PDA

View Full Version : Test server?

mimixownzall
05-01-2011, 03:57 AM
I imagine that there will be some kind of test server at some point.

We will know what to expect content wise since the server will most likely just be a clone of 1999 (not characters I'm sure).

The testing will obviously be the pvp mechanics.

My question is: Are we all going to start at level 1 like a new server and test, or will chars on p99 be copied over to expedite the testing?

If it is a fresh server for testing, would you consider these things?

1) Vendors that sell research only spells (especially if XP is increased)
2) Spells be reduced in price or something like on the kunark server where we talk to an NPC and they give us spells up to our level (which would work for point 1)

Or is this going to have to be something that is more trial-and-error than anything?

Are you really just going to have to have a few dozen people there casting/hitting eachother to find all the info you need?

Also, do you plan to eventually have some sort of stats page/point system set up?

Thanks for your time.

wehrmacht
05-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Point system used on SZ, no idea if they actually want to implement it:

Scoring System

- The new scoring system will award points to any player who kills another player. If the player is grouped the points will be split between the players in the group. The points awarded will be based on three things:

1. Level of the killer

2. Scoring Modifier

a. Level Difference (Each kill has a base point cost determined by the level of the killer. All subsequent modifiers apply to this base number.)For each level the killer is above or below the victim, the scoring modifier increase by one point. If you kill some one who is higher level than you, you'll gain more points than you will for a lower level character. You will also subtract points from your modifier for killing a player lower level then you.

b. Infamy Difference - Each time you kill another player, points are added to your infamy pool. At certain thresholds a player will gain an infamy level. When a player is killed, the infamy levels are compared and the killer gains a scoring modifier point for each infamy level his victim is above him. He can also lose scoring modifier points for killing someone who is of lower infamy. Infamy will gradually deteriorate while the player is online.

c. Vitality score - When a player is killed their vitality is set to 10. For each 5 minutes they are alive, they will gain back two points of vitality. This vitality total is added directly to the scoring

d. Group bonus - Groups of 4 or more will receive a bonus % of points for each kill. 4/10%, 5/15%, 6/20%.

3. Time since the victim was last killed by the same player. Players that repeatedly kill the same player will see a steep decrease in the amount of points a player is worth. They will gain half the points for the kill they normally would for each time they kill that player in a 24 hour period. After the score has dropped below 1 point, they will begin to lose points for killing the same player.

Example: Frizznik kills Rytan. Frizznik is level 60, while Rytan is level 62 for a level difference of 2. Frizznik has an infamy level of 5, while Rytan has an infamy level of 2, which results in infamy difference of 3. Rytan has not recently been killed, so his vitality is 0. Level Difference + Infamy Difference + Vitality = Scoring Point Modifier or 2 + (-3) + 0.

- Each scoring modifier point adds or subtracts 5% to the base score. Normally Frizznik would gain 100 points for killing Rytan, but because of the scoring point modifier he will gain 95 points instead.

Leader Board

- The leader board tracks the players with the most total PvP. A number of other useful statistics will be available in the leader board.
Point Rewards
- A player's point total is capped based on their level. They cannot gain more points once they hit that cap, although they can gain more infamy. There will be a number of consumable PvP items that will be focused on PvP combat, and will only function against other players.

Macken
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
You are absolute fail bro i mean absolute fail. I've never seen anyone fail so much so often and so hard. You trollin' bro?

that is not SZ's scoreboard formula moron

It's zek's. (of which i was #16 in kills and #8 in points when i quit, and only enchanter in top 100)

My Pedigree is long and flowing bro.

Get on my level.

Macken
05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't think you ever played SZ. That's like the 7th or 8th claim of something concerning SZ that you have been absolutely wrong about.

It's time for you to be censored. If you want to say anything about SZ on boards, you will need to clear it with the SZ Sensei, or be kicked off the court.

I'm sorry, but it's come to this.

Doors
05-01-2011, 06:52 PM
You are absolute fail bro i mean absolute fail. I've never seen anyone fail so much so often and so hard. You trollin' bro?

that is not SZ's scoreboard formula moron

It's zek's. (of which i was #16 in kills and #8 in points when i quit, and only enchanter in top 100)

My Pedigree is long and flowing bro.

Get on my level.

ROFL, SERVED

SERVED

SERVED

Doors
05-01-2011, 07:00 PM
ROFL WORMCHECK BRO, HOWS IT FEEL TO GET

http://phillips.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/20/428mcdonalds0_2.jpg

SERVED.

Macken
05-01-2011, 07:18 PM
SZ was 100 base points modified by 5 points per level difference either way.

Minus 50 points for a second kill within an hour.

Minus 100 points for a 3rd kill within an hour.

I think -50 accumulative points were subtracted for each kill within an hour.

Killing someone your exact level would be worth 100 points. Killing them again within the hour would be worth 50 and a 3rd kill within an hour would be worth 0 points. A fourth, and you would lose points.

Killing someone 20 levels over you would be worth 200 points or 2 kills.

Killing someone 20 levels below you would be worth 0 points.

Killing someone 21 levels below you would be worth minus 5 and so on.

wehrmacht
05-02-2011, 01:05 AM
O god, I could care less that I labeled the patch notes I posted as "SZ" instead of "Zek". It's the only point system I saw in the patch notes that lists the formulas. I didn't even bother reading it. I just posted it if the GM's wanted the formulas for some kind of point system. Nobody cares macken.

All macken posts are like having a little crying child follow you around saying "YOU DIDN't USE A PERIOD IN THAT SENTENCE, U R GAY"

Macken
05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
lol

Macken
05-02-2011, 01:31 AM
you never played SZ

minakto
05-02-2011, 02:58 AM
ricochet

Haul
05-02-2011, 04:23 AM
They don't need formulas for that shit cause its gonna be ffa noob.

lauremore
05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
You don't need points, this isnt a fucking FPS. If there is a red server MAKE IT RZ STYLE. +-5 Llvs, item and coin loot. That is enough to make the game fun and keep some intense competition while not allowing for fuck sticks to gank lowbies. So make it RZ style and let's see people put their money where their mouth is.

Foxx
05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
make server hardcoded teams. also, make it +- like 3 or 4 levels, to limit the griefing. It also would be cool if you can make it so when we die, we respawn with our corpse. this will prevent all the nerds who have nothing better to do than sitting on our corpse for hours on end, just for the sake of griefing.. and points/leaderboard? thats pretty lame, so all the subpar players that troll the boards can farm alt accounts for points and kill shots.

Arillious
05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
You don't need a point system. You fight for zone control. The better groups/guilds will control the better exp and loot areas. Your reward for winning pvp battles is the right to blue it up which puts you further ahead pvp wise. On a ffa pvp server the people with the better gear are usually the ones that are better at pvp.... or better at zerging.

mycutie
05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
yup just make it simple as possible..... just like how it was... fight to live...live to fight.... there will always be the people complaining and whining though.... just ignore them.. lol

Envious
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
make server hardcoded teams. also, make it +- like 3 or 4 levels, to limit the griefing. It also would be cool if you can make it so when we die, we respawn with our corpse. this will prevent all the nerds who have nothing better to do than sitting on our corpse for hours on end, just for the sake of griefing.. and points/leaderboard? thats pretty lame, so all the subpar players that troll the boards can farm alt accounts for points and kill shots.

Spawning with your corpse is just about as faggy as having PnP rules.

Arillious
05-04-2011, 11:37 PM

Automatically spawning with your corpse is probably the worst idea ever suggested. People usually will not corpse camp you unless you deserve it... and if they make a habit of doing it to others as well then the rest of the player base will ussually return the favor for them... in kind.

Doors
05-05-2011, 01:30 AM
You can't have item loot, you idiots are going to need blues to sustain your shitty server. None of them are going to tolerate the amount of hacking plus item loot. Get a fucking clue dipshits.

Arillious
05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
You can't have item loot, you idiots are going to need blues to sustain your shitty server. None of them are going to tolerate the amount of hacking plus item loot. Get a fucking clue dipshits.

I'm a huge fan of item loot. But alas you are right, pvper's need a steady blue population to beat on and if they lose their precious item's they will go back to the blue server.

Darwoth
05-05-2011, 12:40 PM

actually you are a fucking moron given the fact that within 2 months of hitting level 50 the carebears (which made up 80% of the population of rallos zek, interesting that carebears dont play on item loot servers given that fact) will be equipped in primarily no drop armor with the rest of their shit bagged or in the bank. in everquest traditionally the only people to risk gear were the better pvpers, the gimpy zerg gankers never wore any at all and the bluebies sat around in their raid gear that nobody could take.

some kind of tangible reqard/penalty is needed. personally i prefer coin loot + xp death on a pvp kill like sullon had as that eliminated the no drop problem, however item loot similar to rallos would be better than nothing. if your trying to say you won't be able to handle someone potentially ganking you for your patchwork tunic or the like as you level then excuse me while i scoff in your general direction.

Xareth
05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
And if it's hard xp, the 100 naked gnome mages will own the server till planar. No complaints, just sayin.

Should be coin + xp death + random droppable equipped item...that would be fun, eh?

wehrmacht
05-05-2011, 01:36 PM

The reason you can't have item loot has nothing to do with "blue players not being able to handle it". It's because many caster classes can kill people just as easily naked while melee actually have to use gear. That and what Darwoth mentioned about no drop stuff.

Doors
05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Listen if red99 actually happens and you die hards get your way (item loot, exp loss on death, coin loot, ffa - all combined equal out to fucking stupid) expect the population to peak at around 40 players max after the initial interest in the server dies down.

Whenever you're relying on people that aren't full blown dickhead social rejects, ie the p99 playerbase, to help sustain red99 they're not going to tolerate item loot + a playerbase full of notorious hacking virgins. If you want your shitty little server to be successful item loot won't work, ffa won't work, even exp loss on death probably won't work.

I know you all sit around drooling on your keyboards for the day when you can full blown grief the living fuck out of a box's playerbase with your sick MQ skills and these ideas about a ffa server with item loot etc etc but nobody is going to take that shit here so get a clue and wake up if you want to have a somewhat successful pvp box where the population isn't garbage. Besides all I keep reading on this forum is how pvp is all about the glory what the fuck are you crying about pixel loot for now?

naez
05-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Doors either cares wayy too much/butthurt or is going overtroll on us

CANT TELL

Darwoth
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
i havent played eq in 7 years until the last week or so tooling around on p99 in order to get reacquainted with the game in preparation for the red server, since being here i have stumbled onto 5 old school pvpers from rallos and sullon that are doing the exact same thing.

in short some folks are only here at all given the announcement of the red server and a good 50% of the playerbase however large or small it winds up being will not be from the folks like yourself nor the people regailing tales along the lines of......

"9 years ago i played on rallos zek for 3 days and it was neat. then i got pked and lost my bonechips and never went back. gee golly mayhaps i should have sallied forth and given it a darn good second try chap, if they make this new server team based, remove any penalty for dieing and make your corpse teleport to you when you die i do say i may indeed get a character to level 9 this time before quitting"

what you seem to be missing in your zeal to bloviate about how all pvpers are hackers is that the majority of people that will be drawn to this server are folks who played on one of the previous pvp servers in days past, which means that a ruleset mimicking something along the lines of said servers is what they will largely want, if the server does not have said ruleset and instead caters to players like you the majority of the playertype who would have played on it, (like myself) will not and the final population will be much lower than it would have been if the server catered to pvpers at the cost of snubbing those like yourself.

as an aside while i played eq the only hacking i ever stumbled onto were occasional shitheads with showeq, which was annoying but they were still just as killable as anyone else. on discord (the permadeath server...... oooooh scary scary i know) the hacks got downright stupid at week two and that was my first experience with teleport hackers and double bardspeed shadowknights etc, it ended up that way because the server was completely void of any GM attention whatsoever. hopefully this new server has a solution to do away with hackers as that is the single largest threat to its success that i see.

it is certainly not whether the pissy britches blues that think the most fun method of playing the game is to argue about who has camping rights to a gm or debate whether or not it is acceptable to refuse buffs to some mouthbreather screaming "sow plz" decide to play on it or not.

Darwoth
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
coincidentally your signature is purportedly a quote by landrover, which if my memory serves was one of the two biggest hackers on discord. was a number of times they would appear out of the ground, get their asses kicked and vanish to a different zone.

however the quote is a typical hacker "everyone hacked so i did to" excuse train, i was there and was one of the top ranked players until my fucking keyboard locked up and threw me right into the neriak entrance guards (lol) no not "everyone" hacked, indeed 95% of the people playing didn't hack. as the server aged and people died and lost the contest the only people left playing were mostly the hackers who... as mentioned would get their ass kicked and vanish to a different zone thus avoiding death.

my guildmate, awakened, who won the server contest has never hacked in the decade i have known him. he also never got his reward (an item named after him) because sony are a bunch of sorry ******s.

Pudge
05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I know you all sit around drooling on your keyboards for the day when you can full blown grief the living fuck out of a box's playerbase with your sick MQ skills and these ideas about a ffa server with item loot etc etc but nobody is going to take that shit here so get a clue and wake up if you want to have a somewhat successful pvp box where the population isn't garbage. Besides all I keep reading on this forum is how pvp is all about the glory what the fuck are you crying about pixel loot for now?

lol actually i mostly agree with doors here.. item loot is bad for server pop. exp death is bad for server pop.

but i think FFA is necessary.. for teams to work long-term you'd need a system where you could attack your own team, and even be able to switch teams (maybe a long process but still should be there).

wehrmacht
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
lol actually i mostly agree with doors here.. item loot is bad for server pop. exp death is bad for server pop.

but i think FFA is necessary..

Pudge you are a horrible propagandist. FFA is probably the worst thing you can have for population. If some random joe casual player who is a 2/10 in PvP skills rolls a cleric or other weak class, anytime they log on a FFA server, they're going to be dead within 60 seconds and quit.

On a teams based server, you have teams maintaining zone control so they have somewhere to hide out without getting raped 24/7 and they'll continue playing. FFA is also a bullshit term because the server is the exact opposite of what those words mean. It's a forced joining a powerful guild or don't even bother playing server. What is Free for all about that? Nothing.

Null even tries to tailor the resist system to force people to group or zerg and make soloing a nightmare. Everything about this game blows for FFA.

Tonomar
05-05-2011, 08:59 PM
FFA is a must, end game will come down to 1 big guild V. the next big guild.

Gnar
05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Item loot is very fun and rewarding and at the same time very bad for server population. It would never be implemented on a server trying for longevity and a large population.

Darwoth
05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
ffa is the only way to play, even moreso on an emulator where the population will likely be an absolute max of a few hundred (and if it doesnt have at least that many no sense in playing at all), 50% of the players being unattackable is shit and is made worse with a low population.

some kind of lame no pvp carebear flag to level 10 or 15 or something would be infinitely better than team based faggotry, might as well go play wow or rift or some other shit themepark game instead of a 12 year old game emulator with 300 people half of whom you cant do anything to.

i was a solo player the majority of the time i played eq and mostly would be again on a red eq emu, zerg guilds had no effect on me at all then and wouldn't now either. you simply need to roll the correct class to support your playstyle if you dont want to circlejerk with a zerg guild. not make a monk called ninjamaster or a paladin named goodguy and go charging forth into the fray, as for the casual ignorant party doing exactly that and quitting.......

there are going to be few if any genuinely new to eq players signing up for any emulator server let alone a pvp one, so i would think the casual sucky player would roll a class that would be better suited to casual play than one of those that require a guild to play with. the only difference is that ninjamaster and goodguy will quit or reroll at level 20 on a team server when they realize they will never get anywhere with their character outside of a dedicated guild or group of friends instead of level 10 getting bent over at gnoll/orc spawns.

Doors
05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Cool story man, tell us another one.

JayDee
05-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Item loot is very fun and rewarding and at the same time very bad for server population. It would never be implemented on a server trying for longevity and a large population.

Meathead with some semblance of knowledge

georgie
05-05-2011, 10:28 PM

you obviously suck, and should not be permitted into pvp for having stupid suggestions to prevent excessive crying and bitching.

Xareth
05-06-2011, 02:36 AM
HAHAHAHAHA

Good find georgie! Don't know how I missed this gem.

I think you should have to be an even con to hit, only fair way imo.

Thanks for the laughs Foxx :D

Badmartigan
05-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Pudge you are a horrible propagandist. FFA is probably the worst thing you can have for population. If some random joe casual player who is a 2/10 in PvP skills rolls a cleric or other weak class, anytime they log on a FFA server, they're going to be dead within 60 seconds and quit.

On a teams based server, you have teams maintaining zone control so they have somewhere to hide out without getting raped 24/7 and they'll continue playing. FFA is also a bullshit term because the server is the exact opposite of what those words mean. It's a forced joining a powerful guild or don't even bother playing server. What is Free for all about that? Nothing.

Null even tries to tailor the resist system to force people to group or zerg and make soloing a nightmare. Everything about this game blows for FFA.

Guy that rolls the cleric heals other new people that want to exp and play rather than just grief / random pk..

every post i read from you is just fucking retarded

wehrmacht
05-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Guy that rolls the cleric heals other new people that want to exp and play rather than just grief / random pk..

every post i read from you is just fucking retarded

Need a translator because that wasn't even english

Envious
05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Really wish Rog / Null would just tell us the ruleset so ppl can "QQ fuk not playing now" and get done w/ this stupid shit.

Alot of people want hard coded teams, alot want FFA.
Alot want no rules, alot want their hands held.

Just let us know imo so ppl can "QQ fuk" and we can be done with a majority of these stupid ass posts.

Null
05-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Really wish Rog / Null would just tell us the ruleset so ppl can "QQ fuk not playing now" and get done w/ this stupid shit.

Alot of people want hard coded teams, alot want FFA.
Alot want no rules, alot want their hands held.

Just let us know imo so ppl can "QQ fuk" and we can be done with a majority of these stupid ass posts.

When we know, you will know. We are writing novels back and forth in the staff section trying to figure out what we want to do, what is realistic and what we want to leave up to the community.

Badmartigan
05-15-2011, 05:47 PM
When we know, you will know. We are writing novels back and forth in the staff section trying to figure out what we want to do, what is realistic and what we want to leave up to the community.

right on man.. thanks for the update!

Envious
05-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Would love to have access to that forum. =P

Tonomar
05-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the update Null, keep up the great work :).

Misto
05-15-2011, 08:40 PM

think you look cool cussin boy?

http://fapit.net/imgs/1177/boba.JPG

Sythyst
05-19-2011, 01:58 AM
Hey, everyone. I just stumbled across this project about a week ago. The reason I've started playing on the blue server and am now following this site is the potential of a old world PvP server through p99. I'm really impressed so far, and it looks like the crew running this project is damn classy. I'd love to see a Rallos-type pvp server, but even if it's a team server I'd still have a blast. Here's hoping we see this live in the near future.

Haul
05-19-2011, 03:47 AM

LOL wow

Envious
05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Hey, everyone. I just stumbled across this project about a week ago. The reason I've started playing on the blue server and am now following this site is the potential of a old world PvP server through p99. I'm really impressed so far, and it looks like the crew running this project is damn classy. I'd love to see a Rallos-type pvp server, but even if it's a team server I'd still have a blast. Here's hoping we see this live in the near future.

Yeah, everyone gets their panties in a knot as to the type of PvP server, when no matter what they will still show up.

Glad to see the R99 Project is getting some more attention.

mimixownzall
05-22-2011, 09:02 AM

So, this is what is really holding up the progress? Trying to decide what ruleset you want?