PDA

View Full Version : How do shamans fare in groups/raids?

Flash
03-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Are they generally a desired class for either?

quido
03-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Well

Flash
03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Well

Well...what?

Handull
03-04-2012, 01:03 AM
shamans are usually desired for both groups and raids (this comes from a guy who plays a 60 druid main). Shaman haste/stat buffs/heals/dps are pretty nice for any group. They also have sow and can root CC. Most high end groups will prefer a shaman over a druid, unfortunately. During a raid shaman are desired, but they tend to have the boring job of keeping everyone's stat buffs fresh and redoing haste every few minutes. on the other hand, my druid can dps, buff, pull, kite, root cc, port, etc on a raid. i've never played a shaman, so i can't really say, but i totally hate a small raid without a shaman where i have to keep up str buffs on the melees :P it isn't a tall order, but i just find it annoying and wouldn't want that to be my primary job at a raid

Flash
03-05-2012, 11:55 PM
What's a Barb Shamans exp penalty?

Estu
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
What's a Barb Shamans exp penalty?

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

mgellan
03-06-2012, 01:11 PM
shamans are usually desired for both groups and raids (this comes from a guy who plays a 60 druid main). Shaman haste/stat buffs/heals/dps are pretty nice for any group. ... During a raid shaman are desired, but they tend to have the boring job of keeping everyone's stat buffs fresh and redoing haste every few minutes.

Other than stat buffs shamans have a class defining spell - Slow. The Shaman's job in a raid, AFAIK, is slowing the mob and staying alive long enough for the MT to get aggro! And buffing. If Shamans are hasting you must not have an Enchanter :)

For groups Shammies are buffbots yes but I would disagree with "on the other hand, my druid can dps, buff, pull, kite, root cc, port, etc on a raid" - the only thing the Shammy can't do better than a druid is port...

Regards,
Mg

Raavak
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Torpor shaman are kinda a big deal.

Flash
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
So what should my general spellbar consist of? I want one that I don't constantly have to switch out spells for in a raid every 5 minutes. I'm thinking A heal, a slow, a nuke, and 5 buffs.

Galelor
03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
DD Heal, Torpor, Malo, Turgur's, Canni. I keep regen up too (but I don't have torpor yet.) I usually keep haste and a DD up just in case I need them.

Estu
03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Root can come in handy too.

Daldaen
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Other than stat buffs shamans have a class defining spell - Slow. The Shaman's job in a raid, AFAIK, is slowing the mob and staying alive long enough for the MT to get aggro! And buffing. If Shamans are hasting you must not have an Enchanter :)

For groups Shammies are buffbots yes but I would disagree with "on the other hand, my druid can dps, buff, pull, kite, root cc, port, etc on a raid" - the only thing the Shammy can't do better than a druid is port...

Regards,
Mg

Druids are better kiters, pullers, root cc and snare/kite cc on a raid than a shaman is. DPS probably as well. But shamans own them in healing, slowing and melee debuffs

Flash
03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Druids are better kiters, pullers, root cc and snare/kite cc on a raid than a shaman is. DPS probably as well. But shamans own them in healing, slowing and melee debuffs

Don't forget buffs.

Daldaen
03-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Eh it really depends on the person. For casters yea natureskin / group regrowth own. But shamans have dex / sta / focus / haste. So for melee they're more important (then again chanter haste is better)

Silentone
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
the nice thing about a high end shaman is he can play the roll of a healer and crowed control ie) used instead of a cleric or enchanter. As far as raids go, they arent the top priority must have class *as long as you have 1 in raid. where as dps, tanks, clerics u need multiples of

Broot
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Shamans are amazing, most of the reasons why have been covered.

The server may have balanced out a bit, but there was a huge amount of shamans for a long time because they solo so well. So they are definitely not rare. That may be something to take into consideration, but they are definitely a powerful class and great for so many situations.