PDA

View Full Version : Binding - casters vs melee

eqravenprince
11-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Does anyone actually like the fact that melee can only be bound in cities? I suppose there might be some people that enjoy it cause it's added challenge. It was probably the one thing that bothered me the most about EQ. I wonder what the logic behind only allowing them to be bound in cities was.

magic
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Probably due to the fact that they have less of an affinity to magic than pure casters? (see what I did there)

Jify
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Probably due to the fact that they have less of an affinity to magic than pure casters? (see what I did there)

lol. :)

eqravenprince
11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Oh I understand the reasoning to why they don't get Bind Affinity themselves. They still would have to ask a caster to bind them, but why only to cities?

FatMagic
11-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh I understand the reasoning to why they don't get Bind Affinity themselves. They still would have to ask a caster to bind them, but why only to cities?

I don't know the "LORE" behind it - but it definitely was in Classic this way. Yes annoying... but it was part of the era (unfortunately!).

Soulfighter
11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
so main tanks can't fight right after dieing or something like that i guess. I mean imagine a guild main tank die , second tank take agroo then the MT loot his corpse get a buff and go fight again

entilza
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
- Risk vs reward. You need melee to venture to dungeons. So you have to go in a balanced group. If you don't have a balanced group you die more and the CR runs add to downtime.

- Increase demand for clerics (or Paly rez)

- Time sink ++

- Increase social aspect: ie: Request for binds.

Deemo
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
things come as they are. Sure it can be a pain when i die in MM and iam bound at FP. But thats the way off things. No magic whatsoever. No gate, no sow, no binds.

eqravenprince
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
When did Bind potions become available?

Halladar
11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I think it is to minimize the trouble bind affinity could produce.

What if some joker in a group decided to bind you in a dungeon? And then gate?

A melee can't change their bind without another caster.

Look original eq was great for a lot of reasons but it seems like some parts of it are fetishized because it was done that way to begin with. Some people say it forces interaction with other players since a melee has to find another player to bind them. Maybe some game long friendship has emerged over this on some sure server but for me it was usually "Yeah, sure."-Invite-You have formed the group-You feel your soul...-group has been disbanded.

Incidentally I have never paid for a bind. I'm not even sure anyone ever tried to charge me.

Shards of Dalaya has a /bind command that any class can use instead of a bind spell. Of course all classes, including casters have to bind in the same locations. That part of the server worked great in my opinion.

Here is an example of something I think is a problem with bind. I have a low level shaman and it has been a crapshoot with getting a fistful of vengful running to blackburrow. Then too if I am naked and haven't bothered to run to halas to the bank to get another light source, I have to do the turn backwards and back down the tunnel thing till I zone. It's a lot more convenient to be bound in qeynos. Unfortunately I paid 3 or 4 trips to qeynos and no one was in the area that could bind me or bother to answer for a night or two. Someone finally did, but if you argue that this isn't an easy mode server blah*blah*blah I just want to say challenge like that isn't anything I need.

My character's problem goes away at level 14 but it will stick around for a melee.

Bigcountry23
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Shards of Dalaya has a /bind command that any class can use instead of a bind spell. Of course all classes, including casters have to bind in the same locations. That part of the server worked great in my opinion.

Sounds like you should be playing on a SoD server rather than a classic server IMO.

eqravenprince
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not expecting any kind of change regarding this, after all it is classic EQ. It was just always something that bothered me about playing a non caster. It was a tradeoff I suppose cause I enjoyed being a melee class and not sitting through the fights. A monk or sk might actually be the ideal class for me since it would be melee and I can FD to avoid a lot of deaths. Currently playing a Necromancer though so I could solo and play casually 30 minutes here and there.

stormlord
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not expecting any kind of change regarding this, after all it is classic EQ. It was just always something that bothered me about playing a non caster. It was a tradeoff I suppose cause I enjoyed being a melee class and not sitting through the fights. A monk or sk might actually be the ideal class for me since it would be melee and I can FD to avoid a lot of deaths. Currently playing a Necromancer though so I could solo and play casually 30 minutes here and there.

Good idea! I love playing the monk. Another idea is to play a bard for runspeed songs (for running back).

If you can invis/hide you're more flexible.. you can bind in kos cities more easily. There're some places outside cities you can bind too.

Tanknstein
11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
so main tanks can't fight right after dieing or something like that i guess. I mean imagine a guild main tank die , second tank take agroo then the MT loot his corpse get a buff and go fight again

what he said.

someguy
11-18-2009, 04:09 PM
casters=low health, low ac. melees=high ac, high health. rogues can hide/sneak, and monks can feign death. naturally melees will die less, thus less corpse runs. sooo, casters get to bind wherever they want and melees have to plan out where they need to be bound.

it's risk vs reward, if melees could bind in guk/solb then noone would want casters ;p 6 naked monks could zerg all of the content without a healer. who would want that? ;x

Bubbles
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
casters=low health, low ac. melees=high ac, high health. rogues can hide/sneak, and monks can feign death. naturally melees will die less, thus less corpse runs. sooo, casters get to bind wherever they want and melees have to plan out where they need to be bound.

it's risk vs reward, if melees could bind in guk/solb then noone would want casters ;p 6 naked monks could zerg all of the content without a healer. who would want that? ;x

http://ejblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/far-side-school-for-gifted.jpg

someguy
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
pull the door open , bubbles!