PDA

View Full Version : Bonus XP?

Rogean
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Bonus XP For Server Return

Crone
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
100% votes for 50% for 1 week! Close the poll!! :)

Agaron
04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't even care anymore. Just make Fri come faster. :)

Atennu
04-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Not gonna kill anyone either or. I voted yes and i'm 50 with no chance of playing alts

Omnimorph
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I voted no, but then i don't need incentive to play :p A journey with no hardship is hardly a journey at all :D

FatMagic
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
This would be such a nice help and bonus! Voted yes for week of 50%
But just for the week to get everyone back and going again.

stormlord
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't even care anymore. Just make Fri come faster. :)

Lol.

Isphet
04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

plusses to extra xp:
-encourages the community to play more during that week. More people = more gooderer server.
-more people play lower levels/alts, meaning more activity and grouping opportunities in lower level zones.
-gives newer players a chance to "catch up" a bit to the higher ones. Even well established raid guilds need new recruits to continue to grow and improve.

plusses to no extra xp:
-people are still stoked to have the server come back online. Population will be high enough without it.
-maintains integrity of the server's 'classic' tag.
-no drop off of players after the week long XP orgy.
-doesn't open the pandoras' box of incessant 'we need moar XP bonus weekendzz" on the forums.

I think I'm going to backtrack and instead vote for the xp bonus, even though it's not "classic" as I previously mentioned. What this special bonus is REALLY doing is helping the newer people/lowbies on the server to get a foothold in the community, which is more important to me than rigidly holding on to the nebulous concept of "classic server integrity."

And it never hurts to try something new. If it doesn't work out, then hey, it doesn't. Somehow, I think we'll continue to play on the server, either way. Right?

jilena
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Voting FOR bonus xp chops at least an inch off your epeen.

Just making you all aware of the risks.

Kletus
04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I suppose this is now the official poll and not the thread in the Server Chat section so I'll copypaste my reasoning here =).

Definitely against it. I just started 2 weeks ago and my only character is a level 11 rogue. I didn't come here for EZexp, I came here to enjoy EverQuest Classic. Thanks for getting the servers up and I like this server a lot but if this goes through then I'll be offline for another week as I don't want to cheapen my experience. Sad thing is that all my friends will level up during this time and I won't be able to group with them. Hope this is a bad joke for April.

Beor
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I assume that the Bonus XP is for two reasons. 1) Devs are concerned about the community coming back 2) Devs feel bad about the server being down.

To address both: 1) The community will come back, devs shouldn't be concerned about that. Server was expanding not contracting prior to the it going down. 2) Players aren't angry, they just miss the game. So I'd imagine a huge bump on the first day back.

This is the type of stuff that SOE would pull. If we want to stay away from things that ruined Original EQ, we should stay away from a bonus xp week. We all wanted a classic server, now lets stick with it.

Sorry for the rant, but this is what I hated about SOE.

To add: The poll above shows that the small population of the server that voted is split. Mind you it's a small sample. That's hardly a mandate to change something.

Omnimorph
04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Voting FOR bonus xp chops at least an inch off your epeen.

Just making you all aware of the risks.

Might be nice exp for a week, but imagine how slow it'll comparatively seem afterwards... I had a solb group before the ddos attacks and the exp absolutely flew by. Grouping elsewhere seems comparatively slow now. i imagine it'll be similar with this double exp :p You don't miss what you never had.

Rogean
04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Talked about this internally, since its split between no bonus and 50% 1 week, we're going to just do 25% for 1 Week. That is the final decision.

Mordachai
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
can we close the plethora of threads discussing it then? that would be great!

and for the record, i was happy with whatever decision, just glad the server is back up and thank you all for the work you've done!

ulrich
04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I think it was and is a very kind gesture. I am definitely taking advantage of it.
The majority of people opposed are raiders. I imagine.
If you woulda said 50% xp week and triple the spawn time of raid targets. You would of had 90%++ for it.

Thank you Rogean!!! YOU ROCK! All this work on the server and Transporting it.

jilena
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Sigh don't ruin good drama : (

The majority of people opposed are raiders. I imagine.

I didn't see too many raiders complaining about it. Mostly lots of the same kind of people who think that tedium = challenge and constantly pat themselves on the back with one hand while stroking their epeen with the other. Either way, I am glad it happened so I had lots of posts to troll while trying to stay awake for work shit lol.

Tudana
04-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I would be happy with just the server... you had me at hello.

Daviss34
04-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I think the 25% for a week thing is a good compromise considering how split people were on this. I would have preferred none, but it is more than reasonable to split the difference.

Zithax
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Talked about this internally, since its split between no bonus and 50% 1 week, we're going to just do 25% for 1 Week. That is the final decision.

That is great. To everyone who voted no, it's not about keeping it classic as much as it is celebrating the return. Even EQlive had special events through the years for different things.

I think everyone will enjoy it regardless though. I have two 50s already so it doesn't affect me (although I will roll a new alt in honor of it :)).

Pyrocat
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Bonus exp takes away from the classic mantra this server lives by, and it gives incentive for the hacker to try and take down the server again because it means he caused a somewhat big change to the server by taking it down.

Bones
04-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Woot! Why is it taking so long to get to Friday? *sobs uncontrollably*

You don't have to read them. ;)

xvirus2501
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Wouldnt let me vote, I guess I got here too late. I would have voted 50% exp for 1 week. That would have put it at 26 votes.

Zanti
04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I couldn't vote either:(

L2Phantom
04-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Eh, couldn't vote... 50% +1

Mordachai
04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
You don't have to read them. ;)

I don't read them once they degenerate into pointless drama, because I get plenty of my fill of it on our old Xegony boards (yes we still flame each other).

But they do waste an enormous amount of database space (edit: collectively) on an issue that is already decided... nobody seems to care about that part though, as long as they get to flame Finawin, or atvaata, or whomever else they disagree with at the moment...

*shrug*

Hasbinbad
04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Bonus exp takes away from the classic mantra this server lives by, and it gives incentive for the hacker to try and take down the server again because it means he caused a somewhat big change to the server by taking it down.
This.

Finawin
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
This.

Lol the bitch is probably going to try again regardless of the reason because he didn't get what he wanted. He's still banned. (I fucking hope.)

Bentheb
04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Please stop upsetting Finawin his mom told him next time this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2BVE91LdeA

Happens she is taking away his comp

Mleh
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
0% exp imo. I can play that weekend and I was looking forward to playing with some of my levelling buddies... guess theyll be 50 the next time I log on though !

Heebee
04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Hmmm looks like I'm too late also, but I would have voted: 50% for 1 Week ;)

oldhead
04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I cant vote?

I vote no.

oldhead
04-13-2010, 11:31 PM

would prefer non but small is better.

musufasa
04-13-2010, 11:32 PM
aww looks like it was to close, so they went with the middle ground of 25%

Sadface
04-14-2010, 01:03 AM
I cant vote?

I vote no.

Dude your vote just changed everything. The GM's will now have to reconsider.

Good thing you said your piece bro.

Budah
04-14-2010, 01:56 AM
W(hat) T(he) F(..K)?

Seriously? Changed the decision because 24 people said no? And that was considered 1/2? 50 people total?!? How is that a representation at all?

:( <--- only thing to describe it

Budah
04-14-2010, 02:09 AM
I assume that the Bonus XP is for two reasons. 1) Devs are concerned about the community coming back 2) Devs feel bad about the server being down.

To address both: 1) The community will come back, devs shouldn't be concerned about that. Server was expanding not contracting prior to the it going down. 2) Players aren't angry, they just miss the game. So I'd imagine a huge bump on the first day back.

This is the type of stuff that SOE would pull. If we want to stay away from things that ruined Original EQ, we should stay away from a bonus xp week. We all wanted a classic server, now lets stick with it.

Sorry for the rant, but this is what I hated about SOE.

To add: The poll above shows that the small population of the server that voted is split. Mind you it's a small sample. That's hardly a mandate to change something.

First - doesn't matter why you think the devs were offering it, they didn't say, so don't even bother speculating because that's all it is.

Second - the "classic" argument is crap. There are 100's of things that we encounter on a daily basis in game that aren't "classic".

Third - XP weekends have been used by all major MMO companies. Don't blame SOE - it's a part of marketing.

Fourth - Why look a gift horse in the mouth? It isn't as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. The only reason why I am for it is because to be opposed to it would be to simply be bitching for no reason.

Judgement
04-14-2010, 02:48 AM
The only real reason that this issue has become a point of conjecture at all is because the server is down and no one has anything to do but periodically visit the forums and opine when they would normally be playing.

If the 50% week hadn't been announced during downtime, and instead was instituted as the server was being brought up on Friday, I bet the debate about it would be virtually nil.

For the record, I don't really care whether there is a bonus or not, and I bet the true majority of players both represented and not represented by a forum presence feel the same.

jilena
04-14-2010, 03:28 AM
It provided me with fun stuff to post about yesterday lol. Other than that I am pretty indifferent. I didn't even vote in this poll. I have no issues levelling on this server. EQ grind is pretty tame compared to some newer foreign games.

Beor
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
First - doesn't matter why you think the devs were offering it, they didn't say, so don't even bother speculating because that's all it is.

Anyone with half a brain would agree that one of the two scenarios I proposed are a likely reason for the the EXP increase.

Second - the "classic" argument is crap. There are 100's of things that we encounter on a daily basis in game that aren't "classic".

The name of website is Project 1999. The entire point of this server is to give a version of EQ from 1999. The Devs have made a huge effort to do updates and patches to bring us closer to classic EQ. I understand that tons of things still aren't classic, but why are you okay with ADDing more?
(this isn't directed at DEVs, only at the quoted poster)

Third - XP weekends have been used by all major MMO companies. Don't blame SOE - it's a part of marketing.

I agree with you and that's why many of us are playing on this server and NOT the ones you described above.

Bentheb
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
bah wrong thread

Budah
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Anyone with half a brain would agree that one of the two scenarios I proposed are a likely reason for the the EXP increase.

I have a full brain and I disagree. It COULD be because of all the lag deaths (as others have mentioned). It COULD be a number of things different than the two options you outlined. It is because of this, and no firm explanation from the devs, that it is simply speculation. Attempting to counter-argue on speculated points is a waste of time and gains nothing.

oldhead
04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Dude your vote just changed everything. The GM's will now have to reconsider.

Good thing you said your piece bro.

Glad I could do my part. Bro

odizzido
04-16-2010, 03:06 AM
There is no "It's only a week, it doesn't bother me either way" option so I just wont vote.