PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Warrior, Is it the only option?

Vaken
01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Just by the fact of no frontal stun?

I made a Dark elf Warrior and at lv 1 a moss snake stunned me and I began to wonder...Does this become a problem say when tanking a dragon/God/raid mob later on?

Is making an Ogre a no brainier or could any warrior tank just fine throughout the fight without the problem of being stunned and losing aggro?

Sorry for such a noob question but first time playing a tank.

Thanks in advance

Jimhoff06
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
IMO Ogre war is best war. They have great base stats, can't be stunned from front, and can use slam. They are huge though and it can be difficult to traverse some zones because of their height. They also are evil, and they have a terrible newbie zone. Just dump all your points into Dex and play an Ogre. Rallos Zek is the God of War after all, and he created Ogres. It just makes sense.

Darkpretzel
01-29-2013, 11:56 PM
i love my halfy warrior!

Beaniron
01-30-2013, 02:14 AM
IMO Ogre war is best war. They have great base stats, can't be stunned from front, and can use slam. They are huge though and it can be difficult to traverse some zones because of their height. They also are evil, and they have a terrible newbie zone. Just dump all your points into Dex and play an Ogre. Rallos Zek is the God of War after all, and he created Ogres. It just makes sense.

Ogres aren't evil, just really dumb. They do make the best Warriors though, I agree. Frontal stun immunity, insanely high Str/Sta, and Slam. Get Sta to 150, rest into Dex or Agi and you're set.

khanable
01-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Iksar race best race

funhorroryes
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
ogre is by far the best. there is no reason to play any other class beneficially in terms of game mechanics, stats or strategy aside from that of the ogre war.

any other race is completely cosmetic, and certain races suffer more than others. Ogre is the true benchmark

fishingme
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
if you make an ogre warrior, all points into dex or you're going to hate yourself.

Estu
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
they have a terrible newbie zone

This is so off-base! The Feerrott is great - plentiful mobs, lots of merchants right there for you, practically no high-level roamers, and frogloks and lizardmen drop a LOT of money/loot for level 1 mobs. By the time you're 5 or so you might have enough plat to get your first proc weapon.

Nogdar
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Agreed Estuk! Don't call our homeland a "crap newbie zone" ! Feerott FTW! YES, the whistles make you go crazy in 30 secs and YES you can't see crap when it rains BUT, it could be worse, it could be the Innothule Swamps! (which by the way is an AWESOME newbie zone too and right next to it, awesome netted & mesh drops, and great for lvling swimming.. But then it's a lot of time lost swimming around. xD)

Vellatri
01-30-2013, 02:14 PM
How many people does it take to tank a dragon or god?

Jimhoff06
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh come one the Feerott Sucks for newbie wars. You can't do lizardman camps alone, chances are you will get blinded by a mystic, then end up dead without a corpse loc and will be forever on a corpse run. It's a terrible location compared to any of the populated zones. Also, Dark Assassin, enough said.

khanable
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Iksar newb zone confirmed best in game

:p

khanable
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
ogre is by far the best. there is no reason to play any other class beneficially in terms of game mechanics, stats or strategy aside from that of the ogre war.

any other race is completely cosmetic, and certain races suffer more than others. Ogre is the true benchmark

Iksar regen/ac bonus. Especially during Velious when they can use all of that plate.

Currently if you're going to min/max play ogre.

It's a rough life otherwise.

Estu
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh come one the Feerott Sucks for newbie wars. You can't do lizardman camps alone, chances are you will get blinded by a mystic, then end up dead without a corpse loc and will be forever on a corpse run. It's a terrible location compared to any of the populated zones. Also, Dark Assassin, enough said.

1) Avoid the lizardman camps; pick off the wandering lizardmen, of which there are plenty.

2) Avoid the area of Feerrott that has the Dark Assassin in it; it's neatly separated by a river. The area without the Dark Assassin has ample mobs to get a young ogre to level 5 at the least, and is quite safe.

Hugmukk
01-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Top 3 races for warrior:

Ogre
Troll
Barbarian

IMO the large stature of the ogre and troll kept me from playing either and I went with a barbarian. The frontal stun wasn't enough for me in this case. All 3 get slam which is extremely useful.

Silo69
02-01-2013, 12:32 AM
i have never seen an epic troll warrior on this server

ogres are prob best over all

halflings lvl fast everyone will hate u

woodies look pretty sleek

dark elfs get hide... nice helmet graphic shiny as fuk

go make a ranger and tank

Heavydrop
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Not my choice to play as a warrior but the argument is there to be one.
Especially as a high end raid tank. They are probably the best for that in my
opinion.
They just require help to get there
(kos everywhere and they are big and fat)
so make friends with a porter and invest in shrink potions

galvaunis
02-01-2013, 12:12 PM

For levels 1-4
1: lizards, skeletons, frogs
2: above + beetles, spiders
3: same
4: above + harder beetles, spiders

it's pretty much the bomb. Especially if choose to start a character at 1 without much twink stuff (as I usually do) the single fact that lizards and skeletons are very common, and have a rusty about 1/3 of the time is makes earning money for your first items, bandages, bags, w/e, super fast. You can also get a 2hander from the sk gm in about 3 lizard kills average (4 liz meats) which also grants faction and xp. If you dont want the rusty 2h, its simply more money. Straight up best money area in the game levels 1-4.

By the time you hit 5 or 6 just go find where everyone else is, seemed to work on my warrior.

Estu
02-02-2013, 07:47 AM
For levels 1-4

it's pretty much the bomb. Especially if choose to start a character at 1 without much twink stuff (as I usually do) the single fact that lizards and skeletons are very common, and have a rusty about 1/3 of the time is makes earning money for your first items, bandages, bags, w/e, super fast. You can also get a 2hander from the sk gm in about 3 lizard kills average (4 liz meats) which also grants faction and xp. If you dont want the rusty 2h, its simply more money. Straight up best money area in the game levels 1-4.

By the time you hit 5 or 6 just go find where everyone else is, seemed to work on my warrior.

This - also, there's a similar quest at the warrior's guild you can do instead, and both quests give good EXP at low levels. Note, though, that one should probably avoid spiders (spiderlings are OK iirc) because they have Weak Poison, which at those levels is devastating.

patriot1776
02-04-2013, 04:08 AM
dark elf is best warrior race

Tippett
02-04-2013, 04:40 AM
If you want to be a "main" raid tank you p much have to be Ogre, some raid bosses stun and if you don't have immunity you will get stunned and lose aggro and possibly wipe raids.

Now if you just plan on tanking planar trash or doing some cool group content then play whatever you think looks the coolest :D

Brut
02-04-2013, 07:54 AM
For levels 1-4

4-5 should move to Innothule and hang out at Guk entrance slaying froggers, drops netted armor and rusty weapons, again good money source. Just hafta stay around south areas of the entrance, the wandering lvl12ish elf mobs path the other side. Can also make pals with fat troll bretheren.

Around lvls 7-9 there's also skeletons aplenty at NW corner of Feerrott. Only mean parts there are the zombies that can spawn there, plus you usually get 2-3 skeletons per camp until got em split.

Caridry
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
i have never seen an epic troll warrior on this server

You must not ever be in EC, there are 2 that regular there. I completely agree with the fact that if you want to MAIN tank, ogre is the best, for all of the rest, it doesnt really matter.

TWDL_Prexus
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Iksar > Ogre come velious.

Knuckle
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7pjkLSzqzAg/TE89ML95_zI/AAAAAAAAAQU/QVprLgeKOm8/s1600/DrizztDoUrden.jpg

Heavydrop
02-07-2013, 07:57 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7pjkLSzqzAg/TE89ML95_zI/AAAAAAAAAQU/QVprLgeKOm8/s1600/DrizztDoUrden.jpg

Ranger *cough cough*

but love him anyway

jackie chan
02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
People...

I'm sick and tired of seeing ogre warriors everywhere. Honestly folks, PICK ANOTHER RACE.

Everquest is about the journey, not the destination, so please get out of this mindset before you end up with poop-sock memories of raping the shit out of the game.

Ogre warriors are ugly and bulky and make up like 90% of the warrior population. There is nothing intriguing about them, nothing special, nothing unique.

Like a flock of seagulls that fly away in fear, seldom are the ones who stay near. BE THAT FUCKING SEAGULL.

jackie chan
02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
IIRC, can't parry, dodge, riposte or attack to maintain aggro while stunned = ogre best tank

See, you're obviously caught up in that mindset of best racial attributes = best EQ experience

jackie chan
02-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Everyone has their own interest for what they want out of the game, now shut up, nobody cares

Of course everyone does. I never denied that. I'm just trying to shed some light on a different perspective, offering my time of day to express my thoughts on this forum - a forum that was built from a community that doesn't care for the opinion of others, and evidently the game itself.

captnamazing
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
halfling warrior leet skeet

Sylexis
02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Agreed Estuk! Don't call our homeland a "crap newbie zone" ! Feerott FTW! YES, the whistles make you go crazy in 30 secs and YES you can't see crap when it rains BUT, it could be worse, it could be the Innothule Swamps! (which by the way is an AWESOME newbie zone too and right next to it, awesome netted & mesh drops, and great for lvling swimming.. But then it's a lot of time lost swimming around. xD)

And don't run right into the shadowed men hiding in the middle of the swamp.

pharmakos
02-28-2013, 06:30 PM
dunno if its been mentioned yet, but the warrior that won the P99 Warrior Best-of-the-Best tournament was a level 60 Halfling warrior from TMO.

he still had a few pieces of Enchanted Dwarven Plate on at level 60 along with his VP gear, which really surprised me.

Nirgon
03-01-2013, 01:22 PM
That's skill at work.

Clark
03-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Ogre Warrior with points into agi is the best, dex is easy to max (edit more so pve but still)

Tecmos Deception
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
any other race is completely cosmetic

Well... no. I won't argue that ogre warriors are the best warriors, but claiming that some of the other warrior races don't have beneficial game mechanics that an ogre lacks is just being stupid. Regen, extra AC, hide/sneak racials... those aren't cosmetic, even if they aren't quite up to the level of frontal melee stun immunity. Hell. Even being small is an advantage that isn't just cosmetic.

And anyone saying that getting stunned by a RAID BOSS will cause your warrior to lose aggro? Those people have no clue what they're talking about. Midnight. Mallets.

Vadd
03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
My warrior is an ogre.

If I had to choose something else, it would be wood elf.

That's why my alt is a ranger...

Nirgon
03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Item recharge should be removed from blue as well.

Know what REALLY removes plat from the economy? Making people spend money on more rubies for more mallets, or money on coffins for wipes :P.

Item recharge isn't a feature like manastone, "oh we decided to was time to nerf the manastone" vs "oh we thought it was time to fix one of the worst bugs in the game"

heartbrand
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
The problem with the above logic, which by the way I agree with, is it can then be applied to many other areas on p99, an approach which seems to not be within the devs vision of this box.