Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   hiccups while connected (/forums/showthread.php?t=69426)

Witness 03-23-2012 02:06 PM

hiccups while connected

Hi sorry if this has already been addressed. While playing every 10 seconds or so nmy screen hiccups for like half a second. Under normal play its barely noticeable and completely bareable. However when aoe bard kiting those tiny hiccups every 10 seconds are instant death I have all effects as low as possible. These hiccups occur regardless of what zone I'm in and regardkess of whether there is graphic intensive things happning or not.

Anyone ever experience this or know a fix?

bounky47 03-23-2012 02:16 PM

Hiccups for me came from not having the multi core fix which you can get from http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28335 I'm almost positive there are other fixes to this issue but try this first if you do have a multi core.

Witness 03-23-2012 06:08 PM

Well I did that link and now my chars no longer exist at login screen :(

bounky47 03-23-2012 09:49 PM

His program is completely fine and that should not have happened with just the cpu fix. By all characters being gone do you mean the level human shows up and it says update files, or what? Screenshot please.

Witness 03-27-2012 04:40 PM

After extensive trouble shooting I can confirm that the hiccups occur whenever someone zones into the zone I'm in. Screen will pause for half a second everytime someone zones in

Any fixes?

edgrubermn 03-28-2012 08:55 AM

Buddy who plays a bard had this same issue.... being System Admins, we spent a night troubleshooting the issue, with him changing every setting he could change, setting affinities, etc. Finally what it came down to was hard drive access time. Despite having a 7200 rpm drive, we are both playing on laptops, which amplifies the problem just enough to cause death while kiting during a glitch. He tried a USB thumb drive, which helped but finally, he used the stripped down EQlite, which he then got the luclin models working in, then set it up in a Ramdisk... we were doing doing 30 critter kites last night, where as before, everytime someone would zone in he'd die. HUGE difference.

Sylexis 03-28-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgrubermn (Post 603182)
Buddy who plays a bard had this same issue.... being System Admins, we spent a night troubleshooting the issue, with him changing every setting he could change, setting affinities, etc. Finally what it came down to was hard drive access time. Despite having a 7200 rpm drive, we are both playing on laptops, which amplifies the problem just enough to cause death while kiting during a glitch. He tried a USB thumb drive, which helped but finally, he used the stripped down EQlite, which he then got the luclin models working in, then set it up in a Ramdisk... we were doing doing 30 critter kites last night, where as before, everytime someone would zone in he'd die. HUGE difference.

And now you are going to be awesome and post a walkthrough right? :D

edgrubermn 03-28-2012 10:17 AM

I didn't do the fix.. so no, I can't post a walkthrough... i don't play a bard so I don't need to run in ramdisk... but maybe my buddy will post it... He got pissed enough that he said he was going to post the solution if we ever figured out what it was, with the hope it would help other people with the same issue.

Craigmandu 03-28-2012 11:01 AM

As edgrubermn said, I had serious issues with my bard characters until I moved the play into a ramdisk. Just to let you know what I did here are things
I tried to see if it would help the problem:

Multi-core cpu fix - didn't seem to have an effect for me.
Turn off Aero in Win 7 - didn't seem to have an effect for me.
Adjusted power profile to ensure speedstep wasn't in use - didn't seem to have an effect for me.
Duxa's all in one installer - had no appreciable effect.
Tested every possible video option in the eqclient.ini, video options, and display options within EQ - After turning everything off I noticed a slight
improvement in the amount of time the "glitch" took place (for instance it went from about 1/4 - 1/2 second to 1/8 to 1/4 second (I was able to replicate
the issue on demand just by having edgrubermn zone out, wait a few minutes and zone back in).

We finally started to run some performance monitoring of our systems and noticed a distinct hard drive access when characters zoned into the zone. I have
not been able to find a way to cache or force models to stay resident in ram within the available options in the EQ client. I have looked, and if someone
knows a way to do that (not texture caching, but MODEL caching) please please please let me know.

Okay, so that's the backstory on what I tried. And for those that say "It's not a big hit shouldn't matter....etc.." It is devastating when you have 20-30
things on your ass and that 1/8 - 1/4 second "stutter" lets them get just close enough to stun you or if you are in a turn and it happens, sometime you
will spin around completely resulting in instant death as well. I haven't tested it on a desktop machine, as I don't even own one anymore. I use an ASUS
laptop with a GForce GTX 260 video card in it and I even went as far as adjusting every possible option I could within the Nvidia driver to see if I could
stop it, but nothing worked.

So....in order to test this fix for yourself (and I'm not saying it will absolutely work for you or anything like that, this is just what worked for me)
you need to decide before you start if you want luclin models enabled or not. If you do, you must get that working within your current client before you
start.... Read this post to figure out how to do that:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...+luclin+models

If you don't want/need the luclin models then don't do the above post.

Next thing is to create an EQLite installation - Why? Because if you are on a laptop like me...the EQ Titanium client is about 3.6GB in size and I only
have 4GB of ram.... If you have 8GB of ram...you could theoretically put the whole thing in a ramdisk without making the EQLite installation. Since
I don't here is the post that shows you how to make an EQLite installation:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7186

Once you get that done you should have an EQLite folder that is 1.4-1.7 GB in size. (Mine was 1.67GB)... At this point I tested it by copying the entire
thing to a USB thumb drive (which has a much faster access time than my hard drive....1ms access vs. 15ms access on the hard drive)....and I noticed
a definite improvement, however there was still little glitches when I would open bags, change instruments etc...my guess is because the transfer rate on the
usb stick was pretty low and therefore even with the faster access time it took longer to get that infomration from the disk into ram.

So the next thing I did was to use a RAMDISK....you can download a free one from:

http://memory.dataram.com/products-a...ftware/ramdisk

The only issue with the free version is that it only allows up to 4GB of a ramdisk...but since I only have 4GB total ram this wasn't an issue.
The install is pretty easy and self explanatory. I created a ramdisk that was 2GB in size and set it to use a startup/shutdown image (so that it saves the
information in the ramdisk when you shut down the ramdisk, and uses that same file when it starts up...this way anything you saved in your client will
stay there and you won't have to copy each time.)

Once I have my 2GB ramdisk running (which windows 7 always makes the D: drive for me...) I copied the EQLite directory I created earlier in its entirety
to the D: drive...I then modified the shortcut to run EQGAME.EXE to use the new d:\eqlite\eqgame.exe and set the working directory to d:\eqlite.

I launched the game and immediately noticed that my luclin models weren't working...stopped and re-modified the globalload.txt file again for the luclin
models...started back up again and was up and running on luclin models and the entire thing in ram. Since then, I have not noticed when someone zones
into or out of a zone I am in. If there is a hiccup, I can't see it and I've pulled kites of 25-35 in NK last night and we were checking
periodically to see if people were coming in/out and I never noticed a single issue...and edgrubermn would tell me when the population in the
zone changed.

Anyway...that is exactly what I did....now, when I boot up my laptop the first thing I do before I double clik my EQ shortcut is start up the ramdisk...
wait for it to load...takes about 1 minute, launch EQ, play...

When I camp and exit EQ, I then shutdown the ramdisk to get that memory back to my system...one item of note: Take a look at your ram usage...

If you have a bunch of superfluous crap always running you may not have enough available ram to make the ramdisk big enough...needs to be at least 10ish
percent bigger than your EQLite directory. You may need to clean up your system to free up the ram needed.

If you only have 2GB of ram in whatever you are using to play EQ...this may not work well without stripping out EVERYTHING possible out of your EQLite
install....if you read the EQLite posts you can easily see where people have shrunk their EQ installations down to 300-500mB in size...

Use at your own risk....Good luck with your kiting.

edgrubermn 04-03-2012 09:14 PM

bump for bards that might need this