PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wield

tommydgun
02-14-2013, 04:14 PM
from p1999 wiki:

"Dual wield affects the chance for an equipped offhand weapon to swing. Whenever the delay requirement for the offhand weapon is met, a check is made versus your dual wield skill to see if the offhand weapon will successfully swing.
. . .

Each weapon's attack speed / delay is considered independently when dual wielding, which means it is possible to have multiple swings on an offhand weapon before the main-hand weapon swings.

Damage bonus only affects your primary weapon, and as a result, for maximum DPS (damage per second) you will want to put the best ratio weapon in the secondary weapon slot regardless of delay."

This is the least logical argument for putting your best delay weapon in your offhand that I have ever read. If skill checks for your off-hand are independent and will not be made 100% of the time, why on earth would you want to put your best ratio weapon in your offhand? Your primary will swing 100% of the time on time, thus you would want your best ratio in your primary hand otherwise you would lose dps.

Example: Let's consider I have a jade mace and an adamantite club. (which I do) People say put the JM in primary and AC in secondary. How does this make sense? Based on the above mechanics, the AC has a better ratio and I would want my better ratio swinging 100% of the time. Every time I fail a DW check on my AC timer I am losing more dps than if I was failing a DW check on a jade mace timer because the ratio (and damage) is less.

Anyone know the reason people say this or if this is completely false information? How do you equip weapons primary and secondary. Let's continue to use the example of jade mace / adamantite club. (I cannot afford SoS so please don't mention it in thread)

Estu
02-15-2013, 10:21 AM
The distinction is between looking for a weapon with a good ratio and a weapon with a low delay. In your primary, a low delay weapon will often out-DPS a higher-delay weapon with a better ratio, because of the damage bonus. In your secondary, there is no damage bonus, so all you care about is delay. Yeah, obviously if your best ratio weapon is also low enough delay that it's your best primary DPS weapon, you want it in your primary slot. But the guide is saying that if you have the choice of all weapons, you want lowest delay in primary (again, this doesn't technically guarantee the best DPS; you would really want to actually factor in the damage bonus and do the math; but it's a general guideline) and best ratio in secondary.

Seredoc
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM
The formula is the following(I just spent a yesterday locating all the info)
Mainhand normal ratio is (damage*2 + damage bonus)/delay with damage bonus being (level - 25)/3 and offhand being ((lvl + dual wield skill) / 500) * (dmg *2) / delay.

Using a level 50 with 200 dw skill: Jade mace as primary (9 * 2 + 8)/18 = 1.44(higher is better). AC as primary (15 * 2 + 8)/25 = 2.11

As secondary now, opening math is the same ((50 + 200)/500) = .5 so moving on. Jade mace .5 * (9 * 2)(duh) = 9 , 9 / 18 = .5 and now AC .5 * ( 15 * 2)(again duh) = 15, 15 / 25 = .6

Really generic example but all in all the AC is the better weapon in both categories, also to determine overall dmg ratio you add the two. AC main jade off is a 2.61, Jade main AC off is 1.94. Put your AC in your main hand.

Splorf22
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
arthmetic errors

This is the right idea (damage bonus benefits faster weapons more) but you made a few math mistakes.

JM/AC: ((9*2 + 8)/18 = 1.44) + (0.75*2*15/25 = 0.9) = 2.34
AC/JM: ((15*2 + 8)/25 = 1.52) + (0.75*2*9/18 = 0.75) = 2.27

Conclusion: JM/AC > AC/JM at L50. That disparity will only get higher as your damage bonus gets larger of course.

Emphase
thanks seredoc for clearing that up

Emphase
or not

Seredoc
02-24-2013, 06:39 AM
This is the right idea (damage bonus benefits faster weapons more) but you made a few math mistakes.

JM/AC: ((9*2 + 8)/18 = 1.44) + (0.75*2*15/25 = 0.9) = 2.34
AC/JM: ((15*2 + 8)/25 = 1.52) + (0.75*2*9/18 = 0.75) = 2.27

Conclusion: JM/AC > AC/JM at L50. That disparity will only get higher as your damage bonus gets larger of course.

You're right, I had the right formula and applied it wrong, my bad. Cough medicine + sleep deprivation = bad math, glad you could clear that up. I looked at it again and thought to myself "wtf did I get 2.11 for the AC?" lol