Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   thinking of hanging up the belt (/forums/showthread.php?t=58490)

Caravelle1 12-22-2011 01:32 PM

thinking of hanging up the belt

After a month of playing 5-8 hours a night. It dawned on me that I'm not really having that much fun. I've played the majority of PvP mmo's starting with Ultima Online, shadowbane, FPS shooters, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Dota clones.

Everquest PvP mechanics really suck. It's by far the single most imbalanced PvP game I've played. I'm not saying this cause I'm upset with my class or anything, in fact I think chanters are too good and probably need to be toned down here. PvP is BORING, there's very little variability in the skills or how you can use them on people.
EQ does not promote even fights. In my history of EQ > Playing on Sullon Zek for 4 years, and a few previous boxes to this one. I have NEVER seen an even matchup, or anything close to resembling a fair engagement. Out literally thousands of fights someone is either low on health, the groups are uneven, there's a mob agro'd on them when you engage, OOR healers, trains, zoneline disconnects.

I WANT a challenging encounter. DAOC comes to mind if anyone has ever played it PvPers respected each other and enjoyed even fair fights, so much so that if there was a 8 vs 8 fight going on, and some random people walk up and attack, the groups would disengage from each other, kill the randoms, and then restart the fight.

Not sure what I can ask for or expect. What I thought would be cool was a EQ server in a classic setting, but balance the chars for PvP. Which wont happen ever, so I'll look for something else maybe.
Exp bonus wouldnt hurt either, I'm near 50, but I feel really bad for people and see them quitting too because they find time to spend 3 hours grinding, and make 1 blue of exp.

Nirgon 12-22-2011 01:34 PM

If you don't know all the tricks and nuances, yeah it's going to seem bland. Plenty of spoilers have been dropped around here to get you started. Find a guild, do some group v group and contest spawns.

billyinorganic 12-22-2011 01:34 PM

play to win and not to have "Fun"

Szeth 12-22-2011 01:35 PM

This isn't livejournal.

Ninja 12-22-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caravelle1 (Post 500564)
After a month of playing 5-8 hours a night. It dawned on me that I'm not really having that much fun. I've played the majority of PvP mmo's starting with Ultima Online, shadowbane, FPS shooters, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Dota clones.

Everquest PvP mechanics really suck. It's by far the single most imbalanced PvP game I've played. I'm not saying this cause I'm upset with my class or anything, in fact I think chanters are too good and probably need to be toned down here. PvP is BORING, there's very little variability in the skills or how you can use them on people.
EQ does not promote even fights. In my history of EQ > Playing on Sullon Zek for 4 years, and a few previous boxes to this one. I have NEVER seen an even matchup, or anything close to resembling a fair engagement. Out literally thousands of fights someone is either low on health, the groups are uneven, there's a mob agro'd on them when you engage, OOR healers, trains, zoneline disconnects.

I WANT a challenging encounter. DAOC comes to mind if anyone has ever played it PvPers respected each other and enjoyed even fair fights, so much so that if there was a 8 vs 8 fight going on, and some random people walk up and attack, the groups would disengage from each other, kill the randoms, and then restart the fight.

Not sure what I can ask for or expect. What I thought would be cool was a EQ server in a classic setting, but balance the chars for PvP. Which wont happen ever, so I'll look for something else maybe.
Exp bonus wouldnt hurt either, I'm near 50, but I feel really bad for people and see them quitting too because they find time to spend 3 hours grinding, and make 1 blue of exp.

If you find anything good let me know lol

Palemoon 12-22-2011 01:36 PM

You are concentrateing too much on the pvp. This server is about everquest, the pvp just adds to the immersion.

Never in a million years can you compare this game/server to something like Shadowbane.

This is still a 99.9 percent PvE game, only difference is instead of waiting in lines to kill dragons (or wtf ever they do on the blue server) we can fight for it.

So if you still like Everquest as a PvE game, you will like this (more).

Fireapple 12-22-2011 01:38 PM

EQ pvp isnt intended to be a challenging skill based competitive activity, its there to fuck up peoples days and settle or create disputes.

Amuk 12-22-2011 01:53 PM

Hey I know this sweet game.

billyinorganic 12-22-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireapple (Post 500574)
EQ pvp isnt intended to be a challenging skill based competitive activity, its there to fuck up peoples days and settle or create disputes.

Truth 12-22-2011 01:56 PM

giev