PDA

View Full Version : Any of you got experience with a paladin?

Galacticus
09-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Was thinking of rolling one for red98 but don't know how they fair in pvp before and after Kunark is released, any of you bros got experience to share?

fistses
09-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Was thinking of rolling one for red98 but don't know how they fair in pvp before and after Kunark is released, any of you bros got experience to share?

hybrids suck dick on live in velious

Kope
09-10-2011, 02:38 PM
hybrids suck dick on live in velious

SK much?

fistses
09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
SK much?

all hybrids sucked. on vztz they were good cause the devs are bad at coding so they had their int/wis scale their mana. no idea about p99

Kope
09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
all hybrids sucked. on vztz they were good cause the devs are bad at coding so they had their int/wis scale their mana. no idea about p99

SKs never sucked on live PvP, ever. Tantors + HT = death to all.

Hobby
09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Paladins are great PvE class...heals, blinds, roots, yadda yadda....plus the best weapon come Sky.

PVP wise, ive never tried it before....I'd assume they would be decent in groups, or atleast great at escaping death :/ layhands + roots / blinds

georgie
09-10-2011, 02:56 PM
i rolled a pally was only fun because it was on secret's box and i was hitting 160s and 200s. then i rolled a pally on KaB it was gay i was maxing at 90 maybe.

Xebekn
09-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Depends on resists and the mana pool they will have on here. VZTZ they were OP in Old World and maybe a little in Kunark. It all depends on the resist mods on the server.

Foxx
09-10-2011, 03:10 PM
on live in velious era paladins were fucking terrible at pvp, and rangers were absolutely terrible.

sk werent good either, they just had unholy harm touch, which made them very powerful once every 72 minutes

paladins could be good during classic with roots and stuns etc etc, but i didnt play during live classic so i have no idea.. and during kunark i was still mid level so i didnt play high end during kunark era until the very end, and i dont remember hybrids being all that great.

played on rallos zek, and out of all the good pvpers i remember, none of them were hybrids.

Kevris
09-10-2011, 03:11 PM
My paladin memories from Tallon Zek seem to be mostly those of disappointment.

It's not so much that I got killed a lot as it is I couldn't ever finish the job myself. Cheap magic resist gear was readily available, and once someone hit 100 or so MR, there was no way root would land. With no jboots or SoW, and no means to stop your target from fleeing, most of my fights ended up with my opponent zone-plugging, or hillbugging and high-taling it out of Dodge.

Use your mana exclusively for heals, and you'll fare pretty well. Expect to hold your ground and chase off attackers, but don't expect that you'll be going on any killing sprees.

Shadow Knights, on the other hand....

fistses
09-10-2011, 03:17 PM
you guys were just terrible at your classes...during velious is when sk paladins bards rangers really shined. granted "shined" doesnt mean they were better than pure melees or casters

and to the assclown who said sk's were good with tantors and HT.. holy shit, did tantors exist in live? kunark? o wait that was velious.

Amuk
09-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Paladins very good, oldworld/classic when people don't have resists you can root/blind/stun and still have clutch LOH/backup heals. Later in Kunark when people have resist gear you'll have celestial elixir or w/e at 60 and a decent 2hnder/da/Loh, all around very good class at any point in the game.

Scribbles
09-10-2011, 03:30 PM
except u wont because celestial elixir is a velious spell

Amuk
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Kevris sounds like a solo player, if you're one Paladin is a pretty poor choice.

Amuk
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Was pretty sure paladins got a dot heal at 60 which was very mana efficient, is my memory that off haha could be.

Kevris
09-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Was pretty sure paladins got a dot heal at 60 which was very mana efficient, is my memory that off haha could be.

We did, and it also had an incredibly low cast time. That was not until Vellious though, around the same time the first paladin group heals were introduced, if I remember right.

Amuk
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Impossible.

Kelsar
09-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Paladin's are great in PvP. You will need SoW or JBOOTS and a GB (or deep six cutlass) + shield. Bash is important vs any caster. You'll also need a heavy hitting 2 hander to joust melees.

You should be fine as long as you're not dumb.

Also, you'll be getting a heavy exp penalty.

Salty
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Paladin = sick with Mith 2 hander.

If you roll with a cleric pal, you two will stun/root lock pals in Lguk for the win.

SKs are weak sauce against a paladin. The problem you'll have with a paladin is most likely going to be Rogues and Monks with super high MR.

Tonomar
09-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Paladin is a bitch to kill, but doesn't do much damage. When i played a pally, I found it pretty boring.

C5BAMF
09-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Paladin's dps comes largely from auto attack, which can be very dull. With the right equipment you'll fair well... however with the right equipment other classes tend to fair better.

During Velious I saw a Paladin with a Fungi and Primal Velium Claidhmore do very well. At lv60 (with that beautiful HoT heal and group heal) he rocked a handful of players and soloed some impressive stuff. Some pvpers tend to ignore paladins, not so much in fear but knowing the fight will most likely take longer than they care to be around for.

Xebekn
09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Paladin's dps comes largely from auto attack, which can be very dull. With the right equipment you'll fair well... however with the right equipment other classes tend to fair better.

During Velious I saw a Paladin with a Fungi and Primal Velium Claidhmore do very well. At lv60 (with that beautiful HoT heal and group heal) he rocked a handful of players and soloed some impressive stuff. Some pvpers tend to ignore paladins, not so much in fear but knowing the fight will most likely take longer than they care to be around for.

Ruh roh

Lasher
09-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Fist is right about hybrid mana on vztz and I heard it is client side so unless dev do something like increase hyrid mana requirement on all spelss by like 15% I wouldnt be surprised to see it on r99. A well geared paladin does well in big fights since they can last for a while. Alfrid on tz seemed to do well but yeah they arent great finishers like sk

C5BAMF
09-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Ruh roh

Yes, a paladins maximum dps comes from auto attack, unless you're praising Flame of Light? I had assumed it wouldn't be necessary to point out that majority of melee pvp tactics involve jousting, including the paladin.

Xebekn
09-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, a paladins maximum dps comes from auto attack, unless you're praising Flame of Light? I had assumed it wouldn't be necessary to point out that majority of melee pvp tactics involve jousting, including the paladin.

Just picking at you bro. VZTZ hoard loves to jump on people who use AA. See: AAStein. Just feeding the trolls, nothing to see here.

JayDee
09-10-2011, 06:22 PM
If melee damage, mana pools and resists reflect those of live, Paladins will be pretty unpopular old world.

gloinz
09-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Paladin = sick with Mith 2 hander.

If you roll with a cleric pal, you two will stun/root lock pals in Lguk for the win.

SKs are weak sauce against a paladin. The problem you'll have with a paladin is most likely going to be Rogues and Monks with super high MR.

hahha monk or rogue hohohoo the pvp champ would grab them and hurl them off a mountain

Rushmore
09-10-2011, 08:21 PM
didn't tarwine own every great melee on vztz not long ago?

Saw many videos bros.

or was that a coding issue? haha

Lasher
09-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Vztz paladin had increaed mana, hot,high accuracy that a classic kunark paladin would not of had. I expect hybrids to be the most different on red compared to vztz

Rushmore
09-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Vztz paladin had increaed mana, hot,high accuracy that a classic kunark paladin would not of had

roger that

Amuk
09-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I jousted his rogue, it wasn't pretty - if he owned people it was because of the above reasons.

fiegi
09-10-2011, 09:06 PM
didn't tarwine own every great melee on vztz not long ago?

Saw many videos bros.

or was that a coding issue? haha

not chucky he did not.

Gnar
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
paladins are tough to kill. They get roots, dispell, blinds (good at lower lvls) stun spells, heals ofc, reses and bash when using a shield. They get pretty boss in kunark with DA and a heal over time at 59.

Gnar
09-10-2011, 10:41 PM
I jousted his rogue, it wasn't pretty - if he owned people it was because of the above reasons.

I killed croup before he ever got gnar below 90%. Never fought his paladin tho 1v1.

Lasher
09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Paladin HoT is actually a velious spell

Doors
09-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Paladins with haste and some resist gear are boss.

Gnar
09-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Paladin HoT is actually a velious spell

Lorekeeper Lasher, you are an infinite tome of wisdom.

SearyxTZ
09-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Paladins are really strong IMO and will be one of the best melee classes in old world where no one has shit for resist gear.

Flash of Light / Stun / Root + Greater Healing + Lay Hands + melee not too far below pre-planar Warrior = pretty good kit for shitting on people in PvP.

Not that the last VZTZ meant much, but I died once on my paladin -- compared to the half dozen or so deaths I took on my Wizard.

SearyxTZ
09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
also, they probably get the best 49 spells of any hybrid

Valor/Pinzarn + Holy Might, which fucking owns (when it lands)

Gnar
09-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Not that the last VZTZ meant much, but I died once on my paladin -- compared to the half dozen or so deaths I took on my Wizard.

Chuck's gardener / landscaper hector once killed a certain mage (he said he forgot his name) and made a pally named seary plug at 1% going into a certain unnamed zone of lesser faydark. But yeah, paladins are pretty good at running away, salty was a pain in the fucking ass to try and catch with his gear + shawl.

Lasher
09-11-2011, 12:32 AM

I dont think it will mean much hopefully hybrid mana pool is right and casters are doing 100% damage

Rushmore
09-11-2011, 12:48 AM
http://sc.cw-usa.com/common/images/products/large/sportsdrinks-accessories-gatorade-squeeze-bottles-box.jpg

Yukahwa
09-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Paladins are definitely high durability. Great class, obviously defensive.

I think SK's have the edge over them over-all because they get to be ogres and other reasons. Still, paladins are great.

I wish there was a real "what class?" poll going on. I like so many classes that I would choose one that is going to be under played just to fill the gap.

SearyxTZ
09-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Chuck's gardener / landscaper hector once killed a certain mage (he said he forgot his name) and made a pally named seary plug at 1% going into a certain unnamed zone of lesser faydark. But yeah, paladins are pretty good at running away, salty was a pain in the fucking ass to try and catch with his gear + shawl.

If I actually made it to a zoneline at 1% then you're damn right I plugged. :cool:

Crenshinabon
09-11-2011, 05:15 AM
I dont think it will mean much hopefully hybrid mana pool is right and casters are doing 100% damage

So let me get this straight. I played on some recent vztz boxes and in all of them caster pvp damage was partial and hybrids hit harder and had more mana...... this wasnt classic? Did spells do full? Makes it even more biased for casters? lol

Casters were powerful on vztz, i will hate to see them on this server if this is the case lol.

SearyxTZ
09-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Casters didn't do 100% in pvp on live

Melees did. Caster pvp damage was always either 66% or 75% (I forget which)

Lasher
09-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure start of classic era casters did full dmg then nerfed to like 66% but not 100% certain and I think dots did full dmg dont think they got nerfed

fiegi
09-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Casters didn't do 100% in pvp on live

Melees did. Caster pvp damage was always either 66% or 75% (I forget which)

This is not true. for a decent amount of time on live spells did full damage.

greatdane
09-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Hybrids are alright, they just lack the raw endgame power of pure melees. If you're a casual player without a gang of friends always around you, hybrid is pretty much the only way to play melee PvP. You'll be somewhat less dependent on top-end gear than warriors, and you'll be less crippled by high resists than most casters are since your damage comes from melee.

You also get a lot of useful utility. Tracking is a godsend in PvP, as is SoW and the ability to snare/root (though it'll mainly be for pets at higher levels when people have resists), and a shadowknight's pet is useful for interrupting non-channeling classes who try to pumice, or for immediately telling you where your attacker is if he tries to snipe you from a hiding place or shadowstepped away. Paladins have pretty reasonable buffs, including magic resist, and root/stuns are amazing on low-resist targets. The ability to heal in some way, which all hybrids have, is absolutely crucial if you solo PvP, because a warrior or rogue who's down to half HP is fucked if he doesn't have a healer with him. You don't want to have to sit on your ass for fifteen minutes to recover from a fight.

Casters don't get any kind of raw survivability until Velious raid gear. A wizard in resist gear has like 1200 HP at level 60, and if you swing for 100-200ish, he's gonna crumble pretty fast. You won't mutilate people in three seconds with some ridiculous discipline like pure melees, but you'll have options more options than "run up and hit him". Don't underestimate the ability to root a pet, run around a corner and greater-heal yourself, or repeatedly lifetap the druid who's trying to kite you with winged death. You're still the caster's bitch if you get caught at max range in Dreadlands, but you're much harder to put at an insurmountable disadvantage than a pure melee is in that situation.

Paladins aren't great, and they'll have a lot of trouble actually killing people, but they're also really hard to take down and are pretty self-sufficient if you run around solo without wanting to actually hunt people. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's looking for a well-rounded casual PvP class or a group PvP powerhouse, but all hybrids are decent generalists for people who don't want to limit themselves to glass cannons, group-only classes, or classes that can only really fight in dungeons. If the server turns out to have XP loss, the ability to 90% rez yourself will be huge as well (if that's possible with a PvP death, anyway).

mitic
09-11-2011, 12:51 PM
pals are good in pvp (not great), lots of stun spells, blind, root and nice weapon arsenal starting with kunark

pojab
09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
all you need is full resist gear, epic, all loot from phara dar, air 40% haste belt and you will be very good at healing sniperfire while he circles around you.

fistses
09-11-2011, 03:40 PM

caster dmg was reduced by 20% around september 99?

SearyxTZ
09-11-2011, 05:53 PM

You might be right, but they patched it quickly.

There's no way they'll do 100% spell damage here. The caster/melee imbalance in old world is already pretty gross with spells only doing 66%.

Kringe
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
caster dmg was reduced by 20% around september 99?

Thats about right fist... March 99 was release and full dmg was in for atleast 6months...

Dot dmg wasnt reduced for over 2 years or so I believe if even that....

I remember 1 ignite blood would kill you straight up as a caster without pumicing it.

Also Egg shaped pummices for the win am i right? IT was in LIVe for atleast 9months..... Needs to happen in red 99 for live like immersions...

Gnar
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
http://sc.cw-usa.com/common/images/products/large/sportsdrinks-accessories-gatorade-squeeze-bottles-box.jpg

lol nice

Nirgon
09-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Pally can be very strong if you gear them up, esp with firey defender. Go dorf obvi to get some hitting power. Lay hands is a nice crutch and everything and I think it does come back on pvp deaths. Most of their offensive spells don't land but they do get greater heal for many of the same levels as druid/shaman and then superior heal at 57. You can't hate on that.

From there they get cancel magic early enough, depends on how dispel counters work here. Hopefully they work, which could be bad for you. Later, the pally gets nullify magic which is pretty effective if you're too cheap (read: don't do hax sol temple $$ quest) to get pumices.

Their root is good for pets and I believe their undead fear works on necro pets in pvp.

Pound for pound I believe if they heal themselves and joust they can beat any melee who doesn't run 1v1 once they get greater heal.