Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   "Memory could not be read" (/forums/showthread.php?t=4978)

Psyduck 03-29-2010 10:07 PM

"Memory could not be read"

Hey guys, so I always play in windowed mode, and I put it back to full screen to move some bars around i couldnt reach with my cursor in windowed mode. EQ crashes, no biggie. When I log back in, I get to the server select screen and try to log in, I get this message upon which EQ crashes:

"The instruction at [letter/number combo] referenced memory at [different letter/number combo]. The memory could not be read."

Even when I try to boot it up in windowed mode again, I still get it. I have tried restarting more than once and cannot solve my dilemma. Please help!

-Psyduck

Psyduck 03-30-2010 12:15 PM

Update: I uninstalled and completely reinstalled EQ. I am having the exact same problem. I also use Windows 7 in case anyone is wondering.

I wrote down the numbers that come up in the brackets. the first one is "0x10001c6b" and the second is "0x00000018"

If anyone has any suggestion, please help. I cannot play until I resolve why EQ is crashing when it tries to boot up.

nilbog 03-30-2010 01:11 PM

Hail.

See if this helps.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...ht=memory+read

Korjyrin 04-04-2010 01:04 PM

Psyduck,

The only way I could keep from getting this error is to never run in fullscreen mode. If you are trying to get rid of this error so that you can get back into the game (without reinstalling), I would try doing the following.

1. Open up the eqclient.ini file.

2. Find the line that states,

WindowedMode=FALSE

3. Change it to,

WindowedMode=TRUE

This should allow you to get back into the game without the memory error issue. I have no idea if this is a Geforce 8800 GTX issue or what, but it took me forever to figure out how to make this stop.

Another theory that I have not tried yet is right clicking on the eqclient.ini file and making it a "read only" file. I have no idea how the EQ client would react to the read only file upon exit though. The idea here would be once you changed it to fullscreen mode in game, upon exit, it would not be able to write "WindowedMode=FALSE" back into the eqclient.ini file, causing you to get the memory error again on next start up.

I hope this helps.

-Korjyra

mixxit 04-04-2010 03:14 PM

could this be added to the getting started guide since it seems to be common these days

toxic8 08-02-2010 03:01 PM

same thing happened to me! i can't get back in. I can't locate eqclient.ini ... it's not in the /sony/everquest directory!

edit: found it

was in

C:\Users\(yourusername)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore \Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest

Drakul 08-02-2010 03:47 PM

Another thing that you could try is testing your RAM. Memory read errors can sometimes be due to damaged RAM. If you overclock your machine and alter the timing of your RAM it could also be unstable even if the RAM isn't damaged.

You could check this program, looks like free memory testing software...

http://www.memtest86.com/

EDIT: Since multiple people seem to be having the same problem I doubt you have bad RAM, but still, couldn't hurt to test it, especially if other programs start crashing on you.

bukholt 12-14-2014 12:03 PM

Started getting the same problem, runnning WinEQ 2.0 seems to fix it for me.

Mentathiel 12-14-2014 08:52 PM

Having read the thread at eqemulator.org just now, they suggest that setting the processor affinity is a possible fix for some people. Given that Everquest dates back to 1999 and single-processor systems, binding it to a single processor can't really hurt.

Change "Launch Titanium.bat" to the following if you want to try that solution:
Code:

start /affinity 1 eqgame patchme

roast_beef 01-10-2015 05:00 AM

heres how i fixed it, right click on eqgame set it to compatibility mode windows xp, and toggle the run as administrator box.

then it will finish loading instead of crashing