PDA

View Full Version : To pair up with enc?

Nogdar
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Hello folks,

Finally convinced my best friend to give p99 a try, and he's gonna be playing an enchanter. I know for duo a druid would be the top, but I happen not to be all that fond of them. The 3 classes I love are Monk, Shaman and Shadowknight. Of these 3, which would be the "less worse" to pair up with an enc? I know it's far from optimal but well... ;) I'd also possibly be willing to play a ranger, would that be really better than any of the 3 others? In both cases, what's the best bet of these proposals?

Thanks for your tips & suggestions ;)

Dagorn

Malrubius
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Hello folks,

Finally convinced my best friend to give p99 a try, and he's gonna be playing an enchanter. I know for duo a druid would be the top, but I happen not to be all that fond of them. The 3 classes I love are Monk, Shaman and Shadowknight. Of these 3, which would be the "less worse" to pair up with an enc? I know it's far from optimal but well... ;) I'd also possibly be willing to play a ranger, would that be really better than any of the 3 others? In both cases, what's the best bet of these proposals?

Thanks for your tips & suggestions ;)

Dagorn

Any of them will work, but I would vote for SK, since you have a real tank with real hps, and excellent aggro holding ability (which is important with a tashing/slowing chanter). The SK is perma-hasted to boot. Not to mention the SK's dot/snare.

Monk would be second, again because haste/slow makes a Monk do sick damage and take not so much damage. Best puller + chanter CC could work well in dungeons too.

Shaman are great, but their haste/slow abilities are almost identical to a chanter's, so you kind of are duplicating their respective bread-and-butter.

Qadosx
04-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Of the three choices of classes you love to play, winner hands down is Shaman.

Ranger would help with finding phat loots in dungeons via track but the enchanter would have to be very good and not depend on your awful heals.

Vermicelli
04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Do yall have a gameplan of how you expect to grind xp? Druids make such a good pairing with Enchanters because they allow the duo to fear kite using their Snare and the chanter's Fear, and they also bring DPS to the duo in the form of DoT's and charmed animals. This form of fear kiting is very mana-efficient and requires little, if any, downtime except waiting for respawns. I feel that the thing to keep in mind is that if you are duoing without a healer, you don't want either player to be taking noticeable damage because that will greatly limit your efficiency. Out of all the classes you listed, I too would suggest the Shadow Knight with an intent to fear kite.

Malrubius
04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Fear kite is an option, but then an SK can fear kite just fine without any help from a chanter.

Nogdar
04-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Well thanks for the insight people, interesting stuff.
My friend started up last night and not having any answer yet I went on thinking and opted in for a Ranger. We got to lvl 5, so no biggie if I have to start over, and got a lvl 19 SK I stripped to twink the ranger.

I'll give out my reasoning behind the different options, tell me what I am missing or whether it's not so stupid.

1) With an SK, the good part is that SK takes great advantage of Breeze line AND haste line of spells, and having a tank is nice, + the fear kiting option ; HOWEVER, there is no heal here and waiting for an Ogre SK to get his hp back can really be long. When we were youngters, we played SK and cleric and we'd like to minimize the downtime because with such a combo it was as you'd imagine just horrible. Terrible dps and then waiting for cleric regen, lose all hp to kill a mob and start over -_-

2) With the Monk, being an Iksar + stuff like mend and better dps would make grinding a nicer experience with less downtime I guess than with the SK in spite of not having any heals either... And is it not a shame not to have a mana bar, being paired with a chanter?

3) With the shammie, I guess the good side is great benefit for the shaman from the chanter buffs haste/breeze, however, the chanter doesn't give a crap about 90% of the shammie buffs (though SoW is priceless), the debuffs overlap really and although heals/regen/mana regen would really be covered there, we'd really be lacking a tank wouldn't we?

4) And finally the ranger, for which I went with solo quick-thinking (and loving it so far) thinking that if enc/drood is da imba shit it must be OKAY with a ranger since it s the same line of spells. Even if we're not talking about real druid magic, the utility with SoW and stuff later on can really be sweet, can somewhat do ok as a tank when needed, can play with fear+snare like druid/enc, will benefit from haste & good dps, and the although-crappy-heals + breeze should minimize seizably downtime.

Am I thinking right and seen like this Ranger probably is the best option of the 4 classes I like, or have I got it all wrong?

Once again thanks a lot for the insight/suggestions/comments and any further thinking will be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Dagorn

Malrubius
04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Well thanks for the insight people, interesting stuff.
My friend started up last night and not having any answer yet I went on thinking and opted in for a Ranger. We got to lvl 5, so no biggie if I have to start over, and got a lvl 19 SK I stripped to twink the ranger.

I'll give out my reasoning behind the different options, tell me what I am missing or whether it's not so stupid.

1) With an SK, the good part is that SK takes great advantage of Breeze line AND haste line of spells, and having a tank is nice, + the fear kiting option ; HOWEVER, there is no heal here and waiting for an Ogre SK to get his hp back can really be long. When we were youngters, we played SK and cleric and we'd like to minimize the downtime because with such a combo it was as you'd imagine just horrible. Terrible dps and then waiting for cleric regen, lose all hp to kill a mob and start over -_-

2) With the Monk, being an Iksar + stuff like mend and better dps would make grinding a nicer experience with less downtime I guess than with the SK in spite of not having any heals either... And is it not a shame not to have a mana bar, being paired with a chanter?

3) With the shammie, I guess the good side is great benefit for the shaman from the chanter buffs haste/breeze, however, the chanter doesn't give a crap about 90% of the shammie buffs (though SoW is priceless), the debuffs overlap really and although heals/regen/mana regen would really be covered there, we'd really be lacking a tank wouldn't we?

4) And finally the ranger, for which I went with solo quick-thinking (and loving it so far) thinking that if enc/drood is da imba shit it must be OKAY with a ranger since it s the same line of spells. Even if we're not talking about real druid magic, the utility with SoW and stuff later on can really be sweet, can somewhat do ok as a tank when needed, can play with fear+snare like druid/enc, will benefit from haste & good dps, and the although-crappy-heals + breeze should minimize seizably downtime.

Am I thinking right and seen like this Ranger probably is the best option of the 4 classes I like, or have I got it all wrong?

Once again thanks a lot for the insight/suggestions/comments and any further thinking will be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Dagorn

Basically, as long as you are having fun, no need to look back.

But since you asked, I think Ranger is not going to be as good (to pair with a chanter) as any of the other three.

SK is the only tank in the list. This counts for a lot. And with the best haste in the game and second best slow in the game, heals are going to be less important. A Troll SK also would give you regen which lessens the downtime even more.

A hasted monk is sick. Along with slowed mobs, mend, and Bind Wound, you would have very little downtime here too. So what if they have no mana bar? I think you are thinking "Chanter means Clarity". This is not the case. Clarity is a very small "nice-to-have" compared to what chanters really bring to the table. Besides, SKs and Rangers don't benefit much from Clarity either.

Shaman is great. But arguably their biggest skills (haste and slow) are almost exactly duplicated by chanters.

A Ranger is definitely not a tank either. A Shaman and a Monk tank about as well as a Ranger.

Bottom line (imo) - if you want a tank (and you probably do), go SK. If you don't, go Monk or Shammy. If you want to have fun, pick whatever (including Ranger).

Nogdar
04-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Hey Malrubius,

Thanks a lot for your time and all those insightful comments. I still haven't managed to really make up my mind, torn between the different loveable options hehe. I guess I'll keep on with the ranger until we reach the lvl of my SK and then I'll probably switch back to the SK, we'll see :)

Take care and see you around :)

Dagorn

Klyre
04-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Personally I would agree with a Shaman choice. While you are doubling up on slows and speed buffs the lack of serious heals will hurt your downtime the most and with the chanters Clarity line and the Shaman Cani line you should never be wanting for heals.
As for tanks and the lack thereof the Shamen will get a pet, and the chanter will have his animation. Bu the true power of this combination will be Charming. There is no better Tank then a Charmed pet and the biggest problem with this is breakage and Chanter death. But with the Shaman there he is able to root and heal while the chanter recontrols if necessary.
The only drawback to this combination (In my opinion) is the lack of snarability and not being able to fear kite. Small price to pay with nonstop killing ability that this combo can do.
Druids can do it better but that's not one of the options you asked for.

Deverell
04-22-2012, 01:09 AM
No class will pull their weight in a chanter duo except druid and cleric. Others can function, but their contribution won't be worth the 50% exp they take, especially not if you then have to adopt a poor strategy for them to have anything to do at all. Forget about trying to tank stuff without a healer, forget about fear-kiting just because it's the only way the other half of the duo has a purpose. Bring a class that compliments the enchanter or you might as well play a different duo altogether.

Shaman has too much overlap and waste. You won't need any of the stat buffs, you won't need the haste or slow, you can't help the enchanter very much and there's just no real synergy. You can heal and I guess help a little with damage, that's pretty much it. It'll function, but both classes would be better off alone.

Clerics have CH which helps a lot with keeping a charmed mob alive, they tend to have thousands of hp and that's difficult to keep topped off with any other healer. Their huge hp buffs are also great for the enchanter who's gonna take a beating now and then. Stuns are great for handling charm breaks. Druids can ensnare the charmed mob which helps so much with keeping it under control, their heals are sufficient, SoW/evac/port is super convenient, and tracking is nice for dungeon farming. If healing isn't needed, a druid can do okay DPS with permacrack.

mwatt
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
No class will pull their weight in a chanter duo except druid and cleric. Others can function, but their contribution won't be worth the 50% exp they take, especially not if you then have to adopt a poor strategy for them to have anything to do at all. Forget about trying to tank stuff without a healer, forget about fear-kiting just because it's the only way the other half of the duo has a purpose. Bring a class that compliments the enchanter or you might as well play a different duo altogether.

Shaman has too much overlap and waste. You won't need any of the stat buffs, you won't need the haste or slow, you can't help the enchanter very much and there's just no real synergy. You can heal and I guess help a little with damage, that's pretty much it. It'll function, but both classes would be better off alone.

Clerics have CH which helps a lot with keeping a charmed mob alive, they tend to have thousands of hp and that's difficult to keep topped off with any other healer. Their huge hp buffs are also great for the enchanter who's gonna take a beating now and then. Stuns are great for handling charm breaks. Druids can ensnare the charmed mob which helps so much with keeping it under control, their heals are sufficient, SoW/evac/port is super convenient, and tracking is nice for dungeon farming. If healing isn't needed, a druid can do okay DPS with permacrack.

Deverell is pretty much spot on here, as he usually is (from what I've seen so far anyway).

I would add that the Druid is in my opinion is a better option than the cleric. Main reason is snare, but you have to throw in the travel ability as well as decent DPS. To stack up against that the cleric offers rezes (eventually), better buffing, better healing and stuns (though most Enchanters will keep a stun loaded for charm breaks anyway). I think the Druid advantages are better for a Chanter. From a Druid's point of view, perma-clarity is a complete outright win.

btw, if ever a tank is needed, chanter simply charms a mob. SK only really provides a snare then (and one that breaks mezzes to boot), which the Druid of course also provides.

Nogdar
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Hey,

Yeah, I guess it does make sense. I'm tinkering a bit with each of these classes atm to see what seems to work best, and will sure keep in mind all of what you all said. Thanks a lot to all of you for your contribution, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dagorn

dhoushi
04-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah Druid for sure. The snare gives you enough control over charmed pets you can buff them up with haste and other nasty things and not worry about them gimping the enchanter.