PDA

View Full Version : The blasphemous thread

Taminy
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
In this thread...

Discuss anything you thought was a positive change that was introduced the day Luclin launched or after.

I was going to say surefall port, but I guess that came out about a month before Luclin.

EDIT: this is not a request for non-classic changes to be put in game.

Pikle
03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Can we just say that we like Classic, Kunark and Velious and just leave it at that? Other than PoP raid quest advancement... it all sucked! haha kidding

Otto
03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I loved LDON and wish it came out after velious so the server would go to LDoN and then stop there.

LDoN was fun for me and my RL buddies, I got to stop caring about the server for a bit.

Tryfaen
03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
guild window
raid window

Aeolwind
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Most of the encounters in Luclin I liked. I liked the Shissar & the 2 Combine factions, The Grimlings, the red dudes, and Griegs End. The Deep was interesting, the Thought Horrors should have been expounded upon.

VT COULD have been cool, but it was just too damn long/large.

Anything not mentioned here I hated, other than UI improvements.

Luclin itemization is the last expansion where it was not absolutely retarded and still contained the 125hp/mana cap. After that, when that cap was breached it got WAY out of hand.

Abacab
03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Flagging

It was awesome to be the only guild in EP and slaughter RZ and Sol Ro to cock block other guilds from entrance so you could take your time and farm the zone to piss

Malrubius
03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I actually thought that LoY was a nice little expansion.

Yes, it brought some mechanical stuff that was terrible, like the map overlay functionality. And the lizard mounts were goofy. And the charm slot was unnecessary.

Come to think of it, most of LoY sucked, but I liked the zones and mobs. :D

Rifter
03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Alternate Advancement was the best addition to EQ in any expansion. It extended your main's life well past the level cap beyond logging in to raid and made camping items for hours on end sightly less painful, assuming it was a high level camp of course.

Aside from that, I enjoyed every expansion I played until I quit well into Gates of Discord.

Ferok
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
SoL: The only thing wrong with the expansion were the horses, the models, and the bazaar. I'd keep everything else, honestly. Even the Nexus wasn't so bad. Acted as a decent way to get between the continents, but it hardly Elimintated the need for druids/wizard. Could have used some more interesting dungeons for people to kill in, however. Seemed like they were all deserted.

PoP: Take out Tranquility, Knowledge, and Spirit Healers. Everything else was great.

LoY: I don't really care for this expansion. Playable frogloks is cool I guess. Armor dyes ruined the game.

LDoN: Seem to remember some convoluted system where you could buy loot after so many times through a dungeon. Pretty lame. I'd prefer sweet drops. Otherwise a decent expansion, got ya going back to some old zones again.

GoD: Great expansion that too few ever saw. Had the very best raids I was ever a part of in EQ; and I did everything up until GoD. Really like this expansion, however the mobs/zones were sorta dreary. Also, I honestly don't remember alot of content for a non-time equipped guild (although, the content for a time equipped guild was quite terrific.)

Rifter
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Also, I honestly don't remember alot of content for a non-time equipped guild (although, the content for a time equipped guild was quite terrific.)

There was none. Maybe tipt/vxed if you had a decent chanter. Weapon Master with EP gear I guess.

Aeolwind
03-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Breakdown in communication....greatest......quest............EV ER.

Taminy
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Interesting replies so far. I'll add some of my own thoughts, especially based on what Ferok said.

SoL: The only thing wrong with the expansion were the horses, the models, and the bazaar. I'd keep everything else, honestly. Even the Nexus wasn't so bad. Acted as a decent way to get between the continents, but it hardly Elimintated the need for druids/wizard. Could have used some more interesting dungeons for people to kill in, however. Seemed like they were all deserted.

Agreed, for the most part. I did like Luclin. Like you said the Nexus wasn't horrible (kind of like waiting for boats, I guess). Remember before the Bazaar worked? That's when Luclin was good.

I did not care for the horses or models either.

Yes, the dungeons were underutilized except for SSRA and VT for raiders (single groups almost never used SSRA) and Paludal for lowbies. This could have been improved. Also, very important: no dragons in Luclin, just aliens :( I guess one was "godlike" though.

Luclin AAs were good. There weren't absurd amounts of them, and were more about character customization than about required experience (see PoP and later).

I felt too that Luclin finally "completed" the world. Everything from the old world to Luclin could and was used (other than typical abandoned zones) from people leveling up to people AAing the farming. Hell you could still get AAs in SolB and permafrost at max level.

PoP: Take out Tranquility, Knowledge, and Spirit Healers. Everything else was great.

The raid encounters in PoP were awesome, and some of the zones were really pretty art wise. Killing gods was cool.

However, contrast what PoP was with my last paragraph about Luclin. PoP truly killed the old world. Nobody had any reason to use any of the old world (vanilla through Luclin) except for leveling up to 46-50 or so. With the ZEMs and item rewards there was no reason to stay anywhere but in the planes of power, and the old world died. Combine this with:

1. Instant travel
2. A true "hub" zone with PoK/PoT. Nexus, Bazaar, Shadowhaven, Freeport, and Thurgadin weren't nearly as much of hubs as PoK/PoT was.
3. Itemization well beyond the 125hp cap.
4. Needing a raid for pretty much every part of the flagging process. I never got to time, but it was really annoying just to get the entire guild into the elementals.

Also, required AAs to not get slaughtered as a tank or have pathetic dps or heals etc. And charm was way OP. Mobs hit like trucks but didn't summon and had low resists.

LoY: I don't really care for this expansion. Playable frogloks is cool I guess. Armor dyes ruined the game.

Didn't care for it either - felt like paying for a patch. And the zones I did visit tended to be quite laggy.

LDoN: Seem to remember some convoluted system where you could buy loot after so many times through a dungeon. Pretty lame. I'd prefer sweet drops. Otherwise a decent expansion, got ya going back to some old zones again.

SOE definitely tried to do something different witht his one but I didn't like it. Doing runs over and over was annoying - and it was supposed to be an alternative for casuals to gear up, but all the hp/ac and aggro augs for a tank made it almost "required", and running it over and over again 100 times for an aggro or hp aug was no fun.

GoD: Great expansion that too few ever saw. Had the very best raids I was ever a part of in EQ; and I did everything up until GoD. Really like this expansion, however the mobs/zones were sorta dreary. Also, I honestly don't remember alot of content for a non-time equipped guild (although, the content for a time equipped guild was quite terrific.)

Yeah it didn't seem there was much out there with GoD. It was also horribly buggy at launch, and that's pretty much when I quit.

Gwence
03-17-2010, 02:19 AM
GoD was tuned for level 70 characters but it was released while the cap was level 65, people say it was bugged because you had to be full potime gear to handle most of the early tier stuff in that expansion.

But regardless, anything pre-Uqua was not that difficult.

Luclin was one of the best expansions for raiders because of group buffs, and mgb aa. The zones werent that xp friendly for grouping but alot of people liked to solo in UP, or Maiden's. Most people would still xp in Kunark/Velious zones during Luclin. Also aa's werent fast at all during Luclin, there was only a handful of people on my server that had 100 before PoP was released.

Luclin is classic imho!

Tallenn
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I liked AA, and SOME of the Luclin zones. I also liked some of the spells (KEI!)

Bazaar, I can take it or leave it.
Horses, I can take it or leave it.

New models? SUCKED. I still like the old models better.
Aliens? SUCK
Nexus? Didn't much care for it, but if it had been on a longer timer, making using it comparable to boats, I think more people would have accepted it.

Excision Rottun
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Fading Memories

/melody

....nuff said.

Crone
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
I remember loving LDoN because it was the first time in EQ that you had to be a mobile group to complete something. No more just sitting in 1 spot for hours.

Trimm
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
If I had to pick 1 addition that was Post-Velious, it'd be AAs. It gave you a reason to log in and join an exp group at max level. The rewards were great and really defined some of the classes (AM3 + EQ anyone?).

The (old) Bazaar I didn't mind so much, because you still needed to be physically logged into the game unlike Wow's auction house. Also finding spots on top of crates or on high-traffic corners to park bazaar mules was kinda fun. Why they changed it to the red and blue dragon hall portal bullshit I'll never understand.

Nexus made sense that you needed a way to teleport to the moon, and you still had to travel to the spires and wait for the timer. Also who never sat around at the spire waiting 15 minutes just to see everyone but you port up, because you forgot to hail the NPC and get a travel shard.

PoP in general I liked, if for nothing else the tiered content and gigantic boss models. It really felt like an accomplishment when you got to kill a god or two. PoK really was the beginning of EZ-Mode and the death of Everquest for me.

guineapig
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
guild window
raid window

I second both of these!!!

Hildatoon
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I loved the deep. I spent a lot of time there when we were getting S.O.D. keyed for VT farming shards and sap.
The temple (ssra or something like that) was a good time as well. Nothing like butchering naga looking men while farming enough weapons for the guild to kill the emp.
Horses were a bit dumb. As a tank I never saw a need for one but the casters seemed to love them.

guineapig
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I actually feel like AA's ruined the game for me (despite the fact that I miss many of the AA abilities I had).

My reasoning:

I quite enjoy leveling up all sorts of different characters. Once AA's were introduced, (especially after POP AA's) every time I decided to play an alt instead of my main I was essentially letting my main character fall behind the curve and it felt like shit.

The thought of essentially leveling up forever makes me sick. When I hear about people playing today with 5000+ AA's I literally want to barf and am so glad I quit the game when I did.

I enjoy having a high cap on things.
I like being able to semi-retire a character.
Save it for raids, helping out guildies, exploring new quests or whatever.
I enjoy having the time to play a different character and not feel like I'm gimping my main by doing so.

Hildatoon
03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I actually feel like AA's ruined the game for me (despite the fact that I miss many of the AA abilities I had).

My reasoning:

I quite enjoy leveling up all sorts of different characters. Once AA's were introduced, (especially after POP AA's) every time I decided to play an alt instead of my main I was essentially letting my main character fall behind the curve and it felt like shit.

The thought of essentially leveling up forever makes me sick. When I hear about people playing today with 5000+ AA's I literally want to barf and am so glad I quit the game when I did.

I enjoy having the time to play a different character and not feel like I'm gimping my main by doing so.

I agree. I tried going back to eq a couple years ago and got tells asking how maney AA I had before I could find a group. I also remember feeling like I couldn't try a new class because I just needed 4 more aa for the next ability. It got old fast.

Shaun421
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I actually liked the idea of SoL very much. After going through classic and two expansions of amazing content, fighting dragons and giants and discovering continents of lizard men and ice and all that, feeling like a bad ass for killing everything the gods have thrown at you, it was humbling and frustrating at the same time to warp up to the moon and have them tell you that the whole time you have been dicking around down on the planet fighting flying lizards, they have been protecting you from aliens. Very random turn of events, very saturday morning cartoon, and I could see why some would be turned off by it, but honestly, where else would you go?

I never had a problem with the Nexus. In fact, I made more money parking my dads wizard in nexus advertising ports since everyone had a way to GET to me.

I loved the new models, with the exception of a couple races (like ogres). Some of the patterns on the armor were beautiful, even though the armor made everyone look buff. A lot of the zones were neat. I liked killing aliens, a nice change of pace to different colored orcs/goblins/giants/etc. I mean come on, those giant centipedes were awesome.

Ferok
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM

My reasoning:

It did make it hard to play twinks, I'll give you that.

Same time, it gave you a reason to take your ridiculous raid-geared character back to ordinary dungeons and show off your mettle. I can remember getting in a group in Bastion of Thunder where the cleric was convinced that their heals were broken.

That's part of the fun in the game, and while I get the idea that it's nice to be able to put a character away... what's the fun in having all this gear that you only use on spawn day?

Loke
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I actually didn't dislike Luclin as an expansion, and don't know why people hate it so much. I agree that Everquest peaked with velious, and that Luclin was in no way as good of an expansion as Kunark and Velious, but lets get real... Kunark and Velious were ridiculously awesome. Just because they were so good, doesnt necessarily mean Luclin was horrible.

Luclin did have a lot of time sinks, and VT made me want to strangle people.. but it did have a lot of positives.
-Ssra and other raid zones (minus VT) had some really interesting and fun encounters.
-There were a lot of nice spells that were introduced.
-AAs were a way for max level characters to advance without being too over-powering or trivializing past content.
-As Aeol said, items were not too over-powering as they still adhered to the 125 cap (although I think PoP raising level cap trivialized past content more so than the items)

Even things that were frowned upon weren't that bad. The spire system was actually kind of neat imo as a melee class. Unlike the PoK book system, the spire system in luclin still made you wait and had a very limited number of locations

All in all, I thought Luclin was a rather decent expansion. I even thought that PoP raid wise was a pretty cool expansion (everything else was pretty horrible though). Just my 2 cents though.

Edit: Also, as for Bazaar... Bazaar was lame in the fact that it killed ECtunnel trading. However, it really became a new ECtunnel imo as everyone bound there. I can't even count the hours I spent after raids messing around with random people in the arena. The trade aspect of the ECtunnel died with the bazaar, but I don't think the social gathering aspect really did.

Aeolwind
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
See, I hated the pop raid system. It felt too much like Mario Bro's. I don't mind having 1-2 keyed zones, when you have access to 5 zones out of 20 in an expansion I felt utterly cheated. I'd also stopped raiding by this point as well, so that may have had some impact, but the hoops just felt blah.

Ferok
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
See, I hated the pop raid system. It felt too much like Mario Bro's. I don't mind having 1-2 keyed zones, when you have access to 5 zones out of 20 in an expansion I felt utterly cheated. I'd also stopped raiding by this point as well, so that may have had some impact, but the hoops just felt blah.

I'll agree with that. I'd be fine with the elemental planes and time being separately keyed, but 25 different flags in one expansion was really a bit much.

Hasbinbad
03-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I quit EQ late Luclin, but did get to see my brother do quite a few PoP encounters; I liked some things, but was very against other things (below). Beyond PoP, every single piece of new info I get about live EQ makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Luclin Pros:
The zones! So much fun!
The items & spells - new stuff to play with and think about, not REALLY gamebreaking.
The concept of EQ on the moon.
The concept of a bazaar.
The concept of an AA system.
The concept of mounts.
The concept of mooninites as a playable race.

PoP Pros:
All I really got to see was a couple raids, which looked like a lot of fun and half made me want to play again, until I remembered:

Luclin Cons (manifold and wondrous):
The implementation of every single new non-gear/spell mechanic bit ass, whether it had a good concept or not.
The Nexxus was dogshit. Easily in the top 3 reasons I quit.
The bazaar should have been in the EC tunnel and SOE is fucktarded.
The AA system was idiotic, and starting from scratch, I bet Goobles and Mythoxxus could collaboratively come up with a better system.
New model females made me want to be gay until I saw new model males. What fucking idiot was in charge? What fucking idiot approved that guy? This is one of the main reasons I quit.
What "Short & Yellow" busser gave the go ahead on those horses? Seriously, those were like the worst models I've ever seen.
FURRIES. Need I say more? #1 reason I quit.

Derpus
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
-luclin era spells were nice

-the bazaar was extremely beneficial to the economy/honest players as a whole and terrible for item trade window switchers, "make offer" shysters, and other types of scammers/rip off artists.

thats about it

Obama
03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I absolutely love Luclin, but it would be better if there were no horses, no new models, no telports, and everything was connect via some kind of landmass (i.e. it wasn't on the moon). And holy crap I loved the bazaar, I'm too lazy to try to run around finding good prices and haggling, I made hundreds of thousands just setting stuff up at night though =)

Finawin
03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Lol if you quit because of Vah Shir, I got news for you...

Excision Rottun
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM

My reasoning:

Luckily a couple years ago SOE realized what this curve was like so now it is much easier to get AA.

Your first 750aa now are on a curve where you get them extremely fast, after that it levels out to normal speed.

However, with how much XP you gain per kill at max level now, you can easily gain 8-16aa an hour with a good group, and this was 1.5years ago when I quit. Or maybe that was even in a 1/2 hour...hard to remember exactly.

Wildir
03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
the best thing about luclin was.....

BEASTLORDS!!

Jeebus
03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Luclin - AAs -- I love them. I love focusing on one character and it was a way to advance your character and not level ahead of friends too.

also....KEI!

I love the beastlord class as well

Hasbinbad
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
?

Loke
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
?

?

Hasbinbad
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I quit EQ late Luclin, but did get to see my brother do quite a few PoP encounters; I liked some things, but was very against other things (below). Beyond PoP, every single piece of new info I get about live EQ makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Luclin Pros:
The zones! So much fun!
The items & spells - new stuff to play with and think about, not REALLY gamebreaking.
The concept of a bazaar.
The concept of mounts.

PoP Pros:
All I really got to see was a couple raids, which looked like a lot of fun and half made me want to play again, until I remembered:

The implementation of every single new non-gear/spell mechanic bit ass, whether it had a good concept or not.
The AA system was idiotic, and starting from scratch, I bet Goobles and Mythoxxus could collaboratively come up with a better system.
New model females made me want to be gay until I saw new model males. What fucking idiot was in charge? What fucking idiot approved that guy? This is one of the main reasons I quit.
What "Short & Yellow" busser gave the go ahead on those horses? Seriously, those were like the worst models I've ever seen.
FURRIES. Need I say more? #1 reason I quit.Lol if you quit because of Vah Shir, I got news for you...??
?

Loke
03-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Luclin Pros:
The zones! So much fun!
The concept of a bazaar.
The concept of mounts.

PoP Pros:

FURRIES. Need I say more? #1 reason I quit.Lol if you quit because of Vah Shir, I got news for you...

?

?

?

?

yaaaflow
03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
If you quit because of Vah Shir I've got news for you son
Luclin had 99 problems but a catman ain't one.

Simon Belmont
03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
If you quit because of Vah Shir I've got news for you son
Luclin had 99 problems but a catman ain't one.

you are 5 years too early for that quote. Its 1999 not 2004.

yaaaflow
03-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Bitch, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CaiO_H6oeU
(1993)

Hasbinbad
03-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Bitch, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CaiO_H6oeU
(1993)
Wow man, wtfpwnt.

Goobles
03-18-2010, 03:31 AM
I got a bitch who's funny
A bitch who aint
A bitch who rocks at MS Paint... whaaaaAAt?