PDA

View Full Version : The serious, im gonna cast fear in pvp

Knuckle
09-16-2011, 06:54 PM
"A Brief History of Rogue PvP
At the opening of the PvP-Teams servers during the initial release of Everquest, choosing a rogue was akin to stabbing your own self in the eyeball. Some of us simply had a love for the class and the mystique and stuck with it even after realizing our gaming error, dealing with mocking fingers and laughing voices at every turn. Armor/Inventory items and weapons could be looted (with the exception of no-drop). Soon, weapons were removed from the available looting list. For those who made 30 prior to the nerf (I guess Rallos had a longer run with this?), weapons were disarmed to the ground instead of the inventory and could be picked up. Instill Doubt, Charm, and Fear spells worked on players for a few weeks after the opening of Vallon and Tallon Zek. Resist items were in short supply and casters ruled the land. A sitting caster usually meant he could not see you before the meditation changes. Most everyone ran around naked or bagged their gear at the first sign of trouble. Egg was still sold naturally on vendors. Those classes who fought with their gear on and spent the cash on egg-shaped won easily over their opponents who did not, although naked casters still remained very formidable to melee. Spells were later reduced in power against players by varying amounts. Rogues were the worst class both PvP and PvE (Player vs. Environment, i.e. grouping and raiding). The level cap was set at 50. Casters spawned with full mana after PvP deaths and could bind near opponents to attack multiple times. This was known as bind rushing and later fixed near the opening Kunark. Old poison was amazingly useful for the rogue, giving them magical abilities when few items would. Poison could be applied instantly (multiple times per battle) and often stuck during a time when poison resist was difficult to buff while maintaining high magic/cold/fire resist. The drawback was it took forever to farm and raise and the snare poison components dropped rare off a rare basilisk in Lavastorm. Poison Apply was later nerfed to 8 seconds in preparation for poison changes that came approximately 1 millennium later. These poison changes were keen through some of Kunark until the items on the server made it too easy to buff poison. Later, the introduction of all-purpose Blue Diamond jewelry did not help the plight of poison. Throwing was useful damage, interrupts, and finding invisible opponents, although range items set off damage shields (AND STILL DO). Serrated Bone Dirks and the godly Bone Razor were the weapons to have. No one-hit kills/backstabs, with the exception of the long casting Ice Comet. This was an exciting time, even being the underdog."

interesting note about damage shield for ranged attack also. some other classic pvp coding info in there too im sure, only problem is we are going off a players memory, but im sure it was alot fresher than most of the armchair trolls who said 'this is what classic was like'
source - http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2872

" As Velious wore on, the introduction of massive 2handers such as the Tantor's Tusk, the increased average level on the servers, the introduction of the Dain Ring (with its horrible DS), a swath of improved armor for all classes, the 1.5x resistance debuff increase,"

Wonton
09-16-2011, 06:55 PM
tl;dr

solid
09-16-2011, 06:58 PM
rogue pvp sucked dick until i got a tendonslicer

Rushmore
09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
I still want to play a rogue =(

greatdane
09-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I think any change that doesn't violate expansion limits is worth considering. This means no ridiculous charm/fear in PvP and no instacast pumice IMO. These things were just thoroughly broken and were removed pretty quickly because they were proven to wreck PvP. There's no point in implementing something stupid that only lasted for a little while, because all it does is piss people off. If it was in the game for an entire expansion, leave it in. If it was taken out after a few weeks, what's the point of even spending time coding it, let alone subject the players to broken bullshit that you'll remove soon anyway?

Kelsar
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
What was the point of your post?

While I agree with everything stated, anyone rolling rogue is flat out asking for trouble. There is literally no use for rogues until Kunark. Even then, a Bard is capable of picking most of the important locks. I don't see the need to go into more detail - bottom line is rogues have always been gimped. While poisons may help, they still won't be the final edge to give you a chance against any competent player. And seriously, who sits there through an ice cast while a rogue is at their back? fade, root, nuke, done.

greatdane
09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
the 1.5x resistance debuff increase,"

Holy shit, I remember that now.

Rushmore
09-16-2011, 07:04 PM
You can always get your corpse

You can always get to your group

Poisons I heard are broken on 99

Galacticus
09-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Cool story bro.

greatdane
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Rogues are okay. Melees in general aren't that useless if itemloot stays the hell away so they can actually PvP in gear. Like I said in another thread, six of the classes can't even cast detect invis, and rogue damage is still moderately decent if you can get the target to stay put. Without any real HP gear, a backstab hurts even if it's from an 8 dmg SBD. A level 45 naked wizard has what, 700 HP? Rogues will get raped in 1v1 world PvP, but they're fine for mass PvP assist trains and dungeon PKing.

Titanuk
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM

you will play whatever we want you to play, port bitch

Knuckle
09-16-2011, 07:14 PM
y so mean titty, hes got your gatorade? :(

Knuckle
09-16-2011, 07:15 PM
What was the point of your post?

While I agree with everything stated, anyone rolling rogue is flat out asking for trouble. There is literally no use for rogues until Kunark. Even then, a Bard is capable of picking most of the important locks. I don't see the need to go into more detail - bottom line is rogues have always been gimped. While poisons may help, they still won't be the final edge to give you a chance against any competent player. And seriously, who sits there through an ice cast while a rogue is at their back? fade, root, nuke, done.

point is to verify that fear was removed very, very early like weeks into the pvp server. also some other little gems i found, like the 1.5x debuff not kicking in untill velious, and DS hitting on ranged, which it doesnt here or at least vztz.

Titanuk
09-16-2011, 07:16 PM

he didnt even bring them out at half time

greatdane
09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
When you opponents life reaches zero he is moved to his bindspot with no mana

When was that implemented? Would be a nice way to prevent bindrushing if it was at a time that makes it viable for red99. The document is from Velious, but the source from launch says that people spawned with full mana. I can't remember when the change happened. If it was pre-Kunark, it's definitely worth considering. Like I said, anything that doesn't dip into the next expansion should be fair game.

fistses
09-16-2011, 08:20 PM
i know i aoe feared on my cleric on RZ... so was nerfed somewhere after i obtained that level. lol. was amusing to run into a glob of shorts(during elf vs short wars).

Rushmore
09-16-2011, 09:36 PM

and the bible.

Gnar
09-16-2011, 10:06 PM

Just make your warrior use 1 handers again

Crenshinabon
09-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Fear would further benefit 2 classes that are already powerful enough imo.
Not needed.
Hope its not in personally.

valithteezee
09-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna roll a rogue because they're fucking beast. You guys just can't play for shit.

Ames
09-16-2011, 10:45 PM
please post some footnotes so i can kno wtf is going on

pojab
09-16-2011, 11:54 PM
seriously knuckle i luv u bro but learn to use the enter key. i looked at the op for a whole 3.2 seconds before popping a blood vessel in my eye.

Envious
09-17-2011, 12:19 AM
tl;dr