PDA

View Full Version : New Shaman, Old Question

Wonka11
12-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Troll vs Ogre. I've been trying to do my research, and some would say the short answer is Ogre because of stun resistance, but I wanted to come here and verify such truths since we have velious on the horizon which means that the initial stats Ogres get on creation mean little with everyone hitting their statistics cap in velious.

I'm looking for a good, detailed, or explained answer as to why stun resistance may be the better option at level 60 than regeneration and the snare medallion.

Ogre stun resistance seems nice in some aspects because while you may be interrupted due to melee push, it is not hard to find something to prop yourself up against to avoid spell interruption from melee. Now I'm not clear if bash has an inherent chance to interrupt any spell casting, but I can see the logic behind avoiding the 1-1.5 second stun that accompanies the bash, especially if you're tanking multiple adds.

Now on the other hand:

Troll regeneration appears to be a nice boon; everyone and their mother loves fungi tunics, and currently on p99 a troll sitting gets 16 hp regeneration per tick, and standing 12 (same as Iksar) at max level. Standing, this amount is close to a Fungi tunic, and sitting it exceeds that of a fungi tunic. Combined with fungi tunic however, we're looking at a 27 to 31 hp per tick regen sitting and standing before any regeneration buffs are even casted on one's self.

Now its true that this may pale overtime once a Shaman reaches 60 because of Torpor, however, the amount of regen you're receiving in combat does add up over time.

Lastly, snare pendant seems to be considerably helpful as well in some situations. If a mob dies while still rooted, then it is not as useful obviously, but at times you're tanking things in a dungeon and they start to run I can see such an item being very useful. Granted it is a 5 second cast with reports of lasting 30 to 50ish seconds, but I don't see it being hard to time hitting a mob with it when he enters the 21-22% health range, and having the snare completely stop the mob near 10%.

So what say you, oh Shaman of Norrath. I'd like to get some well thought out opinions on this.

gotrocks
12-17-2012, 09:21 AM
I hate to say it, but I would for sure use the search function here.

This topic has been beaten to death in countless threads on these forums. Pick the race you like. Both have their pros and cons that have been discussed everywhere.

And yes, your casting still can and probably will be interrupted by bash even with frontal stun immunity, you just wont be stunned.

Roll an iksar.

Itap
12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Are you having trouble deciding what to play? This is like your 6th thread asking advice about different races/classes.

ManticSquee
12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Are you having trouble deciding what to play? This is like your 6th thread asking advice about different races/classes.

Some research and others experiment.

Camulet
12-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Barbarian - its the only logical choice.

Elements
12-18-2012, 10:32 PM
When you hit 60 and have torpor the regen hp > mana difference between troll/ikky and others is very minor. Being able to back yourself into a corner and cast with 4 mobs hitting you and not getting interrupted from stuns is win.

mazukon
12-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I went troll because it's the only race that gets regen + JBB access. Also went inny for the clicky snare necklace for once the snare+root patch hits. Seems ok.

Growlers
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
I went troll because it's the only race that gets regen + JBB access. Also went inny for the clicky snare necklace for once the snare+root patch hits. Seems ok.

:D

murcielago200
12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
From what I have gathered is, Troll for regen which is better for groups, Ogre for soloing because less interrupts and no one likes iksar because cant use JBB. Barbs are not special.

Swish
12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
From what I have gathered is, Troll for regen which is better for groups, Ogre for soloing because less interrupts and no one likes iksar because cant use JBB. Barbs are not special.

Pretty much sums it up. Barbs obviously have an easier time banking, and while you'll have a slight racial penalty for trolls/ogres...remember teh regen/stun immunity bonus is forever, not just 1-60 :)

Elements
12-21-2012, 12:35 PM
I tried to quantify how much extra mana per tick trolls/iksar get over ogre/bard due to the regen bonus at 60 with fungi, torpor, chloro, and base regen. Basically a troll or iksar can canni one more time before casting torpor while doing the canni dance equating to something like an extra 0.47 mana per tick under these conditions.

The benefit of the extra regen is much greater while levelling and pre-torpor.

gotrocks
12-22-2012, 06:37 AM
The benefit of the extra regen is much greater while levelling and pre-torpor.

I think we had all assumed this already

but while you're leveling up that regen is amazing. As ani iiksar shaman, even with the basic "regen" spell in the regenation spell line, im getting about 11hp/tick, which is a ton.

If i canni dance i have basically 0 downtime, i just have to have regen on at lall times, which isnt a problem

just my 2/cents, but i play a fucking iksar shaman, and knowingly forfeited using a JBB, so im basically crazy, and clearly *not* a powergamer.