PDA

View Full Version : 10 Cast Times and Minute Long CC's... How will PvP work in EQ?

VincentVolaju
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
So I never PvPed in EQ before, I figured it was strictly a PvE game that just had a couple PvP servers for that certain type of player who wanted to try and be a boss in EQ by killing other players but not actually a skilled enough PvPer to playing UO at the time. But I dunno maybe I am wrong, but the PvP just seems like it will be really silly and unbalanced.

However, I am really interested in getting involved and trying it out... not sure what I am going to roll yet but I am leaning towards Druid probably, just because Root + Snare + Heals + Ports seem like really good group utility.

The main thing I am concerned about though is, how balanced will PvP in EQ actually be? I mean in any modern day PvP MMO, there is almost no such thing as CC that lasts for over a minute, and noone would day use a spell that takes 10 secs cast because in with half a brain could interrupt that spell within .5 seconds usually. So it just all seems really weird to me and not very balanced at all. Is that true?

Im guessing most people will be roaming in gank squads and group PvP will always be different then 1v1, but assuming the durations of same game mechanics exist in Red99 it just seems like every fight will be the same. Root Melees, Burst down Wizzy / Clerics, Slow/Snare Melee then kill them.

Is that how its going to be for the most part? If not, could someone correct me? Ive always been a huge PvPer, playing EQ on P1999 is COMPLETELY not my style because I am usually a very competitive PvPer and thats basically all I ever do. But for some reason I tried out EQ and I kinda liked better then most other PvE MMOs that Ive played, so I am really interested in how an EQ server that is all about PvP. Just not sure how it is going work out?

Any info / opinions / discussions welcome!

ps: Would Druid be a good choice btw, or am I way off on that one?

Crenshinabon
09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I have always felt the opposite. That all the blue server never really knew what EQ is about lol! Anyways EQ is honestly fairly balanced. Any melee will have a tough time starting because they are gear dependent. Once they start getting some resist etc though they are a force. Cast times are fairly easy to interupt if you are being bashed on by a melee. This makes fast cast times crucial at times. There are a 1/2 dozen or so classes that people consider to be a powerhouse in pvp, but honestly most classes have a counter. As a druid you will learn to HATE dispells. Magic Resist around 80+ is a must for pvp to avoid lots of the annoying cc spells all classes get such as root and snares. Enchanters will always be a nuisance with tash and mez, but their damage output is fairly lower.

Honestly pvp is a HUGE added element to the game. Never on a blue server would I use 1/2 the spells I use on a pvp server. Dispell, shadowstep, see invis? lol... always needed on pvp. Not to mention resistances and HP.

*Edit* I might add that the rogue is often considered underpowered in classic due to weapon selections.

VincentVolaju
09-22-2011, 01:12 PM
i suggest you go back to p99 and wow arena

Great post bro, keep em comin, itll help your post count

pojab
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
eq is the best mmo pvp i have ever played. the different classes actually require different play styles to be effective unlike any new mmo where every single class has abilities to cc,burst dps, heal, quick get away etc that are just named different things.

while i enjoyed uo as well, the pvp strategy in eq is much deeper than syncing explosion+energy bolt + halbred gg.

just give it a shot, figure out who the best players of your class are and ask them how to get better. grow some thick skin and keep away from the shit talking until you get good at your class.

despite the desperate attempts of scared blue players to frantically post about how much of mean jerks pvp'ers are, it is actually the best community of any game i have ever been a part of and if you just get past the learning curve, you will be addicted for sure.

gloinz
09-22-2011, 01:44 PM
So I never PvPed in EQ before, I figured it was strictly a PvE game that just had a couple PvP servers for that certain type of player who wanted to try and be a boss in EQ by killing other players but not actually a skilled enough PvPer to playing UO at the time. But I dunno maybe I am wrong, but the PvP just seems like it will be really silly and unbalanced.

However, I am really interested in getting involved and trying it out... not sure what I am going to roll yet but I am leaning towards Druid probably, just because Root + Snare + Heals + Ports seem like really good group utility.

The main thing I am concerned about though is, how balanced will PvP in EQ actually be? I mean in any modern day PvP MMO, there is almost no such thing as CC that lasts for over a minute, and noone would day use a spell that takes 10 secs cast because in with half a brain could interrupt that spell within .5 seconds usually. So it just all seems really weird to me and not very balanced at all. Is that true?

Im guessing most people will be roaming in gank squads and group PvP will always be different then 1v1, but assuming the durations of same game mechanics exist in Red99 it just seems like every fight will be the same. Root Melees, Burst down Wizzy / Clerics, Slow/Snare Melee then kill them.

Is that how its going to be for the most part? If not, could someone correct me? Ive always been a huge PvPer, playing EQ on P1999 is COMPLETELY not my style because I am usually a very competitive PvPer and thats basically all I ever do. But for some reason I tried out EQ and I kinda liked better then most other PvE MMOs that Ive played, so I am really interested in how an EQ server that is all about PvP. Just not sure how it is going work out?

Any info / opinions / discussions welcome!

ps: Would Druid be a good choice btw, or am I way off on that one?

imo druid can hang with anyone 1v1 in the open, even 1v10 in the open if ur a true tree climbing ninja
in group battles druids becomes a bit less of a factor with heal spamming and little nukes (unless ur group is using napoleonic tactics and u all mass dot and run and the napoleon army dies due to scorched earth tactics), but overall they are a solid class

pojab
09-22-2011, 01:45 PM
also, while its true that some classes will get destroyed by others 1v1, every class is very useful when you get to the guild v guild fighting over dragons scope.

Ravenlof
09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
all i can say is be prepared to take everything with a grain of salt. One of my most fond memorys was the people who would quit because they couldnt take it. But in the end that made for the most attachtment ive ever had to a char in a MMO.

-SZ4Life

valithteezee
09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Speaking of tree climbing druid, I assume the Z-axis is fixed on this server?

That's one thing I always hated about VZTZ; not being able to levi-cast w/o a melee hitting you from 200 feet below.

Xareth
09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
One of my most fond memorys was the people who would quit because they couldnt take it.

Nerdraging was conceived in the bosom of EQpvp.

ChubbyBubbles
09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Nerdraging was conceived in the bosom of EQpvp.

I remember watching my old roommate rage over pvp on eqlive way back in the day on VZ. Dude must of broke at least 4-5 keyboards over the course of half a year. Made for serious lolz.

Crenshinabon
09-22-2011, 03:09 PM
EQ is the root of all my internet rage.

Galacticus
09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
There are shit loads of spells that are useless for pve or rarely used and awesome for pvp.

You dont cast those 10 second spells, you use lower ranks of snare or root to cast them faster.

1v1 you got certian classes that defeat others but in group pvp everyone has their role.

Killing a human that can think and react to your actions brings a whole new level of gameplay to the table.

I think the learning curve can be difficult, you might not understand why you got killed by someone.

There are tricks like casting shitty buffs on yourself first before your important buffs so that those shitty ones get dispelled first. Using lower ranked spells for snare and root to cast them faster, jousting technique, proper terrain usage, the list goes on.

canardvc
09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
WTB blind spell

Silikten
09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Druids are king in kunark if played well. So if you choose to roll one, just hang tough. Indoors you are weak, but most casting classes are. Just be aware of your strong points...outdoors, ledges, corners, etc.

Yukahwa
09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Also z axis is still poop and will need to be fixed.

Galacticus
09-22-2011, 03:47 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2cfwlk1.gif

fistses
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
what is with these ridiculous posts. doesnt matter which class you go, you'll suck dick at it until you actually play for more than 5 mintues and not give up.

Galacticus
09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
what is with these ridiculous posts. doesnt matter which class you go, you'll suck dick at it until you actually play for more than 5 mintues and not give up.

Longer then that...

VincentVolaju
09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah I know the basic PvP strats for most MMOs, casting lower rank spells for quick casts or stacking shitty buffs so people waste there dispells etc. I didnt mean I was a noob to PvP, just a noob to EQ PvP. Ive been PvPing since 1998 w/ UO and played everything between that and the more recent MMOs (WoW, L2, AoC etc.)

Thats what im saying, all I ever do in MMO's is PvP, but I was getting bored of WoW and the others and figured Id try out EQ since its a PvE game and wasnt my style. Turns out it was better then I thought and when I heard about a PvP EQ server, I really got interested cause thats like I usually do anyway ... but yeah, wasn't sure how it would work with the long cast spells and long CC etc.

But I guess if the general idea is to stack resist for short duration CC and use lower level spells to kite people, then maybe there will be a bit more skill involved then just a stack of wizards sitting on a rock spaming 10 sec cast spells and 1 shotting everyone. It just seemed to me like the skill cap for a player in this game when it comes to PvP is very small considering you can only ever have 10 spells at a time anyway, and most spells are 3-4 sec +, where as modern PvP MMOs tend to have 30ish + hotkeys and half of them are instant cast.

I dunno, it sounds better then what I was originally thinking, it actually sounds pretty fun. And yeah in most games there is always a class that counters another one, that was a given in most games. But being able to run w/ a full group and be able to take on other groups that are 2-3x the size of your own like Ive read in other posts, that sounds pretty awesome and would def. be something Id like to get into.

dusk883
09-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Why does any game have to be "balanced"...

There's no trophies... EQ was never "balanced" and didn't the concept start with World of Warcraft? Oh wait, actually in Beta they told us that even WoW wasn't intended to be "balanced". Then all that changed with 23 million players kept whining.

Just do your thing when you come to Red 99 and smell the roses. You're going to die, you're going to win here and there, too. No, your Warrior isnt ever going to find "balance" when solo fighting an SK.. the list goes on and on. All classes have a role and are great for group pvp so if balance is your thing and you don't find it... get a group and have fun out there.

dusk883
09-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Tell me how "balance" works, say if you're an enchanter OOM and sitting when the Ogre SK walks up, Cling Darkness' your ass and double whacks you + HT and the fight begins.

Pvp isn't usually going to start with an 1840s pistol duel set of rules... in my experience, he who gets first shot is going to have a pretty good start on things.

Nirgon
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
pvp in eq, how does it work?

Ziggy
09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
if you have good communication CC is really not a factor in pvp on ffa

Amuk
09-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Dota had 4 abilities and skill gap was insane, you sound like a pvp scrub I doubt your gay wow arena team did good either, that's just my prediction by how you type/write novels over common sense shit.

Sorath
09-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Pvp in eq is very competitive and unforgiving, most of the pvpers know every single thing they can do to get an upper hand a blubie or new player to eq pvp is going to have a very sore bung hole.

Galacticus
09-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Wipe it clean

Sorath
09-22-2011, 11:25 PM
im tryin to level past decayin skeleton.....

jilena
09-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Skeletons are cool. Halloween soon.

Pudge
09-22-2011, 11:56 PM
i'd rather be a decaying skeleton than a planar protector.. sounds so gay. not even a mob...

Billbike
09-23-2011, 09:26 AM
You are going to be overwhelmed, discouraged, and awstruck at the level of cruelty and disregard for others feelings on r99.

Only through time, effort, blood, sweat, tears and broken keyboards will you ascend to equality.

My message to brave Blubies: Stick it out. You will improve. There is NO experience in gaming like a hard fought, evenly matched fight versus another living, breathing, thinking player in everquest.

lethdar
09-23-2011, 09:48 AM
When you're feeling blue, just think about the 14 hours you waited in line to camp FBSS, then realize you can get some friends, fight for, and if you win have immediate access rather than wasting a whole day waiting in live.

Titanuk
09-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Lethdar always hits the spot, im so glad he took me under his wing and let me follow his footsteps

vinx
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
You are going to be overwhelmed, discouraged, and awstruck at the level of cruelty and disregard for others feelings on r99.

Only through time, effort, blood, sweat, tears and broken keyboards will you ascend to equality.

My message to brave Blubies: Stick it out. You will improve. There is NO experience in gaming like a hard fought, evenly matched fight versus another living, breathing, thinking player in everquest.
so much truth

pickled_heretic
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Dota had 4 abilities and skill gap was insane

i laughed irl