Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Hanging while zoning: finally, a solution (/forums/showthread.php?t=281554)

Dolalin 09-21-2017 11:52 AM

Hanging while zoning: finally, a solution

Do you often find your client hanging while zoning? Does it sometimes and sometimes-not just sit there forever at "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT..." for ages until you're either forced to kill the client or booted back to the login screen?

This is an issue with your router/NAT/firewall dropping packets and/or closing TCP connections.

The solution, aside from debugging your firewall, is simply to connect to a VPN before you log in and connect to the server. This tunnels all the messy EQ TCP/UDP through the VPN connection, bypassing your firewall/NAT.

Get a VPN account and you won't see this freezing anymore, I guarantee it.

Razerpaw 09-22-2017 07:28 PM

I use Cyberghost VPN and it still happens, although rarely.

Tankdan 09-25-2017 07:06 PM

There was a few months where I could not zone when playing EQ, Cyberghost VPN was a good free workaround for a temporary problem. Otherwise prob might want to buy a real one.

Senn 09-25-2017 08:09 PM

Yeah, the client is poorly coded for packet-loss. A VPN isn't the panacea the OP claims it to be. If I forget I have one of our work VPNs connected, I get disco'd every single zone. that's usually what tips me off that i left it connected.