PDA

View Full Version : Ranger weapons

Aroith
02-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Curious to what you guys think is better. Woodsman's Staff or two 1 hand weapons like 1:2 damage delay ratios or lets just say lamentation blades. At lvl 20+. Thanks

Rusl
02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Prior to raid upgrades a woodsman's staff was my best dps weapon slightly ahead of a lupine dagger/wurmslayer combo. I never had a chance to parse lower levels with those weapons tho, I assume it would still come out on top.

sbvera13
02-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Definately go with a 2 hander (swarm or woodsman's). The ability to cast your nukes in between sword swings, without losing any swings in the process, will increase your damage more then DW will (at least through most of this era, and up till you can get the epics). Ditto for snare/flame lick and maintaining threat. Really, if you're not using your spells, you should be a rogue instead, and a 2h works with spells much better then DW does.

Aroith
02-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
02-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Also, what really starts to make dual wield shine is the main hand damage bonus, and you won't have enough of that to matter until around level 50. The ratio on two handed weapons is so superior, even without the spell casting benefits, you'd be hard pressed to get a dual wield setup that was better until your damage bonus gets to 8 or 9.

sbvera13
02-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't forget you can self-heal or off-heal between swings as well, not just nukes, which I forgot to mention. This is a great way to make up for your decreased damage mitigation if you're in a tanking position, and helps hold threat as well. I can only imagine it would that much more awesome for pallies, but they don't get out leet dps ;).

Aroith
02-11-2012, 11:19 PM
really so casting a spell doesn't restart melee swing timers?

sbvera13
02-12-2012, 08:40 PM
really so casting a spell doesn't restart melee swing timers?

No. What happens is that weapon swings are put on hold until the casting finishes. The timer keeps running, so that if you come up for a swing during the cast, the timer pauses and the swing will occur the instant the cast finishes. The timer then restarts counting from that swing. So, if you are DWing you will be losing multiple swings during a 2sec cast spell. With careful timing you can easily fit that same spell in between 2h weapon swings and lose nothing.

While under high level haste (item+raid buffs, etc) even a 2h will lose time to a spell, although still not as much. Under raid conditions then, DW may be superior. Since the ranger Epic is DW, I'm almost certain in fact, at least once you get them. Someone with access to that kind of encounter would have to parse the numbers to be sure with other weaps.

Flunklesnarkin
02-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Whats a good starting Bow for a ranger... I already tossed a couple nice weapons i got from seb to my ranger but i need a good bow to get him started as well.

Barkingturtle
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Runed Oak Bow. (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Runed_Oak_Bow)

sbvera13
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Runed oak, trueshot, or raincaller. There's no competition until you get the The Hole or Velious.

For the love of all that is holy don't use the Kunark uzi bows. They might be good ratio, but you will literally be thorwing plat at your mobs.

Flunklesnarkin
02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
What level does Silken Whip of Ensnaring proc?

SirAlvarex
02-25-2012, 06:36 PM
46 or 50. You can check Alla but it isn't till higher levels.

If you do use Woodsman's staff, just make sure you have a couple of 1hs weapons lying around to keep your skills maxed.

Zadrian
02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Didn't really read this thread, but basically what you should do is proc Lupi if possible and switch to 2handed.

Bow dps sucks (unless kiting), but it's nice to get Seb uzi for the stats.

Flunklesnarkin
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Every ranger should have capped archery imo.

as a matter of principle.

Zadrian
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Every ranger should have capped archery imo.

as a matter of principle.

No doubt!

Every ranger should have every weapon skill maxed, including H2H! (not even joking, get this done)

Flunklesnarkin
02-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Archery adds a nice bit of dps on pulls

just most rangers are cheap asses and don't make the good arrows.

sbvera13
03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
At over 1p per shot for the good arrows, one can hardly blame them. I use long range arrows for pulling (field, wood, parabolic, small nock) and use spells to increase damage when kiting.

Flunklesnarkin
03-03-2012, 09:36 PM
not debating its an expensive class to play for max dps

but you want to bring the big dps you gotta spend some xD

although ranged attacks are borked on P99 atm

aggro shouldn't be instantaneous when you click ranged attack.. it should wait for the projectile to reach the target.

normally would be able to get off 2 or 3 shots before you had to root or pull weapons out.

Dlardlar
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Good arrows still hit for 1 DMg and miss fact