PDA

View Full Version : Warrior - Paladin - Shadow Knight

Within99
02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Since the -Tanks- forum is practically bone dry maybe people with some knowledge of our tanks could inform newcomers on what a good beginning and end game choice for tanking would be.

Here's some basic info.

-Warrior-
10% exp bonus-

Offensive and Defensive Disciplines-

Additional Level
abilities- obtained-

Bash 6
Dodge 6
Parry 10
Duel Wield 13
Double Attack 15
Riposte 25
Disarm 35

-Paladin-
40% exp reduction-

Beginning at level 9 they get Cleric-based spells-

Lay on Hands, single target instant heal-

Additional Level
abilities- obtained-

Bash 6
Dodge 10
Parry 17
Double Attack 20
Riposte 30
Disarm 40

-Shadow Knight-
40% exp reduction-

The solo Tank/Hybrid-

Beginning at level 9 they get Necromancer-based spells-

Harm Touch, single target instant DD-

Additional Level
abilities- obtained-

Bash 6
Dodge 10
Parry 17
Double Attack 20
Riposte 30
Disarm 40

If anyone knows some end-game raid info on the efficiency of these classes please don't hesitate to post.

izule
02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Idk about end game but I know pros for tanking
The pally as said has cleric spells ,at 49 they get Rez and extra heals can help a ton at spots ,i think at 59 they get full exp Rez .. And un dead dds as they lvl helps
Sk biggest con. They get feign death. As a spell but makes for a good puller

Grozmok
02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't know about on p99 but Shadow Knights can hold aggro better than Paladins due to threat created by Disease Cloud. Once that gets nerfed (Velious?) though, all bets are off.

IMO LoH is very powerful, HT is just mediocre and FD can be godlike.

You don't get FD until 30 though, so take that FWIW

Kender
02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know about on p99 but Shadow Knights can hold aggro better than Paladins due to threat created by Disease Cloud. Once that gets nerfed (Velious?) though, all bets are off.

IMO LoH is very powerful, HT is just mediocre and FD can be godlike.

You don't get FD until 30 though, so take that FWIW

LoH saves many an ass whipping

Grozmok
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
LoH saves many an ass whipping

Absolutely.

I think the real benefit besides saving the player a corpse run and exp loss, is the reduced downtime. Depending on who is or isn't saved can have a fairly dramatic effect on the group and sustained exp gain.

If that's important to each player, respectively.

;)

Kender
02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
sk and pally dont mitigte damage as well as warriors, and when it comes to raid targets you can't go past warrior

grp situations are different though. the mitigation gap can be reduced with spell abilities

sk's have str stealing and life draining abilities to reduce damage (albiet slightly) and self heal

pallies get stuns (from 30+) which prevent damage during stun and interupt those pesky casters. They can self heal (and later on excluding regen, can actually do it almost as well as a druid. both get superior healing Dru at 53 Pal at 57)

as has been noted, sk can fd.
as has not been noted, pallies can lull lines to pull instead of fd

all 3 have there own +'s and -'s

in summary...

Warrior - best mitigation at all times and really the only option for tanking end game velious

SK - Best solo class (fear kite), best snap agro, FD, good dps

Pally - Lowest dps, Heals, Rezes, better snap agro than warrior, stuns, HP/AC buffs (where cleric is not present), lull

izule
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
On warriors ,what's pros and cons of a iskar warrior

Scavrefamn
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I vaguely remember Iksars not being able to wear plate back in the old days, but I'm not sure if that applies to this server... (?)

Crimson Death
03-02-2012, 05:14 AM
I vaguely remember Iksars not being able to wear plate back in the old days, but I'm not sure if that applies to this server... (?)

Kunark plate they can't wear but Velious armors they could.

Also iksars get a racial bonus to armor class.

leezard
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
IIRC Paladin gets 90% rez at 59 or whenever it is, not full. If you really are looking to make a comprehensive list OP then you should probably add Kick to the warrior skill list.
I know alot of wars get rolled as large races w/ bash, but there still alot of med/small warriors.

As for newer players, or people just starting, it's generally considered easier to go w/ a hybrid tank as they are less dependent on weapons/procs for agro, and can focus on hp/ac gear more so than a warrior. Some people think the difficulties warriors can face w/ agro in good groups can turn newer players off as well. The con to this obviously being the hybrid xp penalty.

Paladins truly can be a nice option for groups that are limited in their healing capacity, i.e. shaman healer or druid (more so probably in Kunark, w/ higher hp mobs) as well as the Oh shit button that LoH provides (Great for moments when say, the enchanter or cleric gets mad agro and and is going down).

Iksar's have regen and ac bonus, and until velious are limited severly in armor choices as a warrior. They do get the class weapon quest, which can also slot in the back iirc (for people who like convoluted quests..) The mancatcher is nice if you can get it done reasonably quickly (altho tbh I am not sure on it's status on p99) as it's 14/30 w/ a proc or something similar, in additon to 8ac and some sta. altho later on if you end up w/ a back slot haste item it becomes pretty much an offhand or a full bank slot.

teekanc
03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Ogre SK, nuff said.

Nicolas Cage
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Paladins have Deepwater Helms that make them shamans/necros/monks best friend. Their epic is the easiest of the three tanks by far.

Tunarean paladins get Nature's Defender (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4646) in Velious, which is on par with epic. 45 AC instead of 15 but worse saves and no 2h bash.

Grozmok
03-12-2012, 11:22 PM
This item is placeable in yards and houses.

LOL

Arteker
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
in velious paladin sk defense become exactly the same than warriors , Wars, paladin sk can get same AC, cap is 1500 (harder for paladins).

The wars discs are what made them better raid tanks and it may be not true in p99 if u have a excellent cleric line for raids.

in this server Sks, pals have tanked from sky to trak and vp mobs .

Because back in live people dont understand the mechanics of each class realy nowdays dont make much sense think pal sks can be inferior to war tanks , their discs make life easier but 100 % doable to have a pal sk to tank raid mobs.

Crazy_Horse
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
On warriors ,what's pros and cons of a iskar warrior

Didnt play warrior played Iksar Shaman. But with Iksar race I Did notice I could see Really well at Night and I think I had a better Regen than other races..? (i think) I know Troll has better Regen of HP.

But that only matters for lower levels i guess....

oh and I could swim really well!

So i guess choosing a smaller race (ie. Not Ogre,Troll,Barb,) gives you the advantages of those other races... (you run faster..)

Grozmok
03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Didnt play warrior

and you're posting in this thread because...?

Noselacri
04-06-2012, 04:42 PM
All hybrids can effortlessly generate more than enough aggro, so it's not terribly relevant which one generates more. It's a matter of needing 100 at most when one can generate 200 and the other 250, to make a simple example. The only real difference here is that shadowknights can do it with easily spammable spells while paladin stuns have a cooldown and blind can yield unpredictable results if you have to move the mob or something. Conversely, shadowknights can't get snap aggro without dealing damage while paladins can, and that might matter a little if you're bringing a mob out of mez or something.

Since shadowknights are reasonable soloers and very viable pullers while paladins can't really do anything well other than tank, I've always considered shadowknights to be the more well-rounded tank.

Warriors don't really have any noteworthy advantage unless the content warrants defensive disciplines. They have ever so slightly better mitigation and a few hundred more HP, but that hardly matters compared to the vastly better aggro and various utilities of the hybrids.

patlefort
04-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Just don't play paladin if you don't like chaining misses. Their melee is terribly programmed and random. You will die from it.

Tormaul
06-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Kunark plate they can't wear but Velious armors they could.

Also iksars get a racial bonus to armor class.

not all. sadly Ikkys will not be able to wear any of the Thurg/Kael/Skyshrine quest plate. so, at least the weren't able to back in the day. who knows what fun is to come though

runlvlzero
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
SK also get hide i'm pretty sure at 30 or so which is kinda cool on an ogre or troll