PDA

View Full Version : The Red99 Newb Warrior's Guide

dusk883
09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Never played a Warrior on any pvp server back in the day. Always wanted to.

My memory tells me that 100 MR back in the day made resists "noticeable" but 2 of 3 spells were generally going to land and you were going to be rooted/mezzed/nuked. I'm told I'm wrong on a few threads. Ok, I hope I am.

Seems most of the people want a system where 100 MR will resist "most" spells. If this is the case, I'm totally sold this is the time and place for me to go Warrior, finally.

Questions:

1- What's the natural MR for a naked Warrior at level 50? Noone else gets the 1 MR per level, correct? So, for perspective, what's the natural MR for a naked any-other-class at level 50? MR=roughly 20?

2 -What were some of the droppable MR gear out there? I remember bloodstained mantle and that's about where I'm at a loss.

3- Low level snare weaps were Gnoll Hide Lariat and some other whips? (I don't play 99 much, 10 min a week or something... been waiting and hoping for a Red server)

valithteezee
09-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Honestly, make sure you make some friends and start getting some gear early. There's a bunch of quests you can do like the Langseax(6/23 1hs) and you can always take up blacksmithing to get some early AC advantages.

dusk883
09-27-2011, 03:03 PM
See, now I'm excited to play. Done waffling with "what class??" issues. 6/23 1HS Langseax, totally forgot about those.

dusk883
09-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Langseax requires amiable or better faction with Wolves of the North. Suppose I'm a wood elf warrior, just for example, and want to raise that faction to complete the quest? Or is this Langseax quest a barbarian-only sort of deal where a wood elf warrior would be better off pursuing something else?

EDIT: Just googled, gnoll fangs to Halas raises the faction...

Tombom
09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Langseax requires amiable or better faction with Wolves of the North. Suppose I'm a wood elf warrior, just for example, and want to raise that faction to complete the quest? Or is this Langseax quest a barbarian-only sort of deal where a wood elf warrior would be better off pursuing something else?

EDIT: Just googled, gnoll fangs to Halas raises the faction...

yeah go lvl in BB collect fangs and you'll have your faction that being said, why play elf over barb and why play barb over ogre

gloinz
09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
why play elf over barb and barb over ogre and ogre over dwarf

dwarf proven best jousting race with dwarf roll jump flip

Crenshinabon
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Pretty sure warriors did not get +1 mr per level.
Bloodstained Mantle is 10.
Runed Bone Fork if you dont want to bow for 10 mr.
Mithril gear gives 5 on arms 5 on legs.
Split Paw Mask was 5.
Then there is the jewelry and bracers. Thats like 7 on each bracer for 14 total.
Whitegold Necklace gave 7 mr but is pretty rare.
SSB is 10 easy MR.

dusk883
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah go lvl in BB collect fangs and you'll have your faction that being said, why play elf over barb and why play barb over ogre

No idea, was thinking out loud on the many race choices for a Warrior. Ogre warrior does sound better than all at the moment. Was thinking initially a Wood Elf or Dark Elf would be something of a rarity on the server.

dusk883
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Pretty sure warriors did not get +1 mr per level.

I believe they did, especially since that was the case on blue servers right?

Started at level 10 or something.

Eldaran
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Play whatever race class you want. If you conform to what the easiest choice is chances are you will get bored being one of the sheep.

Bockscar
09-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Warriors get 0.5 MR per level, or effectively 1 MR every other level. So 50MR at level 50, or 55 if you're a dwarf (don't make a dwarf warrior on red99, there probably won't be kickstun at 50 like on VZTZ).

It mostly comes down to jousting and judgment. Gear as well, but warriors are in kind of the unique position where you're either a non-raider in which case almost all your optimal PvP gear is trivial to get, or you're a raider and you know what to go for. With a couple of powerful warrior-only weapons in the planes, they're pretty well off.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot specific to warrior gameplay that doesn't apply to everybody else as well, i.e general game knowledge that doesn't really need to go in a warrior guide. It's a straight-forward class that relies on raw power and good itemization. As a pure melee, you won't be self-sufficient at all and you shouldn't expect to have an easy time if you PvP solo.

You can get 100+ MR with farly easy gear, and 150+ with great gear. After 120ish, you're probably better off trying to get your FR/CR to 100 instead of piling on more MR. Try to get jboots and pegasus cloak as quickly as possible. Always carry a bow, it's crucial for chasing to keep your character pointed at the enemy or you might get juked and lose track of the target. Always carry extra pumice and crimson potions. Look for other useful clickies such as snare nets from permafrost and cure potions. Keepy a supply of SoW potions or you'll get kited by druids and shamans.

Basic resist gear goal:

2x Earring of Fire Reflection (bought in lavastorm)
White Gold Necklace (lguk) or Wolf's Eye Platinum Neclace (crafted)
Split Paw Hide Mask (paw) or Lizardskin Tribal Mask (cazic thule)
Skull-shaped Barbute (lguk) or Blackened Iron Crown if you can't get into guk
2x Wolf's Eye Golden Bracelet (crafted)
Fiery Vambraces (solA)
Bloodstained Mantle (unrest)
Dwarven Ringmail Tunic (crushbone) if you didn't listen and picked dwarf
Cloak of the Ice Bear (everfrost)
Drakescale Belt (solA) until you can get an FBSS
Icy Greaves (permafrost)
Charred Boots (solA)
Executioner Axe (lguk)
Runed Bone Fork (uguk)

That'll put you at like 110MR, or a dozen more if you picked dwarf for the tempting +13MR +8FR +8CR (5 from dwarf, 8/8/8 from tunic). Fire and cold will be decent, and buffs will bump them to useful levels. Add diamond/jacinth jewelry, mithril arms/legs and a Tranix crown when you can, and keep a froggy crown in your bag.

dusk883
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all that info, .5 per level...damn that isn't as exciting as 1 per level!

Bockscar
09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
It would be a bit too easy if warriors got 75MR naked, wouldn't it?

dusk883
09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
It would be a bit too easy if warriors got 75MR naked, wouldn't it?

Well, I wouldnt complain...

So really it's possibly Dwarf for more MR (and low level extra MR at that) or large race for Slam... choices choices...

Dwarves do get to be close to the fairy high elves in GF early on, too...

Bockscar
09-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Slam is enormously superior to the bit of extra resists on the dwarf, plus ogres have insane stats which is a big bonus when you're wearing mostly resist gear.

dusk883
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
True. Things to ponder for the casual player, and one who is weak minded like me, "can you put up with the exp penalty for ogre?"

Slam sure pissed me off back in the day though...