PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Caster Mobs

savarin
04-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I've yet to see this mentioned by anyone else and haven't found anything in the forums about it, but I definitely remember caster mobs being significantly weaker in the old days until a patch sometime during or after velious. Previous to this, caster mobs generally cast spells far below what their actual level would predict. I remember this specifically because I played a warrior and recall that before the patch, pulling wiz mobs in sebilis wasn't terribly dangerous because they cast extremely weak nukes more appropriate for a level 30 mob. After the patch they began using things like ice comet and force strike, causing them to be far more formidable. I've tried checking patch archives but I can't seem to find exactly when it happened; I'm hoping someone with superior research skills remembers this as well.

When the change occurred it certainly made caster mobs much more of a threat, but because this was after velious it wasn't completely out of proportion to the itemization implemented at that point. Though I certainly didn't like the fact wizard mobs could suddenly ice comet me, with velious gear it was manageable. Unfortunately it appears on this server that caster mobs are as they were after the change, casting nukes appropriate for their level. The issue is that in the classic era this makes them significantly more formidable than they were in old eq, to the extent that caster mobs are capable of absolutely destroying PCs lacking a heavy arsenal of stuns. Post-velious it wasn't especially difficult to get your resists to a respectable level, but in classic it's significantly more difficult.

Now I might be wrong, it could be that this change only affected sebilis mobs, or mobs in that particular level range. My memory isn't clear, and I certainly remember healer mobs being more difficult than warrior mobs. Nonetheless, with the possible exception of festering hags, I don't remember caster mobs quite so formidable in old eq. Somewhat related are some of the hate mobs, specifically the bard mobs actually casting bard songs and the pet classes (golems & revs) actually having pets up. I'm less clear about this as I did not raid hate very many times, but I have no recollection of revenants having pets or banshees (or any bard mob for that matter) casting songs.

Isildur
04-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Watch out for a desert madman!

/chain 70dmg nukes from start to finish

spoolie
04-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Ya I have to say that was one of the first major things i noticed on this server when playing was how the casters NPC are way out of tune.. so I went and did some research for ya...and

JUNE 5, 2002

NPC casters should be a little bit smarter now. They will choose their spells a little more carefully.

This caused a shit storm for about a week. I do remember the ice comet of death from seb frogs because that is where i used to AA. So now it comes to this about a week later.

JUNE 12, 2002

* NPCs are now bound by spell casting distance rules, meaning that an NPC's spell will no longer connect from halfway across the zone.
* NPCs now have a chance to be interrupted by normal combat when casting newer spells.
* NPCs that are much lower level than their target have had their potential casting damage reduced using a similar mechanic to the one that player characters' level differences use.
* NPC Wizards no longer have an inherent bonus to their fire and cold based spells.
* Most NPCs that had previously had their spellcasting level inflated to make up for poor spell selection have been brought back into line with their actual level.
* NPCs no longer automatically get free access to rarely dropped spells, such as Garrison's Superior Sundering and Funeral Pyre of Kelador.

so there ya go. we have it seems like the OP spell file and not the original NPC spells.

Uaellaen
04-11-2010, 02:06 AM
i think the problem seems more related to that NPCs seem to ignore resists almost completly ...

getting feared by a dark blue mob repeadetly with 200+ MR seems out of line to me ... the same goes for lvl 26~29 mobs nuking a lvl 50 character for full damage, each time, without a single resist, with resists above 100 ...

was funny when i went to unrest 2 ~ 3 weeks ago, pulled 4 festering hags, and was shot down in roughly 15 seconds (~1700 hp with symbol up) ... they kept chain nuking me for 200+ dmg each ...

EDIT: yeah well, it wasnt exactly fun since i was bound at guk :p

Gorroth
04-11-2010, 05:49 AM
I can confirm that there's definitely something off when it comes to mobs considering players' resists.

Even greens land spells easily. Getting feared by a green mob in Unrest is fun, but being a puller and getting repeatedly feared even with high resists (150+) isn't.

girth
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't recall the casters chain casting until they ran oom either, but I could be wrong, I was barely a teenager at the time.

I saw mobs in HHK on my monk that would chain cast their AOE basically until it died, there is no way it was like that on live, I don't remember taking much damage at all doing HHK on live as a dps.

Jify
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
i think the problem seems more related to that NPCs seem to ignore resists almost completly ...

getting feared by a dark blue mob repeadetly with 200+ MR seems out of line to me ... the same goes for lvl 26~29 mobs nuking a lvl 50 character for full damage, each time, without a single resist, with resists above 100 ...

I can vouch for this. I routinely have to hit 400 MR to resist fear & root on a consistent basis. I remember back in the day doing Vox, with the requirement being 140 MR/CR before joining a dragon pickup group. And at that point it was pretty easy. (140 + buffs)

On that note, can we bring back Maylong with his uber AE? I think I have enough MR to duo him now. ;D

Uaellaen
04-12-2010, 04:43 AM
I can vouch for this. I routinely have to hit 400 MR to resist fear & root

shouldnt resists be limited to 255 before luclin?

guineapig
04-12-2010, 07:45 AM
shouldnt resists be limited to 255 before luclin?

Yes.

Jify
04-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes.

Thought that was a little high!

And to be honest. That probably speaks to the "state of resists" best. I know it's a trial and error approach, but it requires very very high resists atm to resist anything. :(

Uaellaen
04-17-2010, 04:30 AM
of course, since the resist chances are based on a % value ... so 200 MR of 255 is LOTS but 200 of 500 is .. meh ..

so we need the resist caps fixed to go back in line at 255, and all is fine for classic and beyond ...

Uaellaen
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
ok best evidence we could come up with at the moment ><

bla bla .... (A few expections are paladin DA's and bard kiting) In order for YOUR raid to work best, the monk needs to have the highest resists (255) he can. bla bla ...

it was posted arround the velious era ...
Posted: Aug 27th 2001 11:49pm
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5224

and a guide to do NToV

Bard is adding 160 MR 80FR/CR/DR/PR with his songs (Elemental Rhythms and Guardian Rhythms) using a Selos Drum of the March - what means using his drums he wont melee. Best use of her/him is with peoples who laggin on resists or in AOE Range (Resists are at 255 maxed)

http://www.monkly-business.net/index.php?pageid=Veeshan

couldnt find any patch notes yet that sayd specificaly what amount was the cap ...

the only thing we could find in patch notes so far is:

------------------------------
September 4, 2002 3:00 am
------------------------------

- Resists matter more for PCs. There are now tangible differences
between having 50, 150, and 250 in a given resistance, for example.
Resistance buffs, bard songs, and resist gear have actual value, all
the way up the line.

is that enought to fix it? ><

Uaellaen
04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
maybe one more thing ... the cap of 255 wasnt randomly picked ... it was just the max possible amount they could dish out with the binary system they used ...

since it only has 256 possible states (0 - 255) ... gotta remember this is 10+ years ago ...

Uaellaen
04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
so do i have to look for even more evidence? =O

girth
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Based on actually playing this game and dying to a blue con caster in like 5 seconds from full to nothing, I would say you are SPOT ON and your evidence should be enough to get a fix in for this.

Caster NPCs are waaaaay to powerful at the moment, and they hit for full damage every time it seems like.

Nen
04-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Based on actually playing this game and dying to a blue con caster in like 5 seconds from full to nothing, I would say you are SPOT ON and your evidence should be enough to get a fix in for this.

Caster NPCs are waaaaay to powerful at the moment, and they hit for full damage every time it seems like.

Tend to agree... Kind of unfair that the caster mobs can not only cast their most powerful offensive spells (and do repeatedly) but can also wail on you like a warrior with a 2hs (minus the delay!)

Omnimorph
04-21-2010, 04:57 AM
On a side note it means charming a wizard, giving him 2 weps, and clarity makes for a rather nice pet, that is very controllable when charm breaks since he won't come to hit you but rather try nuking you, in which case you can hit him up with a short duration mez :p

Looking forward to my pet ice cometing shit :D

Uaellaen
04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
that is very controllable

that shouldnt be the case ... i also bring that down to the resist cap beeing wrong ... thats why mobs are so easily charmable / keepable at the moment, wich they definatly werent in classic ... charm was no where near as reliable ...

Omnimorph
04-21-2010, 11:06 AM
that shouldnt be the case ... i also bring that down to the resist cap beeing wrong ... thats why mobs are so easily charmable / keepable at the moment, wich they definatly werent in classic ... charm was no where near as reliable ...

I meant that rather than having a hasted dual wielding beast straight in your face interrupting your spells, you have a casting mob trying to cast on you (usually a 4-5 second nuke) of which you can quickly mez them in this time.

This is more to do with the case that mobs that can cast, will cast on you at first opportunity. Making them easier to control because you don't get hit during recharming. Also the dmg they do with nukes is usually higher than straight melee. Only downside is they have less hp. But that's not a massive downside :p

Uaellaen
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
oh yeah sorry, missunderstood =D

guineapig
04-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Well bump on the resist caps issue. Has this been looked into?
Are mobs not taking into account that % should be based on the 255 cap?

Uaellaen
04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
the cap is definatly way past 255 atm as confirmed by jify buffing his resists to 400ish ...
so the % value is totaly off .. and since its insane to get resists over 200 in classic, leave alone towards 400 this is kinda game breaking for NPC casters ...

especialy in fear, where our pullers get more fear kited then pulling anything with 200+ MR ...

dont know if it was looked into, but im bumping it again ><

grindle
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Yea i remember as a SK in old days being turned down once for a raid because my MR was under 150 at the time. Thanks for doing all the look up on this will make for a experience much closer to Classic

Zordana
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
bump

Audacious93c
04-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Honestly, I didnt think about that. I didnt read this this thread till Uua pointed it out in another one. During live, it seemed a lot more likely with resist gear that I wouldnt have to worry about fear, blind, dispel and all that mess. Was still a chance at it landing... but not so much. Its funny having 150ish MR and still having magic based spells land on you consistently. Hell, Bard song was on me earlier today and I was still feared.

So yea, if resists are calculating off of 150 out of 500 then it needs to be fixed for NPC's and PC's alike. I dont see any GM response to this inquiry however, so its hard not to be disappointed in the lack of one :(.

Uaellaen
04-24-2010, 08:26 AM
perfect, now we have a fucking ad bot posting here before even a GM looks in =_=

Gwence
04-24-2010, 09:03 AM
I bet the resists are capping out at whatever the cap is/was with the titanium client on live which I think was 500.

Uaellaen
04-24-2010, 09:14 AM
I bet the resists are capping out at whatever the cap is/was with the titanium client on live which I think was 500.

changed to 500 with luclin, so your statement is correct, should be 255 thou ... and i dont think that value is set on the client side ...

Audacious93c
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Would that be handled within the spell file?

Uaellaen
04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
it would be realy nice if one of the devs sayd "we might be able to fix this" or "we are looking into it" or "added it to our bug list" or anything like that =( its a HUGE issue ... i know you guys are very busy, and i appreciate all of your work very much, this is in no way ment to sound offensive, and if it does im sorry already ><

guineapig
04-26-2010, 11:46 AM
So basically what this means is that even if I get my Magic or fire resist to 250 it still will only give me a 50% chance of resisting certain raid spells because it's looking at my resists as being 50% of the max cap (500)?

Am I reading this correctly?

Uaellaen
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
yes, you will start to resist reliably at 400+

Omnimorph
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
yes, you will start to resist reliably at 400+

Tov will be fun :D

Uaellaen
04-26-2010, 06:56 PM
tov wont be so bad, by then you actualy can get your resists that high :P

AlexL4172
04-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Bumping this because seriously, this should be fixed or at least commented on by a developer.

Omnimorph
04-28-2010, 05:04 AM
tov wont be so bad, by then you actualy can get your resists that high :P

When were the resist caps increased to 500 in the timeline of live? I remember 255 being max in classic, but don't remember when it changed :/

Uaellaen
04-28-2010, 05:16 AM
When were the resist caps increased to 500
with luclin and the AAs

Deathrydar
04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
I changed my sig to reflect the OP of casters on this server! :p

AlexL4172
04-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Still waiting for response, it's retarded that dervish wizards cast for like 60dd nukes at lvl 12ish.

eqholmes
04-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Bumping this so that a DEV will look. Would be very nice to get a comment back about this. Since it is literally game breaking and most raid mobs are AOE'ers. I mean what’s the point to spend 15-25k in resist gear when your better off going for the most hp you can possible get?

Holmes 50 nerco DA
Gretzky 20 ranger DA

dali_lb
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
This definetly should be taken care off. With the gear people have available at this stage of the server, Caster mob's are way out of whack.
It might have been making caster mobs a bit too easy in the early game, but with the armor updates of Luclin, it was fair at that time that NPC's got upped to mach player lvl more.
It's totally redicolous to be pnwed by a green shaman or Necro mob, that in classic would take less than 2 sec. to kill, if it were BLUE

maultar
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I concur. Several places I've been casters are nasty. Which makes me wonder maybe that why people are scared of Kedge and the seahorses. because I don't remember that area being a big deal.

And could be why several times my wife and I got our asses handed to us in Kerra Isle, but again in another post I think that zone isn't the original classic from mobs all the way to the layout. But I could be smoking crack on that.

Deathrydar
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Maybe the devs don't know what to do to fix it and that is why they are not responding..... :confused:

guineapig
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't know if this helps or hurts our cause but I found this in the EQ patch history:

SEPTEMBER 4, 2002
We've made some fairly drastic changes to the way the spell resistance system works. Previously, there was only the smallest benefit to having resists over a certain value. We've reworked resistance in its entirety, completely replacing the old system with one that is more logical.

The idea behind the changes is pretty simple: Resists should matter in a way that makes sense.

Important things to note about the new resistance system:

* Resists matter more for PCs. There are now tangible differences between having 50, 150, and 250 in a given resistance, for example. Resistance buffs, bard songs, and resist gear have actual value, all the way up the line.
* Conversely, resistances also matter more for NPCs. Some NPCs became more vulnerable to things they have always been vulnerable to, other NPCs became more resistant to things that they were inclined to be somewhat resistant to.
* Resistance debuffs should also have more value, all the way up the line. For the first time, resistance debuffs now have the ability to bring NPCs that were lure-style only down into the range of being hit by normal spells.
* The hard level limit involving players casting on NPCs has been removed. This used to be referred to in EQ folklore as the "Six Level Limit" (It was actually 1.25 times the caster's level, but more people likely thought about it the other way.) This means that in the vast majority of cases, there is at least a small chance that a person will be able to connect a spell with an NPC, even if they are out of that NPC's traditional level range.
* Overall, against NPCs that have medium-to-high resistances of a given type, expect to see more full hits, fewer partials, but more full resists in the new system. Taken over time, the damage done by PC casters to semi-high resistance NPCs should be approximately the same, but will definitely improve when the proper debuffs are applied (we wanted to make sure that this did not turn into a universal nerf of casters).

We look forward to seeing how these changes play out in front of a larger audience.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure that in order to actually increase your resist cap in Luclin you had to invest AA points into it. In other words we should not be able to achieve that high of a resist at all on this server ever. Is this correct?

AlexL4172
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't get it, do you guys(developers) think this thread is going to go away if you just ignore it? Or are you afraid of the fallout a thread delete might cause?

Uaellaen
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't get it, do you guys(developers) think this thread is going to go away if you just ignore it? Or are you afraid of the fallout a thread delete might cause?

dont attack them, they have alot of work at theyr hands ... they will get to it when they have the time ... there is absolutly no reason to BS them ....

girth
04-29-2010, 10:45 PM

you are fkkn retarded

AlexL4172
04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
It takes two seconds for them to respond one way or the other. Your fucking retarded because you think there to busy to respond to this issue when they respond to issues just like these in this very same sub forum everyday yet they chose to go out of their way to ignore this one.

If they just said fuck that, it's to much work that would be fine with me, but they chose to just not respond at all.

eqholmes
04-30-2010, 12:27 AM
It takes two seconds for them to respond one way or the other. Your fucking retarded because you think there to busy to respond to this issue when they respond to issues just like these in this very same sub forum everyday yet they chose to go out of their way to ignore this one.

If they just said fuck that, it's to much work that would be fine with me, but they chose to just not respond at all.

Even tho he is raging, he has a point. Don't get me wrong I agree that you went about this the wrong way, but if any of the DEVS would do a post and at least put a blank message or a period in a post so that we know they have looked at this thread, well I'd probally dance naked, more so than I do now.

Holmes 50 nerco DA
Gretzky 21 ranger DA

Brut
04-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Personally I find the Fear/Charm spells to be the most broken ones; and having tried a few other servers, it seemed the same issue was going on elsewhere, too...

Good example of charm would be a fae drake emperor (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3684). I was camping the wood elf chick for the Paineel cleric quest, parading around lesser faydark, killing whatever I saw roam. Engaged a plenty of these buggers, and at lvl50, I was being charmed by lvl16 enc mobs. Pretty much a 50/50 probability of them landing it. It usually broke pretty fast, but the fact that it lands is absurd. Wasn't wearing any bigger resist gear, so I'd say my MR was around 70. At lvl20 or so when you'd imagine yourself fighting these, that should be plenty enough to handle it. Add to that the resists of me being more than 30 levels above them, and the charm should land like 0.1% probability. Hell, do lvl16 encs even have a spell to charm anything above lvl40? =p

And then there's the lovelies of Fear/Hate.
Here's a good example: I was going around there with 180MR: aggroed 2 ire ghasts + some others at one point, FD failed and stood there to die... I resisted both of their HTs, few rounds of shroud of hates, some other crap like their dots or something, don't remember. Alot of times I found myself resisting HTs and whatever, some caster nukes (cleric nukes, revenant nukes, revenant choke-line spells, bard songs from banshees...). But whenever the ghasts would cast Inspire Fear, it's like I can resist it with a meagerly 1/6 possibility. And it'd stick for a full duration just about every time. Same with toads in Fear, the buggers just fear kite you around the zone for ages and you resist it once a decade, only for them to recast it the next second and land it again. More of the same would be going on with the shadowknight-mob Crusaders in Cazic Thule: they conned high green green to me while I was hunting them, and they kept landing fear just about every single time they'd feel like casting it. Everything else they or their chums threw at me was being resisted easy peasy.

Taluvill
04-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Sometimes I'll be playing a meelee character we have for raids with 215 MR, and He can get feared in hate from the ghasts like 70% of the time probably. It's pretty much rediculous

Brut
04-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Yeh, I used shammy MR pots to get over some 210MR during a few raids, but stopped wasting pp on those since it makes pretty much no difference.

AlexL4172
04-30-2010, 05:20 AM
Its because fear and charms are all or nothing, there is no chance for partials. NPC fears often have -MR resist checks as well.

Scrubby McGee
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
On live, the normal xp mobs didn't cast fear, but a different version of it.

It was Fear II and more of a stun.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=475&source=Live

Edit: though this will probably just give mobs another way to stunlock us.

laeolan
05-01-2010, 03:31 AM
I needed a quest piece from Sol A today. I didn't buff my resists as I didn't think I would need to. I did not run into any trouble, but I was surprised by how easy it was for a green to nuke me. I'm level 50 and an 'inferno goblin wizard' which Alla's lists as level 26-27 was able to nuke me like:

'You feel your skin freeze over. You have taken 127 points of damage.'
'You are engulfed by lightning. You have taken 120 points of damage.'
'You feel your skin freeze over. You have taken 96 points of damage.'
'You are engulfed by lightning. You have taken 34 points of damage.'

Those are the only four spells he cast on me during the fight. I don't know for sure what spells he was casting, but if it was a player he would have Force Shock (179 max) and Frost Shock (187 max) at level 27. So I would guess I had 4 partial resists. Certainly I had not even one outright resist from a mob 23 levels lower than me. I know this is only one fight, so hardly overwhelming evidence. I would be glad to test more, if the GMs have a desire for that sort of thing.

dali_lb
05-01-2010, 05:18 AM
wich means he hits for avg. about 50% on a target 23 lvl's higher. that totally BS if this server is supposed to be classic.

Everything that was +5 lvl's was in classic either direct resist or max 5-10% dmg. Plus a lvl 27 npc Wizard would never cast Force Shock or Frost Shock.

They never had spells from the last 2 player spell lvls, wich means he would most likely been casting Shock of Lightning (12), Fire Shock (16), Pillar of Fire (16) or Project lightning 16).

And Enchanter mobs only rarely used charm spells. Example. Evil Eyes (lvl 20-24 for nameds) usually only casted Tashan (4), Eye of Confusion (8), Choke (12) and Chaotic Feedback (8). The named did cast Rune 1 (12), Sanity warp (16), Quickness (16), Chase the moon (12), Enthrall (16) and rarely Charm (12)
(charm has a lvl 25 cap for PC's).

You could camp Evil Eyes all day long from lvl 20 solo as a mage if you depopped pet on nameds so he wouldn't get charmed without dying a single time, and they usually died in 2-3 casts if you engaged before they made pets

I wouldn't recommend soloing them at the state the server is now at lvl 20.
I started soloing those things on live at lvl 18. Usually people shared the throne in gorge, 1 person, or a small group on each side. only bad thing is all the mino and mudite adds at low lvls.

nilbog
05-01-2010, 01:36 PM
but if any of the DEVS would do a post and at least put a blank message or a period in a post so that we know they have looked at this threadno. we don't have to do this. if there's a 6 page thread in bugs, we didn't miss it.

This particular issue isn't in my realm of fixes, so you guys are still in the same spot. so, as you see, my response didn't help.

eqholmes
05-01-2010, 07:13 PM
The fact that we know you have looked is what makes the difference, and you saying that there isnt a fix at this point is handy. I know now that spending 20k on resist gear was pointless. Thank you for letting us know you have looked at this.

Holmes 50 nerco DA
Gretzky 24 ranger DA

dali_lb
05-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Don't think any of us is expecting this to be fixed over night. At least I personally know it propably isn't just as easy to fix as some may think, but if people would stop ranting too much maybe the dev's would be more willing to share if they know anything more than us, or if their just as bewildered as us about stuff. Know you are doing a great job all, and personly I am impressed that EQEmu even made these servers able to run just at the stage they are in now

Uaellaen
07-01-2010, 12:22 PM
any news?

guineapig
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
any news?

Aye, forgot all about this thread.

mmiles8
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't know if most of the posters in this thread, either weren't there for classic or don't remember, but this is how it was!

Casters blasted people dead in a couple spells regardless of level, meleed like warriors, and resists didn't make all that big of a difference. Just about every complaint in this thread can be matched to a similar one from 10 years ago.

Take a look:

Desert Madman were a tough nut to crack in the old days. Many a player died from them. They used to sneak up on you and as soon as you heard their casting, you knew you were in trouble. They were undercons for sure, but then again, most caster mobs were undercons in the old days. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2460&page=1&howmany=50#msg110993125958536)

We talked our strategy out, knowing that casters are always an undercon ... and these blasted half-elves would land every cast, even with a fire resist buff. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=364&page=1&howmany=50#msg105784992138665)

and rarely Charm (12)
(charm has a lvl 25 cap for PC's).

these guys kicked me and my friend's ass bigtime both druids 27 and 25! he charmed me and made me use my lightning (99DD) and wind spell(122DD!) twice on him. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=155&page=1&howmany=50#msg99808090812516)

I was running through the yard pulling initiates to the ramp when I was Thunderstuck twice for 250+ and then Ignited for 250. I never even saw her and wouldn't have known what hit me except for:

You have been slain by a shadowy sage.
Returning to Bind Point
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT... (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2092&page=1&howmany=50#msg102692007427511)

Casters hit as much as warriors :D (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2092&page=1&howmany=50#msg996810691271)

Caster. It hurts. A LOT. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2092&page=1&howmany=50#msg3108)

didn't see it, but sure as hell felt it. This casts like a festering hag, and took my 41 druid down in 4 blasts. I now have a lvl 40 druid once more (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2086&page=1&howmany=50#msg103827204212018)(

These are standard necro mobs -- beware if they are 34, they hurt twice as much as 33!! These babes cast inspirefear2 (the stun version where you don't run) as well as appropriate necromancers DoT's, and Shock of poison. Though mobs, keep your eye on your group's hp when fighting one, Clerics. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2089&page=1&howmany=50#msg9927861244203)

wich means he hits for avg. about 50% on a target 23 lvl's higher. that totally BS if this server is supposed to be classic.

ouch
Posted: Apr 13 2000
They nuke for alot, a whole lot. as a lvl 27 warrior i was loosing almost a bubble of health each nuke... basically 150pts dd. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=3239&page=1&howmany=50#msg5526)

You want a better example? These guys have decimated my 52 warriors HP. twice, I've accidentally done and uber-train, and I fight it near the zone. I'm usually just fine, until I get one of their aggro. They can nuke like no tomorrow. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2071&page=1&howmany=50#msg100644631361335)

And here's a recent post regarding the underwhelming effect of resists in classic, even today:

Posted: Jul 14 2009

My wife and I just took down vox last night (5/13/09). 52 Monk / Shaman w/ Healer + tank mercs. She didn't complete heal herself. We pulled the entire room, and took down the giants one at a time while they were all beating on the tank merc. Shaman used mana mainly for recasting haste on monk and tank merc. Over 270 cold resist and 265+ magic resist didn't help too much. Was still getting hit with cold blast for 488 dmg. (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=2620&page=1&howmany=50#msg12475673993594137)

-----

I could go on like this until I ran out of casting mobs. I picked the first handful of caster mobs that I could think of, and on every page, you see the same disbelief you see here, except with a decade old timestamp.

Granted they're valid complaints, just as they were back then, but you can't say they aren't true to classic! It's like complaining that the vengeful soloist running around the newbie area of Everfrost is a bug. Does it add a completely unnecessary level of difficulty to the game? Of course it does, and that's one of the defining attributes of Classic EverQuest: Becoming a better player, and overcoming the odds with the help of your friends.

You could kvetch and rage at the devs until they changed it, but then it would just be WoW in an EverQuest Tshirt.

Safon
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
owned

Dantes
07-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Magic resist gear is cheap. ;)

Ropethunder
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
All I have to say is.. thank goodness it's NOT like classic where they could nuke half way across the zone without los and while running.

I really don't think it's necessary to revert this..

Uaellaen
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
so any news now? ... i guess i just ask every month .. what is the issue with resists? dont know how to fix it? not enought evidence that the resist cap has been 255 and not 500 in classic?

Haynar
08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
All I have to say is.. thank goodness it's NOT like classic where they could nuke half way across the zone without los and while running.

I really don't think it's necessary to revert this..
Oh, I forgot about that.

Might need some changes to support that kind of classic behavior.

Thanks,

Haynar

Uaellaen
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
and about the resist cap? need more evidence? or help finding how to fix it?

Eccentricaa
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
What about caster mobs casting while moving? Mobs used to have to stand still while casting. It makes it nearly impossible to get away from a caster, even with sow.