Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How to get the best gaming experience when suffering from tennis elbow? (/forums/showthread.php?t=276192)

Dannermax 06-21-2017 05:28 AM

How to get the best gaming experience when suffering from tennis elbow?

Hello everyone.

Even after five years of not playing, I am dreaming about coming back to the project every month. Back in 2000 I started suffering from RSI tennis elbow ( in both arms ) , from practicing my smithing skills when playing The original EverQuest.

So I am wondering, are there anyone out there with the same condition, and how is The best way of navigating the game and avoid repetitive clicking? I have personally found out that a roller mouse it's a great help!!

Remeygi 06-21-2017 05:41 AM

1. Come back
2. Don't start any tradeskills
3. Take it easy and enjoy classic EQ

Cheers,

nostalgiaquest 06-21-2017 05:58 AM

make a bard! soon you'll have carpel tunnel too!

or make a solo class like necro or druid so you can play at your own pace.

Doctor Jeff 06-21-2017 08:44 AM

I have really bad tendonitis and use a wacom drawing pad to steer and when my arm starts getting tired I just manipulate the stylus with my fingers for a while to give it a break.

of course that just aggravates a different set of tendons and I switch back after a while.

loramin 06-21-2017 10:40 AM

Arm/wrist braces, periodic breaks and (when that isn't enough) icing my arm for 20 min.

The periodic breaks are hard to remember/do but they really help.

LiQuid 06-21-2017 02:52 PM

I'm pretty susceptible to RSI joint pain in my fingers and wrists and when I push myself to play for a long time uninterrupted it can get pretty bad.

Agreed that braces (I use elastic bandages) and breaks are the best solution. Also I find the fact that I play so many different characters with different needs and I switch between them a lot. I did a few hours in Sky last week on Plush and the constant Canni dancing absolutely murdered me after a while. The next day I was in rough shape, so I spent some time on the cleric or wizard who has much less demanding buttons to push.

For elbows, I couldn't say. A brace should be mandatory. Maybe adjust your mouse sensitivity or DPI so that you can shoulder more motion in your wrist instead of your elbow.

Dannermax 06-22-2017 01:36 PM

Thanks for all your great feedback. Seems like more than I would think, are having issues with their arms.

I am doing eccentric and concentric Exercises with my wrist and I'm doing exercises with the flex bar. It seems very promising.. I must just except that I'm never going to use a regular mouse again. But that shouldn't stop me from playing classic EQ 😃👍

Tone23 06-25-2017 11:29 PM

I just hit the gym so I can't tell what is hurting me more lol.

Darkatar 06-26-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannermax (Post 2544360)
Back in 2000 I started suffering from RSI tennis elbow ( in both arms ) , from practicing my smithing skills when playing The original EverQuest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remeygi (Post 2544361)
1. Come back
2. Don't start any tradeskills
3. Take it easy and enjoy classic EQ

Cheers,

http://i.imgur.com/hJviWhY.jpg

Came in expecting cringe "roll a bard" suggestions but was pleasantly surprised

fash 06-26-2017 12:27 AM

1. Install workrave to remind you to take breaks.
2. Don't neckbeard.
3. Don't bard.
4. Buy an ergo keyboard, or print your own.