PDA

View Full Version : New to EQ looking for some guidance

Ac888
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey I've been playing on this server for about a month and have really been enjoying the experience thus far. This is my first time playing Everquest, I always wanted to play but when it was released I was only 10 years old and we just got Dial-Up internet a year ago and my Celeron 400 MHz PC did not have a 3d graphics card so I was out of luck. The closest experience I've had in my days to an MMORPG like this would be Tibia but that was 2d-iso and had limited classes and map for free players.

I have created a Halfling Rogue and have reached the level of 10 so I can get my Backstab. I am now wondering if this is the time I should be grouping with other adventurers so I can take on the tougher challenges and better loot drops.

I've heard EQ has a great community of veterans who are willing to help new comers like myself who desire to learn and experience this game to its best so I'm hoping to find that here as well :)

Thanks for the consideration!

ko37qtl
02-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Your instincts are correct, it is time for grouping. Rogues do way better as part of a group and now that you can backstab, you're going to start bringing some nice damage to the party. Welcome to EQ, btw :)

Ac888
02-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks! Ya I'm starting to get the hang of timing it right so that stuff is actually within range. Where is the best place to start looking for groups or should I just be asking in chat?

Fuzzhead93
02-05-2013, 06:09 PM
At level 10 crushbone is a good option or oasis

ko37qtl
02-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Thanks! Ya I'm starting to get the hang of timing it right so that stuff is actually within range. Where is the best place to start looking for groups or should I just be asking in chat?

If you're where a halfling normally gets started, make your way to East Commonlands and see if anyone is recruiting for orc groups. Dervishes are also a possibility in West Commonlands or North Ro, but seem to be less common. Even less common (but way more fun with a good group) is the dungeon Befallen. This is a place you need to go to practice lockpicking anyhow, and if you're able to pick the lock to the door, you and your groupmates won't have such a bad time when the almost inevitable wipe comes at some point (keep a spare lockpick set in the bank). I would think you're a little early yet for Oasis (and I also hate the place) but there are groups to be had, and it's less bad the first time.

If you've found yourself in Faydwer, Crushbone is really the way to go early on and then move to Unrest as that plays out.

sanforce
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Ac888, before you go too far, make sure that you created your rogue correctly. You should not have put anything into Wis or Int. Str/Sta/Agi/Dex are all good for a starting rogue. I'm sure someone who plays a rogue can be a bit more specific.

Misplaced starting point were very common in this games heyday. If you are a low level and messed up on starting points, it might be worthwhile to reroll.

Ac888
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I used the Project 1999 wiki Rogue page to determine my point allocation (25 into STA, 5 into STR). I'm a Halfling Rogue as well so I have the decent exp boost. I'm currently in East Freeport at the docks, thinking of checking out Crushbone to see if I can find a group.