PDA

View Full Version : Paladin or Shadowknight

kumaladin
07-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Which one should I roll and why? I am having trouble choosing which one.

PurelyElf
07-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Paladin because shadowknights are evil. Who wants to be a bad guy? :/

Ektar
07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
shadowknight because I don't like other paladins.

but seriously their roles in groups are very, very similar. They differ a bit more in raids but are still similar. I choose paladin because I'd have sex with the idea of a paladin if I could. If you don't care about being a holy knight or an evil mofo sonbitch, then just look at their abilities.. they're fairly straight forward. In addition to tanking, paladins heal and protect, and shadowknights harm and deceive.

Autotune
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
kumaladin
--paladin

you have your answer sir.

Stormlight
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Feign Death is nice for the shadow knights.

If you're a coward.

Arkanjil
07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
I like it when Paladin's lay their hands all over me.

Ektar
07-28-2011, 02:09 PM
I like it when Paladin's lay their hands all over me.

that's my move. don't fucking steal it.

daydrem knows.

Arkanjil
07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Does Daydrem still play?

Ektar
07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
no or I'd be running around norrath trying to lay my hands on her~

kumaladin
07-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Ok I think I'm going to have to go with paladin. I think the ability to heal and protect as a tank is much better than doing damage. Paladins are also sexier than shadowknights.

Ektar
07-28-2011, 02:30 PM
you, sir, have earned my contempt!

but yes I agree :p

leefyg
07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Paladins #1

kumaladin
07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone want to give me some starting items to help out a fellow paladin?

Striiker
07-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I have always liked Shadowknights because of the whole story around them.. Evil Knight!
The very first character I made on Live was a Paladin. I played him to 17 and wound up leaving him to roll a Wizard. Paladins are in short supply on the server so you will have access to that cheap costing Paladin only armor and items (cheap because there's not enough Paladins to create a demand for the supply).
I guess go with the style that you like best. I've grouped with both classes and love having them!

Estu
07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Not a huge difference between the classes. Most people go SK because of superior troll/ogre stats and abilities, feign death, somewhat better solo ability, and probably wanting to be all cool and evil. Hence, as Striiker noted, you will have an easier time getting good gear at low prices as a paladin. This isn't to say that paladins are a worse class: lay hands is more useful than harm touch, and having heals and stuns is also great.

Autotune
07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Anyone want to give me some starting items to help out a fellow paladin?

nope

greatdane
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Paladins are excellent group tanks and get some pretty decent support spells. They actually heal almost as well as a druid, and their buffs are alright for a hybrid class. They don't get a very wide variety of spells, but the ones they do are generally stronger than what the other hybrids get. Not great soloing capacity, but they can do it if they have to, better than warriors/rogues/clerics at least.

Shadowknights are slightly more convenient group tanks than paladins because they can hold aggro with a 10-mana spell. Paladin stuns cost too much for them to never have downtime while a shadowknight can keep going forever if he doesn't have to cast anything but Disease Cloud. They're also underrated soloers and can do really well up until like 40, and tolerably afterwards. They have more interesting spells than paladins, a wider range of utility, and can serve as pullers on raids due to being sturdy and having Feign Death. Shadowknights also have access to the fat races that have much better stats for a tank and the ability to bash with a two-hander.

I'd say the shadowknight class is a little "better" while paladin is a little easier to play and has support spells that aren't completely useless in a group. They're especially good in an emergency, having Lay on Hands, decent heals, and the ability to rez if nobody else can. If the group is kinda weak and struggling, a paladin will be more appreciated. For more well-rounded play and the option of soloing adequately, shadowknight holds the edge. They also have much better tradeable gear in Kunark, which is why they've become one of the most popular alt classes.

Ektar
07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Shadowknights are slightly more convenient group tanks than paladins because they can hold aggro with a 10-mana spell. Paladin stuns cost too much for them to never have downtime while a shadowknight can keep going forever if he doesn't have to cast anything but Disease Cloud.

first, this is simply not true. flash of light costs like 8 mana or something, and is all you need to cast (and is far better than disease cloud for tanking purposes, especially when breaking a mez)

second, any knight that needs downtime above the casters (who hopefully won't need downtime) is doing it wrong

greatdane
07-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Flash of Light costs a bit more than Disease Cloud and isn't quite as reliable. Shadowknights have pretty much guaranteed aggro for the entire fight for 10 mana. Paladins can't do that. For shadowknights, that 10 mana per kill is just enough, sometimes actually not enough, to sustain through the 1/tick standing regen. A paladin (without clarity/bardsong) cannot be more efficient in that way, it's guaranteed to be less. With a good group, the tank should never have time to sit down, and the shadowknight has a slight advantage in that department since his aggro costs a little less mana.

Maurk
07-28-2011, 03:35 PM
SK's can hold better aggro than paladins.

Try grouping with a shadowknight of the same level, and compete for aggro. The shadowknight will win unless you cheat and root the mob for proximity aggro.

Maurk
07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Now in terms of snap aggro, Paladins win hands down.

greatdane
07-28-2011, 03:55 PM
FoL/root-tanking also relies more on the blind/proximity mechanic than on the threat generated by the spell, so resisted casts don't do as much good whereas you don't need to give a shit whether DC gets resisted.

Ektar
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
ok blind is 12 mana. honestly 2 mana doesn't make a difference and they are essentuially the same.

I've competed with SKs and won.

blind hasn othing to do with proximity like root does.

and I've been in groups without clarity/bard song and never lost agro while never needing downtime. Like I said, any paladin needing downtime is doing it wrong

so rereading your shpiel I see you're saying PURE numbers.. I guess in that case the 2 mana would count? but that's like arguing that a 55 inch dick is better than a 54.99 inch dick - the situation will never arise where you'd know the difference. besides, the actual, nonagro effect of blind vs DC is better.

Cribanox
07-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Paladin: Your own 90 rez. That spells win right there.

loobusk
07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Don't die.

Ektar
07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
sometimes the paladin's gotta sacrifice himself for the greater good~

then get 90% back.

Brut
07-28-2011, 08:12 PM
He already picked paladin? Pfft, just remember you'll be playing a ranger without DW and only half the spells.
Not biased or anything, although I do wish that all pallys would catch on fire repeatedly at their bind points. Rotten lot with their flame-y ego swords. Their 15/30 1handers from lvl30 mobs. Their bloody fiery avengers that rain down on them if they as much as look towards PoSky. Their lousy Lightblade charnames. And their messy word-mess with all that valorous righteous holy might justice purity virginity of light of goody-two-shoesdom.

Ektar
07-28-2011, 08:29 PM
15/34 THANKS