PDA

View Full Version : Will P99 ever introduce...

Hogie
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I know it is not classic to add these things, but is there any plan to implement some of the things that should of been added with original game such as easy binding? I have a few friends who would love to play P99, but just do not have the time to invest in things like travel or dying and having to spend an hour to get your corpse just to die again.

Personally I love the game how it is, but would love to see small changes from classic added to the game like binding or easier travel or even shared bank.

Rasah
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
EZServer is the place for them.

Hogie
08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
EZServer is boring lol. I want classic, with things that were over looked when making the game

Dantes
08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Nope, they'll never introduce that stuff. That's the reason why P99 is the most popular server.

Alex
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
EZ server or man up, those are the options

rak-012
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Traveling and dying are part of the classic experience. It really would not be classic without them.

visage
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
EZServer is boring lol. I want classic, with things that were over looked when making the game

Oxymoron and move this to rants and flames

Arrisard
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
It wasn't overlooked at the release of the game, it was specifically addressed that stuff like that wasn't included because they wanted people to depend on each other.

Shit like this ruined player interactivity over time.

JenJen
08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
dying is part of the game, im afraid...

Brinkman
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Over looked when making the game?

Im going to attempt to not flame you here...

The long travel time in classic EQ was not something Brad or anyone else who was on the original creative team of EQ overlooked. It was INTENDED. It made the game more real. And it also helped balance the classes. If you take away the importance of Wizard and Druid porting abilities by putting in Transporters all over the place, and 100 places to bind, with "soulbinders" you destroy the usefulness of half of those classes spells.

The same goes for dieing. The harsh penalty of exp loss combined with respawning at a far away bind point ( a lot of the time) was intended. It makes the game more realistic ( starting to notice a theme? ). It also helped players actually learn their class and not make silly mistakes, OR ELSE.

In both of these instances, there is an underlyng concept, or "vision" that is created. Which is what Brad was going for. COMMUNITY!! The game is harder on solo players, because it was not meant to be a solo game. Its an MMO. Die? get a rez from your cleric friend, its fast and you get nearly all of your exp loss back. Want to go to a different continent? Talk to one of the groupmates who you hung out with, maybe they can help you out with a port. A friend askes you to come tank in mistmoore? Go hang out , help them hold a camp, they will prolly arrange a pickup for ya.

I am sorry for going on about this, but these things you call small, are actually the FOUNDATION for what EQ is and is supposed to stand for.

Tell your buddy to play a necro, SK or shaman. A class that can solo half decent, and Have FD for mistakes or sow for faster running if his time is prescious.

If you want a solo game, hey diablo is still pretty nifty. If you want EQ like you are describing, reactivate and old account, and click on the nearest PoK book. If you want to die, and travel 8 continents in 15 seconds, fully geared and ready for your 100th attempt on an instanced boss, ... Umm W o W it up.

Just saying....

Snaggles
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
It's very tempting to travel out of n00bville to join your friends (even as a dark race). Still, sometimes it's best to move slowly or just start toons of the same race. Humans, gnomes, dark elves, etc. They all have quite a few class combos.

Truth is hard EQ is fun EQ. People who don't appreciate the nostalgia probably will think the graphics are garbage too. The easier you make it to play or get powerful (like AA's) the quicker you take skill out of the picture. I remember crappy players simply never got to some zones because they 1.) Couldn't solo due to skill. 2.) Had such a childish rep they never got groups.

Think EQ is cutthroat? In Ultima Online traveling you would run into a random Player Killer (PK) who would murder you. He/She would then kill your horse, take all of your gear, cut up your body and spread the parts around while wearing your hat. If you had the key to your house they would find a way to get back there and rob it.

Corpse runs and exp deaths are child's play :) Enjoy the whole game, not just the end content.

Malev
08-03-2011, 06:56 PM

The long travel time in classic EQ was not something Brad or anyone else who was on the original creative team of EQ overlooked. It was INTENDED. It made the game more real. And it also helped balance the classes. If you take away the importance of Wizard and Druid porting abilities by putting in Transporters all over the place, and 100 places to bind, with "soulbinders" you destroy the usefulness of half of those classes spells.

The same goes for dieing. The harsh penalty of exp loss combined with respawning at a far away bind point ( a lot of the time) was intended. It makes the game more realistic ( starting to notice a theme? ). It also helped players actually learn their class and not make silly mistakes, OR ELSE.

In both of these instances, there is an underlyng concept, or "vision" that is created. Which is what Brad was going for. COMMUNITY!! The game is harder on solo players, because it was not meant to be a solo game. Its an MMO. Die? get a rez from your cleric friend, its fast and you get nearly all of your exp loss back. Want to go to a different continent? Talk to one of the groupmates who you hung out with, maybe they can help you out with a port. A friend askes you to come tank in mistmoore? Go hang out , help them hold a camp, they will prolly arrange a pickup for ya.

I am sorry for going on about this, but these things you call small, are actually the FOUNDATION for what EQ is and is supposed to stand for.

Tell your buddy to play a necro, SK or shaman. A class that can solo half decent, and Have FD for mistakes or sow for faster running if his time is prescious.

If you want a solo game, hey diablo is still pretty nifty. If you want EQ like you are describing, reactivate and old account, and click on the nearest PoK book. If you want to die, and travel 8 continents in 15 seconds, fully geared and ready for your 100th attempt on an instanced boss, ... Umm W o W it up.

Just saying....

/signed

SearyxTZ
08-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Agree travel and dying = part of the game.

Only classic blue thing I wouldn't mind seeing changed is the initial newbie experience / level 1-10 ramp-up.

Starting with a 4/36 item and auto-attacking snakes for ten hours (very very slowly) is not a very good "first impression" experience for players who have never touched EQ before.

Silentone
08-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Starting with a 4/36 item and auto-attacking snakes for ten hours (very very slowly) is not a very good "first impression" experience for players who have never touched EQ before.[/QUOTE]

1-10 is as important as 50-60 , may as well give them lvl 60 chars if 1 to 10 is rough. the people who are going to stick around will stick around the people who cant suck it up well..... and to friends who are discouraged when they start off, twink em a bit to make it a bit easy for them if you want

Taketz
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Starting with a 4/36 item and auto-attacking snakes for ten hours (very very slowly) is not a very good "first impression" experience for players who have never touched EQ before.

1-10 is as important as 50-60 , may as well give them lvl 60 chars if 1 to 10 is rough. the people who are going to stick around will stick around the people who cant suck it up well..... and to friends who are discouraged when they start off, twink em a bit to make it a bit easy for them if you want

I would also not mind seeing a slight ramp up till level 9. No one who's playing on this EMU server is playing EQ for the first time, and while I do definitely agree that there are fond memories of content along the lvl 9 and up range (BB/CB/etc), no one wants to relive running around Eastern Commons trying to find a MOB to kill. Plus, at that level range, all Melee's are basically the same as are all Casters.

Not a deal-breaker, just annoying and not really something I'd prefer to relive again.

nalkin
08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
level 1 to 12 are the most enjoyable levels to play imo

Bruman
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
No one who's playing on this EMU server is playing EQ for the first time.

Not true! I know of multiple people who are playing here for the first time, invited by friends. They're in their 40s-50s now.

I know what you were implying was "not many", but that's not what you said =P.

Fourthmeal
08-04-2011, 05:48 PM
EZserver not so EZ

acid_reflux
08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Agree travel and dying = part of the game.

Only classic blue thing I wouldn't mind seeing changed is the initial newbie experience / level 1-10 ramp-up.

I came back to play eq because all the other mmo's currently suck... I tried the new servers sony put out (Fippy and Vulak) and the 2% exp cap for solo'ing blows bigtime. I fell behind the power curve and was unable to get groups after a couple weeks of those servers going live. I tried 3 boxing and the 2% cap was still in place, so i assume the cap is there until the group is full.

I played a character for a bit here before my computer took a dump (i blame the cleaning lady) for not having hooked the power cables into a line conditioner. During that Time I was relieved to see that the exp was more along the lines of what I remember back in the day when i was knocking out C-grade homework so i could spend more time feeding the eq addiciton (nightmares of vhex thall grinding before we got mage mules in place).

Anyway, I like the exp... now to just get back online and play...

Ennoia
08-05-2011, 02:51 AM

They weren't overlooked. They just weren't wanted in classic EQ. Easy binding and not having corpse runs is for terribles (see EQLive, WoW, whatever the hell that new one is called that is basically a copy of WoW...oh right, Rift.).

Nytewind TP
08-05-2011, 08:21 AM
LOL Yea, two options.

1. Play a caster and be able to bind yourself
2. Don't die

;)

Arkanjil
08-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Classic > all mmo's right now.

Vendar
08-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Just saying....

/applaud

Tewaz
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I am going to log in a permanent binder in EFP. I will be a level 8 mage afk. Hail me and I will bind you.

Tewaz
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Teleporters and binders = communism.

Druids and casters = capitalism.

Nytewind TP
08-05-2011, 02:12 PM
The PoK books killed the need for ports from Druids and Wizzys. That hurt EQ as a social type game, as did the bazaar.

Tewaz
08-05-2011, 02:17 PM
See, communism sucks!

Arrisard
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
The PoK books killed the need for ports from Druids and Wizzys. That hurt EQ as a social type game, as did the bazaar.

I loved the idea of a bazaar zone, and the arena was great.

Didn't love the idea of the auto-merchants.

Vondra
08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
If you have new players wanting to avoid a lot of the intended inconveniences of the game, I highly recommend them being druids.

Between their high mobility and soloability it would be a great way for them to get into the game and probably rack up a good amount of cash too.

Around the levels when they start having problems getting groups as druids (Mid 40s and on), they should have a pretty good idea of what other classes can do and probably have a class they'd like to play in mind. By then they'll have racked up a good bank of cash and can either fund an alt or go all out and sell their druid gear to create a new main.

And of course, they'll have a handy druid mule to port around to buy/sell things, buff their friends etc.

Tewaz
08-05-2011, 05:00 PM
If you have new players wanting to avoid a lot of the intended inconveniences of the game, I highly recommend them being druids.

Between their high mobility and soloability it would be a great way for them to get into the game and probably rack up a good amount of cash too.

Around the levels when they start having problems getting groups as druids (Mid 40s and on), they should have a pretty good idea of what other classes can do and probably have a class they'd like to play in mind. By then they'll have racked up a good bank of cash and can either fund an alt or go all out and sell their druid gear to create a new main.

And of course, they'll have a handy druid mule to port around to buy/sell things, buff their friends etc.

This is the best way for anyone to start.

porigromus
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Only thing I would change with classic EQ is the leveling speed. Just to speed things up some, I would make experience x2. :D

Drem
08-08-2011, 02:37 AM
but you can't loot other peoples' corpses and that totally isn't classic. that's what i hate

Anger
08-08-2011, 04:19 AM

Wrong server.

Nagash
08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
It wasn't overlooked at the release of the game, it was specifically addressed that stuff like that wasn't included because they wanted people to depend on each other.

Shit like this ruined player interactivity over time.

This.