PDA

View Full Version : Double Attack

gotrocks
11-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Hey folks,

I'm a complete Melee newbie, the most melee combat i participated in on my Shaman on live involved poking things with a spear for the first few levels and then after that i tended to stay away from it for obvious reasons (though I will admit that Shaman's are pretty OP and do far better than they should in Melee).

So now I have an Iksar monk, and am having an absolute blast - he kicks some serious ass. But I do have one big question: How does double attack work?

I know that its essential to our class whether we are dual wielding or not, but how exactly does it function? And how does Dual Wield work? How do skill-ups affect these skills? I really know nothing about either. I have drawn a few conclusions based on watching my combat log very closely, but still feel largely in the dark about whats going on. It seems like the dual wield skill-ups affect how many times i swing my second weapon, but I dont know that for sure. It also seems the higher my double attack skill the more often I swing twice with a weapon. But can i get a double attack on both my main hand and off hand in the same round (effectively giving me 4 attacks in a round)? How does double attack work when using a 2hb?

Two more quick things:
1) Right now im using 2 fighting batons (8/20) weapons in both hands, when I hit 20 I have a wu's quivering staff waiting for me (20/28? i think), using the quivering staff is the clear winner, right? Would appreciate input on that. Also, the staff is quite heavy, and even with the relatively light weight of the fighting batons, I find myself over 14 lbs (or is it 14 stone?) quite often. How important is it to be under 14lbs? Does it affect more than just AC? Do I need to lose some of my heavier gear (for example, iksar scaled gloves weighing 4 whole lbs, or my carrion beetle legggings weighing 3? the rest of my stuff is pretty much all cured silk)

2) whats a good place for a monk to *solo* 19-25ish? Or is it better to just group in unrest?

Thanks in advance for all your help. everyone here seems to know 100x more than I do about DPS classes, so I hope ill get some ansers soon!

Twilight-Sparkle
11-12-2012, 05:01 AM
The higher your dual-wield gets, the more often you will swing with your off-hand weapon. The higher your double-attack gets, the more often you will score two attacks per weapon swing.

gotrocks
11-12-2012, 05:12 AM
The higher your dual-wield gets, the more often you will swing with your off-hand weapon. The higher your double-attack gets, the more often you will score two attacks per weapon swing.

Thanks, but I was hoping for a more detailed answer :p

Any info on my other questions?

Urbanzkopf
11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Not a monk expert here but I will tell what I know. Those gloves are pretty heavy, and in honesty not that great for a monk. (click here for alternatives (http://wiki.project1999.org/Monk#Pre-Planar)) It has been rumoured here that AC is broke, not even going into that discussion or even going to start it, basically the heavier you are you will get a penalty to your ac, quite an important stat for the monk. To test how much heavier takes you down to what AC try changing your money into copper at the bank and try to hit each weight milestone 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. Cured silk is the way to go for a noob monk!

As for solo, try LOIO, near the windmill if you can find that on the wiki map! You will know you are at the right spot when you see Crusader Dezin Patrolling.

Kika Maslyaka
11-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey folks,

I know that its essential to our class whether we are dual wielding or not, but how exactly does it function? And how does Dual Wield work? How do skill-ups affect these skills? I really know nothing about either. I have drawn a few conclusions based on watching my combat log very closely, but still feel largely in the dark about whats going on. It seems like the dual wield skill-ups affect how many times i swing my second weapon, but I dont know that for sure. It also seems the higher my double attack skill the more often I swing twice with a weapon. But can i get a double attack on both my main hand and off hand in the same round (effectively giving me 4 attacks in a round)? How does double attack work when using a 2hb?

on 4x attack. Your chance to score a Double Attack a bit higher than to score a Dual Wield Attack. Each hand calculated separately, so in order to get DA on off hand, first you must get a successful DW check, and then a successful DA check which is like halved for off hand. Overall, you won't see steady 4x attacks until like 40+. Even with maxed DA and DW skill your chance for 4x attack is only about 65% (was up to 80% during PoP era when max lev was 65)

From this perspective a 2handed weapon that has 2x DPS ratio of your main hand, is better, than dual wielding. Why? Because DA is more reliable than DW. To clarify:
suppose you have 8/20 in main hand and 8/20 in off hand. Pure ratio wise that equal to a single 16/20 2hander Or 32/40 2hander. However such 2hander will be far more reliable cause it will score double attacks much more often than your dual wielding set will score 4x attacks.
So yeah 2hander is great if it has a comparable ratio

Rai2K
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
This is what I could find. Was curious the other day and was looking into it. Not sure if 100% correct, but seems close enough to work with.

Dual Wield % for Monks: (LVL + DW Skill) / 400 :: [78% at Lv60]
Double attack: DA skill / 400 :: [62.5% at Lv60]
Double attack affects offhand at 150 skill (ie. Lv29+)

Sources:
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37145
http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-2355.html

Kika Maslyaka
11-12-2012, 06:37 PM
that makes it only about 49% for 4x attacks then ;)

Vicatin
11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
The wus quivering (23/28) will be the only weapon you want to use until you can afford either a peacebringer or tstaff.