Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Trying to install on Laptop (/forums/showthread.php?t=167452)

Rompar 10-07-2014 01:02 PM

Trying to install on Laptop

Hey guys I'm headed out of town for a few weeks and can only bring my gf's laptop to play on. What would be the easiest way to put the client on her PC?

Is it possible to copy all of it to a data stick and just transfer it that way? Or should I just start the long DL process now?

nilbog 10-07-2014 01:16 PM

You can copy/paste the folder with no install needed.

Thulack 10-07-2014 01:53 PM

copy entire p99 folder to flashdrive then just make a new shortcut with the patchme in it for her desktop

gildor 10-08-2014 11:13 AM

or just play from the flashdrive..i have sub 30 second loading times and rename the execs to autoexec.exe to keep the IT Nazis off my back for getting my game on

Rompar 10-08-2014 11:40 AM

Awesome guys! Thanks for the info.

Thulack 10-08-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gildor (Post 1639594)
or just play from the flashdrive..i have sub 30 second loading times and rename the execs to autoexec.exe to keep the IT Nazis off my back for getting my game on

You will still need to make a new shortcut as most likely the old shortcut in the EQ folder will try routing you to C:\somewhere

lawll 10-09-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thulack (Post 1639635)
You will still need to make a new shortcut as most likely the old shortcut in the EQ folder will try routing you to C:\somewhere

If he never had the program installed on his laptop before then he most likely doesn't already have shortcuts. Just make a shortcut of the launcher on your desktop or just launch it right from the drive. The software doesn't require registry entries to work.

Thulack 10-09-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawll (Post 1641084)
If he never had the program installed on his laptop before then he most likely doesn't already have shortcuts. Just make a shortcut of the launcher on your desktop or just launch it right from the drive. The software doesn't require registry entries to work.

Correct. But you need to make a shortcut to add the patchme part in the target. Either way when you copy over to a new pc you have to make a new shortcut if your putting it on the pc or just playing from the drive and want one on your desktop screen.

Edit: at one time i had a shortcut file in my EQ folder and would just copy/paste it to desktop and change the target drive letter. Either way old or new shortcut something will have to be editted in it.