Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What class should I play? (/forums/showthread.php?t=66863)

Boombha 03-03-2012 12:48 AM

I have kids, and I made up 2 major characters to play, and I play one depending on the type of night the kids are having (I only play after bedtime).

So I made a grouping character and a solo character (and a few alts). I go back and forth, some nights all is well,and I get on one character and I group and it's fun. Other nights, I grab my Necro and solo all night.

I like variety and have several alts too. One of my requirements is an easy to learn class, if your time is limited and you may be making frequent stops, a more simple class might be worth looking into.

Oh, and fwiw: I solo'd a paladin on Live, never grouped her, and had a great time. So Paladins can group and can solo imo.

Flunklesnarkin 03-03-2012 12:57 AM

enchanter is probably the most versatile of your choices.. can solo well later on and is always welcome in a group later on.

Getting started as a chanter might be a bit of a pain but once you hit 16 + shouldn't be any trouble with groups.

Monk would probably be the easiest of your choices to start with but get harder later on.

Paladin gonna have that exp penalty and some of the min / maxers might not group with you.. but its a solid exp tank imo. shouldn't have too much group trouble.

Anesthia 03-03-2012 01:29 AM

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. Kudos to those of you who recommended SKs; while I respect them, I do not want to play one. Just a personal preference.

I should clarify that I listed my likes/dislikes in order of importance. I play when my children are asleep, and I only ever need to AFK for 20-30 seconds to replace a pacifier. Playing an unforgiving game like Everquest while my children are awake is probably irresponsible parenting. ;)

Based on the feedback from the first day of the poll and Boombha's post (thanks!), I made a HE paladin and a DE enchanter. Paladin gives me tanking/healing/uniqueness and enchanter gives me action/desirability/usefulness. I made a high-elf paladin in tribute to a guy I work with IRL who played a high-elf paladin on live and was in the same guild as Fansy the Bard. Check him out for some LOLs if you haven't heard of him. Also: sorry dwarves, I don't like being short.

Please keep the feedback and poll votes coming. I always enjoy reading well thought-out posts about classes and their abilities and you might convince me to play something else!

webrunner5 03-03-2012 08:56 AM

You have to have super high strength for Plate gear and weapons. Not counting high Sta for HP. Let alone being able to loot stuff. High elf bad idea I think. There is a reason most pallys are a Dwarf.

username1337 03-03-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webrunner5 (Post 577594)
You have to have super high strength for Plate gear and weapons. Not counting high Sta for HP. Let alone being able to loot stuff. High elf bad idea I think. There is a reason most pallys are a Dwarf.

I would recommend going human if you are starting fresh and don't want to play dwarf. Compared to High Elf, Humans start with 20 less wisdom but with 20 more strength, 10 less agility but 10 more stamina. 5 more dexterity.

At 65 STR you are going to struggle to wear armor early on and it's going to be difficult to carry a lot of loot to make money.

Dwarf is still the best race for paladin in terms of stats.

Boombha 03-03-2012 10:54 PM

I solo'd a HE Paladin on live. I was able to get some items that gave me strength and it worked out okay.

It's doable, if you can get some strength gear to start you off, and if you have had other characters and have lvl'd in the past, it might not be to difficult to get some.

Slave 03-04-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boombha (Post 578142)
I solo'd a HE Paladin on live. I was able to get some items that gave me strength and it worked out okay.

It's doable, if you can get some strength gear to start you off, and if you have had other characters and have lvl'd in the past, it might not be to difficult to get some.

And you will always be quite a bit worse than a Dwarf paladin with the exact same gear.

Scavrefamn 03-04-2012 02:30 PM

Erudite Paladin is the best ever!

Zuranthium 03-04-2012 06:41 PM

The woman clearly wanted to play an elf. You people are daft.

Let me know if you need help getting your Ghoulbane.

Phased 03-04-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grozmok (Post 577001)
Not this argument again.

:rolleyes:

Haha I love SKs and group a lot with an ogre SK. The exp penalty is worth the aggro capabilities compared to a warrior.

I meant it as a joke with Mr. level 37 super monk grouped with 5 TSKs.