PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bard Instruments.

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 01:23 PM
So far I've been able to play every song just by singing, even the ones that say they require an instrument, like Hymn of Restoration. I have 4 instruments in my backpack but none of them are seeing any use. So mainly my question is how exactly do they affect a song? If I were to use a lute to play Hymn of Restoration instead of just singing it, would it heal more? Are there songs that absolutely require an instrument to use?

Also, when/if I acquire the Singing Short Sword, will I ever need to carry instruments with me again?

Thank you very much for your time and insight; I appreciate it.

Kope
11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
So far I've been able to play every song just by singing, even the ones that say they require an instrument, like Hymn of Restoration. I have 4 instruments in my backpack but none of them are seeing any use. So mainly my question is how exactly do they affect a song? If I were to use a lute to play Hymn of Restoration instead of just singing it, would it heal more? Are there songs that absolutely require an instrument to use?

Instruments generally enhance the effects of the songs, so yes hymn of restoration heals more with a lute.

There are some songs that require instruments to be played (invis song)

Also, when/if I acquire the Singing Short Sword, will I ever need to carry instruments with me again?

Yes, the singing short sword (I think) is only a 1.5 song modifier. Your instruments at that point should be much more powerful. Singing short sword also works on "singing" types of songs as well though.

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Where are you being told that Hymn of Restoration requires an instrument?

The instrument mod increases certain values of a song's benefit. Equipping a store-bought lute with a 1.8 stringed instrument modifier will increase the regeneration value x1.8. For example if your regen song adds 10hp per tick, having the lute equipped will increase it to 18 per tick.

Not all song effects are modified by the instrument modifier, haste and mana regeneration being the two most notable and often asked examples.

There are songs that require a specific instrument type to equip, such as the invis song and the group dispell. Come to think of it, that might be it.

The only instrument that I 100% banked after epic was wind. The drum and lute still see plenty of action and even the horn gets used often enough that I still keep it around.

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Where are you being told that Hymn of Restoration requires an instrument?

The instrument mod increases certain values of a song's benefit. Equipping a store-bought lute with a 1.8 stringed instrument modifier will increase the regeneration value x1.8. For example if your regen song adds 10hp per tick, having the lute equipped will increase it to 18 per tick.

Not all song effects are modified by the instrument modifier, haste and mana regeneration being the two most notable and often asked examples.

There are songs that require a specific instrument type to equip, such as the invis song and the group dispell. Come to think of it, that might be it.

The only instrument that I 100% banked after epic was wind. The drum and lute still see plenty of action and even the horn gets used often enough that I still keep it around.

So once I get a Party Haste I should pretty much put my weapon away and just play whatever instrument it requires to beef up everyone else?

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I said haste values were specifically not increased by instrument modifiers.

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I said haste values were specifically not increased by instrument modifiers.

Oh, I missed that one. So basically I can just sing haste while I'm fighting, and when the party is on downtime, break out the lute for heals?

Neryn
11-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Oh, I missed that one. So basically I can just sing haste while I'm fighting, and when the party is on downtime, break out the lute for heals?

Yes.

Also, check out this google spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkeXTHUjDTgGdHBIOFpiUzhfT192dkJxTmZMSlp3R 1E

Put in your level and your instruments modifiers. It calculates the new effect of the songs.

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Pretty much. It's a PITA, but you can work on switching out instruments in and out while you're fighting to keep up some melee damage and still have the max song benefits, but that takes some practice and it's not always reasonable to try and do even when you are good at it.

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Does a songs haste stack with an items haste? For example, if I'm wearing FBSS and singing Jonathon's Whistling Warsong, will the two haste values combine and stack?

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Short answer: Yes, worn and song haste will stack.

Long answer (http://wiki.project1999.org/Haste_Guide)

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Tyvm for your time. Hopefully I'll be able to figure these things out as I continue my journey.

I'm wondering though if it's worth it for a bard to be wearing a haste item. I'm wearing FBSS right now but I'm wondering if I'll even need a haste item later. Seems like I'd be able to reach the cap easily with a Celerity song + Dance of the Blade.

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Dance of the Blade is a song/spell type haste that is the same as all of your songs, so the haste portions of those effects will not stack, the highest takes effect.

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
So if I want to hit the haste cap I need a haste item to go along with the SSS?

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 03:58 PM
There are some hair splitting nuances about the specific question of capping 100% haste at level 60 as a bard (not to mention the various level haste caps from 1-60). Example, DotB is 55% and the highest haste item value a bard can get is 41% so you'd need to use Jonthan's Inspiration to actually cap.

But as to what I think you're effectively asking; no, haste items will not really be replaced by any kind of bard song/buff haste.

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 05:01 PM
There are some hair splitting nuances about the specific question of capping 100% haste at level 60 as a bard (not to mention the various level haste caps from 1-60). Example, DotB is 55% and the highest haste item value a bard can get is 41% so you'd need to use Jonthan's Inspiration to actually cap.

But as to what I think you're effectively asking; no, haste items will not really be replaced by any kind of bard song/buff haste.

Alright, I'll keep my FBSS then and work my way up to something better once I'm a higher level and have more money.

Thanks very much for your advice man. I hope that when the time comes for me to quest for my epic, I meet people as nice and helpful as you.

Urbanzkopf
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I hope that when the time comes for me to quest for my epic, I meet people as nice and helpful as you.

Who is gonna break the news to the poor guy :(?

Twilight-Sparkle
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Who is gonna break the news to the poor guy :(?

What are you talking about?

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I am not nice nor helpful. I'm actually rather villainous.

Urbanzkopf
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Aha! I wasn't hinting that at all ;). What I was hinting is that it's not really something that you quest on this server, more something you buy... since the mobs involved are always killed within like 10 seconds of spawn. But that's not to say you can't become a good enough bard to join said guild! Goodluck :)

Arrisard
11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
It's still true!

Anyway, I won't pretend to blow sunshine up anyone's ass and say it's no big deal right now for certain classes' epics on highly contested mobs. The crowding is bad, but, given time it'll either lose demand or more content will come out and I try to have faith that it'll be sooner rather than later :D

Twilight-Sparkle
11-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Aha! I wasn't hinting that at all ;). What I was hinting is that it's not really something that you quest on this server, more something you buy... since the mobs involved are always killed within like 10 seconds of spawn. But that's not to say you can't become a good enough bard to join said guild! Goodluck :)

I heard that the Bard Epic is going to change slightly in Velious, and Trakanon will become a triggered pop via Bard turn-in, making it easier for a Bard to get the drop.

Urbanzkopf
11-10-2012, 04:59 AM
orly? that sounds pretty sweet, hopefully it happens here too :)

Paumad
11-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't have anything to add.

Oh yes. Don't worry about your haste so much, nobody will ever compliment you on your melee damage output, as it is, well, non existant :p You might as well sell the fbss for more hp/ac/resist gear if you need that. If not, I guess a fbss is better than anything!
Good luck out there!

Twilight-Sparkle
11-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Can anyone provide me a list of the multipliers on every instrument in P99?

Sturgeon
11-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I didn't want to make a new thread so I figured this thread would be the best place to ask. But when you're in a group is it better to dual wield and twist songs or is it alright to use instruments and twist for better song output? Wasn't sure what people considered useful or if using instruments is seen as lazy Barding.

Urbanzkopf
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I didn't want to make a new thread so I figured this thread would be the best place to ask. But when you're in a group is it better to dual wield and twist songs or is it alright to use instruments and twist for better song output? Wasn't sure what people considered useful or if using instruments is seen as lazy Barding.

Imo depends on the situation, if you are somewhat the only means to heal in your group, switch to lute in down time and bust that hymn.. However dps wise, you want to be twisting things like haste songs with maybe hymn of resto thrown in or if casters are present a mana regen song... But also dual wielding at the same time as it will provide some damage too.. Whereas an instrument just provides a tiny boost to certain songs and iirc haste songs are singing anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a pro bard, nor do I claim to be one, this could be wrong info!

fastboy21
11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
its good to know the facts about haste, in general...the reality for bard though is that your melee dps kinda stinks, and the benefit from maxing out your haste will be almost unnoticeable unless you are solo'ing very even mobs.

Urbanzkopf
11-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Aye but I was thinking more along the lines of the haste for other party members... And also i'm pretty sure the little dps you can output contributes more than standing there with an instrument :)?

Sturgeon
11-19-2012, 08:46 AM
No one answered my question really lol.

In groups is it alright for a bard to use only instruments to buff songs instead of our shitty weapons. Such as in raids as well do we use instruments or try and hack and slash? It's very simple question lol.

Leveling up I see bards using only instruments in groups and others who use weapons so looking for a neckbeard answer from someone who has played end game Bard and can give legitimate insight.

falkun
11-19-2012, 09:30 AM
For groups:
1) Use a lute in downtime with Hymn/Cantata out of combat for HP regen. Lute does nothing for mana regen.
2) If your group is melee heavy, then twist mana (for healer), haste, HP regen and either DS or STR buff, use weapons.
3) If your group is caster heavy, then twist mana (for casters), haste for tank, and single target DoTs that debuff your caster's resists. If your weapons suck, then put on a drum and do it up, if they are decent, then melee.
4) If fighting caster heavy mobs, twist appropriate resist(s). Also feel free to interrupt w/ mez (mana free stun, its like a 3sec cast bash that can be spammed).
In raids:
Use drum for resists, lute for Cantata/hymn.

Sturgeon
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
For groups:
1) Use a lute in downtime with Hymn/Cantata out of combat for HP regen. Lute does nothing for mana regen.
2) If your group is melee heavy, then twist mana (for healer), haste, HP regen and either DS or STR buff, use weapons.
3) If your group is caster heavy, then twist mana (for casters), haste for tank, and single target DoTs that debuff your caster's resists. If your weapons suck, then put on a drum and do it up, if they are decent, then melee.
In raids:
Use drum for resists, lute for Cantata/hymn.

Thanks love <3 that's what I was looking for.

Urbanzkopf
11-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I kinda did say that just not in bullet points/numbered sentences :P