PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Names that don't show up on /who

Finawin
03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Can this be fixed? There are a lot of them running about lately.

Aaron
03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I've noticed this too. It can be annoying.

For example, Cazic and Cold both don't return anything in a /who all. Those are the two I remember, but there's been at least a dozen others.

Crone
03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Or Shad.... person was /anon, and I was very appreciative when they buffed me with Druid buffs. Guess that's one way to avoid tells constantly for buffs/ports. /anon and even if not, you wouldn't find them anyway.

Klanghin
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Cazic and Cold

Ive met one who was named after an animal, which also is in EQ.

Those seem to be names which are involved in the game: Cazic and cold, 2 words often seen in EQ i believe thats the problem, on a live server those names would prob. not be aviable to choose.

So im pretty sure if you would name yourself "Skeleton" or something youd have that problem too

Excision Rottun
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
/guildinvite Trakanon

Ferok
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Ive met one who was named after an animal, which also is in EQ.

Those seem to be names which are involved in the game: Cazic and cold, 2 words often seen in EQ i believe thats the problem, on a live server those names would prob. not be aviable to choose.

So im pretty sure if you would name yourself "Skeleton" or something youd have that problem too

More than likely it has to do with them being short for zones and other things related to /who searches (shad - short for shadowknight), but yeah.. you're spot on. I don't think skeleton would be a problem, but ecommons or drui I'm betting would be.

Can't think of what cold is at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's something.

Uaellaen
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
velious, coldain town? i cant remember what the / who results for Thurgadin were, but maybe something with cold? :p

nilbog
03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
coldain outcast
coldain smuggler
coldain ice chipper
coldain war wolf

would probably all give you problems. :o

This is an existing problem from eqlive, for partial or full name searches for players possessing the same name as an npc.

Can this be fixed? There are a lot of them running about lately.

Not sure. Rogean or Haynar would be better suited to answer this one.

Rogean
03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Can't be fixed. The client takes what you type in the /who all command and parses it out into a packet for the server. The client interprets parcial race names and when it sends the packet, it basically tells the server you did a who all on that race number, with no name. What we really should have done instead is put a list of these names in the name filter and not allowed any names to be created that are a partial match to any race names.

LazyFuj
03-11-2010, 09:13 PM
have you tried /w all "name goes here" between quotations

Rogean
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
have you tried /w all "name goes here" between quotations

That should work

flednat
03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Would work if i could use " ' + = none of those keys work when i'm in EQ - but work fine if i alt tab out to another appliation

Finawin
03-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Could always nerf the names that have gotten by...*shrug*

yaaaflow
03-12-2010, 05:04 AM
There is a slight problem in the mechanics of using /who on people with certain names which has a simple work around, but I think those people should be forced to change their names because _______.

Could you finish that sentence please Finawin?

Goobles
03-12-2010, 05:35 AM
I'll take the liberty.... pie

Finawin
04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Bump

There are too many names that don't show up on /who at all, even with the quotes.

I'll start compiling a list.

Omnimorph
04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Wish i'd thought of a cool name to use :/ I saw someone called Dagarn Thedestroyer in NFP the other day :p Think i've seen someone called Eashen too.

Gonna name my alt Vulak :p