PDA

View Full Version : Shaman Epic Skippable parts?

slouth
02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
I did my epic on line in like 2000, and I'm trying to understand what I can and cannot skip, Can anyone explain what is skippable?, by raising faction?

I'm Hoping I can skip that stupid Iskar Tear

Thanks Buku

bizzum
02-14-2012, 05:20 AM
The iksar tear is the last turning, its the only one you cannot skip, unless its possible for you to raise your faction via any of the other quests over and over and then have somebody MQ you the tear to the mob and you loot what he drops.

You can potentially skip any of the steps past the first one, just depending how many times you want (read: need) to do the other ones. Im pretty sure the most popular methods are doing Black Dire or the Rathe Mountains or CoM report parts 10-15 times or however many you need, I wouldn't know. That way you are able to skip most of the CoM parts and also the hole.

You cannot skip the Iksar Tear, unless the above method is what you would consider skipping.

EDIT: Im assuming you need max faction to not only hand in the tear but also hand in the drop off Rak'Ashiir to get your epic.

Loftus
02-26-2012, 02:22 AM
As mentioned above, you can skip most of it since the quest line primarily
serves the purpose of raising TrueSpirit faction.

As far as I know, you MUST have MAXIMUM (read: you turn quests in until you
receive the message "Your faction standing with TrueSpirit could not
possibly get any better.") faction to hand in the scale from Rak'Ashiir
to get the Spear as a reward. Note that Ally apparently does not yet exist
until Velious and Warmly is the highest con you will see.

My recommendation having done this:
1. Kill Black Dire in MM and get his pelt for the self-only, inventory-
castable SOW Black Fur Boots.
2. Spend several levels in COM and just keep looting and repeating the
pages. I would recommend the stables since you can get all pages here,
including Student's Log which only drops from the Courier.
3. Participate in Fear raids; each of the golems have a chance to spawn the
Iksar Broodling and I believe the Broodling always drops one Child's Tear.
4. Once you have the tear and maximum faction, gather some friends for a
few hours of pulling Black Reavers until you get Rak'Ashiir. He's pretty
chump - fight for 12 of us of varying levels from 50-60 took 58 seconds.

Asher
02-26-2012, 03:17 PM

A chance? Didn't they always spawn on the death of a golem?

Asher

Ele
02-27-2012, 12:41 PM
A chance? Didn't they always spawn on the death of a golem?

Asher

They don't here. Some shaman are 15+ golems without an iksar child pop.

Extunarian
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
They don't here. Some shaman are 15+ golems without an iksar child pop.

Wow, I thought I had bad luck with my going 0-for-8.

Plaxiglass
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Can someone tell me what faction you need to turn in the black dire pelt. My faction currently is at amiably. Would I get the black fur boots if I turn it in?

Mayhem2
03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Can someone tell me what faction you need to turn in the black dire pelt. My faction currently is at amiably. Would I get the black fur boots if I turn it in?

Yes.

I did the entire quest line up to the Black Dire. Turned the pelt in with amiable faction, and received the boots.

I then skipped everything else and only did the CoM pages. It took 8 turn in's to completely max my True Spirit faction.

phobus
03-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Ugh. So I've gotten the 6 reports from City of Mist, and was able to get the booklet from the Spirit Sentinel in EJ. I hit combine, handed in my Completed Report, and got:

Spirit Sentinel says, 'This is a sad day. You have failed and strayed from the path set before you. Please try to live as close to the spirits as you are able, though this is the closest you will ever get.'

What did I do wrong? Is it possible my faction was high enough to get the booklet, but not to do the turn-in? I'm two or three turn-ins into amiable (repeated step 1 several times, then did the Woe/Envy/Marr's Promise turn-in).

phobus
04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I farmed my faction up to kindly, and successfully turned in the completed booklet yesterday! So it is possible to skip the black dire step, if anyone was wondering. That brought me up to warmly.

strosz
04-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the follow up phobus. I am at exactly the same step, and I too got the 'It's a sad day' response from the Spirit Sentinel in EJ upon turning in the finished reports.

Who do you con do see the True Spirit faction? And how much did you have to farm to get it to kindly?

When I con the Spirit Sentinel I get indifferent and when I con the Wandering Spirit I get amiable. I guess it's the Spirit Sentinel that's the right one.. guess I'll have to do the woe/envy turnin a few times.

phobus
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
It's my understanding that all of the quest mobs are on TrueSpirit, so you should get the same con from all of them. Bondl and all of the spirits have followed that trend for me. Maybe you were invis when you conned the Spirit Sentinel? If so, did you click off invis before opening trade? I don't think I did, and while it shouldn't make a difference (opening trade removes invisibility) I can't help but wonder.

After reaching amiable, I turned in my gem from the wandering spirit in WK (which probably gave a small bump in faction) and then tried turning in the book. After that failed, from my logs it looks like I repeated the Woe/Envy/Marr's Promise 7 more times to get to kindly.

After that, I repeated the step 1 turn-in to Bondl in Freeport again (I think I killed Blinde the Cutpurse in RM while farming there), turned in the gem I got from the wandering spirit, then finally turned in my completed report, and that brought me to warmly.

Farming that step isn't so bad, though. Glaron and Tabien are on a 2-hour spawn time, so just bind yourself at Glaron's spawn point. Gate back after each turn in, summon a pet, and go do something else for a while.

strosz
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Ah, that's really good information. I just repeated the Woe/Envy/Marr step three times and it bumped my TrueSpirit faction to kindly. Have repeated a few earlier steps a couple times though so that's perhaps why I didn't require as many repeats as you. Was thinking of grabbing the gem from Rathe to turn it in in Freeport again, but forgot. I hope just over kindly will do though.

Going to head to Emerald Jungle again and do the reports. This time I hope the Spirit Sentinel won't chew them up hehe. Yeah, I hope the invis thing didn't affect it - but I'm pretty sure I clicked off invis before turning it it, even if I might have conned it while invis. Good to keep in mind.

To repeat the City of Mist reports at my level (50) seems like an efficient way of doing the epic while getting exp at the same time. Even if most entry mobs in CoM is light blue, they give pretty good exp. There's also the chance of grouping for tougher mobs and doing the Old Sebilis key quest while in the area. That way you can even do the reports while waiting for OS groups.

strosz
04-15-2012, 07:03 AM
An update. As long as the TrueSpirit spirits con kindly, it will allow you to turn in the reports. It doesn't matter how far into kindly. Also be sure to click off invis when dealing with the spirits just to be safe. I have since repeated the reports three times, on my fourth right now. Two turnins was enough to bump the faction from kindly to warmly.

If you look at the faction page (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Faction) at the wiki, we can guess that a report turnin will yield about 200 faction points according to the left row of faction numbers. That should mean that it only requires two turnins to maximize the faction when you hit warmly, and that the fourth turnin would make it say 'your faction standing with TrueSpirit could not possible get any better'. The numbers do not seem to be accurate though, as I still have not maximized the faction after seven turnins. The eight one should be the last.

Anyway, to repeat the City of Mist reports is without a doubt the easiest way to do the epic. I can manage a completed book report every 1-2 hours or so depending on luck. That is while gettin surprisingly good exp from City of Mist mobs, even if they con light blue. There's also five dark blue golems at the temple close to the entrance. They are easy to single pull and will give very good exp.

So in recap. Here's the easiest and quickest way to do the shaman epic...
- Begin with doing the first parts of the epic quest, including the test of patience to become amiable with TrueSpirit. This will just take a few hours.
- When you're amiable you can repeat the woe/envy/marr step about five times to get the faction to kindly.
- As soon as it hits kindly, move to Emerald Jungle and ask the spirit for the report container. Then do the reports seven, or possibly eight times until it will say that the faction can't get any better.
- When you've completed all this, you just have the final steps left that cannot be skipped.
- Either get into a good guild that can raid Plane of Fear, or sit in the SW(?) corner waiting for such a raid and hope that there is not any shaman along that needs the Child's Tear. Sometimes several can drop during the same raid occasion, so there's always a chance if there's a raid going on there. This step will take some time to finish.
- Head back to City of Mist with a very powerful group, or a small raid. Preferably with at least two high level mages and clerics. Then kill Black Reavers, wait til Rak'Ashiir spawn out of a slain Black Reaver. Give the tear to Rak' and prepare to die. Now you hope that your assembled group will take him down. I've heard that he can be nasty.
- Loot the Iksar Scale from Rak' and head to the northern spirit in EJ, do the dialogue, turnin the scale and there you got it. The Spear of Fate.

I think this is pretty accurate, but please add in this thread if you come across any step that's wrong or can be improved. Good luck all prospecting shamans :)

Edit
I've now done the City of Mist book turnin 7 times, and I'm still not at my best with the faction. So the faction information above is not entirely accurate. Will follow up with how many turnins' it was in the end.

phobus
04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Going back over my logs after maxing my faction yesterday, it looks like after my faction bumped up to warmly, it took six completed report turn-ins to get to max.

The best explanation I can think of is that the earlier work I had done caused me to be at a slightly higher total faction than yours when it crossed the threshold to warmly, and that you're very close. That, or maybe the EQ gods took pity on me for my first report getting eaten. :)

kungfugeek
07-04-2012, 10:06 AM
An update. As long as the TrueSpirit spirits con kindly, it will allow you to turn in the reports. It doesn't matter how far into kindly. Also be sure to click off invis when dealing with the spirits just to be safe. I have since repeated the reports three times, on my fourth right now. Two turnins was enough to bump the faction from kindly to warmly.

If you look at the faction page (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Faction) at the wiki, we can guess that a report turnin will yield about 200 faction points according to the left row of faction numbers. That should mean that it only requires two turnins to maximize the faction when you hit warmly, and that the fourth turnin would make it say 'your faction standing with TrueSpirit could not possible get any better'. The numbers do not seem to be accurate though, as I still have not maximized the faction after seven turnins. The eight one should be the last.

Anyway, to repeat the City of Mist reports is without a doubt the easiest way to do the epic. I can manage a completed book report every 1-2 hours or so depending on luck. That is while gettin surprisingly good exp from City of Mist mobs, even if they con light blue. There's also five dark blue golems at the temple close to the entrance. They are easy to single pull and will give very good exp.

So in recap. Here's the easiest and quickest way to do the shaman epic...
- Begin with doing the first parts of the epic quest, including the test of patience to become amiable with TrueSpirit. This will just take a few hours.
- When you're amiable you can repeat the woe/envy/marr step about five times to get the faction to kindly.
- As soon as it hits kindly, move to Emerald Jungle and ask the spirit for the report container. Then do the reports seven, or possibly eight times until it will say that the faction can't get any better.
- When you've completed all this, you just have the final steps left that cannot be skipped.
- Either get into a good guild that can raid Plane of Fear, or sit in the SW(?) corner waiting for such a raid and hope that there is not any shaman along that needs the Child's Tear. Sometimes several can drop during the same raid occasion, so there's always a chance if there's a raid going on there. This step will take some time to finish.
- Head back to City of Mist with a very powerful group, or a small raid. Preferably with at least two high level mages and clerics. Then kill Black Reavers, wait til Rak'Ashiir spawn out of a slain Black Reaver. Give the tear to Rak' and prepare to die. Now you hope that your assembled group will take him down. I've heard that he can be nasty.
- Loot the Iksar Scale from Rak' and head to the northern spirit in EJ, do the dialogue, turnin the scale and there you got it. The Spear of Fate.

I think this is pretty accurate, but please add in this thread if you come across any step that's wrong or can be improved. Good luck all prospecting shamans :)

Edit
I've now done the City of Mist book turnin 7 times, and I'm still not at my best with the faction. So the faction information above is not entirely accurate. Will follow up with how many turnins' it was in the end.

What lvl do I need to be before I can solo the CoM reports part?

phobus
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
What lvl do I need to be before I can solo the CoM reports part?

You can start soloing in CoM at 39 (I was doing the golems at the bridge, and the occasional undead pull from the ledges on either side at that level). That will give you a chance for every report except the Student's Log, which only drops from the Spectral Courier in the stables. Of course, these drop often enough that as long as you're in the zone you can collect reports from other people, too.

CanadianTSi
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Just thought I would add that you can Max Faction with approximately 40-50 turn ins (I wasn't counting) to Bondl. Considering you can do about 10 an hour means roughly 5 hours to Max faction. It did cost me a small fortune in ports but what can you do :)

mgellan
09-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I did about 40 turnins to Bondl (pretty easy bound at the pots, about 5 mins ea) and about 12 SK/Pally kills (bottleneck here was respawn on mobs) to get to max ally after doing the quest up to the CoM reports. You can get most reports just by hanging out at the stables and asking the group there to let you loot any reports they don't want, or /ooc'ing to the zone. I was actually too high at 51 for the camp so I just buffed and healed til I got the reports.

You really want to do the Black Dire part of the question because the Black Fur Boots are totally awesome!

Regards,
Mg

godbox
09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
black fur boots > gebs imo

Darian
10-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Just got my faction from indifferent to Kindly doing the following:

2x Bondl turnin
1x Test of Stupid Goddamn Ocean Sitting
5 or 6x Glaron/Tobian kill turnins

Thanks Phobus for the intel. Off to CoM we go!

Muchew
10-20-2012, 11:16 AM
me dumb

Darian
10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Just got my faction from indifferent to Kindly doing the following:

2x Bondl turnin
1x Test of Stupid Goddamn Ocean Sitting
5 or 6x Glaron/Tobian kill turnins

Thanks Phobus for the intel. Off to CoM we go!

Up to Warmly after 1 Bondl turnin, 1 report turnin and 2 Glaron/Tobian turnins. Any idea how long it takes to go from warmly to max?

Khaedyn
12-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Hey all quick question - I got my faction up to kindly doing the quest line up to the black dire step, and then doing the woe/envy/shield turn in about 5-6 times. I got out to EJ and hailed the spirit sentinel, and he ignored me until i turned the stone into him to start the black dire step. Midway through the conversation I was attacked and forced to zone into CoM to drop aggro. I got back out there and now the sentinel is completely ignoring me, wont respond to any hails or quest prompts I say to him. Any ideas as to how to proceed?

Swish
12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey all quick question - I got my faction up to kindly doing the quest line up to the black dire step, and then doing the woe/envy/shield turn in about 5-6 times. I got out to EJ and hailed the spirit sentinel, and he ignored me until i turned the stone into him to start the black dire step. Midway through the conversation I was attacked and forced to zone into CoM to drop aggro. I got back out there and now the sentinel is completely ignoring me, wont respond to any hails or quest prompts I say to him. Any ideas as to how to proceed?

You can still do the page hand-ins (CoM random drops) to reach max faction? I hope so at least. Not sure if a petition would get you anywhere but might be worth a go at it.

Growlers
12-21-2012, 12:43 AM

Make sure you are not inv, just saying:) happened to me lol

Growlers
12-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Also you might need to be warmly at this point,can't remember. I just did CoM pages a few times and that got me to warmly.

Lamil
01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
So I have a question about these faction turn ins. Are we able to just turn them in without handing in the requisite gem?

Lazaraak 45 iksar Shaman

Khaedyn
01-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Lamil - Yeah when your faction is high enough to get (and turn in the book) just repeat the phrase to spawn the book and the npc will give you a new one, so when in CoM complete one, then get all the pages again before a turn in so you can do two at once.

Lamil
01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Awesome thanks. I'm at the test of patience part. At 45 should I be able to solo it?

Extunarian
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Awesome thanks. I'm at the test of patience part. At 45 should I be able to solo it?

The test of patience doesn't require killing anything.

The next test (wisdom) is probably soloable at 45. The mobs are around mid-30 in level.

You will need a fair amount of help for the black dire step (test of might). Your spells won't land on it, and you really should get a proper tank/cleric in their 50s, and some DPS.

At level 45 you will have difficulty soloing the sheer number of mobs in CoM it will take to do several completed reports (took me 8 or 9 turn-ins to max faction). However you're at the perfect level to join XP groups and just collect them as you level. It's so much nicer to do that part in the proper level range instead of grinding them out at level 60 :P

From there you'll need to be 46 to get into fear and loot a childs tear, or buy an MQ.

You will need a great deal of help for Reavers/Rak'Ashiir. For most people it's a 2-3 group endeavor.

PM me if you need specifics on any of these steps.

Lamil
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Yea I already killed the guys in the Rathe Mtns and have one set of pages from CoM. I think I'm going to skip the Fur boots part as I just don't know enough people to be able to do it. I was mostly worried about dying from random mobs while waiting during the test of patience.

Lamil
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
If I wanted to do the Fur boots part whats the best way to go about finding help? Do you think /ooc'ing in EC would get me responses? Pretty much everyone I used to play with a year ago is gone so it's like starting over at a new school meeting people.

Lazaraak 45 iksar shaman

Varrin
01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Doing an ooc in EC will only help slightly, as the mob doesn't drop anything other than the boots, so it would have to be people who are bored and willing to just help out a random person. Also, you have to camp the Advisor and kill it for the BD to spawn, and advisor is a 4 hour spawn. So you really need to have a few people to a group that are willing to travel to MM, and then sit and wait for the spawning of the advisor, or else RL stuff or boredom will take them away.

The good news with the shaman epic is that since it is faction based, you can continue to level and get faction until you are max, and before you turn in the final piece in EJ then you can do black dire, and maybe have a few friends along the way that you've met who could help.

Good luck, the epic is worth the grind!

Lamil
01-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Yea that's what I was worried about. Just trying to get my faction up so I can start doing page turn ins while in CoM. Appreciate all the help

fohkure
01-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Yea that's what I was worried about. Just trying to get my faction up so I can start doing page turn ins while in CoM. Appreciate all the help

I wouldn't spend too much time on your epic if I was you. I would grind out to at least 50+, then mess with your epic when you can't find a group. At 58, I duo'd the black dire with a 60 shaman and can easily solo stables in CoM on my down time.

At 45, you are going to waste a lot of time that could be better spent grinding. Just my $.02!

Chris

Lamil
01-19-2013, 04:05 PM
I've been working on it when I can't find a group. Seems harder lately but I get what you men

mirks
02-05-2013, 03:07 AM
For anyone interested in doing bondl turnins to kindly, It took me exactly 21 bondls and 1 woe/envy/marr to go from nothing to kindly.

mirks
02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
For anyone interested in doing bondl turnins to kindly, It took me exactly 21 bondls and 1 woe/envy/marr to go from nothing to kindly.

And from kindly I got max faction notification on the 8th CoM turnin.

Lamil
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Cool thanks for the heads up. Did you do woe/envy turn ins more than once?

mirks
02-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Cool thanks for the heads up. Did you do woe/envy turn ins more than once?

21 bondls and 1 woe/envy

Lamil
02-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks. I think I'm going to actually do the boots so that should help my faction get up to do the last turn ins. We shall see if I can manage to get a stupid tear though

Wipo
09-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone know if its possible to MQ Child Tear with a bard that would be Kindly or maybe even Warmly but not MAX faction and playing Cinda's Charismatic Carillon (improve faction song). Does it bring him to MAX faction, so he can make the turn-in to MQ the tear ?

Song should bring him up for about +600 faction but i'm still not sure a song can bring you to MAX ...

raka
09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
As mentioned above, you can skip most of it since the quest line primarily
serves the purpose of raising TrueSpirit faction.

As far as I know, you MUST have MAXIMUM (read: you turn quests in until you
receive the message "Your faction standing with TrueSpirit could not
possibly get any better.") faction to hand in the scale from Rak'Ashiir
to get the Spear as a reward. Note that Ally apparently does not yet exist
until Velious and Warmly is the highest con you will see.

My recommendation having done this:
1. Kill Black Dire in MM and get his pelt for the self-only, inventory-
castable SOW Black Fur Boots.
2. Spend several levels in COM and just keep looting and repeating the
pages. I would recommend the stables since you can get all pages here,
including Student's Log which only drops from the Courier.
4. Once you have the tear and maximum faction, gather some friends for a
few hours of pulling Black Reavers until you get Rak'Ashiir. He's pretty
chump - fight for 12 of us of varying levels from 50-60 took 58 seconds.

what faction do I need to be at in order to receive black fur boots?

also,

is test of patience, wisdom mandatory? or can they be skipped

Vicatin
10-22-2013, 09:54 PM
what faction do I need to be at in order to receive black fur boots?

also,

is test of patience, wisdom mandatory? or can they be skipped

Bumping this because i would like to also know what faction is required for boots.

Seducio
11-01-2013, 04:31 PM
True Spirit faction goes back to indifferent upon completing the Epic.

What this means is that a Shaman should definitely prepare to kill Black Dire for the turn in for Black Fur Boots before killing Rak in CoM, the final battle before the Iksar Scale turn in.

Wipo
11-03-2013, 09:23 AM
I would also like to know if there is any faction require to get boots. From what people are saying you can't do it at indifferent. But do you need to be Amiably , Kindly or more then this ?

DrKvothe
11-03-2013, 02:35 PM
I just got my pelt today. Previously I had done the woe/envy turnin once after getting faction high enough from bondl turnins. I went to EJ, turned in gem from woe/envy, and got a "sorry, not high enough!" message.

Did another woe/envy turn in, but spirit disappeared before I could ask for the gem. That one got me to amiably though. Gonna do one more woe/envy, then turn in gem and then pelt.

DrKvothe
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Did another woe/envy turnin, then turned in gem. The wolf in EJ gave me the conversation for black dire, so i took the plunge and handed him my pelt. I was rewarded with the boots for my effort, and he gave me the CoM book when I asked for it.

Very happy day =D

Edit: To reiterate: after becoming eligible for woe/envy turnins from the bare minimum of brondl turnins, I turned in 3 sets of envy/woe/marr, then turned in the resulting gem once in EJ, then turned in pelt, then got CoM book.

DrKvothe
11-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Little update: even though i'd gotten the boots, turned in filled CoM book in EJ and got a failure. So...yeah.

Zeonick
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Ugh... 5-6 woe turn ins just to be able to turn in the com books? Damn, thats at a minimum 10-12 hours of gameplay, and I get around 3 hours to play each week... I think I may need to wait on my epic for for awhile.

That.. Or would binding at the pots and doing bondl turn ins be faster? Seems like woe is the slowest way to do it with all that running and 2 hour respawns.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-04-2013, 10:36 PM
The problem with breaking this quest into smaller pieces is that you've essentially called into question what your faction actually is. I know - I did just that and failed on a number of turn ins costing me extra plat and time for ports and running.

If I could redo it over again I would complete the epic up to and including the dire wolf pelt (that includes NOT doing multiple Bondle/woe,envy,marr turn ins etc...). Complete the wolf turn in then repeat any step you wish until max faction. This ensures that you've passed any uncertainty about where you need to be. There is no way to tell whether you're low amiable/high amiable or anywhere else on the spectrum so your best guarantee is to just 0 off the faction and go from there.

My 2cp

Zeonick
11-04-2013, 11:58 PM
The problem with breaking this quest into smaller pieces is that you've essentially called into question what your faction actually is. I know - I did just that and failed on a number of turn ins costing me extra plat and time for ports and running.

If I could redo it over again I would complete the epic up to and including the dire wolf pelt (that includes NOT doing multiple Bondle/woe,envy,marr turn ins etc...). Complete the wolf turn in then repeat any step you wish until max faction. This ensures that you've passed any uncertainty about where you need to be. There is no way to tell whether you're low amiable/high amiable or anywhere else on the spectrum so your best guarantee is to just 0 off the faction and go from there.

My 2cp

So there is no faction requirement to do the wolf turn in? It only starts at the pages that you have to worry about whether or not you have enough faction? Sorry for all the questions man! You're so helpful though!

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-05-2013, 12:24 AM
So there is no faction requirement to do the wolf turn in? It only starts at the pages that you have to worry about whether or not you have enough faction? Sorry for all the questions man! You're so helpful though!

Haha thanks mang!

I should have clarified before - proper faction is required for every step of the epic (with the exception of Bondl since he is the start point for the epic). When you complete each step in the epic it gives you enough of a faction boost to either activate dialogue or the ability to turn in your reward from the previous step (ex: handing in gems from previous steps to the next quest NPC). AFAIK it will not let you leap frog beyond that point by virtue of having insufficient faction to hand in/start new dialogue.

The only points where this really matters are when you receive an item of value (say.... Shield of Falsehood or Black Fur Boots, Epic). At any other point all you're doing is padding your faction to progress through the story. While the story may be immersive you may have a problem mobilizing groups of people literally in the corners of Norrath (hole, com).

Tl;dr I was suggesting doing your epic to the point where you can collect the best item (see: black fur boots), after that it's like a large gap until maxed as there are no items of value you can unlock till the final fight that will net you cash or slot upgrades. Doing it properly to the boots is a guarantee you will have sufficient faction for pelt turn in and subsequent book dialogue.

Sorry if I've worded it poorly - I post using my BlackBerry

Zeonick
11-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Oooooh ok cool. I have done all the way through the test of patience now (got my shield of falsehood) so I should be ok to kill the old dire wolf and turn in his pelt right? And then I just need faction to be able to TURN IN the pages?

Zeonick
11-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Ugh... 5-6 woe turn ins just to be able to turn in the com books? Damn, thats at a minimum 10-12 hours of gameplay, and I get around 3 hours to play each week... I think I may need to wait on my epic for for awhile.

That.. Or would binding at the pots and doing bondl turn ins be faster? Seems like woe is the slowest way to do it with all that running and 2 hour respawns.

And ive just researched this second option a bit and its supposedly impossible to bind at the pots anymore.

DrKvothe
11-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Just a heads up, the total time to port to NK, kill the two guys in rathe mountains and turn in at WK is only like 20-30 min tops. So whatever you're doing, whenever you need a break just grab a port to NK, vendor at druids or centaurs or aviaks, do envy/woe/marr, then gate back to wherever you were hunting. If you spread it out across multiple play sessions, no need to twiddle your thumbs.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-05-2013, 09:38 AM
And ive just researched this second option a bit and its supposedly impossible to bind at the pots anymore.

If you want to repeat the Bondl stage until maxed or until you've reached an arbitrary faction point then bind yourself next to Bondl and have a druid port you every 6 mins to BB. If you time iit right you can also squeeze in Rathe Mountains and NK in there.

I hired druids for mine since I heard collecting pages from minimum CoM book turn in to max faction can take 12 or more hours. Far more time than wi was willing to spend somewhere I'm not either making money or getting xp.

DrKvothe
11-05-2013, 01:50 PM
That's a great reason to get your rep up high enough to do CoM turnins by 44 or so at the latest. Been in CoM since I hit 46, and I'm now halfway to 48. I've filled 2 books (including the wasted one I mentioned previously), and have another mostly filled. Cash and exp are solid, and when I couldn't get into stables group they let me loot a student page rot anways.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
That's a great reason to get your rep up high enough to do CoM turnins by 44 or so at the latest. Been in CoM since I hit 46, and I'm now halfway to 48. I've filled 2 books (including the wasted one I mentioned previously), and have another mostly filled. Cash and exp are solid, and when I couldn't get into stables group they let me loot a student page rot anways.

I was warned to do that as well and instead opted for duoing (though I still enjoyed myself) outside KC till like 51.

12 hours of grinding epic faction versus 3 if you choose to do CoM books seems like a fairly poor choice in hindsight.

Zeonick
11-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I was warned to do that as well and instead opted for duoing (though I still enjoyed myself) outside KC till like 51.

12 hours of grinding epic faction versus 3 if you choose to do CoM books seems like a fairly poor choice in hindsight.

Yeah i'm going to suck it up and just get my faction up high enough. I like grouping in CoM and i'm at the perfect level. I could max my faction while leveling towards 50.. sounds like the smart choice.

I did a few bondls last night with a druid, but it gets pricey.. I usually tip 30-40pp per port so it added up fast. I should just make some more money making sow pots I guess.

Also as far as he woe/envy taking 20-30 mins, yeah I guess I could see that. The only thing that really held me up was finding the wandering spirit every time. I would just stand at the loc listed on wiki and wait for it to stroll by. Is there a better option?

Zeonick
11-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Here's an update, I started doing woe/envy over and over and just bound in RM by the paladin for quick gates. I did the turn in a total of 4 times including my initial turn in for the story line and I am now at kindly when I con the spirit.

Does this mean I have high enough faction now to turn in a set of CoM papers? I still have to do the black dire part also but I'm not sure if I will be able to get a kill team for that or not, but if I can get going on turning in CoM papers in the mean time that would be awesome!

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah i'm going to suck it up and just get my faction up high enough. I like grouping in CoM and i'm at the perfect level. I could max my faction while leveling towards 50.. sounds like the smart choice.

I did a few bondls last night with a druid, but it gets pricey.. I usually tip 30-40pp per port so it added up fast. I should just make some more money making sow pots I guess.

Also as far as he woe/envy taking 20-30 mins, yeah I guess I could see that. The only thing that really held me up was finding the wandering spirit every time. I would just stand at the loc listed on wiki and wait for it to stroll by. Is there a better option?

He very frequently wisps by that spot and is large enough to be seen from quite far away. Shouldn't really have a hard time finding him as the wiki suggests.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Here's an update, I started doing woe/envy over and over and just bound in RM by the paladin for quick gates. I did the turn in a total of 4 times including my initial turn in for the story line and I am now at kindly when I con the spirit.

Does this mean I have high enough faction now to turn in a set of CoM papers? I still have to do the black dire part also but I'm not sure if I will be able to get a kill team for that or not, but if I can get going on turning in CoM papers in the mean time that would be awesome!

Yes - I believe the faction to activate the book dialogue (and therefore the page turn ins) is somewhere in the amiable range so you've likely surpassed it at kindly. The black dire part is directly before the CoM part and so by extension you should have faction for that as well.

Good luck with your black dire kill.

Zeonick
11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Yes - I believe the faction to activate the book dialogue (and therefore the page turn ins) is somewhere in the amiable range so you've likely surpassed it at kindly. The black dire part is directly before the CoM part and so by extension you should have faction for that as well.

Good luck with your black dire kill.

Thanks yum! Oh wait.. Do I HAVE to do the dire part first before I can turn in the pages?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks yum! Oh wait.. Do I HAVE to do the dire part first before I can turn in the pages?

Nope - if you were doing it in the correct order you would have needed to do the dire turn-in in order to get the appropriate faction to continue the quest dialogue. Since you've surpassed the minimum faction for this portion of the quest you are free to turn in at will.

Don't mess up which quest NPC you turn in to in EJ.

Zeonick
11-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Nope - if you were doing it in the correct order you would have needed to do the dire turn-in in order to get the appropriate faction to continue the quest dialogue. Since you've surpassed the minimum faction for this portion of the quest you are free to turn in at will.

Don't mess up which quest NPC you turn in to in EJ.

Awesome, thank you. I dont know why this has been so confusing for me..

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Awesome, thank you. I dont know why this has been so confusing for me..

It's not really intuitive from a quest perspective. To really understand it you kind of need to use numbers to quantify it:

Say for instance that Truespirit faction starts at indifferent or 0 and that you have to get max faction by the end of it, say 2000. By performing each step in its proper order gives you a scenario that looks like his:
- Kill Peg Leg and receive gem --> turn in gem to bondl and receive 20 faction. Faction required for Bondl turn in: 0.
- Complete dialogue upstairs in Jade Inn with Spirit --> receive new gem. Faction requied to initiate proper dialogue with Jade Inn Spirit: 20.
- Turn in gem from spirit to Oogyla (sp?) in Eruds --> receive 50 faction. Faction required for gem turn in to Oogyla: 20.
- Continue test of patience --> receive new gem from Abe The Abandoned. Faction required to initiate proper dialogue with Abe: 70.

Basically this trend continues for the length of the quest granting you access to the next step by virtue of your new improved Truespirit faction as a reward for successful completion of the previous step.

The reason I've been saying to zero off your faction by completing the Epic quest properly to the boots is that your are probably required to have some unverifiable amount of experience to do the boot turn in. If, using the example above, we establish somehow that the minimum faction for the boot turn-in is 750 and the wording of the consider function is amiable faction there would be no way for you to establish where you are On that scale. You may con amiable to the spirit but amiable might have a range of 500-1000 meaning there is a good chance you fall short. Doing the quest the proper way up to that point eliminates the guesswork because the quest is designed to allow progression after successful completion of the last step.

TL;DR: if you did the quest out of order and you're unsure, so it properly OR exceed the faction for that particular point of the quest.

EDIT: just got new phone so this message is probably littered with spelling mistakes.

DrKvothe
11-11-2013, 12:07 PM
An example of what yumyums is talking about is my experience with EJ book. I had enough faction to receive the empty book at the start of the quest, but not enough to turn in the filled book. This sort of problem shouldn't happen if you complete the quest linearly.

However, you may find it worth your while to repeat certain steps, perhaps because they're convenient. If you're killing giants in rathe mountains, why not check to see if the good/evil guys are up? Additionally, while the black fur boots are super nice, there's no reason you can't do them after you start doing EJ book turnins. You'll still get the faction boost from them.

phobus
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
An example of what yumyums is talking about is my experience with EJ book. I had enough faction to receive the empty book at the start of the quest, but not enough to turn in the filled book. This sort of problem shouldn't happen if you complete the quest linearly.

I went through the same thing (see the first page of this thread).

Zeonick
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I went through the same thing (see the first page of this thread).

Yeah I read through this entire post trying to get all the information I needed. Some things were still just confusing me though. I got to kindly faction and went to turn in the set of pages I have in the bank.. and it worked! It instantly bumped me to warmly faction also. As a note, I have NOT done the dire wolf part yet. Just did bondl 3 times and woe/envy 4 times, and then the pages once.

Time to max it out while leveling in CoM!

thieros
12-03-2013, 10:25 AM
just thought id chip in my experience:

21 Bondl Turnins: base faction to kindly (2-3 hours)
1 CoM Complete reports: Kindly
1 Ghiosk diaries Turn in: Warmly
4 CoM Complete Reports: Warmly
1 CoM Report: Max Faction

All said and done, took a few days to grind the CoM portion as im unable to solo on shaman in CoM yet so was only available for leaching (which was highly contested by other shamans in zone at the time, though we were all quite civil and shared with one another)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-03-2013, 11:58 AM
just thought id chip in my experience:

21 Bondl Turnins: base faction to kindly (2-3 hours)
1 CoM Complete reports: Kindly
4 CoM Complete Reports: Warmly
1 CoM Report: Max Faction

All said and done, took a few days to grind the CoM portion as im unable to solo on shaman in CoM yet so was only available for leaching (which was highly contested by other shamans in zone at the time, though we were all quite civil and shared with one another)

This is a great post and super helpful to those who combo Bondl + other turnins (the way most people do it). Awesome jorb!

blondeattk
12-04-2013, 12:44 AM
what faction i need to get shield off wandering spirit?

NOt sure i can solo the test of patience at 40. (dem sharks) I am assuming the killer shark see through `Invis vs animals` ? although it does pop up wheni cast sense animals.....so it might work fine, am just going off wiki entry.....

and asking someone to babysit me for 40mins underwater, is kinda cringey.

(i own a strathbone shell shield, so epic shield isnt much upgrade, just looks funky)

username17
12-04-2013, 03:14 AM
I did the kerra isle epic part at 40 and didn't aggro a single shark.

IIRC they were all green to me.

Sinadin
12-04-2013, 05:48 AM
just follow the questline up to Black Dire (you want the boots anyway) - after that repeat the COM pages 7 times and voila, faction is maxed.

username17
12-04-2013, 06:58 AM
just follow the questline up to Black Dire (you want the boots anyway) - after that repeat the COM pages 7 times and voila, faction is maxed.

This is exactly what I did. It worked out fine.

I started in CoM at 39 and was max faction by 44.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-04-2013, 11:41 AM
I did the kerra isle epic part at 40 and didn't aggro a single shark.

IIRC they were all green to me.

This.

I think it roams fairly far away from you. Really, the worst case scenario is that you can just malaise/root at 40 and keep rooted indefinitely if you don't want to fight.

This is also the perfect time to swim in super tight circles around the NPC spawn point to skill up swim (if you're not already maxed).

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-04-2013, 11:43 AM

And this too.

Don't be a Yumyums - work on your faction while you xp otherwise you're going to regret spending multiple sessions grinding faction without getting xp.

Duggin
12-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Anyone have a rough estimate on A turn in on Lord G's 3 book set? Just looted a rotting set last night, and warmly con should be good enough for the turn in?

Also anyone selling a tear MQ? :) ( With fight )

Oogei
02-05-2014, 09:02 AM
gunna semi necro this thread up, anyway, ... question, all of the parts of this quest are skippable up to black dire pelt turn in for black fur boots? or am i reading it wrong