PDA

View Full Version : New Mage

Kodim
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
So, I'm new to Everquest and Mage entirely. I have a few questions that I'm unsure of, and general advice that is helpful.

Currently 17 Gnome Mage, and the Nybright Sisters is my current income. Should I be saving up for something, or trying to get geared at all? When I join a party, everyone is so geared out, that it's rather embarrassing. I have kept up on my spells, however.

Any other general advice that would greatly benefit someone freshly new to EQ (and Mage) would be much appreciated.

Splorf22
11-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Just buy a FBR and go naked under it!

falkun
11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
5/55hp rings (http://wiki.project1999.org/Platinum_Fire_Wedding_Ring). The cheapest 100hps you will ever buy, and better return on the inventory slot than any other item you could put there, especially for a noobie. 200-250p/each.

Furniture
11-07-2012, 03:49 PM
At such a low level don't worry about saving up for gear as its very tough to make money, but as a mage you really don't need good gear, save your money for spells because soon you will have to deal with research spells, the people you see with gear certainly did not get that gear with a level 17, don't worry so much about it at your level, if you want to start finding gear to save up for check out the wiki, they have listings for every slot per class, if u need help send me a pm here or in game

Phinger
11-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah don't worry about gear; mages are not dependent on gear hardly at all. Save up for spells, and even then only buy the ones you need. Don't worry about others being geared, most people here have played for months and years already. Welcome to the server...let me know if you need a hand with something and if i can, I'll help you out.

Kodim
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm slowly getting the hang of things. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't falling behind, or being a burden on parties.

Bubbles
11-08-2012, 03:32 AM
You bring jobaber, damage shields, burst dps, and summoned pet weaps and food n' water to the table. You'd do the same in 50k worth of gear or 2 plats worth of malachite/lls. :)

Fret not about whats under your robe, it's your spell book that counts.

Estu
11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
How has no one mentioned focus items? The one piece of equipment actually extremely useful for a mage?

Kodim
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
How has no one mentioned focus items? The one piece of equipment actually extremely useful for a mage?

Like Torch of Alna and whatnot? I know of them, but not sure when to go about getting the quest items. I'm sure not for awhile though.

However, a mate ingame saw my post and has given my 2 of those HP rings, and a Runed Circlet. Then when I find the Sisters uncamped, I'll try obtaining a FBR or some robe.

I feel like I've crammed so much EQ in my head, and still have so much more to learn. Everyone here is extremely helpful.

Estu
11-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Like Torch of Alna and whatnot? I know of them, but not sure when to go about getting the quest items. I'm sure not for awhile though.

However, a mate ingame saw my post and has given my 2 of those HP rings, and a Runed Circlet. Then when I find the Sisters uncamped, I'll try obtaining a FBR or some robe.

I feel like I've crammed so much EQ in my head, and still have so much more to learn. Everyone here is extremely helpful.

You can buy the items individually from people and do the quest at any level - I had a torch of alna at level 1 on my mage because I farmed or bought the components on other characters. If you look up the quests on the wiki you can see the items required, their prices in EC, and the level recommendations to do the quest yourself.

Splorf22
11-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I think the focus items only give more hp? (and of course make the pets physically larger). So for groups they shouldn't be that important. At 50+ you'll want a staff of elemental mastery:water but that's a ways off.

Most of the focus item quests are fairly easy except for the giant toes. I think at ~30 you could farm Gornit in OOT though.

Check out the wiki, it has a lot of great info.

Heavydrop
11-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Most of the focus item quests are fairly easy except for the giant toes. I think at ~30 you could farm Gornit in OOT though

Check vendors. I found all the toes I ever needed on different ones and
I still see them there.
I had all 4 of my mage's focus items by the mid and early 20's