Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Coders] Favorite Language (/forums/showthread.php?t=73652)

somnia 05-01-2012 03:08 PM

[Coders] Favorite Language

My lovely swiss army knife: Python

Truth 05-01-2012 03:33 PM

C++

Python is cool too though prolly favorite scripting language I suppose

SamwiseRed 05-01-2012 04:47 PM

umm im a wannabe but i can do more with python than anything. would really like to get into coding one of these years :D

Diggles 05-01-2012 05:17 PM

o u no C++

someone refer to LUA as a programming language and ima stab u

quido 05-01-2012 05:25 PM

C++ all the way!

Truth 05-01-2012 05:32 PM

People always like "omg omg Lua so much better for embedding [in C/etc.] than Python"

having done both they are literally the same, easy but dum. Python better tho overall imqo

Lua claims advantage with "lightweight footprint", aka doesn't have as many libs avail as Python. Python isn't that big either, under a couple megs. Performance-wise Python a lot faster at simple stuff but falls behind with binary trees and such (kinda makes sense, since Lua only has table data type like LISP lists).

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u3...hon3&lang2=lua

Diggles 05-01-2012 05:46 PM

I used Lua a lot for wow modding, that was about it.

somnia 05-01-2012 06:09 PM

It's often unavoidable to use the ubiquitous C/C++ but I don't like using lower-level languages and prefer not to if I can avoid it. If speed is a major issue then obviously my go-to-guy but otherwise I'd rather not submit myself to unnecessary pain.

Lua huh? I've heard of it but have never programmed in it.

Truth 05-01-2012 08:16 PM

I used to hate strongly typed but now I dislike the dynamic way. So all I use p much is C++ even for simple shit (besides web obv, mostly PHP there). It's really not that bad with libraries like Boost and Qt, you can do all the stuff that's standard in a scripting language pretty easy. It'll obviously be a few more lines but is what feels comfortable to me. One thing I dislike about Python is theres no good free* editor (at least that I've found) that has a decently working autocomplete.

C sux I hate dealin w/ c strings no classes so a buncha struct functions etc. C is the #1 most widely used (obviously since is in like every driver and operating system), followed by Java (kinda a surprise to me there). I don't like Java at all, if you couldn't tell, even though it has more support than C#.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html

Prolog is a pretty cool language, logical programming or w/e. In school seen it do lots of stuff no other language can do (except maybe LISP idk). Ada can do some pretty neat shit too I have no clue how to replicate in like C++.

After awhile they all just blend together, pickin up a new one's syntax and stdlib like ridin a bike.

quido 05-01-2012 11:04 PM

Java sucks. I enjoy Assembly programming though I haven't done nearly as much of it as I have C/C++. It was fun trying out Assembly on a SPARC architecture!