PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new here, thinking about rolling a rogue.

Van
08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Hello, I'm new to Everquest in general. I've been trying to read various guides and forum posts about how to make a rogue, but some of the stuff seems to contradict itself.

The rogue page on the wiki says to put 25 points of stamina for all characters while Zerk's Rogue Guide also on the wiki says it's "un-needed". Also, a post in the "Rogue: Which class, deity?" thread, and the rogue page on the wiki, seems to recommend a Dwarf among other races while the same guide that was mentioned earlier does not recommend it and would have picked a Wood Elf instead.

Did I mess up in rolling a Dwarf with 25 Stamina, 5 agility? On a side note, do I need to have the trainer put a point into sneak before I can use and earn more points in that skill?

theaetatus
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
You should be able to use Sneak and Hide from level 1, if I remember right. Either open your Abilities window with Ctrl-O and going to the appropriate tab then right-clicking a button and assigning Hide or Sneak then dragging over to a hotbar, or go to Skills and make a hotkey for it.

As for race etc, I'd recommend going Barbarian as you get Slam and great starting stats. Stick your points in str and dex, you're not meant to be tanking ;)

Raavak
08-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah, str is probably your main stat because it affects your dps, which is your main job. Dex helps you with procs (?right?)

Race matters some, but play what you like. Even starting stats aren't going to make or break you.

Hide-sneak fails alot at low levels. You need to successfully hide (not too hard) and then sneak (fails alot at lvl 1). If you fail you need to rehide, then try to sneak again when it refreshes.

falkun
08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
From a min/max point of view, you messed up by putting stats into AGI. Stat priority for a rogue is Haste > STR > STA >>>>> DEX > AGI.

STA is only as high as it is due to hps for raid AoEs, so if you are not a raider, STA drops to much less important than STR, but still more important than Dex. Your DPS is about 80% haste (equipped and spell), 15% STR (how hard you can hit), and 5% Dex (modifies your chances at scoring the heavy hits slightly). STA is important because living with less DPS is better than being dead and providing zero DPS.

If you plan to raid, I suggest 25STA/5STR.
If you plan on playing around in groups mostly, I suggest 25STR/5STA.

With that said, stats are fairly marginal in this game and everyone will cap out melee stats with Velious buffs and gear anyways, so starting stats won't matter as much.

Estu
08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
It should also be noted that STR is one of the easiest stats to raise through buffs and equipment, so people often give it a lower priority as a starting stat.

Tecmos Deception
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
STA is only as high as it is due to hps for raid AoEs, so if you are not a raider, STA drops to much less important than STR, but still more important than Dex. Your DPS is about 80% haste (equipped and spell), 15% STR (how hard you can hit), and 5% Dex (modifies your chances at scoring the heavy hits slightly).

Damn. Really?

A 100-strength rogue at haste cap is going to do 85% of the damage a 255-strength rogue at haste cap will do?

That's going to be a lot of attack. More than avatar, right?

godbox
09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
fact: 99.9% of all p99 facts are made up

and to any future people who do read this thread do not read zerks rouge guide it is awful.
theres so much misinformation about in it. "agility is the mother of all stats for a rogue" we should really petition to have it removed from wiki imo
he also suggests tha:
wisdon and int are not trivial stats for rogues because of their effect on resistances and skill learning
using instill doubt in dungeons
and my favorite regarding sta "you may want to add a point or two here...but it is toatally uneeded in my opinion"

Theta
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, the P99 Wiki guides definitely need some cleaning up.

Raavak
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
It should also be noted that STR is one of the easiest stats to raise through buffs and equipment, so people often give it a lower priority as a starting stat.
What I read is STR is easy to raise and STA is hard to raise. If you take end-game gear into account, plus avatar and other buffs, what should one target their naked STR to be? Or is it inconsequential.

Estu
09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
we should really petition to have it removed from wiki imo

It's a wiki. Don't petition to have it removed - just remove it.

falkun
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
What I read is STR is easy to raise and STA is hard to raise. If you take end-game gear into account, plus avatar and other buffs, what should one target their naked STR to be? Or is it inconsequential.

Avatar is 100STR and the max level STR buff is 68STR. That's 168STR from buffs, the cap is 255, and virtually all races start with at least 80 STR. Basically, naked, you can be at 255STR. STA is much more difficult to cap out.

Now the numbers of Avatar rogues will probably be fairly slim on this server assuming the raiding scene stays the same in Velious as it is now.