PDA

View Full Version : Shaman wiki gives bad advice.

Byrjun
01-21-2013, 03:30 AM
I'm curious who wrote this, and if they ever played a shaman before:

For pure Mana consideration, a higher WIS *dramatically* beats out over a higher STA

That said, there are some meta-considerations as well to be taken into account:

When you reach 0 Mana, you are OOM. When you reach 0 HP, you are dead. Therefore, HP are obviously important.
The higher your HP, the bigger your "Cannibalize buffer" is, i.e. how much overhead you have to play with before feeling vulnerable.
Since it's "easy" to reach your stat caps, any +WIS above cap is wasted and should instead be giving you +STA (and vice-versa).
Draining your Mana pool is better than draining your HP, in that you regain Mana faster while medding than HP.
Draining your HP pool is better than draining your Mana, in that others (esp. Druid, Cleric) can refill your HP for you much more easily than your Mana.
None of this takes any special HP or Mana regeneration items into account.

It's comparing wis vs. hp for pure mana pool, which is wrong. Your HP pool does not give you more mana innately, it gives you more mana regen which is more important. Mana pool is pointless as soon as you don't have a full bar of mana, which should be any time you're actually fighting anything. A large pool of HP means that canni costs less HP %, allowing you to canni more often, improving mana regen.

It mentions that you regen mana faster while medding, which shouldn't be a consideration for any shaman above level 23.

And most amusingly, it suggests that you should ask other druids/clerics to heal you, instead of managing your own hp/mana responsibly. Embarrassing advice.

Pyrion
01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
A larger HP pool will not give you more mana regen. Not at all. Not a bit. You get more mana potential, but only until you use it. This is important and a lot of people do not understand it. For a shaman the health regeneration rate can be directly converted to mana regeneration. The max HP is totally worthless to mana regeneration (although its nice to have for obvious reasons).

A large pool of HP means that canni costs less HP %, yes. But how does that help mana regeneration? Your heals don't heal HP %, they heal exact amounts of HP, no matter how much you have. If you would have CH like a cleric that would be a different story.

quido
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Having more HP allows you to Canni to not as low of a % before torporing, that's about it.

theaetatus
01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
It's comparing wis vs. hp for pure mana pool, which is wrong. Your HP pool does not give you more mana innately, it gives you more mana regen which is more important. Mana pool is pointless as soon as you don't have a full bar of mana, which should be any time you're actually fighting anything. A large pool of HP means that canni costs less HP %, allowing you to canni more often, improving mana regen.

The wiki is correct here and you are wrong. Consider adding 150 hp for instance.. This gives you enough hp for 1 extra canni before you reach the point where you decide it is unwise to canni further. Just like a mana pool, these hp are a one-off bonus until you rest to full hp again, a buffer.

It mentions that you regen mana faster while medding, which shouldn't be a consideration for any shaman above level 23.

Any shammy over 23 should still be catching med ticks when they can, so it's hardly irrelevant.

Ele
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
You can change it.

theaetatus
01-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should. :P

SamwiseRed
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
wis better til 200.

Handull
01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
druids/clerics can clickie heal you when you need to canni a lot for mana (rebuffing after a wipe, etc). you can also take a quick c-heal if the clerics are near FM and you are oom, etc

Elements
01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Lets get serious, the paladins should be healing the shamans.

Pyrion
01-22-2013, 05:34 AM
What clickie heal do druids get?

isoka
01-22-2013, 12:23 PM
http://wiki.project1999.org/Elder_Spiritist%27s_Greaves comes to my mind

Chrisjag92
01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
The wiki is correct here and you are wrong. Consider adding 150 hp for instance.. This gives you enough hp for 1 extra canni before you reach the point where you decide it is unwise to canni further. Just like a mana pool, these hp are a one-off bonus until you rest to full hp again, a buffer.

Slightly confused. Doesn't the rate at which health regens due to your spells, make it easier to quickly regain health for canni, than regenning mana through meditation?

theaetatus
01-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Ideally you do both. You canni and catch the med ticks as well... Not only do you get the extra mana you don't need to canni for, but also you get a little extra hp regen.

Cholk
01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
hp/wis all comes down to what your doing. If your grouping i would aim for 160 wis the rest in ac and hp gear. If your melee soloing, only use get enough mana to kill your targets safely then stack hp and ac, remember ac is just like having extra hp i roughly use a 1:5 ac to hp ratio. Ofc this all assumes your under 60, if you are 60 hp and ac are king.

Stormhowl
03-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Ideally you do both. You canni and catch the med ticks as well... Not only do you get the extra mana you don't need to canni for, but also you get a little extra hp regen.

Seriously, how do more people not know about the Canni-Dance? D:
The only good thing about Bear Form back in the day was being able to Canni-Dance and not look like I was trying to teabag Norrath itself.

SupaflyIRL
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
pretty sure that quote is specifically wis vs sta not "mana vs hp", iirc priests dont get a lot of hp from sta (necros do not) so for me 10 sta could be like 12 hp or 10 int could be 120 mana or something meaning you would get more mana out of 120 mana than 12 hp

Byrjun
04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
pretty sure that quote is specifically wis vs sta not "mana vs hp", iirc priests dont get a lot of hp from sta (necros do not) so for me 10 sta could be like 12 hp or 10 int could be 120 mana or something meaning you would get more mana out of 120 mana than 12 hp

3 hp for every sta. I'd rather have 30 hp than 100 mana considering I never feel like my mana pool is too small but a larger hp pool is always welcome.