Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Monk - 1h or 2h (/forums/showthread.php?t=273505)

maceface11 05-17-2017 10:46 AM

Monk - 1h or 2h

So. I'm level 45. And I'm still rocking a wu's quivering staff. For the massive price spike I don't really see another 2her worth getting for a small upgrade.

Is 1h a viable alternative? Like two knuckle dusters? I'm pretty lost on where to go weapon wise from here. I don't really plan on stopping 4 or so K so any suggestions would help

Croco 05-17-2017 02:15 PM

In a couple levels DW will start out dpsing your 2h and you'll want to look at ady club/SoS combo until you can get your epic. Then the best non-raid setup is epic/SoS.

At least until the 2h damage bonus buff patch goes live then 2h will go back to being king. But no one knows when that will be.

mickmoranis 05-17-2017 06:35 PM

yeah get yourself an adamantite club its pretty common to find one for reasonably cheep

Shodo 05-17-2017 06:56 PM

If you want a super cheap alternative 2x jade maces really isn't bad for 50+ due to the low delay. Otherwise ada club/sos is your go-to for 1h.

Croco 05-17-2017 10:31 PM

Having a second Jade Mace for the offhand isn't as good as having something like Knuckle Dusters because of the damage bonus mechanics.

From the wiki:
Quote:

Damage bonus only affects your primary weapon, and as a result, for maximum DPS (damage per second) you will want to put the best ratio weapon in the secondary weapon slot regardless of delay, while you will want to put a weapon with low delay in your main hand to take advantage of damage bonus (your primary weapon should be your top priority since it will swing more often and have a damage bonus).

xtraball 05-18-2017 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croco (Post 2524889)
Having a second Jade Mace for the offhand isn't as good as having something like Knuckle Dusters because of the damage bonus mechanics.

From the wiki:

Is this always the case whatever your level ?

Troxx 05-18-2017 06:21 AM

Knuckle dusters and jade mace have same ratio - making KD generally better as you get fewer ripostes.

Leveling a monk from scratch I would go WQS (200p) -> IFS (5k) -> TStaff (??k). Work on your epic but I expect IFS will outdamage epic + SOS once the new changes go in on standard ac mobs.

Croco 05-18-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtraball (Post 2525002)
Is this always the case whatever your level ?

Yes.

It's always better to have the faster weapon in your main hand to take advantage of the main hand damage bonus. Offhand doesn't get a damage bonus so that's why it's better to have a slower but good ratio weapon in your offhand.

This is why having something like trance stick main and stave of shielding, or cane of tranquil in the offhand is better than the reverse.

Spyder73 05-19-2017 05:15 PM

This isn't really applicable to you OP but thought I would share anyways. I have a raid 2h weapon (Facesmasher) that is capable of hitting for 250-300 damage in a single hit. What I have been doing is using Epic fists and then clicking in the 2H every few seconds to get the massive hits and then right back to super sonic fist speed. It honestly feels like I am a rogue when I am quading at light speed (40% worn haste + VoG) and then clicking in a 500 damage double attack with almost no delay in my fist damage.

I know this isn't your situation but never dismiss a good 2H weapon!!!!

Your next purchase should be a Peacebringer - its such a nice weapon and will do you solid until you get Epic. Then sell the Peacebringer and get a Staff of Shielding