Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Never played EQ before. (/forums/showthread.php?t=179843)

Wargrade 01-31-2015 02:34 AM

Never played EQ before.

So I never played EQ before. I am looking to explore the 'roots' of the MMO scene.

Are there any groups of players out there that would welcome a newbie to their group? I am still deciding on what kind of character to create, doing my research now.

Looking forward to joining this community and meeting some good folks.

Thanks for reading.

polishanarchy 01-31-2015 01:23 PM

Welcome to the server!

I think you'll find that groups are just about everywhere -- I would recommend avoiding the Erudin, Qeynos, and Ak'Anon starting areas however. Freeport will give you quick access to East Commons, which is commerce central. Greater Faydark (Kelethin, Felwithe) is always good for new players too, though you can get lost if you aren't careful... And if you like Iksar, Field of Bone is always a great place to group early on!

Be sure to check out the project1999 wiki if you haven't found it already. There's tons of information and guides that can help get you started, not to mention maps.

ko37qtl 01-31-2015 06:24 PM

Welcome! If you've got your heart set on any of the above areas that polishanarchy wisely told you to avoid, you could also post here about it and someone would be very likely to help you get situated in a more populated area.

I don't expect you should have too much trouble if you're willing to learn and get kicked around by a game world that doesn't like us very much. It's a good community.

Lunababy 01-31-2015 07:28 PM

you're gonna have to read for about a week everything on the 99 wiki to understand how the game works. it's not difficult to understand, it's just inaccessible (that means playing the game wont teach you what you need to know).

Like, you probably don't know that bards level 40% slower than most other classes and that warriors can't hold aggro to tank without high end gear.

again; read. otherwise you're just going to die and regress your character all day and nobody will want you in a group.

whalecum to the shittiest game youve ever played!

Swish 01-31-2015 07:34 PM

It's not much different to starting any other MMORPG, you spawn naked and have to go and kill things... it gets much more fun if you can break the first 5-6 levels.

joedirt87 01-31-2015 07:47 PM

groups are always welcoming new players and don't be afraid to ask questions, people are generally very helpful on here. Met a player this morning who had never played on live but was really enjoying the game as a necro.

Wargrade 01-31-2015 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am combing the wiki now, trying to decide what class/race to start with. Hopefully I will get in the game tonight and start my journey.

Beebo11 01-31-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunababy (Post 1765624)
you're gonna have to read for about a week everything on the 99 wiki to understand how the game works. it's not difficult to understand, it's just inaccessible (that means playing the game wont teach you what you need to know).

Like, you probably don't know that bards level 40% slower than most other classes and that warriors can't hold aggro to tank without high end gear.

again; read. otherwise you're just going to die and regress your character all day and nobody will want you in a group.

whalecum to the shittiest game youve ever played!

I died

stormlord 02-01-2015 01:17 AM

At least Lunababy is honest. This way, when the player finds something bad it's not a big surprise. And for those who don't want to waste time, it'll save them the frustration.

I'll some more thigns:
1) Quests are inaccessible... like Lunbababy said. Use the wiki, ask around, talk to NPCs.
2) Most of your experience comes from grinding "monsters" alone or in groups, not from Quests
3) No in-game map or in-game radar (there used to be maps for towns)
4) Some dungeons are very twisting/turning, so it's easy to get lost until you learn them
5) Death experience loss which gets more time consuming as you gain levels
6) When you die your items get transferred to your corpse and you respawn at a bind point - so you have to travel naked back to your corpse to recover the items. This is usually not bad if you're a class which can invis or sneak, but otherwise it can be hard sometimes
7) Inventory weight and corresponding encumbrance concerns
8) Monsters can aggro and crowd together in massive numbers and they will not rubberband back to their spawnpoint unless you die or zone out or they're mezzed/blurred
9) When you select a creature, it doesn't light up like in most other games
10) You have to rest between big fights - there's no ooc regen
11) You can't solo effectively unless you play a solo-able class
12) Spells are spread across the world, so you'll have to hunt around for them
13) Not a lot of fast travel - not bad early on if you stay at noob areas
14) Getting good items by killing things on your own is almost impossible - the game is designed so you buy it from higher level players or get it in very strong groups or in raids.

gcobb 02-01-2015 01:23 AM

Welcome, sir. Type /tell aporia to send a tell to me in-game if you'd like to ask a question or need help with anything in delecto. Cheers.