Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   PSA: ATTN - If you are bound in raid zones, read this (/forums/showthread.php?t=113050)

gloinz 06-28-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartbrand (Post 1011398)
Newsflash, getting a job in Law is much like getting a job in ANY field nowadays, the people who know people will always fare better than the people who don't. /thread

going to have to disagree as a software engineer i feel like a 1st round draft pick in the nfl with the amount of offers i got coming out of school

plus i got a damn signing bonus, shit was classic

Stinkum 06-28-2013 04:54 PM

sorry for the tl;dr

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGuyAmes
Those numbers are slightly inflated because they count total bar exams passed in New York State (your able to practice in 3-4 other states with your N.Y Bar License) so not everyone actually ends up working here.

i encourage you to read the article i linked

Quote:

Originally Posted by The New York Times
Every state in the U.S. but Wisconsin and Nebraska (plus Washington, D.C.) is producing many more lawyers than it needs.

In fact, across the country, there were twice as many people who passed the bar in 2009 (53,508) as there were openings (26,239).

A separate estimate for the number of lawyers produced in 2009 also showed a surplus (44,159 new law grads compared with 26,239 openings).

tl;dr = it doesnt matter, every state in the entire U.S. is vastly overproducing lawyers by atrocious margins

good career prospects are all about growth in openings and deficits in people certified to perform that job

some states are worse than others, and you happen to live in the particular worst state in the U.S. as far as surplus lawyers, but it's ugly anywhere you go

Quote:

My degree is a dual pre-law/paralegal studies so that I will be able to get a job working at a corporate law firm that requires you have a bachelors degree (which most paraglegals don't). It's a great thing to fall back on because just a quick search of mean paralegal salary in NYC shows that its a great career to start in.

okay but we are talking about working as an attorney here. if you don't want to work in a job that requires a JD, then don't get one. if you could do that job without a JD, then do that. you'd be much better off for it, and potentially owe $100,000s less in loans (assuming you are taking loans)

Quote:

P.S I'm genuinely curious as to what your profession is Stinkum?

on a whim i took the LSAT a few years ago without 1 minute of studying and did fairly decent (165), so i thought i might have a knack for law and considered law school briefly

after doing the necessary preliminary research of job prospects and talking to recent law school grads, i quickly decided fuck that shit

Nirgon 06-28-2013 04:55 PM

After seeing the direction this thread has taken, I don't want another word from the bluebies complaining about reds coming over to their section

heartbrand 06-28-2013 04:57 PM

Should've hired me, 165 pretty meh could've got you in the mid 170's bro

heartbrand 06-28-2013 05:02 PM

https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/545/lg54.jpg

p-niner 06-28-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloinz (Post 1011416)
going to have to disagree as a software engineer i feel like a 1st round draft pick in the nfl with the amount of offers i got coming out of school

plus i got a damn signing bonus, shit was classic

Signing bonus.cus they want no excuses for do it urself bowl cuts

Frieza_Prexus 06-28-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirgon (Post 1011419)
After seeing the direction this thread has taken, I don't want another word from the bluebies complaining about reds coming over to their section

It's on topic cause law school is academic PVP.

heartbrand 06-28-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus (Post 1011448)

havent' laughed that hard from forums in a long long time

p-niner 06-28-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus (Post 1011448)

I bet I could give more real life law experience and consultations to someone than HB can with his university degree.

Focused taxes? Lol get an accounting related degree its broader.

big league chew 06-28-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartbrand (Post 1011387)
Hawkins already made philosophy obsolete sry