PDA

View Full Version : Patch Notes, Wednesday May 5th, 2010

Rogean
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
This is a code patch only.

Rogean: Spam Prevention: Players level 1-4 can only send 1 message into OOC and Auc 3 times per minute. Players over level 4 can send 10 messages per minute.
Rogean/Haynar: Removed spell worn off messages (not classic).
Haynar: Fix for TIGER_STRIKE spell effect, so manastones will no longer be so annoying. Monk tiger strikes, will maintain previous fix to show damage.
Haynar: Fixed stacking of Bard MR debuffs. This should allow bard charm to work.
Haynar: Fixed interrupt with spell casting bar for bards (tested with Titanium client).
Haynar: Fixed bard song dropping, right when another song lands.
Haynar: Fixed bard songs dropping early.
Haynar: Fixed bard song fading, right after same song lands.
Haynar: Fixed interrupt message being sent to other clients, when camping out. This was a side effect of some bard fixes.

Bumamgar
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Rogean/Haynar: Removed spell worn off messages (not classic).

Some worn off messages are classic. In particular, DoTs, roots, and snares always gave a worn off message. What isn't classic are buffs giving a worn off message. That was added in the patch on May 11, 2005.

Haynar
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Some worn off messages are classic. In particular, DoTs, roots, and snares always gave a worn off message. What isn't classic are buffs giving a worn off message. That was added in the patch on May 11, 2005.
The part I had worked on, now correct me if I am wrong, were the worn off messages that occur on death of a client or mob.

I do not remember getting any worn off messages when a mob died. That would have been a nightmare for debuffs on multiple mobs when I was playing my shammy, trying to figure out which slow just wore off.

Haynar

Bumamgar
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Correct, there were no worn off messages when your target died.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the patch note, but it looked to me that all worn off messages had been removed from p99, which wouldn't be true to classic.

Haynar
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Correct, there were no worn off messages when your target died.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the patch note, but it looked to me that all worn off messages had been removed from p99, which wouldn't be true to classic.
As always, we sometimes do go overboard, with what we intended. If we knocked out too many messages, we can always add them back to be consistent with classic.

Due to the complexity in some of the code, there can be many different paths which fire off a message. Or cancel a bard song, for that matter. I hate to say it, but you guys are sometimes our beta testers for patches. With our limited resources, it is often difficult for us to do regression testing for every change.

Please continue to provide feedback, and we will strive to always make the server better.

Haynar

Phallax
05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Currently ALL worn off messages are OFF. I think this was vanilla classic. Cant remember when actual worn off msgs were added, but worn off upon death I never remember so that needs to stay that way eithe rway...whadda ya say

eldub
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I just cried a tear of blood for all the enchanters out there.

guineapig
05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh.... no more worn off messages? This is not good....

ciggwin
05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Spell wear off messages were not in classic out of the box... but not sure when it was implemented. I really want to say Kunark+, but I could be completely wrong. It was a long time ago.

DoT damage messages should also be removed, if we are going for consistency with classic ;)

Rogean
05-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Can someone find me the patch messages that impliments worn off messages, with date.

Phallax
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Can someone find me the patch messages that impliments worn off messages, with date.

searching...give me a few, grouped and searching, bad combo!

nilbog
05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
The only worn off messages you should see are for your own detrimental spells, and only when the npc is alive.

Example: your mesmerize spell has worn off!

The earliest I see anything about this was giving players an option to use a different color for their own messages, prior to Velious coming out.

August 2000
29 - Spell worn offNext was

9/26/2002
The "Your XXX Spell Has Worn Off" messages for DoT spells will now go to the right character.references:

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000823.html
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020926.html

guineapig
05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
So no more buff wore off messages, period.
Glad I'm not a pet class. At least my group can tell me when they need a refresh.

que sera sera

Phallax
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
The only worn off messages you should see are for your own detrimental spells, and only when the npc is alive.

The earliest I see anything about this was giving players an option to use a different color for their own messages, prior to Velious coming out.

Next was

references:

yea thats all i can find too

Bumamgar
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
There are only two patch messages that mention spell worn off messages:

August 23, 2000 7:00 am (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2000-2.html)
*Updated EQCLIENT.INI documentation*
[snip]
Here is a list of user colors to use as a guide when editing the file:
[snip]
29 - Spell worn off

This shows that some messages existed prior to 8/23/2000, and they were documenting how to set the color for them in your eqclient.ini file.

The next mention is the revamp on May 11, 2005 (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2005-1.html)

-Based on player feedback, we have removed the notification to the caster that occurred whenever a heal-over-time spell made an exceptional heal and added new functionality to let the caster know when their spell has worn off.
-All detrimental spells that have a duration will now notify their caster when they wear off.
-All buffs that last at least 24 seconds and do not go to the short buff window will now notify their caster when they wear off.

However, I have logs going back to 2003 (yes, I know, not classic, but before the worn off revamp of 2005) showing worn off messages for a variety of detrimental spells (Apathy, Bliss, Cripple, Dazzle, Entrancing Lights, Fascination, Forlorn Deeds, Graeter Fetter, Howl of Tashan, Rapture, Strangle, Tashania, Torment of Argli, Torment of Scio, Word of Morell, 'charm', 'fear', Instill, Mark of Retaliation, Petrifying Earth) (can you tell my logs are from an Enchanter and a Cleric? :))

I, sadly, don't have logs going back earlier than 2003, but I've asked my guildies to see if they have anything going back further...

Edit: Based on Nilbog's post, it looks like this patch is in sync with what my logs show, ie: worn off messages for detrimental spells only, while the target is alive only.

Malrubius
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Man, I would think there would be a ton of such old logs. Anybody?

I'll always regret not having logging turned on back in the day. :(

Rogean
05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I have all my logs from combine server. I had other hits turned on too. In a raiding guild. Yea.. You can imagine how much space thats taking up (like 10 gigs?)

guineapig
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I have all my logs from combine server. I had other hits turned on too. In a raiding guild. Yea.. You can imagine how much space thats taking up (like 10 gigs?)

That's just crazy man, but very beneficial now I bet!

Rogean
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Ok so it seems, you should get the message for detrimental only.

And we need to remove dot damage messages? What do people think about that.. It would make necros unparsable =\

Yoite
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
my preference would be that dot dmg messages be left in, but it is true that its not classic

JayFiveAlive
05-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Just wanted to say thank you devs for patching more often than once a week. I realize you may not keep this up, but it is appreciated while you can!

It was pretty painful when something really important was broken and knowing you had at least a week before you'd see a fix.

Thanks!

Rogean
05-05-2010, 02:58 PM
It's usually not by choice; I'm the only person that does the patches and I work mon-fri, and I don't like patching during prime time. So that leaves the rare occasion where something is a priority (ooc spam) and I take time out of my work lunch break to do a patch.

Ceridain
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I think leave the DoT msgs in. /nod

Aarone
05-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I think leave the DoT msgs in. /nod

What he said.

Malrubius
05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
What he said.

A contrarian opinion - my vote would be to remove the dot messages.

ciggwin
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Even though I was the one who brought it up, I think the DoT messages should stay in.

guineapig
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Well I think that buff wore off messages should stay in too if that counts for anything....
(doubtful)

I want the names of the people that demanded this be removed!!!
And then I want their heads!!!
(mostly joking.... mostly. =P )

nilbog
05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I remember unnecessarily casting buffs on myself, just to know when they would fade from subsequent casts on group members :P

Phallax
05-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I remember unnecessarily casting buffs on myself, just to know when they would fade from subsequent casts on group members :P

Yea this was how i always timed buffs as well

Kraftwerk
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
In lieu of these changes, does anyone know how long burnout lasts?

Phorest
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for implementing some type of spamm control ! Good Job!

Tallenn
05-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't remember when worn of messages started either, I just know that worn off messages have NEVER been shown on death or on re-buff. Aren't in live now, and never have been.

I'll be damned if I'll waste mana hasting myself just to know when it wears off. I guess you melees will just have to ask for it :p (or be happy with augmentation)

Lonedrahon25
05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
im thinking burnout lasts around 15 mins? give or take. that seems to be the length for my 35 mage.

girth
05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't remember when worn of messages started either, I just know that worn off messages have NEVER been shown on death or on re-buff. Aren't in live now, and never have been.

I'll be damned if I'll waste mana hasting myself just to know when it wears off. I guess you melees will just have to ask for it :p (or be happy with augmentation)

Who's not happy with Aug? I'll love you all day long for aug.

Nedala
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I remember buffs had no worn off messages, but i believe dots had, or do i remember wrong?

But well yeah im a druid id rather see them in anyway :P

Spirell
05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Currently ALL worn off messages are OFF. I think this was vanilla classic. Cant remember when actual worn off msgs were added, but worn off upon death I never remember so that needs to stay that way eithe rway...whadda ya say

I am around 90% sure that there were some worn off messages in classic out of the box. I remember as a bard getting the worn off messages when an enchanter overwrote my mez in Kunark for sure, but I am pretty sure I used to get snare and lull worn off messages before that. The reason for the 10% unsure is I can't remember if the times in original EQ were from when progression server opened or not, but I am 100% sure they used to happen when I was in Karnor's Castle for the first time ever.

BuzWeaver
05-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Ok so it seems, you should get the message for detrimental only.

And we need to remove dot damage messages? What do people think about that.. It would make necros unparsable =\

You still have Droids and Shaman who use DOTs too, not to mention damaged shields. If we see DD damage, then why not DOTs?

Zanti
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Please leave dot damage in. Not knowing when pet buffs fade makes me sad :(.

Does this mean that charm breaks wont give off a msg also? And dispelt buffs..

BuzWeaver
05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I am around 90% sure that there were some worn off messages in classic out of the box. I remember as a bard getting the worn off messages when an enchanter overwrote my mez in Kunark for sure, but I am pretty sure I used to get snare and lull worn off messages before that. The reason for the 10% unsure is I can't remember if the times in original EQ were from when progression server opened or not, but I am 100% sure they used to happen when I was in Karnor's Castle for the first time ever.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I do recall snare/root wearing off as a Druid, this was how I stayed alive. I can recall having a certain color text to insure that I saw the messages (Snare/Root has worn off). Sadly, I don't recall buff messages, 10 years is a long time to recall such a subtle detail. ;)

tal597
05-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I was a Shaman in a raiding guild back in the day. All I did was buff, debuff, and dot.

There wasn't a "worn off" message on buffs, I always had to set timers.

There WAS a "worn off" message on dots and on debuffs. That includes messages when a dot/debuff got overwritten by another spell.

There wasn't a "worn off" message when a mob died.

There wasn't the damage per tick messages we are getting now on dots.

I wish I had logs from back then, but they have been long deleted.

Yinaltin
05-05-2010, 07:56 PM
let dot dmg messages ingame even its not classic . necros like me will love you again for that AND YOU WILL LOVE IT (too)

LazyFuj
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
here here, please leave the dot worn off msgs in. thanks!

Phallax
05-05-2010, 09:57 PM

Kunark is far from "out of the box". Classic EQ did not have worn off messages for anything in the begining. If you dot rotted a mob with root. You had to sit there and wait for the mob to start running at you to know that the root wore off. They put the worn off msgs a good time before Kunark but not sure of the exact date, and yes was detrimal only.

jettoki
05-05-2010, 11:07 PM
DoT damage per tick messages were implemented alongside a ton of other features like seeing pet buffs, getting messages when they wore off, etc. As a longtime Necro, I consider these features indispensable.

Still, I would argue that if we're tossing those things, we should toss DoT messages too. I don't really have a strong opinion, but it should at least be consistent. And if we're going this hardcore with the classic theme, I'd also argue that we should toss global chat, increase spell scribe times exponentially, allow crafting containers to destroy items, etc. Otherwise, selective feature reverts feel arbitrary and punishing.

oldhead
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM
DoT damage per tick messages were implemented alongside a ton of other features like seeing pet buffs, getting messages when they wore off, etc. As a longtime Necro, I consider these features indispensable.

Still, I would argue that if we're tossing those things, we should toss DoT messages too. I don't really have a strong opinion, but it should at least be consistent. And if we're going this hardcore with the classic theme, I'd also argue that we should toss global chat, increase spell scribe times exponentially, allow crafting containers to destroy items, etc. Otherwise, selective feature reverts feel arbitrary and punishing.

agree... all or non.

But I think you should leave this type of trivial stuff in.

Buuut, I don't know just how classic your vision is for this server. I only know how classic I and a majority of players would like it to be.

matahari
05-06-2010, 01:16 AM

Next was

references:

I agree I searched for a bit and found the same thing. August 2000 was when they added you could change the color of text for buffs dropping.

the may 11th 2005 patch notes do say something like.. All dot's will now report they have worn off at the end of the duration.

We also remember having to buff ourselves to time out buffing.

moebius8
05-06-2010, 04:00 AM
i found my original cd and installed it so i could see for myself if dot durations were in at launch and it seems they were.

here is some pertinent text grabs

HC 4 ) G fddd ========== ,
Grasping Roots PLAYER_1 Your feet become entwined. is entwined by roots. The roots fall from your feet. HC

Drones of Doom PLAYER_1 You feel the pain of a thousand stings. is engulfed by a swarm. The swarm departs. zC

dddd ===6="======== , Charm Animals PLAYER_1
Charm Animals PLAYER_1 blinks. (that all it says but there is some sort of message there to show duration ended)

Stinging Swarm PLAYER_1 You feel the pain of a thousand stings. is engulfed by a swarm. The swarm departs. zC
\
Mesmerization PLAYER_1 You are mesmerized. has been mesmerized. You are no longer mesmerized.

Eye of Zomm PLAYER_1 SummonEye Your extra eye departs. *@ p '

the disk is yellow copyright 1999

Bumamgar
05-06-2010, 06:45 AM
I agree I searched for a bit and found the same thing. August 2000 was when they added you could change the color of text for buffs dropping.

Aug 2000 isn't when they added that you could change the color of text for buffs dropping, it's when they DOCUMENTED it. The feature was always there.

Deathrydar
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
We also remember having to buff ourselves to time out buffing.

I clearly remember this being the only way to know that my buffs ran off of other players. I used to buff myself first, then buff the group. Once my buffs started fading, I knew that it was rebuffing time!

Rogean
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Can someone give me an accurate description of what command used to show pet buffs and exactly how it was outputted.

(I'm talking about the command one that was just text).

Tudana
05-06-2010, 08:20 AM
As always, we sometimes do go overboard, with what we intended. If we knocked out too many messages, we can always add them back to be consistent with classic.

Due to the complexity in some of the code, there can be many different paths which fire off a message. Or cancel a bard song, for that matter. I hate to say it, but you guys are sometimes our beta testers for patches. With our limited resources, it is often difficult for us to do regression testing for every change.

Please continue to provide feedback, and we will strive to always make the server better.

Haynar

hehe, this is the most honest and up front I have ever seen from a dev over patch notes. I have never heard this from a Live dev team.

P1999 rocks ever harder now in my eyes!
/hug you guys!

jettoki
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Can someone give me an accurate description of what command used to show pet buffs and exactly how it was outputted.

/pet report health --- displays the pets health as a percentage and also lists all current buffs on pet in text form.

This source includes a lot of post-Luclin commands, so I don't know how accurate it is. No mention is made of the actual output format, and I don't know how many players will remember it.

I'm guessing it looked something like "I am at % percent health. Spell effects on me: Skin like Wood, Spirit of Wolf"

Rogean
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
I thought I remembered it being something like:
I am at % percent health.
Skin like Wood, 24s
Spirit of Wolf, 4m

AR3151
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
DAMN! i like the spell worn off message!

:(

Mady
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Did the same thing.

rlsmmo
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM

It used to do it way back when, if you did: /pet report health

That would show it like /pet health, but would also list the buffs.

I do not recall exactly what it looked like, been too long, sorry.

Regarding worn off messages - I played main enchanter, secondary shaman. These are what I recall:

- Worn off messages did not get displayed. I had to watch a mob to see if root broke, mez broke, etc. I had to time mezzes in my head or with a timer (many people would use hardware timer). DOTs were the same way, there were no messages for dot damage, and you had to time when it would wear off. Buffs were much the same, even in Kunark. I remember being in KC tower, for example, with my shaman - and would time certain buffs (e.g., stats) by casting on myself first, while with others (haste, regen), I would just let them ask me for it. Enchanter was same way, for like, doing CC in tower, I remember that, and timing RM or C2 - but not haste, would have them ask.

IMO, while there might be things you do to the world to make things more balance or fun (respawn timers, etc.), it seems if you want to maintain true classic, then they need to be off - even though that was an "annoying" feature. heh. (so was having to remember to turn on run every time you logged in!).

Bumamgar
05-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Enchanters had to time mezzes in their head or with an egg-timer so they could remez BEFORE it wore off, not because there wasn't a message when it did.

There were definitely wore-off messages for mez, root and other detrimental effects from day one. There were *not* wore off messages for buffs and other beneficial spells.

km2783
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
I know when I started playing before 2000 they were not there. By Kunark I wasn't playing a caster, though, so I don't know exactly when it was implimented. Well, I had a Cleric for a brief time in Kunark and I still don't remember the messages.

I did like having it, though :D Classic be damned! :p

Enchanters had to time mezzes in their head or with an egg-timer so they could remez BEFORE it wore off, not because there wasn't a message when it did.

There were definitely wore-off messages for mez, root and other detrimental effects from day one. There were *not* wore off messages for buffs and other beneficial spells.

This is how I remember things when I played a caster

**edit** looky what me found...

EverQuest Patch Notes Archive (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches.html )

mgellan
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM

/agree, I used to do this as well...

nilbog
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM

OK! Now I did play a magician.

Originally, up until post Velious, if you /pet report health, it would return a value of

I have # percent of my hit points left. (in white text) Nothing else, no messages about buffs.

#488 in eqstr_us.txt
I have %1 percent of my hit points left.Log from 2001.

15:33 aqua goblin bosun scowls at you, ready to attack -- looks like quite a gamble.
15:41 Taunting Attacker Master.
15:43 You begin casting Shock of Flame.
15:46 aqua goblin bosun was hit by non-melee for 92 points of damage.
15:46 Aqua goblin bosun's skin ignites.
15:46 Aqua goblin bosun hits Jonarab for 20 points of damage.
15:46 Aqua goblin bosun kicks Jonarab for 5 points of damage.
15:47 Taunting Attacker Master.
15:49 You haven't recovered yet...
15:49 Aqua goblin bosun hits Jonarab for 14 points of damage.
15:49 Jonarab begins to cast a spell.
15:50 You begin casting Shield of Fire.
15:52 Jonarab is enveloped by flame.
15:52 Aqua goblin bosun hits Jonarab for 24 points of damage.
15:54 Aqua goblin bosun kicks Jonarab for 5 points of damage.
15:54 You begin casting Shock of Flame.
15:56 Jonarab begins to cast a spell.
15:57 aqua goblin bosun was hit by non-melee for 38 points of damage.
15:57 Aqua goblin bosun's skin ignites.
15:58 Aqua goblin bosun hits Jonarab for 40 points of damage.
15:59 Taunting Attacker Master.
16:00 I have 70 percent of my hit points left.
16:02 You begin casting Shock of Flame.
16:02 Jonarab begins to cast a spell.
16:04 aqua goblin bosun was hit by non-melee for 92 points of damage.
16:04 Aqua goblin bosun's skin ignites.
16:05 Taunting Attacker Master.
16:06 I have 70 percent of my hit points left.
16:07 Aqua goblin bosun hits Jonarab for 14 points of damage.
16:07 Aqua goblin bosun hits Jonarab for 4 points of damage.
16:08 You begin casting Shock of Flame.As you see here, even after casting the damage shield, the next /pet report health only returned a value of hitpoints in %.

Later on, it turned into this.

http://i43.tinypic.com/11qplz9.jpg

And finally... it turned into this.

I have 100 percent of my hit points left.
Spiritual Ascendence 57:24
Growl of the Beast 32:36
Spirit of Irionu 12:12
Hobble of Spirits 19:48
Savage Wildcaller's Blessing 0:42
resources:
http://www.wuphonsreach.org/blog/labels/EverQuest.shtml
my screenshots
http://crucible.samanna.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217
http://forums.beastlords.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=2604.0
http://beastlords.org/index.php?topic=4221.45;wap2

Excision Rottun
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Please leave DoT damange in.

nilbog
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
July 24, 2002 3:00 am

** Pets **

- Pet Resistance Changes: Pets will now use their master's level and resistances when saving against spells cast by NPCs (against PCs pets will use their own resistances and level as they always have) - unless the pet has special resistances, in which case it will use that resistance.
- Altered pet summoning spells so that they always summon the most powerful pet possible, instead of pets within a 5 level range.
- /pet report health now uses the same user defined color as spell text.
- /pet report health will now display a list of the effects on the pet.
- Mage fire pets should now cast their damage shields more often.
- Wizard, Druid and Cleric pets and familiars can now be buffed by characters other than their owner.

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=331&p=6060

Tudana
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
July 24, 2002 3:00 am

** Pets **

- Pet Resistance Changes: Pets will now use their master's level and resistances when saving against spells cast by NPCs (against PCs pets will use their own resistances and level as they always have) - unless the pet has special resistances, in which case it will use that resistance.
- Altered pet summoning spells so that they always summon the most powerful pet possible, instead of pets within a 5 level range.
- /pet report health now uses the same user defined color as spell text.
- /pet report health will now display a list of the effects on the pet.
- Mage fire pets should now cast their damage shields more often.
- Wizard, Druid and Cleric pets and familiars can now be buffed by characters other than their owner.

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=331&p=6060

Interesting, this is also happening now in classic P1999 - is it going to be removed?

nilbog
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Interesting, this is also happening now in classic P1999 - is it going to be removed?

Are there wizard, cleric, or druid pets running around? If so, lemme know

Shamaeso
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Skin like Wood, 24s
Spirit of Wolf, 4m

This is how i remembered it,

Zordana
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Skin like Wood, 24s
Spirit of Wolf, 4m

i remember it like this too, just without the time left on the buffs

nilbog
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
In July of 2002. :P

Haynar
05-06-2010, 11:06 PM
My primary role on raids with my shaman was slowing.

I lived with an egg timer next to the computer.

Haynar

Uaellaen
05-07-2010, 04:57 AM
yeah i have to agree ...

pet report health only reported the % of its hitpoints at first, then was changed to showing buffs, and the 3rd stage i didnt care since we got pretty pictures in our pet window ;) so never noticed it ...

as to the wore off messages ... the YELLOW wore off messages were not in game at all for quite some while ...

where as EMOTES like Your feet become entwined. is entwined by roots. The roots fall from your feet. were in game, but they were simple EMOTES and everyone could see them as far as i can remember ...

dot damage displayed should be removed, not classic ...

Yellow
05-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I am really liking the consistency and the progression with each of these patches. Keep up the great work.

Zordana
05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Rogean: Spam Prevention: Players level 1-4 can only send 1 message into OOC and Auc 3 times per minute. Players over level 4 can send 10 messages per minute.

we have the spammer now annoying us with only 1 message a minute..
how about dont allow certain badwords in OOC/auction?
if the sentence contains one of the badwords, it will get rejected.

Kerrik
05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
we have the spammer now annoying us with only 1 message a minute..
how about dont allow certain badwords in OOC/auction?
if the sentence contains one of the badwords, it will get rejected.

Unfortunately trolls and spammers will always find some way around filters, even if they have to split the "bad" words up or misspell them. The only way to completely prevent spamming is to remove chat entirely, since even restricting it to single zone allows a spammer to spam that zone. I'd say 1 message per minute is a low enough threshold to be able to ignore idiots, without resorting to constantly nerfing legitimate uses for chat as well as the spammers.

3shirtlessmen
05-07-2010, 06:04 PM
We could always have GLOBAL /ooc accept messages from characters above level 4 or 5.

moebius8
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
reported dot damage was added into the patch of june 11 2003.

dot duration ending messages have been in the game since launch. they did make sure ALL dots reported correctly in 2005 which wasnt the case previously.

the patch of sept 26th 2002 included this line

The "Your XXX Spell Has Worn Off" messages for DoT spells will now go
to the right character.

that certainly implies they were in previously however buggy

after spending most of a shift reading patch messages between actual work i can say there are no other patch messages between launch and dec 2007 that mention dot duration reporting other than the few already referenced.

PhilPhans
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM

how many entries in that 10 gig log do you have me grabbing peoples butts?

postmoderntease0
05-11-2010, 03:23 AM
On the one hand:

DoTs were very literally the *only* type of offensive damage that wasn't reported. It might seem absurd for Verant (and p1999) to not have DoT damage in the mix.

On the other hand:

There was a good reason for it. The DoT damage had a variable duration and total damage was based on whether the MoB was running or not, so it made sense not to list damage, as it was never going to even necessarily last the same number of ticks per casting, depending on how much (and what type of) running the enemy did, nor would it necessarily do the same damage per tick based on the same factor-- the type and amount of running the MoB was doing:

September 13, 1999...
...DoT Changes:
- If the monster is in melee with you, there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
- If the monster is running away from you (fear, wounded, etc.), there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
- If the monster is moving when the damage from the DoT is applied (happens every few seconds), it will take 66% of the damage that it would have taken.
- DoT spells have all had their duration slightly increased. If the monster moves for 18 seconds during a fight, it will take as much damage from the DoT as it would before the patch. If the monster moves for less then 18 seconds during a fight, your DoT will do more damage
than it would have done before the patch. If the monster moves more than 18 seconds during the fight, it will take less damage than it would have before the patch.

Yes, it makes it easier and more 'manageable' to have DoT damage listed per tick, but that's the whole freaking point. Those spells and their respective damage figures were supposed to be somewhat variable and unpredictable. It forced you to learn to play your class well, if you depended on debuffs and DoTs, because you had to really keep track of what you were doing. You didn't fzck around. You paid attention.

This is one of the reasons I love this server so much, and its players-- they want to do things the old way, because stuff wasn't handed to you then. They tend *not* to prefer WoWers, because before WoW, in EQ, the would-be-WoWers were the ones you added to your shitlist for *not* knowing their class and screwing the group over. Or else they were the ones who were such horrible powergamers that all they cared about was end-game raiding, rather than the experience that led to the end-game; those ones were almost worse, because they gave not two shits about other players *coughFOHcough*, they cared about parsing and maxing dps instead.

Contrastingly, the unknown element *forces* people to play the game more carefully, and that necessarily benefits the community and the entire game. This is especially important with matters like spells and combat, because these were facets of the game that affected everyone, not just one guy playing. If, for example, they made the 'combine' buttons destroy everything in the tradeskill bags, that's just annoying one person. No one in the group is going to die because Joey Leet wasn't careful about not hitting that combine button-- the combine button has nothing to do with Joey Leet failing to learn his goddamn class, casting fear in the middle of a dungeon, and train-wiping half the zone because he wasn't keeping track of snare.

I, at least, would request that you please remove damage over time messages until such time when they were implemented in Live. I still use the clock to keep track of DoTs and debuffs, especially when stacking them, because damage-per-tick spam gets completely lost in the 49 other things I'm trying to do in the middle of combat. I don't have time to sit there and count the number of damage ticks that get displayed, and if you do, then you're obviously not paying enough attention to everything else you should. Whereas, because I learned to play the game before the DoT info was added, all I have to do at any given point during a battle, is glance at the time to see if I need to recast anything, because I was keeping up with shit rather than letting the game do it for me. Because, when the game was new, if you didn't do that, you substantially decreased your odds of survival.

But, that's just my opinion. Parsing has other purposes than maxing dps on this server.

/rantsauce

Omnimorph
05-11-2010, 04:43 AM
I sort of agree with that.

BuzWeaver
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
On the one hand:

DoTs were very literally the *only* type of offensive damage that wasn't reported. It might seem absurd for Verant (and p1999) to not have DoT damage in the mix.

On the other hand:

There was a good reason for it. The DoT damage had a variable duration and total damage was based on whether the MoB was running or not, so it made sense not to list damage, as it was never going to even necessarily last the same number of ticks per casting, depending on how much (and what type of) running the enemy did, nor would it necessarily do the same damage per tick based on the same factor-- the type and amount of running the MoB was doing:

Yes, it makes it easier and more 'manageable' to have DoT damage listed per tick, but that's the whole freaking point. Those spells and their respective damage figures were supposed to be somewhat variable and unpredictable. It forced you to learn to play your class well, if you depended on debuffs and DoTs, because you had to really keep track of what you were doing. You didn't fzck around. You paid attention.

This is one of the reasons I love this server so much, and its players-- they want to do things the old way, because stuff wasn't handed to you then. They tend *not* to prefer WoWers, because before WoW, in EQ, the would-be-WoWers were the ones you added to your shitlist for *not* knowing their class and screwing the group over. Or else they were the ones who were such horrible powergamers that all they cared about was end-game raiding, rather than the experience that led to the end-game; those ones were almost worse, because they gave not two shits about other players *coughFOHcough*, they cared about parsing and maxing dps instead.

Contrastingly, the unknown element *forces* people to play the game more carefully, and that necessarily benefits the community and the entire game. This is especially important with matters like spells and combat, because these were facets of the game that affected everyone, not just one guy playing. If, for example, they made the 'combine' buttons destroy everything in the tradeskill bags, that's just annoying one person. No one in the group is going to die because Joey Leet wasn't careful about not hitting that combine button-- the combine button has nothing to do with Joey Leet failing to learn his goddamn class, casting fear in the middle of a dungeon, and train-wiping half the zone because he wasn't keeping track of snare.

I, at least, would request that you please remove damage over time messages until such time when they were implemented in Live. I still use the clock to keep track of DoTs and debuffs, especially when stacking them, because damage-per-tick spam gets completely lost in the 49 other things I'm trying to do in the middle of combat. I don't have time to sit there and count the number of damage ticks that get displayed, and if you do, then you're obviously not paying enough attention to everything else you should. Whereas, because I learned to play the game before the DoT info was added, all I have to do at any given point during a battle, is glance at the time to see if I need to recast anything, because I was keeping up with shit rather than letting the game do it for me. Because, when the game was new, if you didn't do that, you substantially decreased your odds of survival.

But, that's just my opinion. Parsing has other purposes than maxing dps on this server.

/rantsauce

I respect and understand your point, although I don't necessarily agree with the analogy. How someone plays wouldn't necessarily be determined on whether or not they can see DoT damage or Spell duration. I'd go out on a limb here and say that a majority of the people playing on the Project are experienced players.

The common mantra is "this is the old school way" and in turn people are trying to subscribe to the idea that anything out-side of that framework diminishes the game. Whether I can or can't see DoT Damage, Spell duration or even have miss-combines just doesn't detract from my experience. The bottom line is, is the game fun.

Phallax
05-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Are we going to get a worn off msg for "detrimal" spells this next patch? I know they existed at least in kunark because I use to Tigirs Insect(AOE slow) packs of mobs then 1 by 1 slow them watching when tigirs wore off to know they were all slowed at a higher %