PDA

View Full Version : On Clerical Wisdom

envino
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
So i started a cleric a few days back, and have managed to eek my way up to level 8. Im starting to wonder about wisdom - I know that my most important stat..

So far ive biased my gear acquisitions toward AC, im wearing a set of banded,with a few wis pieces. Ive managed to get my wis up to 137 while having the AC to reasonably melee solo.

Am I doing it wrong? I got in a group the other day and was just about useless as a healer, my best heal barely moved the tanks hp at all, and I was constantly out of mana.

So is it time to start stacking more wis and giving up on AC or should I maybe build 2 sets, a healing set and a solo set?

I guess im just not sure how wis works, how much is enough, will it make a huge difference on mana regen? Im pretty much useless as a healer right now without clarity.

Any suggestions?

Kevlar
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
The war was probably twinked to hell if you couldn't budge his hp. While it gives a nice boost at first you really won't be able to keep up heals as a low level healer. Even if you are twinked with a bunch of +mana gear your meditate isn't going to replenish any faster than a non twink.

That is why regen items are so popular for twinks but near worthless when you are the appropriate level to get them.

envino
03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
What regen items might one save up for and buy? Are there any in the hundreds of plat range or are they all thousands? I'd imagine the demand is plenty high.

Kevlar
03-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Well as a cleric you really don't need them. They become useless as your mana pool and spell levels increase. So really just a waste of money for you.
Iksar ceremonial chestplate is probably the cheapest and upward of 10,000 pp.

envino
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah that's a LOT. Alright well I'll just keep begging for clarity :)

ArumTP
03-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Your AC should track roughly equal to a paladin or shadow knight. Don't sacrifice AC for WIS. You are doing it correctly.

Estu
03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
There is no way to increase your mana regen through equipment. All WIS does is increase your maximum MP. That helps you take down tough opponents or multiple pulls where you need to burn a lot of heals, but if your group is well put together and is pulling reasonable stuff, you will literally not need any extra WIS (not until you're doing raids and such at level 46+, anyhow), since having more maximum MP does not affect how many heals you can do per hour. Don't get all up in your head about being a worthless healer. Clerics are the best healers around, period. You can do just fine completely naked as you're leveling, again barring those unusual sticky situations, which are not your fault anyway but the fault of the puller.

envino
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, and thanks for the rez the other day Arum!

Noselacri
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Wisdom only increases your mana pool, it doesn't affect mana regen at all. I've always said that mana pool is overrated, and while it matters more for a cleric than for, say, a shaman, it's still not that big of a deal. Certainly not something you'd have to worry about at level 8.

You'll want a big enough mana pool that you don't go OOM immediately, but that's all but guaranteed just by putting all your starting points into wisdom. A little extra on gear helps, but you'll quickly reach a point where it almost never makes a difference. In groups, the overwhelming majority of your time is spent either hovering around half mana or thereabouts and never being full, or sitting at full mana because the camp is easy. Very rarely will your mana fluctuate wildly between low and full in a way where the size of your mana pool matters. You're usually better off getting HP in the slots where you can (mainly rings, cloak, neck, head) and then just getting wisdom wherever you can't. Even AC has its merits, though your goal should be to not get hit and your high HP will hopefully suffice to let you survive when you do anyway.

Meleeing will work until level 15 or so, then you're really better off nuking and medding if you want to solo. Cleric undead nukes are quite decent and you can solo alright with them the wizard way, but grouping will always be better. Just don't expect to be able to melee usefully past level 20 at the very most.

Yukahwa
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Newb zone - > Chessboard in butcher - > Unrest till level 39 - > Spectres or whatever until 50

booyeah.

Farquis
04-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I am in a similar situation. I re-rolled as a Cleric, twinked my character, but can never feel at peace in a group that continuously pulls one after another. I'm always the one that has to say "oom - hold up on pulls, please" while feeling like a wrench in the group. How do I keep my mana flowing and keep up with fellow group members?

I'm level 12 currently, and what I do is cast Center on anybody who is at 80% health, sit, wait for two ticks, for Center cooldown, then do it again to anybody who is at 80% or lower health.

Daldaen
04-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Hrmm Center is an HP buff, not a heal.

You should be using Healing vs Center...

The only way you can increase your mana regen rate:

Get Clarity/Breeze
Get level 56 for Yaulp with Mana regen
Get Velious to come out and do Shawl

Otherwise you have just your base 1 mana regen + meditate.

If you aren't sitting between each cast you need to start doing that. Don't bother meleeing ever.

At low levels ya its basically just a /faceroll fest, there is no way to be more efficient really, you just have to keep spamming heals.

Estu
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
What I like to do on my cleric is only heal someone if their HP percentage is less than my mana percentage. This enforces my meditation rate on them without having to say "hold up on the next pull", since they're probably not going to pull at 30% health. Really, you shouldn't feel self-conscious about your mana regen. Of course you can't heal indefinitely. Not being able to chain pull is a fact of life when you have one healer early in the game.

Deverell
04-29-2012, 11:46 AM
One thing to remember is that people don't really need to be at full health. This is especially true if there's someone in the group who can help others regen, like a shaman or bard, or if they're wearing a fungi or ikky bp which is common nowadays. If you keep spending mana topping everyone off, you're wasting mana on healing that would happen automatically anyway. Having played both shaman and bard, I always cringe when the cleric heals somebody from 90% to 100% and then asks for a med break. You might want to make sure the enchanter doesn't sit at half hp and that the tank is healthy, the rest of the group can be at like 70% with no real risk. Up to level 30 or so, healing is much more about allowing the grind to continue than about saving lives, people generally aren't going to be taking so much damage that you can't react to it easily. It'll also encourage them to watch their aggro better.

Swifty
05-08-2012, 12:48 PM
i am currently buy some gear for my cleric. once he hits 200 wisdom, should i start focusing on HP/AC gear or mana gear?

zaraax
06-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Hrmm Center is an HP buff, not a heal.

You should be using Healing vs Center...

The only way you can increase your mana regen rate:

Get Clarity/Breeze
Get level 56 for Yaulp with Mana regen
Get Velious to come out and do Shawl

Otherwise you have just your base 1 mana regen + meditate.

If you aren't sitting between each cast you need to start doing that. Don't bother meleeing ever.

At low levels ya its basically just a /faceroll fest, there is no way to be more efficient really, you just have to keep spamming heals.

FYI There is no Yaulp V in this timeline.....The best is yaulp 4 which doesn't have the mana regen component...Luclin i believe...which means never on p99...

Kender
07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
FYI There is no Yaulp V in this timeline.....The best is yaulp 4 which doesn't have the mana regen component...Luclin i believe...which means never on p99...

Which is a pity. I used to play a melee cleric. with all my regen gear and yaulp I could melee and still have enough mana regen to keep the group alive. I'd usually get yelled at for meleeing but that soon disappeared when i could maintain it and not let anyone die

was much more interesting than sitting of a mount all day (mount medding was just wrong)

Drasis
08-13-2012, 01:42 AM
Wait for your lvl 14 heal and see if you are still having problems. Light Healing is pretty wimpy.

Ele
08-16-2012, 12:01 AM
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Kalanar%27s_Guide_to_Cleric_Heals