PDA

View Full Version : Experience Penalties FINAL

DevGrousis
03-12-2010, 03:47 AM
ok, i know that it has been talked about plenty of times, and yes this is classic so this is how classic is..the reason we play classic is because we dont want to go through all the mistakes the the everquest team made with expansions and ez mode etc. well plain and simple, the experience penalties were a mistake. i play a necro, so its not myself that i am crying for, its the paladins and the shadowknights that our server needs so badly. 40% is absurd. this is something a dug up while readin through the EQ mac forums

Experience Penalties - Resolutions

Over the past week the EverQuest team has been considering experience penalties in all their forms. We had many meetings where the issue was hotly debated from both sides. We had to consider not only the effect on the individualplayer, but also the effect of any changes on the game as a whole. Eventually, we nearly unanimously decided the following:

"
1. Race-based penalties are appropriate. An ogre, for instance, does indeed make a better warrior than a halfling. It is not so little that the faction and size problems make up for it, and not so much that it is really unbalancing at upper levels, but enough that the penalty should apply. Secondly, the penalty is not so severe (compared with class-based penalties) that it would cause groups to break up on the journey from one to sixty due to level differences.

2. Class-based penalties are not appropriate. Classes are roughly equivalent in power throughout the level ranges, and the versatility does not make up for that penalty. In fact, the majority of changes made to classes in the name of balance in the last year were based on the assumption that, at the high end, each class should still be roughly as needed and balanced as any other.

3. Penalties, in any form, should not be shared with the group. Players know that no one class is immensely more powerful/valuable than another, and as such it is not fair to ask them to share a burden. If classes with penalties were really more powerful or valuable than the other classes, then it might be right, but that isn't the case here. Furthermore, sharing of penalties causes people to reject potential group members on the basis of them "sucking" too much experience.

4. We're going to fix it.

5. Class-based experience bonuses (which warriors and rogues get) are also not appropriate, as they cannot be so if penalties are not. However, we've decided to leave this as-is, since the bonus is not so severe as to be unbalancing. Bottom line: we don't feel the bonus is enough to warrant a fix that could be interpreted as a 'nerf'.

(http://everquest.allakhazam.com/editorial/011401_EQ_Producers_letter.html)

lets not wait til Velius comes out to fix this crap. lets do it now so the server can grow and become full of all the classes we need to prosper :D

dont flame me, i just felt really compelled to speak (type) my mind

Goobles
03-12-2010, 03:57 AM
People play the classes they want to anyways. You should have been around in the beginning when people REFUSED to play bards and Rangers.

siinge
03-12-2010, 04:04 AM
necros receive a -10% xp penalty just saying...

xp penalties were classic remove them add in all the kunark spells pls, lowbie rez, summon pet to caster etc...

bring back manastones and de masks so its more "fun" amirite

keep it classic leave in penalties

Pheer
03-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Should have seen the weeks after release. I dont think anybody in the top 20 or 30 highest levels was anything other than an int caster or a druid/shaman except maybe one bard.

My mage was level 50, geared, then farmed/twinked out a shadowknight and had it around 30-35ish before the first sk main char hit 50

Finawin
03-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Class-based penalties are stupid.

Watching a warrior level 5 times in my group before my paladin levels once is fucking stupid.

Race-based penalties I don't think anyone would have a problem with. There are tangible benefits to some races over others that warrant a penalty.

L2Phantom
03-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Class penalties are pointless, that's why they were removed. There were very few aspects of classic that were better left out, but this was one of them.

Zithax
03-12-2010, 05:11 AM

Watching a warrior level 5 times in my group before my paladin levels once is fucking stupid.

Race-based penalties I don't think anyone would have a problem with. There are tangible benefits to some races over others that warrant a penalty.

this

Tsuken
03-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Yes the class penalties should be removed on this server. There is no "classic experience" reason to keep it in my opinion.

40% exp penalty for playing a buggy bard, no way.

Alawen Everywhere
03-12-2010, 05:53 AM
From what I can tell, the development team has a plan for Project 1999. They have put considerably more thought into things than a knee-jerk reaction. Right now, a level 50 troll shadowknight instantly warrants more respect for his or her commitment than a halfling druid of the same level. If that distinction is lost on you, consider playing the hobbit.

aVoided
03-12-2010, 05:58 AM

As much as we are all for classic... knowing the server will never be 100% classic (maybe 99% ?) I think the class based exp penalties could slide into that 1% bracket and we could do without them without hurting the *classic experience* the quote above pretty much has me in agreement having witnessed the same scenerio.

Obviously kudos to those who have and did level through it big badge of honor for you. Really though it's something we could do without.

Ermonican
03-12-2010, 08:17 AM

This again.

Devil
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM

This for the win, the finawin that is.

ryuut1
03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
shuttup. dont play a hybrid.

you heard? Dont play the goddamn combos with penalties unless you're willing to deal.

game, set, match.

ammut
03-12-2010, 09:37 AM
then what? You guys are going to ask for rested xp bonus ala WOW...?

Nobody force you to level up a paly or troll SK. You have at least 6 months to reach level 50. Enjoy the ride and fucking stop complaining.

Finawin
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
There's no logical reasoning behind it.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I leveled my first Troll SK in 1999 with the penalty. I'm leveling one now with the penalty. I love it. I don't want it changed. I like that my class race combo is rare. I like that when I am 50 people will know I worked harder. I like it that many quit along the way and decide to re-roll a different twink who levels faster. The devs may eventually take the penalties away. If they do, so be it. I am overjoyed to have this server to play on, and that it is as classic as it is already, but for my 2 cents... keep the penalties as they are.

drplump
03-12-2010, 10:01 AM
There is only 2 people who play hybrids:
1. People Twinking
2. Scrubs

I think both deserve punishment!

ashecrimson
03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Orge Sk only way to go

Tallenn
03-12-2010, 11:18 AM
After further consideration, I have decided that I don't really care after all. Sorry hybrids :p

nilbog
03-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, the penalties aren't going away due to bitching. Sorry OP, I know that wasn't your intent.

Moving to Rants and Flames.

Flame on.

btw, we had to go out of the way to enable the penalties. I leveled a half elf paladin to 60 prior to the penalties being taken away on live. Don't play hybrids if you don't want penalties.

Tryfaen
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Orge Sk only way to go

watch out if you keep talking like this Brutillus might add you to his friends list.

Aaron
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
There are already more paladins and SKs than warriors. Why would anyone ever play a warrior if there is no benefit?

Removing a penalty from the rangers I could deal with, since even with a 200% exp bonus they still suck. :p

Also...

Hey, we need another poll for shit that isn't going to change.

Why not make another poll for ooc to be removed?

So much QQing.

Ferok
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
There are already more paladins and SKs than warriors. Why would anyone ever play a warrior if there is no benefit?

Come Kunark, there is no substitute for a Warrior.

Ermonican
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
It is amazing how some people attack others for expressing an opinion. Those type of people tend to be fucking assholes. (just my opinion)

Alawen Everywhere
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
It is amazing how some people feel such a sense of entitlement that they presume to micro-manage our capable and dedicated development staff.

Aaron
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
It is amazing how some people attack others for expressing an opinion. Those type of people tend to be fucking assholes. (just my opinion)

It's perfectly fine to bash people for expressing their opinions, especially if their opinions have been beaten to death and heard over and over and over. This thread didn't bring anything new to the table. No new argument that we haven't heard before.

Jokesteve
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Personally I like the penalties the way they are for Ogre/Troll. This keeps fatties down to a minimum.

As for the hybrid penalties they are right on target for obvious reasons.

Finally I'd like to point out that stupid whining like the OP here is why live sucks donkey dick.

Plz don't make p1999 suck donkey dick.

Regards,
Jokesteve

DevGrousis
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah, the penalties aren't going away due to bitching. Sorry OP, I know that wasn't your intent.

Moving to Rants and Flames.

Flame on.

btw, we had to go out of the way to enable the penalties. I leveled a half elf paladin to 60 prior to the penalties being taken away on live. Don't play hybrids if you don't want penalties.

EHH.. i knew i'd get at least one dev response..but for the time it took me to make the post, i think i deserved a more cultivated response than 'stfu play'

dont play a hybrid if you dont want penalties.

/who all druid/necro
NecroQuest or DruidQuest. you take your pic

i'm just wanting the game to be more rounded. i dont wanna not pick a paladin, which BTW has ZEROOO reason for a penalty in respect to the int classes who can solo and get groups and port and buff lol

nilbog
03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
lol. My answer wasn't cultivated enough because I've responded to the same thread, different name like 20 times prior to this. It was discussed, at length, in beta. I myself found that same post over a year ago; it was then talked about and researched. This isn't my first day at this particular rodeo.

What makes everquest.. classic for one person might differ for the next person. To me, classic everquest was experience penalties, bad gear, and a depletable stamina bar, among other things.

The whole fact that it IS indeed classic, and people DO want it to stay should be enough reason for anyone. It's like saying we should take the snakes out of qeynos because 40% of the people think we should.

No offense to you, but, my response is still about the same.

Don't play hybrids if you don't want penalties.i'm just wanting the game to be more rounded.I understand where you're coming from, but balanced is NOT classic everquest.

Hasbinbad
03-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I AM SICK AND MOTHERFUCKIN' TIRED OF THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' SNAKES IN MOTHERFUCKIN' QEYNOS!!!
http://www.petemandik.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/snakes.jpg

Pikle
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Well I think I said this on some of the other prior threads about this topic, but no one seems to bring it up. The XP penalty has roots back to D@D where if you chose a paladin because they were a combination of 2 good classes, then you got a penalty. It's been that way for so long no reason to change it now. I realize people aren't happy about it and think it's some crazy conspiracy to keep the little man down. But it's not a big deal. I made a halfling druid because guess what!? I could lvl him fast! So if you have a problem with the damn penalties it's real easy not to play them. If the stove is too hot, don't touch it, if the class takes to long to lvl for you, don't play it.

IT'S THE WAY IT WAS AND THE WAY IT WILL BE! DEAL WITH IT, make a hobbit :)

Anuril
03-12-2010, 08:31 PM
There's no logical reasoning behind it.

Huge ASSumption there buddy. Some things happen for no logical reason. Crazy talk I know. But in this case I think Pikler provided yer coveted logic.

Lanor
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Huge ASSumption there buddy. Some things happen for no logical reason. Crazy talk I know. But in this case I think Pikler provided yer coveted logic.

Finawin doesn't have opinions or assumptions, only facts. Don't even bother trying to argue with him.

Pikle
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
haha Finawin knows his shit, but like most of us he's pretty stubborn when he thinks/knows he is in the right. I love finawin to death, and honestly wouldn't like him so much if he was a pansy :)

Tsuken
03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
One question, when were the class exp penalties taking off Everquest Live?

DevGrousis
03-13-2010, 03:41 PM
ok well it is what it is :D

see you guys in game lol

redghosthunter
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
make a Hobbit? no no they called Kender, and wheres my Hoopok

Hasbinbad
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
make a Hobbit? no no they called Kender, and wheres my Hoopok
caught in your topknot

Aeolwind