PDA

View Full Version : Hi there, I'm Psymon and i'm a freshie!

Psymon
10-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Hi! (I hope I placed this right!)

So I am really considering starting Everquest this weekend, I have never been into Everquest but it looks very much interesting, I have been playing WoW however.

Are there any tips for a rookie like me prior to the launch on Friday who never dwelled into EQ.

Thanks in advance! :)

bubur
10-22-2019, 12:04 AM
It will be a great time to start and ask questions because you'll be surrounded by all walks of eq life if you play at the start of green. There are many helpful and very experienced people out there. Many spastics too, and everything in between. Eq will force you group and interact with others so ask specific questions early in /ooc and listen as you go along.

Think of wow but every mob is an elite, and as you level, they're all red elites. Some classes can solo them but only using clever combinations of their spell mechanics. If that kind of skill cap is attractive to you, play a caster of some sort.

Though on the other hand, for all its complication, eq is really just a text based rpg with 3d graphics (I guess you can say that about any game really but hear me out). My point is, if you like swinging your rpg arms at monsters and seeing big numbers go up as you keep playing, a melee can be very satisfying.

Some of my 2 cp for ya

Nuggie
10-22-2019, 01:01 AM
Welcome! First off, Norrath is tough. Be ready for a stomach punch every now and then. Starting at level 2. It takes much more exp than level 1.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Midoo%27s_EQ_Guide_For_WoW_Refugees

Sounds like it's right up your alley. Disclaimer: I haven't read it, but the title fits.

BlackBellamy
10-22-2019, 01:07 AM
Are there any tips for a rookie like me prior to the launch on Friday who never dwelled into EQ.

Avoid dying at all costs. You lose progress and you wake up naked and helpless and have to find your body to get your stuff back. Do not die.

Sinistria
10-22-2019, 01:38 AM
Welcome! First off, Norrath is tough. Be ready for a stomach punch every now and then. Starting at level 2. It takes much more exp than level 1.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Midoo%27s_EQ_Guide_For_WoW_Refugees

Sounds like it's right up your alley. Disclaimer: I haven't read it, but the title fits.

Nice to read, thank you.
Even if i did not play WoW that much it generaly describes what was different to all the other MMOs i played during the last 20 years.

Avoid dying at all costs. You lose progress and you wake up naked and helpless and have to find your body to get your stuff back. Do not die.

Hey dude, it's EQ. How to avoid dying? :D

Baler
10-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Welcome to project 1999,

Be sure to check out the https://wiki.project1999.com
It has useful information about the server.

Good luck!

BlackBellamy
10-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Hey dude, it's EQ. How to avoid dying? :D

Fight next to the zone line and you know, be real careful. That's how I got my warrior to lv21 before dying to a bugged npc. But that's just bragging and neither here not there. My advice to him is based on his experience in WoW. He probably thinks he can just die and it's no sweat :)

Deathrydar
10-22-2019, 10:38 AM
I remember one of my biggest surprises when I went to WoW from EQ was the fact that when I killed a MOB with a weapon in their hand, I did not get to loot the weapon.

This was foreign to me and I didn't understand. I then realized that weapons in the hand of a MOB meant NOTHING in WoW. In this game, however, not only will you get whatever weapon the MOB is holding of you kill it, the weapon will also change the way the MOB attacks you.

Knicknevin
10-23-2019, 04:37 PM
I'm just getting back into things after a break of about 4 years myself. Caught the news of the Green server by chance, and I'm currently bored as hell of FFXIV (expansion story was amazing, end game content not so much), so it seemed like a good time to pick it up again.

Now to remember what I'm doing again...

magusfire24
10-23-2019, 04:40 PM
I'm just getting back into things after a break of about 4 years myself. Caught the news of the Green server by chance, and I'm currently bored as hell of FFXIV (expansion story was amazing, end game content not so much), so it seemed like a good time to pick it up again.

Now to remember what I'm doing again...

Time to mash that sense heading skill key for days :)

Knicknevin
10-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Time to mash that sense heading skill key for days :)

You have no idea what direction you are facing.

Good times.

It'll give me something to do while I look for a group I suppose... I seem to recall Paladins were not incredibly popular back in the day.

magusfire24
10-23-2019, 05:15 PM
I will group with you. You are better at taking hits in face than my ranger :)