Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What storage medium are you using? (/forums/showthread.php?t=405588)

Loiterius 07-15-2022 05:32 PM

What storage medium are you using?

I was considering putting a video together about the use of RAMDisk, and may have talked myself out of it. However, before I threw it out the window I figured I would see where the community is at in terms of storage hardware for their EQ Titanium client.

Lich 07-15-2022 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loiterius (Post 3481344)
I was considering putting a video together about the use of RAMDisk, and may have talked myself out of it. However, before I threw it out the window I figured I would see where the community is at in terms of storage hardware for their EQ Titanium client.

I have been using a 4GB RAMdisk with a slim Titanium install since March of 2021 with no issues. I have the 12GB AMD (paid) version that allows background saves. It loads the image from my HDD at startup and it updates the image as needed and during shutdown. It requires no intervention on my part but I run an occasional backup script for log files and character ini files. A battery backup is a must if you want to avoid data loss due to power failure.

PROS:
Faster loading times (Maybe slightly faster than my SSD)
No random mouse jerking/180 turns while using mouse look
Log files are not constantly writing to SSD

CONS:
The allotted RAM will not be available for use elsewhere.

Loiterius 07-15-2022 08:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Lich!

I used to use RAMDisk back in 2015 for my swarm kiting Bard. I needed it to remove a little stutter that occurred on turns.

I haven't used it since, and a lot of what I have been reading is that SSDs have resolved most of the issues. I know back then, I ran EQ on an old HDD and have long since moved entirely over to SSDs. I don't think I experience that same issue (but haven't been on my Bard in yearS)

Loiterius 07-18-2022 12:50 PM

This poll will close on 7/22. Going to bump this up a bit, even though it seems like folks are almost all on SSD at this point.

Jimjam 07-18-2022 01:13 PM

Soiled bag (small), 5 lionhide backpacks (large) and a delux tool box (giant). Pretty ghetto but it gets me by. I keep slot 8 unbagged for clickies.

I recently moved my eq install from SSD TO HDD. Haven’t raided with logs on since then. Might not be pretty.

Jibartik 07-18-2022 01:14 PM

cant wait to learn what ramdisk is with your video!

Loiterius 07-18-2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3482236)
Soiled bag (small), 5 lionhide backpacks (large) and a delux tool box (giant). Pretty ghetto but it gets me by. I keep slot 8 unbagged for clickies.

I recently moved my eq install from SSD TO HDD. Haven’t raided with logs on since then. Might not be pretty.

My game bag is weak.

Loiterius 07-18-2022 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibartik (Post 3482238)
cant wait to learn what ramdisk is with your video!

I will do my best to not let you down :D

loramin 07-18-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3482236)
Soiled bag (small), 5 lionhide backpacks (large) and a delux tool box (giant). Pretty ghetto but it gets me by.

Time to either: A) drop some plat on tink bags, or (if you're plat-spending-averse) B) spend some time with the Ferocious Shark in Kedge.

You use those bags every time you login man: gotta splurge on yourself :)

Garnaak 07-18-2022 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loiterius (Post 3481344)

Do you know what a RAMdisk is? Because I use one to run my web browsers in, simply because it is temporary and upon every reboot gets all cookies/temp files/etc wiped out. If you are backing up your RAMdisk to HDD or SSD before power down, then you would be using those for storage. The whole point of RAMdisk is being transient and fast.

Long term I keep my install on a flash drive. Then I copy those files over to any system I will be playing on. Most still have HDD because they are cheap and I have many spares laying around. Main laptop uses SSD, but I am not sure I will stick with them. HDD have much longer lifespans and they do not die instantly, they give some warning signs for you to backup your data first. Maybe SSD quality is improving. My first couple died within warranty period, but the one I am on currently appears to be much higher quality. (I use Micron SSDs)