PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Classic

MutualofOmaha
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
After having played on the server since its first week back in October, I have some observations, and more importantly, a question for the GM's regarding the server's future.

As others have recently observed on these forums, our server has a number of aspects that are not classic, at all, the most immediately noticeable of these being the global ooc and auction channels.

However, there are many, many other non-classic elements, including:

1. Experience gain - group bonuses and dungeon bonuses have been in effect on the server since day 1, these were not classic; also, pets do not leech experience as they did in classic; also, experience penalties are not shared among group members, as they were in classic. This has made leveling up much, much faster than it should be on a classic server.

2. Pets - pets are super-pets, and particularly the magician pets; pets do not draw multiple aggro or generate faction hits the way they did in classic.

3. Spells - spell resists for npc's are definitely much lower than they ever were in classic, resulting in fewer npc resists and partial resists; spell resists for pc's are much less effective than they were in classic.

4. Meditating - meditation does not require the caster to see only the spell-book while meditating, this is non-classic.

5. Factions - starting factions are incorrect for a wide variety of race/class combinations, and they are off on a global scale; merchants are on the wrong factions/no faction, instead of how they were in classic (this is of particular importance for merchants near key dungeons); bankers are on the wrong faction/no faction; faction required to get quests is wrong, making it easier to get certain quests than it should be; faction required to complete quests is wrong.

6. Item and coin drops - coin drops are substantially higher from npc's than they ever were in classic, more on a par with Kunark drops than vanilla drops; item drops are much more common than they were in classic, too, especially rare item drops (a case in point - I tested two well-known drops in Upper Guk, the squire fork drop and the spider armor drop - 23 squire kills yielded 7 forks and 16 collars, while 18 giant spider kills yielded 6 chitin armor and 12 chitin shields - rare drops like the fork were about 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 in classic, not 1 in 3 on a consistent basis).

7. Guards - guard factions and assists are horribly broken, and guards themselves are much less lethal than they were in classic

8. Travel - intercontinental travel was instantaneous from the very beginning of the server, eliminating the need for players to take time to congregate for buying, selling, forming groups, questing, etc.; even the current boat replacement system makes travel much faster than it should be in classic

9. Tradeskills - items and recipes and combines are available from the beginning that were not available until the Gates of Discord era, allowing more rapid skilling up and nonclassic items to be made and used; vendors sell tradeskill items that they never had in classic, and in many locations in Norrath, tradeskill items are available near one another, whereas in real classic players would have had to travel through various zones even to get basic tradeskill goods.

10. Vendors - besides many vendors being available to hostile factions that would never have had access in classic, there are many vendors with incorrect inventories; some vendors even sell finished tradeskill goods that should never be on any vendor as a standard inventory item, and these finished goods tend to be vital stepping-stone type items for higher-level skillup recipes in tradeskills; some vendors sell items that were strictly foraged or dropped tradeskill items in classic.

These are just a few observations of my own. I have no doubt that others could add many other items to this list. The result of most of these aberrations from classic is a greatly accelerated advancement and leveling curve on the server, making things move much, much more rapidly than they would have on a more classic server. Our server really is at best Semi-Classic, or perhaps Pseudo-Classic, at this time.

What is classic on our server, then? Class restrictions, race restrictions, starting cities, zone graphics are all classic; list of available zones is classic, although some zones have been made available to certain members of the server before they actually should have been, if the server was to have been truly classic.

This server is still a lot of fun, that's why we're here playing together.

The question I would like to ask, however, is this:

Will this server strive to become more and more classic, as it continues to move forward? Will some, or all, of the above-mentioned aberrations be changed to classic, over time?

If so, can we expect a relaunch at some point with a truly classic server, or perhaps a second server to be launched as a truly classic server? I personally feel that a second server might be a better choice, so that those who strive to progress through the server as rapidly as possible can retain the distinctions and advantages for which they have played so hard on the current server, while those who enjoy a more truly classic game could start anew once a classic server is a reality. Perhaps such a second server would not track server-firsts and would not grant titles; in this way the pace-setter types might feel less slighted.

My observations are my own, but I really would appreciate a response to my question from the GMs, so that we all can know what we might expect from Project 1999.

Thank you GMs in advance for your response, and thank you also for our opportunity to play on this server.

Icecometus
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Play here till EQC comes out :)

clbreastmilk
03-21-2010, 11:29 PM
4. Meditating - meditation does not require the caster to see only the spell-book while meditating, this is non-classic.

Hold right arm straight out. Open Palm facing your left. Bend elbow until hand pointing straight up. Make sure palm still open. Quickly move right hand to touch left shoulder. If face contact was not made. Repeat from the beginning.

Jify
03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
1. Experience gain - group bonuses and dungeon bonuses have been in effect on the server since day 1, these were not classic;

This is as far as I read, then I went, "This guy has obviously not played on this server since launch."

8(

Haynar
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
If I wasn't a Dev, I would probably tell you to piss off.

But since I do try to contribute to the project, and don't like to get into pissing matches, I won't.

Go kill some frogs or something.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Haynar

snifs
03-22-2010, 12:12 AM

lol?

Slake
03-22-2010, 12:37 AM
What i am curious about is how can someone have been playing since october and have only 2 posts? Also...his join date is March 2010.

Ummm yeah. Dude...news flash....IT'S A GAME!!!

How about relax, hit one of the pot heads on the server up for some bud, take a big hit and chill out. Be thankful we have what we have. I know I am thankful.

Izzni
03-22-2010, 12:53 AM
MutualofOmaha's post wasn't really insulting. He brought up a whole slew of valid things that are not true to the original Everquest and he's wondering if there are plans to fix them, and if so, relaunch the server. He actually said he was having fun and thanked the Devs for the hard work.

Glitch
03-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Project 1999 is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in the the fantasy world of 1999, where users roleplay as characters that play a game called Everquest.

Humerox
03-22-2010, 01:37 AM

But since I do try to contribute to the project, and don't like to get into pissing matches, I won't.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Haynar

I about died laughing. :)

Zithax
03-22-2010, 01:45 AM
This is as far as I read, then I went, "This guy has obviously not played on this server since launch."

8(

This.

No offense bro, but this server isn't perfect. It's emu on top of that. I'm sure someone somewhere appreciates this compiled list of known issues, but as Jify said it's obvious you haven't been playing here since launch or else you'd not have wasted anyones time by posting this thread.

jelatin
03-22-2010, 02:09 AM

Have a Merry Christmas.

Haynar

Awesome.

Secrets
03-22-2010, 04:13 AM

EQC is coming out coincident with the rapture.

True story.

Also, it won't work on modern hardware too well. You need EQ Windows to even get the EQC client to run on Windows 7/Vista.

I'd say stay here forever.

mitic
03-22-2010, 05:57 AM
i highly doubt that soe-devs would have done a better job then ours (progression servers some years ago come to my mind) since most of verants staff left long time ago ´

there is no better vision (tm) out there than here.

about EQC i have to concur with a previous poster.... lol?

Aeolwind
03-22-2010, 07:34 AM
After having played on the server since its first week back in October, I have some observations, and more importantly, a question for the GM's regarding the server's future.

As others have recently observed on these forums, our server has a number of aspects that are not classic, at all, the most immediately noticeable of these being the global ooc and auction channels.

1. Experience gain - group bonuses and dungeon bonuses have been in effect on the server since day 1, these were not classic; also, pets do not leech experience as they did in classic; also, experience penalties are not shared among group members, as they were in classic. This has made leveling up much, much faster than it should be on a classic server.
Experience is tricky business, classically dungeons did have experience modifiers, we were just never made aware of them.

2. Pets - pets are super-pets, and particularly the magician pets; pets do not draw multiple aggro or generate faction hits the way they did in classic.
Considering the lack of "absolute" data available, they are close. Their min/max hits are correct as are their HP values. Resists are conjecture but don't seem too far out of line.

3. Spells - spell resists for npc's are definitely much lower than they ever were in classic, resulting in fewer npc resists and partial resists; spell resists for pc's are much less effective than they were in classic.
Probably the toughest thing to get correct is resist values. No hard data for this exists anywhere, other than a few scant documents that reveal immunities, actual resist levels are impossible to find. Most every mob had the same resists when we started, about 700 mobs had to be made and several thousand more have been modified.

Client limitation. Nothing we can do.

5. Factions - starting factions are incorrect for a wide variety of race/class combinations, and they are off on a global scale; merchants are on the wrong factions/no faction, instead of how they were in classic (this is of particular importance for merchants near key dungeons); bankers are on the wrong faction/no faction; faction required to get quests is wrong, making it easier to get certain quests than it should be; faction required to complete quests is wrong.
You should have seen faction when we started :p. It was a nightmare that was no where NEAR as good as it is now. There are probably holes, but I don't think even for a moment that it is as far off as you believe it is. As far as quests go; I'll agree, there are many quests that are missing faction requirements, I generally try to fix those as I go, but again, with -no- idea what faction rewards should actually be from some quests I have to be careful on what requirements I put down.

6. Item and coin drops - coin drops are substantially higher from npc's than they ever were in classic, more on a par with Kunark drops than vanilla drops; item drops are much more common than they were in classic, too, especially rare item drops (a case in point - I tested two well-known drops in Upper Guk, the squire fork drop and the spider armor drop - 23 squire kills yielded 7 forks and 16 collars, while 18 giant spider kills yielded 6 chitin armor and 12 chitin shields - rare drops like the fork were about 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 in classic, not 1 in 3 on a consistent basis). What can I say, sometimes things get missed. That is why we have a thriving bug & petition forum.

7. Guards - guard factions and assists are horribly broken, and guards themselves are much less lethal than they were in classic Honestly, on this point, I think you are smoking crack. We had to actually fix the source code to allow for more factions so that we could get guards to even properly kill newbie mobs.

8. Travel - intercontinental travel was instantaneous from the very beginning of the server, eliminating the need for players to take time to congregate for buying, selling, forming groups, questing, etc.; even the current boat replacement system makes travel much faster than it should be in classic DX8-9 transition problem. The boats became hollow on the Titanium client. We're working on something to replace the translocators with. Stay tuned.

9. Tradeskills - items and recipes and combines are available from the beginning that were not available until the Gates of Discord era, allowing more rapid skilling up and nonclassic items to be made and used; vendors sell tradeskill items that they never had in classic, and in many locations in Norrath, tradeskill items are available near one another, whereas in real classic players would have had to travel through various zones even to get basic tradeskill goods. The tradeskill table is a train wreck & an aberration. Starting from scratch would have required us to delay launch for another 3-4 months. As aberrant recipes are reported they do get nuked. As far as merchant inventories go, by and large they should be correct. The only ones that are probably off are the ones that either a) haven't been reported yet, or b) we haven't had time to fix yet.

10. Vendors - besides many vendors being available to hostile factions that would never have had access in classic, there are many vendors with incorrect inventories; some vendors even sell finished tradeskill goods that should never be on any vendor as a standard inventory item, and these finished goods tend to be vital stepping-stone type items for higher-level skillup recipes in tradeskills; some vendors sell items that were strictly foraged or dropped tradeskill items in classic. Again, this is what the bugs/petition forum is for. If you find something you think is wrong, find data via the wayback machine at www.archive.org and post it.

These are just a few observations of my own. I have no doubt that others could add many other items to this list. The result of most of these aberrations from classic is a greatly accelerated advancement and leveling curve on the server, making things move much, much more rapidly than they would have on a more classic server. Our server really is at best Semi-Classic, or perhaps Pseudo-Classic, at this time.

What is classic on our server, then? Class restrictions, race restrictions, starting cities, zone graphics are all classic; list of available zones is classic, although some zones have been made available to certain members of the server before they actually should have been, if the server was to have been truly classic.

This server is still a lot of fun, that's why we're here playing together. The leveling curve isn't too far off considering the only data table that is available is one from the post-Gates era. While you may not spend 72 hours in 45 like classic you do spend more time in the other levels. People are far more adept at leveling now than back then as well. Folks know all the right places to go.

Will this server strive to become more and more classic, as it continues to move forward? Will some, or all, of the above-mentioned aberrations be changed to classic, over time?

If so, can we expect a relaunch at some point with a truly classic server, or perhaps a second server to be launched as a truly classic server? I personally feel that a second server might be a better choice, so that those who strive to progress through the server as rapidly as possible can retain the distinctions and advantages for which they have played so hard on the current server, while those who enjoy a more truly classic game could start anew once a classic server is a reality. Perhaps such a second server would not track server-firsts and would not grant titles; in this way the pace-setter types might feel less slighted. We'll always strive to be as exact as possible.

My observations are my own, but I really would appreciate a response to my question from the GMs, so that we all can know what we might expect from Project 1999. You have one. And while I think you are a pessimist and can't see the forest for the trees. Your opinions are your own.

Thank you GMs in advance for your response, and thank you also for our opportunity to play on this server. Nice double talk at the end. I see what you tried to do there.

Overall, This is not our primary job in life. All of us have real jobs, families & lives that we have to attend to. My house is still in boxes by and large since I moved due to the fact of the extra time I take on the development of this server. It may not be perfect, but I challenge you to do your part to make the server better. We are certainly doing more than our fair share. We don't actually get to play on the server, so we have little firsthand knowledge of incorrect items, and there will be some. Considering since the start I fixed over 600 broken quests, Nilbog among others made over 700,000 DB changes, several hundred source code improvements and modifications by Rogean, Haynar & Ladoth, we added the pathing files for all dungeons to keep mobs from running through walls, also that thousands of mobs that had incorrect loot (There were 70,000 incorrect "Rusty Daggers" being used as an example), faction was completely incorrect (Ogres could roam around north freeport & high elves in Neriak), we also had to restructure spells from every 2 levels for all classes to every 4 levels, fixed several thousand faces on NPC's, Yes, classic is the target. But when your starting point is so far off the mark, you won't get there in short order. Before we released we developed and changed things for almost a full year just to get it where it was at launch.

stayne
03-22-2010, 09:01 AM
No need to nitpick imho. P99 is a damnload of fun and closer to classic than anything else (and probably will continue to be). I spent 1.5 hours last night in EC looking for my corpse and LOVED IT!

FatMagic
03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Here, here Aeolwind - BRILLIANT reponse. This thread should end at his response - it's exactly what is needed to be heard. Thank you for the hard work!

p.s. MutualOfOhama - help us make it a more classic and a better server by reporting these problems in the Bugs area. You will NOT find a better EQ Classic Server out there... go ahead, I challenge you to find one (that is currently running, not in development).

Jete
03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
However much I disagree with him, the post is on topic. It is semi-classic, to be near sighted, look at bards, we've been told we won't be able to swarm kite due to its "unfairness" but we get the other "fair" perks of being a bard. I don't mean to nitpick, I love P99 and have devoted much time and money to it. I am just pointing out that he is right- the Devs have done a great job but seem to favor what seems fair over what is classic. This again, is highly opinionated, but true.

Not meaning to oversight things such as fixing raid rotation, continuous quest fixes and a large amount of output by the devs who make zero money for their work- But I completely agree with things like /ooc and /auc being serverwide. It is very easy to say these things are necessary but after a while start to add up and ruin my life.

P.S.- WTB a bucket for my tears, PST.

Aeolwind
03-22-2010, 10:06 AM
However much I disagree with him, the post is on topic. It is semi-classic, to be near sighted, look at bards, we've been told we won't be able to swarm kite due to its "unfairness" but we get the other "fair" perks of being a bard. I don't mean to nitpick, I love P99 and have devoted much time and money to it. I am just pointing out that he is right- the Devs have done a great job but seem to favor what seems fair over what is classic. This again, is highly opinionated, but true.

Not meaning to oversight things such as fixing raid rotation, continuous quest fixes and a large amount of output by the devs who make zero money for their work- But I completely agree with things like /ooc and /auc being serverwide. It is very easy to say these things are necessary but after a while start to add up and ruin my life.

P.S.- WTB a bucket for my tears, PST.

The issue with bards again is a client/server interaction issue. I'm all for quad/swarm kiting. Herein lies the issue: The server/client interaction isn't fast enough to keep track and maintain a classic hit box for mobs, this is why they run so fast. Now, we could increase the area of the bard AE damages but you would drift into the realm of overpowered. They were relatively small AE areas (I was rather disillusioned on live due to this and quickly gave up my bard twink). If the hit box code can be refined then we can slow down mobs and look at bard swarm kiting. It's not that it can't be done, it's just that it hasn't been done yet.

Jete
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
And the instrument modifiers don't work on those songs-

You have a bucket for sale by chance?

Excision Rottun
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
we've been told we won't be able to swarm kite

You can swarm kite.

You can not AoE kite, however.

Jete
03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
You can swarm kite.

You can not AoE kite, however.

Its good thing we have you around! Problem fixed! Yaaaay!

Icecometus
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
EQC is coming out coincident with the rapture.

True story.

Also, it won't work on modern hardware too well. You need EQ Windows to even get the EQC client to run on Windows 7/Vista.

I'd say stay here forever.

http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1913 I hope you are wrong Secrets cause I hate WinEQ.

Well it might take another year or two to finish the project so plenty of time to enjoy P99.

Secrets
03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1913 I hope you are wrong Secrets cause I hate WinEQ.

Well it might take another year or two to finish the project so plenty of time to enjoy P99.

It's true, and also, it could have been done 2 years ago if they had any motivation to finish it. Only person who is working on it hardcore atm is Harakiri, hence why I left.

And I don't even think Harakiri is working on it anymore.

And yes, you can consider this as a resignation from EQClassic for anyone wondering.

To quote Yeahlight, "shit sucks".

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:krZR3Dq438QJ:www.realfek.com/forums/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D3%26p%3D265282+yeahlight+shit+ sucks&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Loke
03-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Jete, bards aren't the only ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently monks in P99 are subject to the Luclin era mitigation and avoidance nerfs. Everyone knows that monks have a weight limit that we must maintain to avoid suffering an AC penalty. What most people don't know is the reasoning behind that weight limit was because monks were given a higher avoidance and mitigation that was on par with chain or plate (I can't remember) classes. In Luclin, a number of notable players started to complain about monks being over-powered (In all honesty, we were), a thus our mitigation was nerfed (yet our weight restrictions remained /boggle).

Personally, I don't think monks are all that bad on this server, and I feel I compliment any group I join fairly well. I'm not complaining. I'm just providing an example of how bards are not the only class that is weaker or more restricted than it was in classic.

Honestly, I'd take the way aggro works on this server over increased avoidance / mitigation any day. It's definitely not classic, but you won't hear any complaints out of me. :)

Edit : Also, Snifs post was the best post in this thread.

Hasbinbad
03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
This thread should end at his response..
i·ro·ny

1   /ˈaɪhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngrəhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngni, ˈaɪhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngər-/ [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]–noun,plural-nies.
1.the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

Simon Belmont
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
i·ro·ny

1   /ˈaɪhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngrəhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngni, ˈaɪhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngər-/ [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]–noun,plural-nies.
1.the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

hmm... so whats it called when you post a rebuttal in the wrong thread? =p

Ferok
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
hmm... so whats it called when you post a rebuttal in the wrong thread? =p

Confusing :-\

Hasbinbad
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
hmm... so whats it called when you post a rebuttal in the wrong thread? =pAm I missing something? :P
Are you talking to me? :P

Aeolwind
03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Jete, bards aren't the only ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently monks in P99 are subject to the Luclin era mitigation and avoidance nerfs. Everyone knows that monks have a weight limit that we must maintain to avoid suffering an AC penalty. What most people don't know is the reasoning behind that weight limit was because monks were given a higher avoidance and mitigation that was on par with chain or plate (I can't remember) classes. In Luclin, a number of notable players started to complain about monks being over-powered (In all honesty, we were), a thus our mitigation was nerfed (yet our weight restrictions remained /boggle).

I seem to remember this in the patch notes about being fixed.

MutualofOmaha
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
First, I would like to thank the community for its responses to this thread, at least those in the community who care to provide meaningful responses and commentary.

Second, thank you to Aeolwind for responding with at least some effort and meaningful, item-by-item consideration. I would add, also, that I did not intend any kind of double-talk at the end of my post, although it obviously came across that way to some. I am sincerely thankful for the server we have that is at least fun to play on.

But I would ask Aeolwind, or other developers actually doing things to move the server forward: can you answer my question? Once the myriad bugs and non-classic elements are eventually removed/mitigated/worked around/whatever, is there the possibility of some kind of relaunch for those of us interested in a functionally more classic server, or more preferably the possibility of a second server? If this is to be an eventuality, I would be willing to devote effort and time to run down each and every bug or inconsistency and report them individually on the bugs forum. I don't generally waste my time on forums as I generally see them as worthless trolling logs, but if hard work and reporting really will lead to the creation of a classic server by the developers, that would alter things.

Again, I do enjoy playing on the server, that's why I am here. I can enjoy the current Semi-Classic server, but I would love a Classic server more.

Loke
03-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I seem to remember this in the patch notes about being fixed.

That is a real possibility. I don't scour the patch notes very closely. If I was wrong and the Luclin mitigation / avoidance nerf is not live, then I apologize and just ignore my post completely.

As I'm rather new to the community, it is difficult to compare the current mitigation system to a past one. So yea, if monks are indeed classic in regards to mitigation and avoidance, my post should just be ignored. Also, my OP was in no way complaining... I personally feel P99 should be viewed as an autonomous game. It's not EverQuest. Thus, any differences that the devs / community feel should be in place are just fine by me.

PearlJammzz
03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
First, I would like to thank the community for its responses to this thread, at least those in the community who care to provide meaningful responses and commentary.

Second, thank you to Aeolwind for responding with at least some effort and meaningful, item-by-item consideration. I would add, also, that I did not intend any kind of double-talk at the end of my post, although it obviously came across that way to some. I am sincerely thankful for the server we have that is at least fun to play on.

But I would ask Aeolwind, or other developers actually doing things to move the server forward: can you answer my question? Once the myriad bugs and non-classic elements are eventually removed/mitigated/worked around/whatever, is there the possibility of some kind of relaunch for those of us interested in a functionally more classic server, or more preferably the possibility of a second server? If this is to be an eventuality, I would be willing to devote effort and time to run down each and every bug or inconsistency and report them individually on the bugs forum. I don't generally waste my time on forums as I generally see them as worthless trolling logs, but if hard work and reporting really will lead to the creation of a classic server by the developers, that would alter things.

Again, I do enjoy playing on the server, that's why I am here. I can enjoy the current Semi-Classic server, but I would love a Classic server more.

I believe they are doing everything in their power to get it as close as possible to live as they can. There is talks of starting a new server once they release Kunark, and then Velious, but no one really knows.

If you can prove tons of bug information it would be MUCH loved. We will never be 100% classic. We just won't, but we can get it 90% of the way there if everyone chips in. I was young when I played EQ, but there are a few things I do remember (such as the faction hit on a quest I put in the bug forum), and comment on when I see it's wrong.

Complaining gets us no where. If you really want this to be a classic server then do your part by reporting what is wrong. Without reporting what is wrong there is no way we can count on the small number of people working on this (on their spare time mind you) to be able to get everything.

FatMagic
03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
As an aside... good Lord please don't start another server and split up the current population - even if you release a new expansion. That was laid out in the original plan to progress up to Velious It would murder the enjoyment of this server and it's good sized population to make a 2nd server. And please oh please don't reset accounts. I would quit in a heartbeat as I barely have time to play, and if I know my time spent would be eventually reset upon expansion release... I'd stop playing now!

But of course, this is just rumor as posted above. So I'm probably taking it out of context and freaking out over nothing :)

Ferok
03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
As an aside... good Lord please don't start another server and split up the current population - even if you release a new expansion. That was laid out in the original plan to progress up to Velious It would murder the enjoyment of this server and it's good sized population to make a 2nd server. And please oh please don't reset accounts. I would quit in a heartbeat as I barely have time to play, and if I know my time spent would be eventually reset upon expansion release... I'd stop playing now!

But of course, this is just rumor as posted above. So I'm probably taking it out of context and freaking out over nothing :)

They've already said they won't "reset."

I think alot of people are expecting a population surge with the Kunark/Velious releases, which could perhaps in part fuel another server at some point.

SwordNboard
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
But I would ask Aeolwind, or other developers actually doing things to move the server forward..

Okay, stop. They are probably working on it RIGHT now if they aren't at their real job. Imagine taking an EQ database from a future era and going through line by line, by hand, to revert everything you possibly can. Each mob, quest, item, vendor, tradeskill.. with a handful of devs compared to Verant in the past.. being worked on takes time. If they were to delay it until the DB was "perfect" we wouldn't be playing now. I am confident that fixes are always being made and people like you will always complain with your instant gratification states of mind.

Sorry to flame you a bit, but think broader. Oh, and I hope to see you in-game! Thanks for playing here!

Beor
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Just curious:

How far off is the EXP? Meaning how much faster are people able to level?

I understand that since many of us have gone through this before and we know the in's and out's of the game it makes it easier. But I still love the grind. I just wanted to make sure that this leveling wasn't like the Progression Server that SOE came out with, that was WAY to easy.

...looking for reassurance more than anything else.

-Eric

Ferok
03-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Just curious:

I understand that since many of us have gone through this before and we know the in's and out's of the game it makes it easier. But I still love the grind. I just wanted to make sure that this leveling wasn't like the Progression Server that SOE came out with, that was WAY to easy.

-Eric

It seems about right to me. I've got some ~40 hours played and I'm at level 15 as a Troll Shaman.

Beor
03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
I guess, it just feels like i'm leveling a lot faster. I just loved how hard it was to level.
Anyone else have thoughts on how quickly experience is gained?

-Beor

doacleric
03-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I think one thing you guys have to keep in mind is that this server is a work in progress. If Nilbog would have keep the server closed off from everyone until it was "perfect", you would be waiting another decade. And unless we can build a magic time machine and go back to 1999 and break into the verant offices and steal the classic source code and database, there will be some things that will never be 100% perfect.

Beor
03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Didn't mean anything by it, I'm just curious where we are at with exp and how far off it is from classic.

This server is great and i'm happy where it's at, I'm legitimately just curious

Beor

FatMagic
03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm very happy with the experience since I don't have much time to play, and I would love to get close to level cap someday... which at this pace probably won't happen - haha! But honestly, it's more about the journey instead of the goal with PEQ99.

MutualofOmaha
03-23-2010, 04:13 AM
Just curious:

-Eric

Experience gain is quite rapid, much more rapid than it ever was in Vanilla, and especially so for pet classes. Speaking just for myself, I have been playing since October, about 5 days after the server launched, and I currently have a magician, necromancer and cleric at level 50. My druid is level 42 as of yesterday.

Obviously I play mostly pet/solo classes, as I prefer to solo whenever I can. The overpowered nature of pets makes leveling on the server a real breeze, particularly if you kill guard npc's. However, leveling up the cleric demonstrated the overloaded group and dungeon bonuses, as well.

Even knowing how to play and where to go, and what to kill, I could never level so quickly on a more classic server, and I certainly could never have obtained the quest items and drops I have gotten in such a short period of time.

Murferoo
03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
I'm not so sure about that Omaha. I'm not sure your giving enough weight to other variables that influence the speed of leveling. It's not just that you know how to play better than when you started, other people do as well.

A big time sink in classic was how much time was spent just trying to figure out where to go, how to get there, was it safe, looking things up on forums, etc..

The speed seems right to me, or very close anyway, within a 10 percent margin of error anyway.

By the way, I didn't take your post badly at all. I thought it was constructive, informative and helpful. I really wish people would stop lynching anyone who has questions about how things are. It's not necessary. And I think the devs. need to avoid the cynicism that grows/breeds despite your best efforts when dealing with a player base.

Sometimes things really should just be taken at face value without assuming or thinking there is some deeper meaning or subtle jab.

JaVeDK
03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
By the way, I didn't take your post badly at all. I thought it was constructive, informative and helpful. I really wish people would stop lynching anyone who has questions about how things are. It's not necessary. And I think the devs. need to avoid the cynicism that grows/breeds despite your best efforts when dealing with a player base.

Sometimes things really should just be taken at face value without assuming or thinking there is some deeper meaning or subtle jab.

I am in complete agreement with the above statement. I am generally disappointed at how rude a lot of people are on these boards (and in /ooc). It is definitely not what I was expecting from what one must assume is a more mature crowd than in other mmorpgs.

OP: Valid questions and observations. As has been said, try to enjoy all the things that are classic and have fun.

Aeolwind: Good answers and amazing work on this project. I know a lot of people will hate me for suggesting this, but if you feel yourself growing frustrated and bitter I'd take a break man.

Zithax
03-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Experience gain is quite rapid, much more rapid than it ever was in Vanilla, and especially so for pet classes. Speaking just for myself, I have been playing since October, about 5 days after the server launched, and I currently have a magician, necromancer and cleric at level 50. My druid is level 42 as of yesterday.

Obviously I play mostly pet/solo classes, as I prefer to solo whenever I can. The overpowered nature of pets makes leveling on the server a real breeze, particularly if you kill guard npc's. However, leveling up the cleric demonstrated the overloaded group and dungeon bonuses, as well.

Even knowing how to play and where to go, and what to kill, I could never level so quickly on a more classic server, and I certainly could never have obtained the quest items and drops I have gotten in such a short period of time.

No it's actually slower; also classic did have a group exp bonus which went something along the lines of:

(# of people) - (% of exp bonus)
2 - 2%
3 - 4%
4 - 6%
5 - 8%
6 - 10%

nilbog
03-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Lots of your questions would have been answered by simply knowing more about what you're playing. It is fairly well-known that spellbooks, boats, and other things are simply client limitations. I have NO idea how you didn't know this by playing on an emu server for 5 months. We will fix things as soon as we have fixes for them.

If this is to be an eventuality, I would be willing to devote effort and time to run down each and every bug or inconsistency and report them individually on the bugs forum. I don't generally waste my time on forums as I generally see them as worthless trolling logs, but if hard work and reporting really will lead to the creation of a classic server by the developers, that would alter things.

Again, I do enjoy playing on the server, that's why I am here. I can enjoy the current Semi-Classic server, but I would love a Classic server more.As I feel most of the other questions have already been answered, I'll chime in on this part. Report the bugs you find. I also find forums to be "not worth my time" sometimes, but hey, I have more posts than anyone else. It's not like I woke up one day as was like.. I'm gonna project manage an Everquest server, let me get to work! It's all volunteer-based and I put in more hours than I should. If your questions yield cynicism, I hope you see why. It's like showing up to the Salvation Army and asking.. are you guys *really* gonna solve world poverty? I'll donate some food maybe, but only if its worth my time.

You should try reporting things, *then* see if they get fixed. Or looking through resolved issues? I don't know why you asked if reporting issues would yield a classic server. :confused:

Speaking just for myself, I have been playing since October, about 5 days after the server launched, and I currently have a magician, necromancer and cleric at level 50.

Now why wouldn't you have mentioned experience being too fast .. prior to your leveling of 3 lvl 50s? :P

But I would ask Aeolwind, or other developers actually doing things to move the server forward: can you answer my question? Once the myriad bugs and non-classic elements are eventually removed/mitigated/worked around/whatever, is there the possibility of some kind of relaunch for those of us interested in a functionally more classic server, or more preferably the possibility of a second server?

I'm not sure if this was just worded poorly, but it has a tone of unappreciation. All developers "actually" have done things to move the server forward. There are hardware limitations with servers. These are uncharted waters though; I don't think there has ever been enough people on a single eqemu server to test its potential. If this is prekunark and we have ~600 people playing, I assume if the server was more popular, or continues to grow at its current rate, that we would be forced to open another server.

I look forward to your submissions!

Excision Rottun
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm not so sure about that Omaha. I'm not sure your giving enough weight to other variables that influence the speed of leveling. It's not just that you know how to play better than when you started, other people do as well.

A big time sink in classic was how much time was spent just trying to figure out where to go, how to get there, was it safe, looking things up on forums, etc..

Another factor is that people know how to maximize their respective classes more in each individual setting, as well as knowing what gear to wear and where to get it.

I know I have been in various "non-classic" groups using pets to tank, all caster kiting groups etc

From my experience these were less common in classic originally as people just weren't aware of the different possibilities other than the "holy trinity" groups.

Secrets
03-23-2010, 11:02 AM

The pets thing is being worked on, the others cannot be proved.

DB limitation right now with the way aggro is set up, related to guards further down. You're welcome to tell us which NPCs are not on appropriate factions.

Emu-wide issue, requires a revamp of spell resist formulas. Wanna get me them so I can fix it?

Wanna hack the client to include the needed functions, opcodes, and other things from EQC to make it work, then redistribute the client legally?

I'd love to have these pointed out to us. It's not like we're using SOE's source or database and know exactly what is supposed to be what and how it was done.

6. Item and coin drops - coin drops are substantially higher from npc's than they ever were in classic, more on a par with Kunark drops than vanilla drops; item drops are much more common than they were in classic, too, especially rare item drops (a case in point - I tested two well-known drops in Upper Guk, the squire fork drop and the spider armor drop - 23 squire kills yielded 7 forks and 16 collars, while 18 giant spider kills yielded 6 chitin armor and 12 chitin shields - rare drops like the fork were about 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 in classic, not 1 in 3 on a consistent basis).

We'd have to revamp a lot of the loot tables to get through this limitation. Again, this server is made on people's dreams of classic, and *not* the official verant/soe code/db, so of course there are going to be inaccuracies, especially when we started with a base like AX_Classic (which btw you could have helped out back in 2006-2007 with inaccuracies so we didn't have to deal with it)

7. Guards - guard factions and assists are horribly broken, and guards themselves are much less lethal than they were in classic

Get me the NPC hit, damage, hp, etc, exact numbers of guards and i'll fix them. Work is already started on correcting guards; we just dont know what ones to fix. Tell us and ye shall receive.

8. Travel - intercontinental travel was instantaneous from the very beginning of the server, eliminating the need for players to take time to congregate for buying, selling, forming groups, questing, etc.; even the current boat replacement system makes travel much faster than it should be in classic

Well, wanna hack Directx 9 to work with EQT again? :( soe didn't do it for a few years, i'd love to see you try.

9. Tradeskills - items and recipes and combines are available from the beginning that were not available until the Gates of Discord era, allowing more rapid skilling up and nonclassic items to be made and used; vendors sell tradeskill items that they never had in classic, and in many locations in Norrath, tradeskill items are available near one another, whereas in real classic players would have had to travel through various zones even to get basic tradeskill goods.

Tell me what things. Blanket statements are bad.

10. Vendors - besides many vendors being available to hostile factions that would never have had access in classic, there are many vendors with incorrect inventories; some vendors even sell finished tradeskill goods that should never be on any vendor as a standard inventory item, and these finished goods tend to be vital stepping-stone type items for higher-level skillup recipes in tradeskills; some vendors sell items that were strictly foraged or dropped tradeskill items in classic.

See above

exploiters have been dealt with

This server is still a lot of fun, that's why we're here playing together.

Yes, they will be fixed if they aren't limited by the client.

If so, can we expect a relaunch at some point with a truly classic server, or perhaps a second server to be launched as a truly classic server? I personally feel that a second server might be a better choice, so that those who strive to progress through the server as rapidly as possible can retain the distinctions and advantages for which they have played so hard on the current server, while those who enjoy a more truly classic game could start anew once a classic server is a reality. Perhaps such a second server would not track server-firsts and would not grant titles; in this way the pace-setter types might feel less slighted.

No.

My observations are my own, but I really would appreciate a response to my question from the GMs, so that we all can know what we might expect from Project 1999.

Here's my response.

Thank you GMs in advance for your response, and thank you also for our opportunity to play on this server.

no problem!

Beor
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
My main thing is that I feel like the xp is to fast. The only data I have to prove my theory is my previous experience with this game. I don't remember getting levels 14 and 15 in 3hrs, but I could be wrong.

Also, any comments or questions I've had were not an attack on this project or on the Devs. If you told me that exp is staying how it is and to fuck off, I'd say np. I'm grateful with what I have and where this game is, but you guys want info and feedback to improve this game and I was just asking/offering my two cents.

Seriously though, Thank you for giving us this server.

-Beor

Ferok
03-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't remember getting levels 14 and 15 in 3hrs, but I could be wrong.

3 hours each? That seems about right to me. If you're saying you got to ~14 in 3 hours total, I want to buy a lesson.

Beor
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
No 3 hrs to get both levels...see my concern? Which seems just way to fast.

Ferok
03-23-2010, 03:22 PM
No 3 hrs to get both levels...see my concern? Which seems just way to fast.

It's fast, but depending on your class and whether or not you were in a good group for the sum of that three hours, I can see it being reasonable.

I think too many of us remember the "hell levels" as the way it should be. It feels like you spent forever in your teens because at the time, it felt like forever. It felt like forever every time, every level. Perhaps simply because you didn't know anything else.

Before I was completely addicted to the game, a 3 hour session was alot of time to devote to the game. Later, 3 hours didn't seem like enough time to bother logging on for. I think alot of people's perceptions of the early level time-sink is skewed by the reality of the time-sink that was the higher levels.

...if that made any sense at all...

FatMagic
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
It's fast, but depending on your class and whether or not you were in a good group for the sum of that three hours, I can see it being reasonable.

I think too many of us remember the "hell levels" as the way it should be. It feels like you spent forever in your teens because at the time, it felt like forever. It felt like forever every time, every level. Perhaps simply because you didn't know anything else.

Before I was completely addicted to the game, a 3 hour session was alot of time to devote to the game. Later, 3 hours didn't seem like enough time to bother logging on for. I think alot of people's perceptions of the early level time-sink is skewed by the reality of the time-sink that was the higher levels.

...if that made any sense at all...

Made lots of sense to me! When I was living at home, going to college and playing EQ Live everyday for hours on end... time was nothing. 3 hours was nothing at all to me (I was addicted to EQ of course). Now being married, having a kid, taking care of a house, and working full time... 3 hours is a huge commitment for me. I get 30 mins here, 30 mins there. Maybe 2 hours on a few occasions. So honestly, I don't think I'll ever get to level 30 before Kunark is released on this server.

So in my mind the leveling is "too hard" - but that's because I've been spoiled by all the other "EZ MODE" leveling games out there. But I want EQ to be as classic as possible, so I'm willing to deal with the way it is.

But is it too fast or slow compared to Live '99? Honestly I don't know. I think we all have skewed perceptions of the leveling curve due to much of the watering down we've felt over the years from other games - and because as other posters said, we are VERY good at maximizing our leveling in EQ now because of all the knowledge out there that can help us (plus our own past experience with it).

MutualofOmaha
03-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Thank you to Nilbog and Secrets for your responses to my central question. I appreciate your openness and candor. From your responses, it appears that we should not expect a more classic server with respect to most of the concerns I had mentioned. It would seem that there are no plans to improve the current server, and then open a more refined and more classic version of it anew at some point down the road; probably this is mostly due to an inability to create such a version, rather than an unwillingness to do so.

I will continue to report exploits on these forums as I have from my first day here, but I probably will not devote time to reporting the non-classic items in much detail. The damage, so to speak, that the non-classic items have done to this point, is irreversible, without some kind of relaunch or new server; so to my mind, I would be wasting my time reporting them, all the while knowing my efforts will not lead to a desired result.

I shall continue to reap the rewards of the non-classic issues, as all the other Jones'es are doing. After all, fair is fair.

And I shall continue to enjoy myself on the server, as I have already to this point.

Nen
03-24-2010, 02:28 AM
Thank you to Nilbog and Secrets for your responses to my central question. I appreciate your openness and candor. From your responses, it appears that we should not expect a more classic server with respect to most of the concerns I had mentioned. It would seem that there are no plans to improve the current server, and then open a more refined and more classic version of it anew at some point down the road; probably this is mostly due to an inability to create such a version, rather than an unwillingness to do so.

I will continue to report exploits on these forums as I have from my first day here, but I probably will not devote time to reporting the non-classic items in much detail. The damage, so to speak, that the non-classic items have done to this point, is irreversible, without some kind of relaunch or new server; so to my mind, I would be wasting my time reporting them, all the while knowing my efforts will not lead to a desired result.

I shall continue to reap the rewards of the non-classic issues, as all the other Jones'es are doing. After all, fair is fair.

And I shall continue to enjoy myself on the server, as I have already to this point.

Whats with the weird passive aggression?

Couldn't you have just said, "Thank you, but screw you" instead? :)

Nen
03-24-2010, 02:31 AM
fixed several thousand faces

The attention to detail on this server is pretty unreal.

Fixing faces on NPCs is nothing more than a cosmetic change and it actually takes time to research that crap. My hat is off to you guys for your efforts. That's cool stuff there.

Finawin
03-24-2010, 03:54 AM

Dude, anyone else read this and think, "fuck this guy"?

What a pompously venom-lined piece of shit of a post(er).

stormlord
03-24-2010, 04:08 AM
My main thing is that I feel like the xp is to fast. The only data I have to prove my theory is my previous experience with this game. I don't remember getting levels 14 and 15 in 3hrs, but I could be wrong.

Also, any comments or questions I've had were not an attack on this project or on the Devs. If you told me that exp is staying how it is and to fuck off, I'd say np. I'm grateful with what I have and where this game is, but you guys want info and feedback to improve this game and I was just asking/offering my two cents.

Seriously though, Thank you for giving us this server.

-Beor

I first played in march 1999. It took me about 3 months to get level 14. I had 14 days total playtime on that character (i have that same character on live still level 14... his playtime has been 14 days since i quit playing him in 1999 so I could try out UO... came back to EQ and played on sullon zek in 2000-01 and after). Also keep in mind I was playing on rallos zek in 99'. Back then, when a player killed you they could loot your entire inventory. It was hard to level up when big name players were slaughtering noobs in blackburrow. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But those days were some of the funnest I remember. I loved how hard it was (mostly the pvp made pve hard). When I play mmorpgs, I look for that hardcore element, that part that makes them hard. On this project1999, I like that fact that my map doesn't work in all of the zones. It challenges me.

I honestly don't know though. I played here a few months ago and exp rate seemed ok, but the low levels were going a bit fast. I actually like level 1 - 20 the most, so I am never in a hurry and had a bunch of alts. The gnoll teeth speed things up, but I never knew about those in 1999. I don't understand why people want to get level 50 so fast because i've already done that before. If you enjoy playing hte game, your level doesn't matter. In the same reasoning, if you enjoy killing a skeleton outside the qeynos gates or camping blackburrow with friends, then you don't even notice the experience bar going up. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

Sometimes I think god made two people: hardcore and softcore. The hardcore want to bleed, they want glory and riches, they want to be punished when they fail. The softcore just want to be happy. I've always known i'm hardcore. I just cannot live happily in a world that doesn't beat me up and greatly reward me when I do the right thing. I like harsh penalties and complex circumstances. I don't know why, so I think god intended it to be this way. Somehow we all get along, or don't, depending where you live and where you go. Shrug.

The question is not whether you're getting enough experience after you kill something. Instead, it's are you enjoying yourself? If it's not fun to kill the monster then more experience won't make it fun.

Stevebug
03-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Dude, anyone else read this and think, "fuck this guy"?

What a pompously venom-lined piece of shit of a post(er).

This.

Little surprised the devs felt the need to even respond to the OP. Though their response had some interesting info for sure.

Tallenn
03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
You know, the source code and all the DBs (the base stuff, not the stuff the P99 team has added) is all open source.

Feel free to set up and run your own classic server to meet your specific needs....

imcrunchy
03-24-2010, 08:25 AM
the content is classic.. i dont know why people want the bad stuff implemented that verant worked so hard to fix :confused:

Secrets
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM

Secrets
03-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Moving this to rants and flames as the OP is trolling.

Trimm
03-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Jesus dude, go fuck yourself. Seriously. The devs of this server owe nothing to entitled whiny cunts like you. This is by far the most Classic server and it's still just not good enough for you is it? Let me be the first to say I'm deeply, genuinely sorry. Jizzbag. Why can't people understand there will never be a 100% classic EQ server? It's not possible, so they are getting as close as they possibly can. And you know what? It's free!

I hope you are killed by a drunk driver on the way to your only daughter's wedding.

Malrubius
03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_aggressive

grindle
03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Jesus dude, go fuck yourself. Seriously. The devs of this server owe nothing to entitled whiny cunts like you. This is by far the most Classic server and it's still just not good enough for you is it? Let me be the first to say I'm deeply, genuinely sorry. Jizzbag. Why can't people understand there will never be a 100% classic EQ server? It's not possible, so they are getting as close as they possibly can. And you know what? It's free!

I hope you are killed by a drunk driver on the way to your only daughter's wedding.

I generally don't quote other people on the forums but i have to say this type of post is not only childish and uncalled for but makes the population as whole, on this wonderful server, seem like 8 year old children. While i may not agree completely with some of Mutual's opinions i think he has every right to express them and have his ideas heard. I also see how this applies to Trimm and i think he has the right to express his ideas/opinions about Mutuals post but i think while the language and name calling isn't so bad ,the final statement "I hope you are killed by a drunk driver on the way to your only daughter's wedding." is offensive and totally uncalled for. Thank you for listening to my ideas/opinion.

Grindle

Aaron
03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
...I currently have a magician, necromancer and cleric at level 50. My druid is level 42 as of yesterday.

What are their names?

Also...fuck off.

stayne
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
I generally don't quote other people on the forums but i have to say this type of post is not only childish and uncalled for but makes the population as whole, on this wonderful server, seem like 8 year old children. While i may not agree completely with some of Mutual's opinions i think he has every right to express them and have his ideas heard. I also see how this applies to Trimm and i think he has the right to express his ideas/opinions about Mutuals post but i think while the language and name calling isn't so bad ,the final statement "I hope you are killed by a drunk driver on the way to your only daughter's wedding." is offensive and totally uncalled for. Thank you for listening to my ideas/opinion.

Grindle

It's called being brave on the internet with no fear of repercussion (and it always cracks me up...that's why I read this stuff). People will do what they can get away with - and in here they get away with pretty much anything (like the personal attack you quoted). My advice is not to come into this forum if it bothers you.

Excision Rottun
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/16jk6k0.jpg

JaVeDK
03-24-2010, 01:35 PM
This.

Little surprised the devs felt the need to even respond to the OP. Though their response had some interesting info for sure.

If useful information was gained, this thread has more value than 80% of the drivel that infest this board. All some of you seem to contribute is name calling, profanities and personal attacks, which might be why you have trouble understanding that not everyone are like that, and that not all criticism should be viewed as such. I for one found, as previously stated, that the OP had valid concerns and observations that definitely merited a civil response. Just because his opinions differ from mine or yours does not make them less valid or less deserving of respect.

Ferok
03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Thats an interesting drink^

Excision Rottun
03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Thats an interesting drink^

10 Dose Blood of the Wolf, obviously.

Nen
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
If useful information was gained, this thread has more value than 80% of the drivel that infest this board. All some of you seem to contribute is name calling, profanities and personal attacks, which might be why you have trouble understanding that not everyone are like that, and that not all criticism should be viewed as such. I for one found, as previously stated, that the OP had valid concerns and observations that definitely merited a civil response. Just because his opinions differ from mine or yours does not make them less valid or less deserving of respect.

I don't think it's simply a matter of differing opinions. I think the guy came off as a major passive aggressive weenie.

Hasbinbad
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
This chick MutualOfOmaha is a douchebag.

Anyone that supports her is a douchebag.

Anyone that disagrees with Trimm is a douchebag.

..except when I disagree with Trimm, then HE is the douchebag!

Trimm
03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
^^^ Can't disagree with this!

guineapig
03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
If useful information was gained, this thread has more value than 80% of the drivel that infest this board. All some of you seem to contribute is name calling, profanities and personal attacks, which might be why you have trouble understanding that not everyone are like that, and that not all criticism should be viewed as such.

I second this.

Falisaty
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
And unless we can build a magic time machine and go back to 1999 and break into the verant offices and steal the classic source code and database, there will be some things that will never be 100% perfect.

What about the freedom of information act?.....

stormlord
03-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree with doacleric. The server will never be 100%, and if you tried to ensure 100% compliance than the server would probably never be live unless the original developers assisted the effort. It will always be hampered by bugs and exploits. The OP is right that irreparable damage has been done over time, but he's wrong in saying that it's anyone's fault. We're all here to post the problems so they can get fixed, but it will never be a perfect classic experience like the OP wants (and so many of us would like to see). Even if the original developers of eq were to surface and make it 100% technically compliant, we can never go back to 1999 to a time when everything was new and it was like entering a different world - fresh like spring.

Anyway, I thought the OP tried to be too polite about it. My thinking is there was a lot of anger underneath his post, but he was trying to be civil. A lot of people here misinterpreted that as being "passive-aggressive", and thought he was just trolling. But a lot of the responses here are uncivil and fit the exact definition of trolling. So, if you hoped to bring civility, you kind of failed. If you take what he said at face value it's just another person that was wishing for a 100% classic eq and didn't get it, so he was mad and came here to ask why it was this way. That's fine with me. I think the larger issue here is that there's a lot of angst on this forum, not just on the part of the OP. We all need to work to treat eachother more respectfully. Otherwise, as you can see here, the post gets moved to the rants thread. How long before every single post is moved here?