PDA

View Full Version : Teams Please!

Blayze
08-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Im not sure how the community feels about this but I sure did enjoy ORIGINAL vz/tz servers on live and the team aspect. It creates a feeling of commradery and also makes you feel like there is a reason for PvP. Im not sure if the 4 race based teams would work best or maybe just a Freeport vs. Qeynos and have two teams. Just some food for thought! Any thought on the subject would be much appreciated. Either way red99 is going to be an amazing server and I will be playing even if it is FFA! Thanks for all your hard work devs.

Nirgon
08-31-2011, 01:31 PM
All roll team evil, p99 2.0.

Wawaka
08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I agree with this.

We all experienced EQ with teams.. Would be very nice too see this on a classic eq pvp server :D

Envious
08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Only works if all the teams have access to all the classes.

And if they are hard coded.

I would prefer teams, but its most likely going to be a RZ setup.

SearyxTZ
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
I would prefer teams, but its most likely going to be a RZ setup.

Nirgon
08-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Guilds > teams? All teams does is limit PvP. It would be even worse on a low pop (under 200).

Not to mention it's just going to further diminish competition against big guilds and in that regard, limit their targets.

Xantille
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
There's a reason why the live PvP servers inevitably became cross-teaming / invul healing fuckfests. People want to be able to kill whoever they want.

Teams? No thanks.

Nirgon
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
^

Wawaka
08-31-2011, 01:47 PM
<&Rogean> Given an FFA Server with an +/- 8 level difference.. the problem becomes that people will have healers hide just under the level difference (level 41 with 50 max, or 51 with 60 max) to avoid combat with level 60's but still be able to help their level 60 friends.
<&Rogean> I'm considering a dynamic system that will adjust the level you can attack and be attacked by based on those acts. If you are level 41 and you heal a level 50, it will expand the level you can be attacked by up to level 50. Vise versa, if a level 50 heals a level 41, he can then be attacked by level 41's (However, the level 50 will not be able to attack the any 41 until they attack him

Nirgon
08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Again, the request for no lvl limit in raid zones or code that ensures healing a higher level flags you for a set period.

Cwall
08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
no

Leftoverture
08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
yes

merciless midgets

lethdar
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Teams are terrible.

Knuckle
08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
There's a reason why the live PvP servers inevitably became cross-teaming / invul healing fuckfests. People want to be able to kill whoever they want.

Teams? No thanks.

Yukahwa
08-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I dont think teams have a good place in everquest. Doesn't make sense..game wasn't designed that way.

Nirgon
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
If the population was 1,000 and everyone could play ogres. Oh wait that would defeat the point of teams.

Guilds = teams imo.

FFA brings about its own factions etc, and it is way more fun that way.

There will always come a time when you will want to kill someone on your "team". :P, hence the point of this server.

Buhbuh
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, teams would be cool in a 1500 pop server. Here it's probably best that it's FFA. All of us will probably have alts for killing people though, anyway. That somewhat eliminates the same team douches you'd normally want dead.

In a perfect world...

but I'm sayin' FFA.

Rushmore
08-31-2011, 06:50 PM
NO TEAMS SIR

Humerox
08-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Been beat to death. I like teams, but playing RZ style is ok too.

mimixownzall
08-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Guilds > teams? All teams does is limit PvP. It would be even worse on a low pop (under 200).

Not to mention it's just going to further diminish competition against big guilds and in that regard, limit their targets.

What? You are going to wind up with only 2 MAYBE 3 top guilds anyways... thus... two/three teams. Hardcoded teams would help noobs/low levels not yet in guilds.

Someone doesnt like the douches on their team? reroll... happened all the time on SZ.

Xareth
08-31-2011, 11:57 PM
FFA is better for large populations, not smallers ones.

Teams is better for smaller populations / trying to grow populations.

I think FFA is probably best for red99, but I think it's worth looking at the team option. I don't think 4 teams was ever balanced, and religion based teams sucked real bad. Here's a possibile setup for 3 teams:

Team 1 - Dark (Trolls, Ogres, Dark Elves, Humans (Freeport))
Team 2 - Shorty Alliance (Halflings, Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans (Qeynos))
Team 3 - Elves+ (High Elves, Wood Elves, Half Elves, Barbarians, Erudites)

These teams are fairly well balanced. It's close to giving each team access to every class. Still if we're talking classic classic here there's no way for all 3 teams to have shaman no matter what, and if humans are split then there is an extra "race" - but the faggot elves need all the help they can get.

With 2 teams it seems there would be too many players that you couldn't hit, unless this oor emancipator programming works better than expected:

Team 1 - Dark (Trolls, Ogres, Dark Elves, Humans (Freeport), Erudites)
Team 2 - Light (High Elves, Wood Elves, Half Elves, Barbarians, Halflings, Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans (Qeynos))

And we already know 4 teams is broken. So unless races are able to be classes that were unavailable during classic it looks like it'd be pretty hard to balance teams. Even if the vast majority of the player base wanted teams, it looks nearly impossible to balance in true classic.

Yukahwa
08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Team 1 wins. No Ogres on other teams. lol.

Danien
09-01-2011, 12:19 AM
What? You are going to wind up with only 2 MAYBE 3 top guilds anyways... thus... two/three teams. Hardcoded teams would help noobs/low levels not yet in guilds.

Someone doesnt like the douches on their team? reroll... happened all the time on SZ.

I personally prefer teams because it makes life easier for the average player. No teams work fantastic for the top few percentage, but for average joe who have hopes about camping fbss with a buddy or two it sucks. Anyone who doesnt belong to the powerhouses will not get a chance at anything until the top people have camped the items to death.

It's not like people are gonna be nice to the average joe's anyway and leave them alone, almost certainly they'll be killed on sight without a realistic chance of putting up a good fight.

Teams help people find a group and it helps the average player to actually have a shot at doing something interesting when he's online. He'll have a chance to participate in larger combats and defend against smaller raids where he won't be as outmatched as he otherwise likely would be.

Amuk
09-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Too much long established hatred for teams to work here.

Amuk
09-01-2011, 12:20 AM
From what I have seen anyway, not from me personally -_-

Xareth
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I personally prefer teams because it makes life easier for the average player. No teams work fantastic for the top few percentage, but for average joe who have hopes about camping fbss with a buddy or two it sucks. Anyone who doesnt belong to the powerhouses will not get a chance at anything until the top people have camped the items to death.

It's not like people are gonna be nice to the average joe's anyway and leave them alone, almost certainly they'll be killed on sight without a realistic chance of putting up a good fight.

Teams help people find a group and it helps the average player to actually have a shot at doing something interesting when he's online. He'll have a chance to participate in larger combats and defend against smaller raids where he won't be as outmatched as he otherwise likely would be.

Yep, this is why teams is better for low pop servers.

vinx
09-01-2011, 01:00 AM
I tend to disagree with this

no-teams does work fantastic at the top end.. everyones on the same level (minus gear)
you can still camp that FBSS with a buddy or two regardless of teams.. and top people will always lock down or pwn into item camps
(because they dont roll solo)

make life easier? the only thing teams does is allow you to /tell someone if they have a spot open in their group w/o fear of being ganked
now that helps.. BUT
you will still fall into the OOR healer syndrome, when another group decides they want the camp and now you cant attack one of their group members because you are both on the same team
(so now you x-team group. and x-team guild invite wihch nullifies the team aspect and pushes you into the FFA catagory with limitations)

This is just pvp on a pvp server.. it happens

Again, same scenerio as above
will be easy to get into groups, and give you something to do online
but in the scheme of it all it will limit your ability to defend yourself

Teams is fun for roleplay (lower levels) when server has the population for it.
I played VZ teams on live and even with a decent population the server eventually goes x-team anyway (FFA)
Guilds/Groups = teams imo

Danien
09-01-2011, 01:21 AM
I tend to disagree with this

no-teams does work fantastic at the top end.. everyones on the same level (minus gear)
you can still camp that FBSS with a buddy or two regardless of teams.. and top people will always lock down or pwn into item camps
(because they dont roll solo)

make life easier? the only thing teams does is allow you to /tell someone if they have a spot open in their group w/o fear of being ganked
now that helps.. BUT
you will still fall into the OOR healer syndrome, when another group decides they want the camp and now you cant attack one of their group members because you are both on the same team
(so now you x-team group. and x-team guild invite wihch nullifies the team aspect and pushes you into the FFA catagory with limitations)

This is just pvp on a pvp server.. it happens

Obviously you shouldn't be able to group with the other team. Regarding that top people will have a lockdown, they'll naturally have a bigger shot at items but consider this scenario;

Basement Champion 1 and 2 are camping Lord. They need nothing else and have no interest in pursuing anything else in the zone. Little Joe see that assassin is open and calls up his buddy Steve so they can lock it down. This does not pass by unnoticed by the vigilant Basement Champions and they quickly move up and steamrolls poor Joe and Steve.

Joe and Steve figures guk is out of their league and heads over to befallen where they possibly can find an empty camp. Eventually they'll get tired of being limited to befallen and just leave.

Again, same scenerio as above
will be easy to get into groups, and give you something to do online
but in the scheme of it all it will limit your ability to defend yourself

Teams is fun for roleplay (lower levels) when server has the population for it.
I played VZ teams on live and even with a decent population the server eventually goes x-team anyway (FFA)
Guilds/Groups = teams imo

I don't think most people here care about roleplaying so let's leave it out of here. I don't see how it would limit your ability to defend yourself, however it would limit your ability to dominate others. There will almost certainly be a problem with x-teaming but that problem will almost only affect the people at the top, and hopefully it can be limited by GM-activity and severe punishments.

And yes I've been one of those basement champions myself when I played on SZ. First on the weaker good team in most major guild and then on the neutral team where I was in Tides of Wrath.

I really do think this server has to cater more to the little guy then to the hardcore players in order for it to be able to attain longevity.

vinx
09-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Obviously you shouldn't be able to group with the other team.
why not? you want to code in a function that stops people from accepting group/guild invites based on their teams?
I don't think most people here care about roleplaying so let's leave it out of here.
wut? that is directly inline with the above.. if your roleplaying your strictly sticking to your team
There will almost certainly be a problem with x-teaming but that problem will almost only affect the people at the top, and hopefully it can be limited by GM-activity and severe punishments.

again wut?!
:confused: :confused:
Idk why im even responding to an obv troll post

Danien
09-01-2011, 02:58 AM
why not? you want to code in a function that stops people from accepting group/guild invites based on their teams?

wut? that is directly inline with the above.. if your roleplaying your strictly sticking to your team

again wut?!
:confused: :confused:
Idk why im even responding to an obv troll post

I'm finding it hard to believe that you are as dumb as you act but I'll play along;

Yes, you'd be unable to accept group/guild-invites from a team other then your own. The point of the team in this case is that the weaker players can freeride on the stronger ones. The weaker player may have little impact on who actually controls the zone they currently are in, but he can still reap benefits from it and participate when it needs to be defended.

vinx
09-01-2011, 03:03 AM
Yes, you'd be unable to accept group/guild-invites from a team other then your own.
hmm thats a new concept
dont know any servers that were that way on live.... anyone? i need a refresher plz
If your proposing custom features.. doubt thats going to happen as they are developing as close to classic experience as possible
maybe not full on classic.. as they are considering a compromise on YT and a fix for OOR healers (and hopefully losing hybrid penalties)

but yea, sure see if they go for it

Xareth
09-01-2011, 03:13 AM
hmm thats a new concept
dont know any servers that were that way on live.... anyone? i need a refresher plz
If your proposing custom features.. doubt thats going to happen as they are developing as close to classic experience as possible
maybe not full on classic.. as they are considering a compromise on YT and a fix for OOR healers (and hopefully losing hybrid penalties)

Yellow text is not classic. Why would it be included?

If the player base can influence something like that then I'm pushing for Halfling Rangers, and that's just for starters...

vinx
09-01-2011, 03:22 AM
lol the 2 threads about YT (since i dont want to derail)
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46620
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46391
but i cant find rogeans quote! :mad:

we have to many threads all flowing into each other!@
im going to bed!

Danien
09-01-2011, 03:23 AM
hmm thats a new concept

It was like that on SZ, not that I think it's relevant here. From all the information we've got here the ruleset will be customized. What they're trying to replicate are the mechanics and content.

bakkily
09-01-2011, 06:49 AM
just set up a poll, i just tried to but couldnt figure it out, figure nilbog would like to see polls happen to see what we want

vinx
09-01-2011, 07:49 AM
just set up a poll, i just tried to but couldnt figure it out, figure nilbog would like to see polls happen to see what we want
I dont think anyone cares what we want..
they want open discussion and debates on topics of things that were implemented on the different zeks (and maybe somewhat on things that happened on vz/tz) to base their decisions on the type of ruleset that R99 will have.
do we want teams... why?
dont want teams... why?

Any topics pertaining to pvp servers, thats the reason for the 5 stickies anyway /shrug
All a poll will do is create a identical thread to this one

mimixownzall
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Teams? No thanks.

There is a reason why all MMO's coming out are teams... it is better.

dusk883
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Would also prefer teams like old school TZ/VZ. Will settle for anything however.