PDA

View Full Version : Review of Kunark/EQ in 2000

stormlord
11-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Here it's:
http://www.thecomputershow.com/computershow/reviews/everquestkunark.htm

You think he just had a bad time or do you think he was kind of right?

Here're my thoughts:

1) Jboots were not essential for survival. If you had someone in your group that could cast sow then that was fine. If they could snare, it acheived the same effect. If they could root or mez, same. Not really a necessity unless you solo.

2) He complains that mobs shouldn't increase in stats as you level, thus making them more difficult. Why? Isn't that how it has always been? If you don't gear up your character properly, you shouldn't do well. If you still have on cloth armour from level 5, and you're level 30, you SHOULD get your butt handed to you. If anything, he leveled up too fast and wasn't properly geared.

3) He complains about monsters roaming in open zones and that this creates an uncessary hazard for the group. Why? This was an essential danger element. PLayers had to watch eachothers back to see what was there and warn the rest of the group when a mob was coming. He's right that warping could be a serious problem, but warping doesn't happen as much as he says it does (i don't remember mobs warping that much, i was on dialup). Maybe he had a bad connection. These days I have dsl.

4) He complains about losing lots of time because casters can't reach him easily when he dies. I actually agree with him here. I wish the bind/gate/teleport system had been expanded on rather than shelved. Players wanted more flexibility in the system, but verant/soe stubbornly stuck with the original model and then when the time came that it HAD to change, they simply added luclin spires/pok books/guild hall portals/aa origin rather than being gutsy and letting players govern travel on their own (with a revamped binding system).

5) He compared daiblo II to everquest. Ack! I've loved playing diablo II just like him. But the games are different! Saying dialbo II is an rpg and has good character development is so ludicrously insane. Have to see it to believe it! OMG. Diablo II is an action game. It has no persistance like everquest. No factions. Few quests. Lacks detail. It's too simple. What a joke! On the other hand, I do agree that it's easy to lose sight of the lore and how this lore connects on a meaningful scale to the character. In this respect, I would agree with him. I wish they had found a better way to teach the player the lore and story without making it too camp heavy.

6) He says verant discourages camping. This is true. They make it painful and long. I'd have to agree with him. That's why I never camped. I just bought items from people that auctioned them in the zone. Overall, I side with him on this point. The whole problem with eq over all these years has been that, while camping IS discouraged, it tends to be the only way to get the best gear/progression. For those that can stomach the camping, they sell it to those who can't (like me). I wish that everquest 3 found a way to get rid of camping, but to keep the challenge and sense of immersion that was in eq classic (without instances). Camping is boring, very boring.

7) He shouldn't name everquest evercrack. All mmorpgs are like crack. He should name it evercamp. That's more appropriate.

8) This guy must be cramped or very serious constipation. Maybe he had an ulcer. He needs to take a break.

9) I think he played on pvp servers too much? Seems like it. He never stops complaining and doesn't say anything good.

Reiker
11-15-2009, 01:49 AM
tldr

Dolalin
11-15-2009, 01:57 AM
This guy is an old-school EQ addict. He's pissed because aspects of Verant's game design were getting in the way of his progression "fix".

Most of the complaints are about key limitations of the genre. Seriously. Yes, you have to play with strangers, guy.

Reiker
11-15-2009, 02:15 AM
I never play with strangers, they're... strange!

Bubbles
11-15-2009, 03:01 AM
B-but... Strangers have candy! :o

stormlord
11-15-2009, 03:06 AM
So i guess most of you think he's constipated. :/

Bubbles
11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
I think one of the common themes of old school EQ is those who played caster-type classic generally have much fonder memories of how balanced and awesome EQ was than most of the melee/hybrid classes did.

And no wonder.

But I can't even entertain the notion that Kunark was anything *but* the golden age of EQ when everything was warm and fuzzy and there was enough meaningful high end content to go around to satiate the higher end player population.

Now some of you who stuck around through Veilous might have a bit to say of Veilous being the true Golden Age, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that sentiment either.

But seriously, anyone claiming Kunark is when EQ started sliding downhill has issues. And you could easily argue the author of that article wasn't primarily an EQ player to begin with. Sounds more like a disgruntles DAOC/UO guy with a 2-bit job using his platform to bash EQ.

stormlord
11-15-2009, 06:17 AM
I think one of the common themes of old school EQ is those who played caster-type classic generally have much fonder memories of how balanced and awesome EQ was than most of the melee/hybrid classes did.

And no wonder.

But I can't even entertain the notion that Kunark was anything *but* the golden age of EQ when everything was warm and fuzzy and there was enough meaningful high end content to go around to satiate the higher end player population.

Now some of you who stuck around through Veilous might have a bit to say of Veilous being the true Golden Age, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that sentiment either.

But seriously, anyone claiming Kunark is when EQ started sliding downhill has issues. And you could easily argue the author of that article wasn't primarily an EQ player to begin with. Sounds more like a disgruntles DAOC/UO guy with a 2-bit job using his platform to bash EQ.

I kind of agree with your feelings on this. I played a ranger, but in many ways rangers are much more flexible than pure melees. We got track for direction and finding appropriately conned targets, we got our own line of snares/heals/ds's/movement buffs/dots/etc, we got sneak/hide, we got camo and superior camo for invising in tight spots, and so on. If I had played a pure melee, I think my memories of those days would have been darker.

blumpster
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
They were different expansions so I'm sure they appealed to different people. Kunark added a lot for everyone, where as the bulk of Velious was all raid content...and everything was for high levels. So for some who never level'd to max and played alts all day or something I'm sure Kunark was the better expansion for them. I think they are both incredible, but Velious I have fonder memories of. I love winter time.

Jify
11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
B-but... Strangers have candy! :o

I<3bubz

Dolalin
11-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Before Kunark is released (I understand this is in the future a ways), we should look at expanding the playerbase on the server a good bit. Lots of new zones is gonna mean people more thinly spread out. In 2000 that was fine, there were 110ppl in Lower Guk every day. Not so much when there's 110ppl on the whole server most afternoons :P

FatMagic
11-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Before Kunark is released (I understand this is in the future a ways), we should look at expanding the playerbase on the server a good bit. Lots of new zones is gonna mean people more thinly spread out. In 2000 that was fine, there were 110ppl in Lower Guk every day. Not so much when there's 110ppl on the whole server most afternoons :P

Very much agree with this! Would hate to see all the classic zone population go poof.

Halladar
11-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah but people always seem to go to the best zones. My guess is that at any given level range you are going to only see one or (maybe) two zones that have any population.

Look at permafrost. I can't think of any time that has been used very much. It is pretty easy to get to from Halas, but except for raids pretty much the only people that ever went there even in the high population era were people farming things.

I think you can make a list of about 10 zones right now, and after Kunark is released about 70% of the server population will be in one of them at any given time.

I think that only a small part of the content is going to be used by a lot of people, though I'm sure the karanas and rathe mountains will have a lot of druids kiting norrath's piggy banks (giants).