PDA

View Full Version : Why did I make a melee?

Ronnie555
03-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I forgot they can't do shit in EQ.

Can't gate to town, can't sow. Can't even fawking bind myself. I rely on casters like a 2 year old kid relies on his parents. Can't port of course, can't solo or camp good mobs. At least I'm a monk so I can dungeon crawl at higher levels w/ FD, get to the good stuff, etc. Would be a lot worse as another melee I suppose.

I'm not sure why I'm complaining, that's just how the game is I guess. But it seems terribly unbalanced to the point where I'm kicking myself for not making yet another mage or necro =/

Ferok
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
You like noticing a discernible difference when you get a shiny new piece of gear?

Wasn't until flowing thought items (high-end velious, maybe one-or-two from Kunark i cant remember) and focus items (PoP) that casters got anywhere near the benefit from their gear that melee classes do.

Just sayin'.

Ronnie555
03-15-2010, 12:31 PM
You like noticing a discernible difference when you get a shiny new piece of gear?

Wasn't until flowing thought items (high-end velious, maybe one-or-two from Kunark i cant remember) and focus items (PoP) that casters got anywhere near the benefit from their gear that melee classes do.

Just sayin'.

meh.. that hardly balances it IMO. In fact it could almost be spun as an advantage, if you think of it like- casters really don't need much highend gear to be effective.

Melees need gear. If they're poor, they're out of luck. Meanwhile, the casters who can farm for thousands of plat per day at high lvls, don't even need items. That's what you're saying right?

casters also get new spells every few levels. new spells are like new gears. You don't take hits, or hit mobs. That's what gear is for. You cast spells. new spells = new gear

Ermonican
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
If I am remembering correctly, gate spells come out in Velious which should take a bit of the sting out of being dependent all the time. Sow potions are also an option ;)

But yeah, being a melee in EQ is no walk in the park compared to some other classes. Still fun though!

Gorgetrapper
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Also, an ungeared lvl 50 mage can sit there and farm guards all day, sell the weapons and shit found on corpses, and make thousands easily. All the while, not taking one faction hit.

Ferok
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
meh.. that hardly balances it IMO. In fact it could almost be spun as an advantage, if you think of it like- casters really don't need much highend gear to be effective.

Melees need gear. If they're poor, they're out of luck. Meanwhile, the casters who can farm for thousands of plat per day at high lvls, don't even need items. That's what you're saying right?

casters also get new spells every few levels. new spells are like new gears. You don't take hits, or hit mobs. That's what gear is for. You cast spells. new spells = new gear

It's not exactly the same. In Kunark, there were a handful of spells that were difficult to get your hands on. I remember in SoL there was a wizard spell that only dropped off Emporer Ssra; that was the closest it ever got to spells being an elite drop. PoP had level 65 spells being only off certain high-end mobs as well, but gear was pretty balanced at that point and the "high-end" mobs weren't that high end, and it wasn't long before everyone had theirs.

Thats kind of the difference. With spells, everyone gets theirs. Not the same at all with gear.

Realistically, with regard to class balance, all of the classes are aimed at being balanced in groups, and in a raid. We could discuss their individual merits in this regard, but that's probably off-topic. In no way are classes aimed at being balanced in Solo PVE. This is painfully obvious, and extends beyond the realm of just pure melee (though they may be the worst shafted in the solo realm).

NotInventedHere
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Don't forget your shiny 20% xp penalty because you can kill stuff naked, and fd(eventually). Which necros can also do but only get 10%. The extra 10% is for being able to bust out sweet karate moves.

Atennu
03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff255/Pull_Up_A_Chair/Waaambulance.jpg

Striiker
03-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Can't gate to town, can't sow. Can't even fawking bind myself. I rely on casters like a 2 year old kid relies on his parents. Can't port of course, can't solo or camp good mobs. At least I'm a monk so I can dungeon crawl at higher levels w/ FD, get to the good stuff, etc. Would be a lot worse as another melee I suppose.

I'm not sure why I'm complaining, that's just how the game is I guess. But it seems terribly unbalanced to the point where I'm kicking myself for not making yet another mage or necro =/

Well, you might want to consider rolling a new character in a class which you feel is at an advantage. You need to consider your play style as well. If you plan on soloing a lot, then you want a class which will do better in this regard (Necro's for example).
It's a fact that pure melee types were at a soloing disadvantage. It was a fact back in the day and there was no end to the long forum posts decrying the injustice of such an imbalance. Of course we all know that this marked the beginning of the long spiral into mess which we now know as EQ Live as classes classes were retooled to nerf or add abilities. The interdependence of classes is what made EQ so great in the early days. Yes, some people could solo but you could always tell who they were because they sucked when they grouped. The reason for them sucking is because they never really learned how to effectively play their class in groups. I played an enchanter and made sure that I grouped as much as possible and it showed then and shows now as I can effectively play in a group.
I rolled a warrior and for a while in old EQ and my first character ever was a paladin on Fennin Ro so I know your pain. I wound up rolling a Wizard on Fennin Ro as I had a need to solo a lot due to real life stuff..

Ronnie555
03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff255/Pull_Up_A_Chair/Waaambulance.jpg

u a necro or mage brah?

oh maybe a druid?

imcrunchy
03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
i rolled a melee? why? cuz i wanted to rock!

Modus
03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Melee should get a 30 second bind, and 30 second gate ability. And they should also implement a "Return Home" ability on character select screen, so that after having logged the character for 6+ hours you can return to your bind.

In Kunark, melees begin to vastly improve in relative power. Inexplicably, mage pets are still more powerful than 3/4 of classes in the game...

Modus

Haynar
03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
You rolled a melee, because you knew my melee mitigation revamp would be done soon and wanted to get a head start on the mass influx of people making melee characters?

Haynar

Crone
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Going to have to do some research on that one and figure out what it was. haha

Spud
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Its true though.. melees have it rough lol. I forget what its like to not be able to gate out of whatever nasty far flung corner of norrath you may be in.

I wouldnt change a damn thing though.

Scrooge
03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Ronnie, it may be true that melees are much more dependant on gear than casters. However, having good friends can balance out virtually any woe you may be having, whether it's gear, grouping, money, whatever.

Despite the many children who play here, there are good players around as well, especially in Divinity!

Ronnie555
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Ronnie, it may be true that melees are much more dependant on gear than casters. However, having good friends can balance out virtually any woe you may be having, whether it's gear, grouping, money, whatever.

Despite the many children who play here, there are good players around as well, especially in Divinity!

you're right. I've only been playing 2 weeks but i have made a lot of friends!

My alt will be a caster but until then there are always helpful people out there willing to sow/invis, etc.

Crone
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Just wait until primals come out. Oh MAN! *drool*

Trimm
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
You rolled a melee, because you knew my melee mitigation revamp would be done soon and wanted to get a head start on the mass influx of people making melee characters?

Haynar

^^^ How are people ignoring this? Haynar is the bestest.

Ferok
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Its true though.. melees have it rough lol. I forget what its like to not be able to gate out of whatever nasty far flung corner of norrath you may be in.

I wouldnt change a damn thing though.

Hello Thurgadin pots!

Danth
03-19-2010, 05:51 AM
EQ is what it is, warts and all.

Just be glad you didn't play a melee back in October. It was pretty rough.

Danth

mitic
03-19-2010, 06:27 AM

classic = casters paradise
kunark = melees vendetta

just wait or play the ez way

Ghesta
03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
But it seems terribly unbalanced to the point where I'm kicking myself for not making yet another mage or necro =/

http://childstoryhour.com/images/coloring/Qq.jpg

You could always spend your downtime coloring. :)

Kinamur1999
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM
We all made a melee for the same reason, to hate on casters!

Hate!Hate!Hate!Hate!Hate!

Ronnie555
03-19-2010, 12:14 PM
http://childstoryhour.com/images/coloring/Qq.jpg

You could always spend your downtime coloring. :)

no idea what qq means.. too lazy to google it.

Yoite
03-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Quail Quiffs

Trimm
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Haynar

!

Ghesta
03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
no idea what qq means.. too lazy to google it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=qq

Took 5 seconds to google and load. That's hella lazy.

HeallunRumblebelly
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi, I'm a cleric. I haven't solo'd a mob since level 3. Wait no there was that one time in unrest i nuked some <_<. More to the point, I can still make thousands of platinum a day. Hell, Tuesday made plenty of money just trading for a few weeks. Just be creative--no you can't charm solo like a god, pacifying through walls to a target (lolwut) or chain 200 mana 3000 hp pets, but hey, you could find something to make cash? o_O

Brut
03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I camped Fishbone Earring twice in me early 30s for plat. As long as any 50 druid doesn't gate there a minute before spawn, spot him without rod and go absolute douchebag-mode on you, is good. Boring camp, sure, but needed to get out of those fine plates somehow!

Haynar
TBH I'm kind of frightened that the future patch note will read "Melee classes weren't taking as much damage as they were in classic, they have been gimpified properly now." ><

Finawin
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi, I'm a cleric. I haven't solo'd a mob since level 3. Wait no there was that one time in unrest i nuked some <_<. More to the point, I can still make thousands of platinum a day. Hell, Tuesday made plenty of money just trading for a few weeks. Just be creative--no you can't charm solo like a god, pacifying through walls to a target (lolwut) or chain 200 mana 3000 hp pets, but hey, you could find something to make cash? o_O

Pfft, I remember you lulling some mobs for my paladin pulling when you were like 26 :P

You were there for quite a while doing pretty well solo.

Yilza Moosik
03-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Haynar

Cant wait! Thumbs up :D

mitic
10-18-2011, 05:44 PM

and on top of it, hybrids get a neg40% on exp!

Diggles
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
mitic rerolled necro

mitic
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
mitic rerolled necro

necro is boring and i dont wana waste my time recasting pets everytime i zone

Thetruth
10-19-2011, 02:59 AM

The truth is,

Your a whiney little bitch!

dude
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
The dude has 2 warriors gonna make a 3rd in about 2 weeks or so. I was thinking of setting up 2 accounts 1 all warriors the other all necro's different races of course.