PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with vengeful lyricist?

TheFishyOne
04-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Alright, I stopped playing about 30min ago, took a chill pill, and now feel I have de-raged enough to post on this. =)

As a newbie barb Shammy (lvl 2) how do you avoid getting constantly creamed by the vengeful lyricist? I'm level 2, and lost count of how many corpse runs I did after 4, but all of them were the result of this dude jamming on me, usually while fighting something else. It would seem to me that the powers that be would not put something this dangerous to newbies in a newbie zone, and have him frequently path in front of the only way in or out of town. I fully understand and appreciate that this is Classic EQ, but it doesn't seem logical to me that a game developer would put a no-win scenario in a gamer's path right when he's literally coming out of the gate. =P

The way I figure, there IS a solution, and I just haven't caught onto it yet. So, if any veteran barb shammies could give me some advice on how to deal with this dude, it would be much appreciated.

Flunklesnarkin
04-04-2012, 01:36 AM
that guy is a bastard... and its always been a pain starting off as a barbarian because of him.

I'd suggest pulling monsters you want to fight to a spot where he doesn't roam... there are a couple nooks and dead ends where he doesn't roam near halas you can pull too.. or fight just outside the halas guards assist range.

Probably have to do that till you are high enough level to kill the gnolls guarding blackburrow.

or purchase / make a sow pot and run like hell for qeynos hills lol

the trivial to make single dose sow pots is 37.. so spend 20 points at your GM then skill up a little bit.

Zereh
04-04-2012, 02:09 AM
The way I figure, there IS a solution, and I just haven't caught onto it yet. So, if any veteran barb shammies could give me some advice on how to deal with this dude, it would be much appreciated.

All I can say is, the hills are your friends. =P I learned to run up the mountain sides as high as I could when I saw a skelly coming my way. They don't path up there. And as long as you're not in his social aggro range he'll go on his merry way and ignore you. It won't take you long to figure out what route he takes and how to avoid him.

TheFishyOne
04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the helpful feedback! Unfortunately (or fortunately, as it turns out) I didn't get to employ these methods per se, as after posting the OP, I logged back on, and encountered the lyricist soon after. I ran back in the direction I came, and a pair of barbs ran past me going TOWARD the danger. I chose to be a coward and abandon them to their fate. (better them then me...=S)

About 3-5 minutes later, I came back that way to find the vengeful lyricist's corpse, with the journal page already looted. He didn't respawn for the rest of the night, and that makes me a happy panda. However, like the hair on a Halfling's shorn feet, I expect he'll be back before long, but this time I will be a bit more prepared. Thank you again for the tips and tricks.

Swish
04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I ran back in the direction I came, and a pair of barbs ran past me going TOWARD the danger. I chose to be a coward and abandon them to their fate. (better them then me...=S

What a monstrous thing to do...you're a true evil race, maybe a troll/ogre/iksar shammie would suit your personality better :D

Hope you get your revenge ;)

Darian
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I feel your pain. That's why whenever I'm out killing mammoths or ice giants I go out of my way to smash the vengeful skeleton crew. Stick to the edges of the canyons til you get high enough level to exact your revenge.

mwatt
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
The only solution is to develop paranoia concerning these guys. Sounds like you are nearly there.

mgellan
04-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, you need to con all incoming skellies from a distance and if there's a vengeful inc pull your mob up the side of a mountain and you'll be good.

I also make a point of killing these guys every single time I see them, probably helped by the fact the dumbasses attack me LOL :)

Kevlar
04-11-2012, 06:05 PM
They are only level 8-10. Just level up and you will beat them. Be glad you aren't in misty thicket. Mooto is 10x worse than the skelies. He roots you then kills you! You can't even make a run for the guards.

Every noobie zone has a guy like that.

Within99
04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I member those, just pull to safety, ffs have you ever played a game before?

Yukahwa
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
barb is by far the toughest class to start with. Treacherous newbie zone.

Barj
04-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Almost every zone has something like that. It's one of the things about the game that is bringing me back.

Auchae
05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Almost every zone has something like that. It's one of the things about the game that is bringing me back.

QFT

Haven't played in awhile, but the equivalent mob in Steamfont (Bugglegupp) is non-KoS on this server. Just reminded me of that. Kinda unfair because that Troll Rogue used to roll right through me on every character, guaranteed.

Ulwyn
05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
When running from the vengful bastards do the sidestep run trick I have managed to only die to them once and I stayed in the area til level 6 =)

Ulwyn
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
The great thing about original EQ is the fact that there ARE no win scenarios. If you want easy mode leveling ..... this really isn't the place lol. Corpse Runs and /loc corpse finding ... that's what EQ is all about my friend

SamwiseBanned
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
try Mooto in MT or the alchemist.

Kevlar
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Misty Thicket is so bad there is a goblin there on guard faction so if you attack him and run to the guards they kill you. At least on live, not sure if that guy is in P1999.