Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   One of my characters' UI completely wipes each time upon logging off within an hour (/forums/showthread.php?t=262558)

Zekkran 01-11-2017 12:53 AM

One of my characters' UI completely wipes each time upon logging off within an hour

Hail GMs,

I am hoping you can help me with an issue ive had since 2 patches ago. My cleric which is on a separate account doesn't seem to hold any of the macros or any customization I put into the UI each time I log in. It doesn't even load the basic UI which would put Melee Attack in the first hotbar #1, or preserve anyone I enter on my friend's list. I would really like to be able to enjoy my play experience on my cleric again and it makes it hard to have to rebuild macros every time I log in. Please assist if you can, thanks.

Zekkran

paulgiamatti 01-11-2017 03:50 AM

Move your EQ directory out of Program Files.

Zekkran 01-11-2017 03:52 AM

my eq directory doesn't have a program files because i am running eq in a wineskin. but i havent had this problem on any other character

paulgiamatti 01-11-2017 05:21 PM

I don't know anything about Wineskin but this is a client-side issue, meaning it doesn't have anything to do with the server - it's all on your side. It saves these changes to the client by writing them to configuration files when you exit the game. This is why I never /quit out of the game if I don't have to, but instead /camp desk so that it properly goes through the signout process and writes any client configuration changes that I might have made.

Macro changes are written to EverQuest\Character_server.ini, and UI changes are written to EverQuest\UI_Character_server.ini. So something you're doing is preventing the client from successfully writing to these files when you exit the game, and 99% of the time this is due to access security issues; if you install EQ into your Program Files directory, Windows will only allow the client to write to these files if the client has administrative privileges.

Are you currently able to use other characters without experiencing the same issue? If so, then that means there's something about that specific character's configuration files that either Wineskin or the client doesn't like. If this issue occurs across all characters then it's probably an issue with Mac OS not allowing Wineskin to write to those files. If it's an issue that occurs with only one character then there's something about the automatically generated configuration files for that specific character that Wineskin is having an issue with.

Zekkran 01-11-2017 05:27 PM

Hi, thanks again for the response. I understand what you're sayin - the catch is, there is no Program Files directory, nor is there Windows. Just an EQ directory.

The way it works every time I want to play eq is i have to launch wineskin (The wrapper i made to play EQ in), then click Install and find my everquesttitanium.bat file and select that, which opens up to the login page. So there is no program files, although it still works the same way, just out of the Everquest folder - if I delete my cleric's UI file from that folder and then log in and camp out properly (which i've tried many times) then I see a new file gets saved in the appropriate directory...

Unfortunately, that file is saved where all the other files from my other characters (and friend's toons Ive only logged on once) are saved, which is the main Everquest folder, and the file itself looks no different from any of the others. It only happens with this character, which is on a separate account. So i'm still pretty confused as far as how I could fix it when it only seems to happen to this one character, ever. And every time.

nectarprime 01-11-2017 05:43 PM

I'm a Linux noob, so I don't know if giving permissions to specific files is a thing, but is there a way that you can check if that UI file is read-only? Can you make manual changes to it and save them?

Zekkran 01-11-2017 05:44 PM

when i press 'get info' it says i can read & write to the file. also its mac, not linux. wineskin as i understand it is a way to trick your mac into running windows programs...

paulgiamatti 01-11-2017 05:44 PM

Yes, I realize there's no Program Files, I was simply explaining why Windows often has issues writing to configuration files, which might not be entirely different from issues that Wineskin would have as well. It also doesn't have anything to do with the character being on a separate account - configuration files contain no account information. That's the extent of my help - good luck!

Tupakk 01-11-2017 06:27 PM

The bat file should be Launch Titianium.bat

Make a copy of the other character UI and rename them to your clerics name then adjust the UI. Camp and log out through everything slowmans way and then log back in and see what happens.

Also not a Mac guy so I have no idea how wineskin works.

Sorn 01-11-2017 06:42 PM

Try this:

1) Set up UI with macros
2) Zone
3) Alt-tab out of EQ, move file to different location
4) Camp, log in, camp
5) When new UI file is created, move old file back and overwrite the new one
6) Log in to check if it loads that one

I don't know if that'll work but should at least give it a try. The only problem I can think of is some sort of fatal custom UI error that prompts EQ to reload default, but that shouldn't erase hot buttons or anything...