Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Necro factions to preserve while leveling? (/forums/showthread.php?t=273504)

aGenda 05-17-2017 10:04 AM

Necro factions to preserve while leveling?

This question is mostly for classic and kunark era. Are there any areas a necro ought to avoid while leveling that would cause faction related issues when trying to quest later (aside from killing your own starting city factions)?

For example, it is convenient for a new gnome necro to xp in crushbone, which will lower neriak guard factions, but does that matter? You could still invis to the bank or spell vendors if you needed to go to neriak? I know part of the necro epic involves handing in an item to a dark elf npc but not sure if it would be on that faction or not.

Also if you worship Cazic and then kill Cazic in PoF does that screw anything up?

Philaw 05-17-2017 10:43 AM

In EQ we kill the gods we love for phat lootz

Jimjam 05-17-2017 12:33 PM

You kill them, you become them.

Spyder73 05-17-2017 12:39 PM

1) If you have made a non-Iskar necro you need yo re-roll immediately

2) Necros are f#cked on faction with everyone anyways - just embrace it and kill everything - you are walking death

loramin 05-17-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder73 (Post 2524537)

If this is a character you plan to keep playing a lot at level 60. Why? Because if you pick a non-Iksar then when you get to 60 you'll be equal in power to all level 60 Necromancers of any other race ... except that all of the Iksar necromancers will have a very useful racial regen power that you don't have (and the only way to fix that will be to re-roll as an Iksar).

But if you're not sure you'll ever get to 60, you understand why the Iksar regeneration is so helpful (it combines well with your Lich spell line, particularly from 50+ when the regen improves), and you'd still rather have a 40 Gnome Necromancer than a 33 Iksar Necromancer, by all means ignore the power-game-optimization advice and play what you want.

Squabbles123 05-17-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder73 (Post 2524537)

2) Necros are f#cked on faction with everyone anyways - just embrace it and kill everything - you are walking death

1: Not everyone likes or cares to min/max. I actually avoid it on purpose as its just more fun for me. I'm going out of my way to roll characters that aren't min/max like that, I'm not gonna raid here, so I'm mostly just leveling up and messing around. So if he wants to keep his gnome, I think he should! You don't HAVE to use an Iksar, it just makes life a little easier.

Spyder73 05-17-2017 03:01 PM

Iskar and Necro is the only class combo where I think you are foolish if you ignore it. Literally any other class/race combination I can get get behind. For example I made my monk Human and he is level 60 and I am happy with my choice still.

thebutthat 05-17-2017 04:21 PM

Non-iksar necro here. Its fine. You'll need to vex or life tap a little sooner. There is zero content a 60 iksar necro does that non iksar cannot.

As for faction...buy all your OT spells before your KoS from hunting in kaesora, kc, and howling stones. Other than that...it's only for convenience.

Truheart 05-17-2017 04:24 PM

still digging my human necromancer, ha

Maner 05-17-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder73 (Post 2524640)
Iskar and Necro is the only class combo where I think you are foolish if you ignore it. Literally any other class/race combination I can get get behind. For example I made my monk Human and he is level 60 and I am happy with my choice still.

As a 60 human necro who picked that combo as his first toon on p99, I have zero regrets. Screw the exp penalty if it's your first character. Get to 60 fast and then start farming to fund alts down the line. Or just take 150% longer to hit 60, so you have a little extra regen, that honestly isn't game breaking in any way. The BoB necro on the server is a gnome, who solos dragons in WW. There is nothing being a iksar gets you as a necro that is so huge you are going to regret rolling another race.