PDA

View Full Version : XP rate

greatdane
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
So will red99 go with the standard p99 XP rate, i.e months to get to the upper levels without unhealthy amounts of play? I was thinking that this might deter a lot of people from playing, because most are already pretty fed up with leveling from p99's stagnant pace, and a PvP server will only make it harder. Maybe something like double XP on weekends? I think it'll be important to get as many people to play as possible, and unlike the older PvP emu servers, people aren't hungering for the classic experience anymore, just the PvP. Getting killed regularly or chased out of zones is only going to make leveling slower, so I suspect some kind of XP boost might be necessary to ramp up the popularity, at least in the beginning. Double XP weekends seem like a great way to ensure activity when it really counts, especially if it launches soon when most people have just gone back to school/work.

Lasher
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Idk, on a side note id like to see rotating hot zones for like low end, mid, and high end

mitic
09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
why? just pvp while you level, at least you can say you acomplished something once u reached 50 on red99

vinx
09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I dont see it happening, i would think this server would have P99 rates
people aren't hungering for the classic experience anymore, just the PvP
imo, this is WHY red99 is going with classic rates. vztz has done this with multiple versions over the years and each box ends up being wiped after a year or so because only the few greifers at high end are left
(after running way players leveling up, new to the game or behind)
sure you get to the endgame quickly and get to play your toon to its potential but everything else besides pvp gets stagnant after awhile if you lose your community.
Getting killed regularly or chased out of zones is only going to make leveling slower
If you have played pvp servers on live you already know leveling on a PVP server takes twice as long to level on then a PVE server
and that prolly wont change here with the R99
being that R99 is also a nilbog/rogean project. sister server if you will of P99's vision of resembeling a classic experience

xp boosts will prolly come from time to time just like they have on P99
but i wouldnt get your hopes up for a scheduled allotment like weekends or w/e

greatdane
09-11-2011, 07:41 PM
The problem as I see it is that many seem in favor of XP loss on death, and if that goes in without some special clause, leveling at a classic XP rate past the 40s is gonna be nearly impossible unless you actively avoid PvP. An XP death at level 45+ is easily a few hours of grinding, and when it already takes months for normal players to get to the upper levels on a blue server, I can definitely see the potential for a game where leveling and being a PvPer are mutually exclusive. The alternative would be something like SZ where you lose XP from PvP deaths but XP losses are significantly reduced, and that just sort of defeats the purpose. I can't see XP loss with current rates working out very well.

vinx
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
The alternative would be something like SZ where you lose XP from PvP deaths but XP losses are significantly reduced, and that just sort of defeats the purpose. I can't see XP loss with current rates working out very well.
I agree, if xp loss from PVP death is in
then the xp loss would need to be lower then a PVE death

which does defeat the purpose for the majority that are trying to grind (this is good)
it will hinder the solo griefer (also good)
but those solo griefers will create gank squads, which might seem bad for the majority but really isnt
most gank squads go from zone to zone or pwn a zone = dont go in there

so the real purpose i think, is trying to deminish the solo griefer from running zone to zone or kill groups trying to grind, basically slow the griefing.
imo, you only feel the hit if your being CCd or you have a bad day where you've run into PVP wherever you go
those days you lose more xp then when you logged in = life on a real pvp server

edit: couple that with the slow xp rates of P99 and thats why alot of players wont play pvp, it can be harsh
I understand the race to 50 and wanting to just pvp all day, but i dont see it on their projects
you will just need to pvp on the way to 50

Galacticus
09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
The problem as I see it is that many seem in favor of XP loss on death, and if that goes in without some special clause, leveling at a classic XP rate past the 40s is gonna be nearly impossible unless you actively avoid PvP. An XP death at level 45+ is easily a few hours of grinding, and when it already takes months for normal players to get to the upper levels on a blue server, I can definitely see the potential for a game where leveling and being a PvPer are mutually exclusive. The alternative would be something like SZ where you lose XP from PvP deaths but XP losses are significantly reduced, and that just sort of defeats the purpose. I can't see XP loss with current rates working out very well.

This.

Foxx
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
xp loss for pvp deaths is dumb

hotstud
09-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Pretty much. Just dying is enough of a punishment in EQ. Especially when you lose your camp because of it and get all your coin looted. There doesn't need to be any exp incentive for PvP.

Nirgon
09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Classic xp.

Lasher
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM

xp loss in pvp does deter bind rushers.

Should make exp loss in pvp except for in cities where it would be considered safe to bind and would prevent you from getting griefed. If you want to bind outside outside of solb then you risk the chance of getting bind camped and losing lots of exp

lethdar
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Classic xp

Envious
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Classic xp.

Knuckle
09-12-2011, 02:28 PM
classic xp only way to keep big population.

Nirgon
09-12-2011, 03:07 PM

XP penalty for death in raid zones? Again, we're straying away from classic :P.

I'd say no loot and scoot rules. If someone hates you that much let them exact their revenge or call in friends.

Billbike
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
classic xp only way to keep big population.

This

Rushmore
09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Classic xp

Rushmore
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Classic xp.

mimixownzall
09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Why do nubs think you have to be level 50 to pvp? Low level pvp is awesome.

greatdane
09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Doesn't have that much of a point to it, though. PvPing over the rights to Nagafen is a lot more intense than PvPing over the rights to the bandit camp in lfay. Also, many classes suck utter ass at certain intervals of levels while all classes are at their full potential at 50+, so it just makes for more balanced fights (as balanced as it'll get in EQ, anyway).

Foxx
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Should make exp loss in pvp except for in cities where it would be considered safe to bind and would prevent you from getting griefed. If you want to bind outside outside of solb then you risk the chance of getting bind camped and losing lots of exp

man makes good points. It does do a good job in deterring the super annoying bind rushers, but it will also heavily encourage people to bind camp players. I know tons of people would bind camp people just to get extra exp deaths on others, i really don't think thats a good idea for the server.

zixxer
09-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Doesn't have that much of a point to it, though. PvPing over the rights to Nagafen is a lot more intense than PvPing over the rights to the bandit camp in lfay. Also, many classes suck utter ass at certain intervals of levels while all classes are at their full potential at 50+, so it just makes for more balanced fights (as balanced as it'll get in EQ, anyway).

I like to pvp to see if I can win, doesn't have to be for the rights to a camp....